PDA

View Full Version : Maple Leafs ask permission from Sabres to talk to Regier about GM job

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-16-2008, 05:11 PM
WGRZ's Adam Benigini reports

the Toronto Maple Leafs still need a GM,

two sources say that the Maple Leafs have called the Sabres asking the Sabres to give Regier permission to talk to the Maple Leafs about their GM job. The Sabres declined Toronto's request. Regier has one year left on his contract and has said that he "loves Buffalo and he would like to stay and finish what the Sabres have started". That was his comment in the State of the Sabres offseason press conference on april 10th.

Toronto has also talked to the Anaheim Ducks GM Brian Burke who they really wanted and offered him a huge contract but he turned it down to stay with the Ducks.

The Leafs are a mess, Toronto is under new ownership and they just fired their coach Paul Maurice after missing the playoffs three years in a row. Leafs forward Jason Blake is on record saying that he would except a trade if the Leafs wanted to trade him. Toronto captain Mats Sundin might not be back even though he's said that he would like finish his career with Toronto he may get his wish as he has a no trade clause in his contract.

Philagape
05-16-2008, 05:21 PM
"finish what the Sabres have started" ....... "starting over" would be a better way to put it.

RockStar36
05-16-2008, 05:23 PM
I want Darcy and Lindy to stay for a long long time

clumping platelets
05-16-2008, 05:52 PM
I want Darcy and Lindy to stay for a long long time

They are not the problem

RockStar36
05-16-2008, 05:54 PM
They are not the problem

Exactly my point.

Dr. Lecter
05-16-2008, 06:06 PM
"finish what the Sabres have started" ....... "starting over" would be a better way to put it.

Not really, but whatever. No sense in rehashing it again.

Philagape
05-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Right, going from President's trophy to missing the playoffs was a normal step in the process. All part of the plan.

Dr. Lecter
05-16-2008, 06:12 PM
Not what I said.

Nice spin, though.

OpIv37
05-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Right, going from President's trophy to missing the playoffs was a normal step in the process. All part of the plan.

You just don't get it, do you?

With Buffalo sports, it's never anyone's fault.

If Miller sucks, it's the D's fault. If Vanek sucks, it's because he's not getting help from the rest of the offense. If Afinogenov sucks, it's because no one can keep up with him.

If the GM doesn't re-sign a player, it's the owner or the player's fault. If the GM overpays a guy who doesn't perform, it's Edmonton's fault.

Therefore, the GM is doing a great job even though we lost some great players and failed to make the playoffs.

Get with the program.

Nighthawk
05-16-2008, 06:58 PM
This entire organization is to blame for the embarrassment of this past season. They need to make changes to the makeup of this team and bring in some character and veteran leadership and they need players who can play. This team is WAAAAY too soft...PERIOD.

Philagape
05-16-2008, 07:18 PM
This entire organization is to blame for the embarrassment of this past season. They need to make changes to the makeup of this team and bring in some character and veteran leadership and they need players who can play. This team is WAAAAY too soft...PERIOD.

That's why I wonder if the team has hit the bottom yet. There's a lot of expensive deadweight to get rid of. The leaders they let go were so integral to their success that they can't just be replaced; and therefore it's not a matter of adding a few missing pieces. That may get them back to the playoffs, but if they have any dream of being an elite team again, they need an overhaul. That why I said starting over.

chernobylwraiths
05-16-2008, 08:01 PM
can we trade him for a first round pick?

Throw Larry into the deal too! That team will be so f'ed up in no time that we should be able to draft Tavares next year!

:D

OpIv37
05-16-2008, 08:59 PM
honestly, did Toronto think we were going to do them a favor? Even if they were going to fire Reiger tomorrow, they probably would have said no just because it's Toronto.

Dr. Lecter
05-16-2008, 10:10 PM
You just don't get it, do you?

With Buffalo sports, it's never anyone's fault.

If Miller sucks, it's the D's fault. If Vanek sucks, it's because he's not getting help from the rest of the offense. If Afinogenov sucks, it's because no one can keep up with him.

If the GM doesn't re-sign a player, it's the owner or the player's fault. If the GM overpays a guy who doesn't perform, it's Edmonton's fault.

Therefore, the GM is doing a great job even though we lost some great players and failed to make the playoffs.

Get with the program.

The GM can't sign players if higher-ups (i.e Quinn, Tom G.) don't approve the contracts he gets a player to agree to.

I don't have a problem with Darcy. If the Leafs want Quinn, they can have him.

Michael82
05-17-2008, 12:47 AM
The GM can't sign players if higher-ups (i.e Quinn, Tom G.) don't approve the contracts he gets a player to agree to.

I don't have a problem with Darcy. If the Leafs want Quinn, they can have him.
Yes they can. They can also have Golisano if another owner wants to buy the team and keep them here.

Ebenezer
05-17-2008, 12:49 AM
If Darcy gets a GM position with another team that team will be very successful.

Michael82
05-17-2008, 12:55 AM
If Darcy gets a GM position with another team that team will be very successful.
I totally agree. He's not the problem. He's actually the only thing good in this administration. Now get rid of Larry Quinn and maybe Golisano, and this team would be 10x better in the long run.

chernobylwraiths
05-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Darcy is not without his faults.

JD
05-17-2008, 11:58 AM
I wonder the turn out if quinn was hung at lafeyette square

Buffatexas
05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
They are not the problem

after what 10+ years and no cups??....are we really 100% sure that they are not at least partially to blame?

Michael82
05-20-2008, 12:37 AM
I wonder the turn out if quinn was hung at lafeyette square
:rofl: I know it would be very wrong, but there would probably be more fans there than the attendance at the arena....

Ebenezer
05-20-2008, 12:47 AM
after what 10+ years and no cups??....are we really 100% sure that they are not at least partially to blame?
you can only do what you are allowed to do by those higher up...not being a homer but Ruff may be the best coach in the NHL.

jamze132
05-20-2008, 09:10 AM
We're faking the league out with a misdirection play. They won't know what hit them next year!

Valerie
05-20-2008, 09:50 AM
WOW! Poor Toronto! I guess no one wants to go to that losing team. :( Sounds to me like they're up ****'s creek without a paddle.

RockStar36
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Darcy's track record speaks for himself. He is a good GM. I'm sure if it were his money and up to him they would've signed some of the people that they didn't but he doesn't make the final call.

Dozerdog
05-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Given the crappy resources Darcy and Lindy have had to put up with the past few years (Bankrupt & arrested owner, Larry Quinn, ect....) those two have been miracle workers getting to what, a cup final and a couple of Eastern conference finals.

I compare the Sabres to Ottawa and Edmonton a lot- smaller markets with similar economic stresses. Over the past 10 years they have had a lot better playoff record than those two clubs.

Darcy seems to have a good knack of making decent trade deadline deals.

RockStar36
05-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I'd also note that the Sabres have done an excellent job of bringing people up through the organization instead of just buying up free agents. Players like Miller, Pominville, Roy, etc are because the Sabres FO did very good work.

Philagape
05-22-2008, 11:49 AM
So good they missed the playoffs.

Dr. Lecter
05-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Do you ever look at the big picture and what actually caused that?

Philagape
05-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Don't I harp about what caused it all the time?

RockStar36
05-22-2008, 12:16 PM
So good they missed the playoffs.

And made it the past two seasons. WHAT is your point?

Philagape
05-22-2008, 12:18 PM
And made it the past two seasons.

Because of players who are no longer here. My point was the players they left behind weren't good enough, so that doesn't sound like very good work.

RockStar36
05-22-2008, 12:50 PM
If they don't make the playoffs this coming season then I'll agree with you but one year doesn't full convince me of that.

Philagape
05-22-2008, 01:13 PM
I won't be convinced until they make it back to the level they were at. Elite.

SabreEleven
05-24-2008, 09:53 AM

because they were young and had no good locker room leadership?

RockStar36
05-25-2008, 12:03 PM
I won't be convinced until they make it back to the level they were at. Elite.

Elite would make me think this team won a championship or at least played for one. But I think I remember the Sabres falling short in the playoffs the last two years. But hey, I guess that means a few years ago the Philadelphia Eagles were also an elite team.