PDA

View Full Version : sporting news: non 1st rounders who'll have an impact

The Answer
05-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Seems like a lot of people are really high on Fine. I don't necessarily agree with this assement but I hope they are right.....

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=410957

Derek Fine, TE, Bills. A fourth-round pick, Fine will get every opportunity to contribute immediately. He flashed athletic ability and enough speed to make plays downfield. He also is a good blocker who can line up tight, in the slot or in the backfield.

~The Answer

Mitchy moo
05-16-2008, 12:25 PM
How people can translate in the NFL is a mystery but the way we TE has treated us lately, we can't do much worse.

raphael120
05-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Ok...so first he's good all around TE but isnt fast enough to stretch the field...then he's a Chris Cooley type...now he can stretch the field and will make a big impact.

Riiiiightttt

Jan Reimers
05-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Most of us hated the Fine pick, because he wasn't on our list of big name TEs. But I think he's going to be great in our three-step drop system.

DraftBoy
05-16-2008, 12:55 PM
:rofl:

That was a good chuckle for a Friday, thank you.

The Answer
05-16-2008, 01:09 PM
:rofl:

That was a good chuckle for a Friday, thank you.

Sometimes you really have to wonder if some of these sports writers have a article quota and just throw BS at a wall to see what will stick. Because it sounds like he's never read any kind of scouting report, or watched video on Fine.

~The Answer

Jan Reimers
05-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Oh, that's right. He's gonna be a bust because his name isn't Davis, Keller, Bennett or Rucker.

The Spaz
05-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Oh, that's right. He's gonna be a bust because his name isn't Davis, Keller, Bennett or Rucker.

Or they didn't have Fine highly rated in there draft guide...

trapezeus
05-16-2008, 02:32 PM
i'm ok with getting a TE that isn't super fast and lengthen's the field. as long as he's the TE that catches a 2 yard pass and takes 8 defenders on his back for the first down. That's a buffalo TE for you. The crowd goes nuts when a slow Metzlaars kind of player moves in slow motion with people struggling to bring him down.

I honestly can't remember ever having an athletic TE that ran like a WR but blocked well.

DraftBoy
05-16-2008, 02:48 PM

You forgot Finley, and Carlson.

DraftBoy
05-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Or they didn't have Fine highly rated in there draft guide...

That's what people usually go off of. Sorry I dont wear my Buffalo Bills glasses 24/7.

hydro
05-16-2008, 02:56 PM
That's what people usually go off of. Sorry I dont wear my Buffalo Bills glasses 24/7.
You on The Spaz's **** list or something?

ddaryl
05-16-2008, 02:57 PM

and of course you do realize that there are a solid percentage of pro NFL players who have not been rated high at draft time or rated at all

and you do realize there is a solid percentage of pro NFL players that have been rated high at draft time that go on to have lack luster careers or no careers at all.

I fail to see why people have little faith in Fine as a TE...

DraftBoy
05-16-2008, 03:00 PM

Have been for years....He doesn't like me. Dont ask me why, we used to be buds but now he says hurtful things :tear:

DraftBoy
05-16-2008, 03:01 PM
and of course you do realize that there are a solid percentage of pro NFL players who have not been rated high at draft time or rated at all

and you do realize there is a solid percentage of pro NFL players that have been rated high at draft time that go on to have lack luster careers or no careers at all.

No way! No way! Damn this changes evrything!

I mean seriously...?

ddaryl
05-16-2008, 03:30 PM
No way! No way! Damn this changes evrything!

I mean seriously...?

well it should at least allow you to not be so down about the pick until we've seen him play.

I'm just tired of BS opinions regarding the guy and us drafting him

I mean seriously...?

DraftBoy
05-16-2008, 03:39 PM
well it should at least allow you to not be so down about the pick until we've seen him play.

I'm just tired of BS opinions regarding the guy and us drafting him

I mean seriously...?

Ive seen him play multiple times. You can call my opinions BS all you want. I will 100% guarantee at this point that I have a much better idea of Fine's skill level and the way he plays the game of football then you do. If you dont like my opinion because its goes against the Bills, then thats one thing. But dont sit here and spout off elementary known facts to try and disprove my rankings. I dont just pull this stuff out of my ass, I actually do work on it a little bit.

FlyingDutchman
05-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Ive seen him play multiple times. You can call my opinions BS all you want. I will 100% guarantee at this point that I have a much better idea of Fine's skill level and the way he plays the game of football then you do.

Just like bc you live in Atlanta you know better than everybody else, and theres no shot in hell the Falcons pick a QB with their first pick?....that was a great prediction....

DraftBoy
05-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Just like bc you live in Atlanta you know better than everybody else, and theres no shot in hell the Falcons pick a QB with their first pick?....that was a great prediction....

Yes it was and they were dumb to pass on Dorsey for Ryan. Ryan will be a good NFL QB but nowhere near what he should be as the #3 overall pick. I liked a good bit of their draft but they made a mistake there.

The Spaz
05-16-2008, 04:24 PM

I don't like the fact that he has his head so far up his own ass. He thinks that since he is the self proclaimed "draft expert" everyone else's opinions is worthless. Call me a homer but I will wait to see if a player is actually good or bad until he plays in a game or the reports of how he practices. He has no more access to draft stuff than anybody else has.

HHURRICANE
05-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Everett was going to be an impact player also.

This is why there are 1st rounders and 4th rounders.

I'm not saying Derek couldn't be good but I'm not holding my breath either.

Philagape
05-16-2008, 05:12 PM
I have absolutely no opinion on this pick whatsoever. :dance:

FlyingDutchman
05-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Yes it was and they were dumb to pass on Dorsey for Ryan. Ryan will be a good NFL QB but nowhere near what he should be as the #3 overall pick. I liked a good bit of their draft but they made a mistake there.

seeing as you were wrong, ill go with no it wasnt. No they werent dumb. Ryan was the only real "franchise" type QB in the draft, and there really isnt much coming out next year. This was their shot to move on from the Michael Vick era and start a new one. It was drafting for a need, which almost everyone saw coming except the almighty self proclaimed draft guru who lives in their backyard. Not trying to be a ass here, but you just always come across like you know better than everybody.

Nighthawk
05-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Most of us hated the Fine pick, because he wasn't on our list of big name TEs. But I think he's going to be great in our three-step drop system.

And you know this how? What gives you the impression that he will be good? I'm not saying he won't be, but to just make this assumption is a little weird. Especially since I doubt you've ever seen him play a down.

The Spaz
05-16-2008, 07:12 PM
seeing as you were wrong, ill go with no it wasnt. No they werent dumb. Ryan was the only real "franchise" type QB in the draft, and there really isnt much coming out next year. This was their shot to move on from the Michael Vick era and start a new one. It was drafting for a need, which almost everyone saw coming except the almighty self proclaimed draft guru who lives in their backyard. Not trying to be a ass here, but you just always come across like you know better than everybody.

Ding!:rockon:

The Spaz
05-16-2008, 07:14 PM
And you know this how? What gives you the impression that he will be good? I'm not saying he won't be, but to just make this assumption is a little weird. Especially since I doubt you've ever seen him play a down.

The same way people think he will be a bust. The fact is why don't people just wait for him to do something on the field before someone ****s on him. If anyone wants to see Fine play there is a Kansas game on Monday if you have the sports package for Comcast.

Philagape
05-16-2008, 08:09 PM

Yup. It's just as presumptuous to say he'll be good as to say he'll suck.

Philagape
05-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Faith has to be earned. It has to be based on something.

Really, no rookie has earned faith.

TigerJ
05-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I have my pre draft hopes and expectations that the Bills might draft a TE with real field stretching credentials. Fine was not that guy. I can't change what the Bills did. I really don't have any expectations about what Fine will or won't be able to do. So I guess I'll just wait and see. I'm going to hope that he'll do well at whatever the Bills ask him to do, but who really knows. He's a Bill and I'll root for him. Period, end of statement.

The Spaz
05-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I have my pre draft hopes and expectations hat the Bills might draft a TE with real field stretching credentials. Fine was not that guy. I can't change what the Bills did. I really don't have any expectations about what Fine will or won't be able to do. So I guess I'll just wait and see. I'm going to hope that he'll do well at whatever the Bills ask him to do, but who really knows. He's a Bill and I'll root for him. Period, end of statement.

This is exactly how I feel. :up::beers:

YardRat
05-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Tony Hunter was drafted in the same round, before Jim Kelly.

Ooooops.

Jan Reimers
05-17-2008, 04:52 AM
I'm the all knowing guru of football talent and the fount of hope and optimism.:nod:

ddaryl
05-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Ive seen him play multiple times. You can call my opinions BS all you want. I will 100% guarantee at this point that I have a much better idea of Fine's skill level and the way he plays the game of football then you do. If you dont like my opinion because its goes against the Bills, then thats one thing. But dont sit here and spout off elementary known facts to try and disprove my rankings. I dont just pull this stuff out of my ass, I actually do work on it a little bit.

But that does not change the FACT that 1/2 of this board has been whining like a school girl about drafting Fine in the 4th rd.

you are correct, never seen him play or any college player play, so you've got me there.

however from all the scouting reports I have read I fail to see what makes him a bad pick in round 4. Plus most of the people doing the whining around here have never seen him play either.

I understand that people around here want a stud TE, but many of the highly rated TE's don't turn out to be probowlers, and there are many cases of the late drafted TE's turn out to be very serviceable / better then average players.

My ***** is with the constant complaints (and not you in particular)... wait until preseason and the season to form a strong oinion about the player... the offseason is for blind optomism.

Nighthawk
05-17-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm the all knowing guru of football talent and the fount of hope and optimism.:nod:

Well, if that is so...then I hope you're right about him!

yordad
05-17-2008, 08:52 AM
Faith has to be earned. It has to be based on something.

Really, no rookie has earned faith.No it doesn't. Else it wouldn't be called "faith". Faith, by definition, needs absolutely zero proof.

I fail to see why people have little faith in Fine as a TE...I don't have faith, I have hope. And, seems one would have to have faith in our staff, not Fine, if they wanted to place it somewhere.

"I have faith in the scouting department, and faith in the Bills staff's vison for their offense, so it gives me hope for Fine." :idunno:

Jan Reimers
05-17-2008, 09:01 AM
No it doesn't. Else it wouldn't be called "faith". Faith, by definition, needs absolutely zero proof.
I don't have faith, I have hope.
I'll bring the charity.