• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

I just don't see playoffs.

I keep looking at this roster and I just don't see playoffs:

1) Stroud is a huge question mark. I feel like his name is bigger than what we are going to get out of him.

2) Hardy is replacing Peerless Price so this is an instant upgrade. However, if he plays like a rookie, which is likely, than maybe we get 400 yards out of him and 4 TDs.

3) McKelvin is a nice pick but I see his impact being limited to a Ko Simpson type first year.

4) This is Mitchell's third team in three years. He's a veteran upgrade at LB but not a dominant player.

The reality is that this team is relying on the returns of Poz and Simpson while hoping for the development of the 2nd year players in Lynch and Edwards.

This is not a negative thread. I'm looking for serious explanations on why you think we make the playoffs this year.
  • MikeInRoch
    • Sep 2003

Re: I just don't see playoffs.

How many more times do we get to see this post before the season starts?
    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

I started a similiar thread a few weeks ago. I would like to see some proof in gametime play, then I'll get thrilled.

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
        This is not a negative thread. I'm looking for serious explanations on why you think we make the playoffs this year.
        Because I like to think we will make the playoffs (?). I really think it is that simple. Really I can think of about a dozen reasons, but this is the best one.

Seems some people are afraid to think they will for fear of a big let down. Well, in the words of a great poet and philosopher named 50 cent "Joy wouldn't feel so good if it wasn't for pain".
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Because of FAs, draft picks, players returning from injury, and the development of 2nd and 3rd year guys, I see us stronger at every position:

The DT corps of Stroud (new), McCargo (improved), Johnson (new) and Williams (improved).

DEs Schobel, Kelsay (back from injury), Denney (back from injury) and Ellis (situational pass rusher).

Starting LBs Crowell, Poz (back from injury) and Mitchell (new), with Ellison (starting experience), DiGiorgio (starting experience) and Bowen (new) backing up.

CBs McKelvin (best CB in the draft), McGee, Greer (starting experience), James (veteran presence) and Corner (new).

Safeties Whitner (improved), Simpson (back from injury), Wilson (starting experience) and Wendling (great athlete).

The O line because of experience together and the continued development of Peters and Butler.

QB Edwards (improved) and Losman (starting experience).

RB Lynch (improved) plus Jackson (starting experience), Wright and Omon (might be a gem).

TE Fine ( new - good hands, smart, high effort), Royal, Anderson/Johnson (one needs to emerge).

WRs Evans, Hardy (should take some pressure off Evans), Parrish, Reed, Johnson (new). We've added some good size.

FBs Barnes, Evans and Viti. One needs to emerge.

That's the optimistic approach, but when you compare position by position, last year against this year, I'm not sure how you can't be excited.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

Well, the dozen or so reasons I just referred to, Jan just covered most. To make a long story short for yall:

Not one position should be worst off. Nearly every single position should be better.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
              How many more times do we get to see this post before the season starts?
              well he's used the reason that not moving up the draft, not drafting a top DE,not bringing back MOulds and plus the ones he's listed up there so far as reasons why we're not gonna make playoffs. Next week, we won't make playoffs because we have no depth behind Moorman. So don't hitch your horses on the wagon yet.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• raphael120
                Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                • Oct 2005

1) Stroud is a huge question mark. I feel like his name is bigger than what we are going to get out of him.

2) Hardy is replacing Peerless Price so this is an instant upgrade. However, if he plays like a rookie, which is likely, than maybe we get 400 yards out of him and 4 TDs.

3) McKelvin is a nice pick but I see his impact being limited to a Ko Simpson type first year.

4) This is Mitchell's third team in three years. He's a veteran upgrade at LB but not a dominant player.

The reality is that this team is relying on the returns of Poz and Simpson while hoping for the development of the 2nd year players in Lynch and Edwards.

Heres a way to look at it...we went 7-9 last year with a rookie QB, and injuries out the wazoo when our starting roster had no realized (meaning we had talent it was just raw and young) talent to begin with..and as Josh freakin Reed as our #2 WR. In all honesty we SHOULD HAVE won Denver and Cowboys....thats the coaches fault...so the players were good enough to go 9-7...with those upgrades and rookies...i would hope we could improve a few games. Meaning if were better than last year and if we can move the ball just that much better to score another FG a game, then we're looking at 10-6, 11-5.

Im as reluctant as you...it's part of the losing culture in Buffalo and it's not really the fans fault. I hope for the best but expect the worst because usually it's bad, but not as bad as I think...for just once I want to expect the good and have the Bills do even better than I thought. This is the first year in a long time where we've built up our team to the point where we should be realizing the pinnacle of all this "building". It's playoffs time for this team or this team is really going nowhere and we need a new course of action. I hope for many reasons this whole Jauron thing works because if not it's yet another flopped coach.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

come on hhurricane.... we know your position, one more thread doesn't convince us anymore then the last thread questioning our improvement. in fact my arguments for going to theplayoffs are unphased by anything until after preseason.

I'm a blind optomist in the offseason and torturing us with disbelieving opinions won't make any difference for the glass 1/2 full crew.

I'll re-evaluate our real chances after preseason and a few regualar season games. That is the only way I could possibly make a true hypothesis on our destiny. So until then we're not only going to the playoffs were going to win it all... 19-0 baby !!!! no asteriks.

Comment

• Goobylal
                    • Jan 2004

Don't forget the easiest schedule the Bills have had in years.

But hey, pessimism is a wonderful defense mechanism. This way HH won't be disappointed with the season.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

Originally posted by Goobylal
                      Don't forget the easiest schedule the Bills have had in years.

But hey, pessimism is a wonderful defense mechanism. This way HH won't be disappointed with the season.
                      Among my reasons for optimism, I not only forgot our fairly easy schedule, but the better offensive playcalling that we're likely to get from Turk.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                        Among my reasons for optimism, I not only forgot our fairly easy schedule, but the better offensive playcalling that we're likely to get from Turk.
                        The better play-calling from Turk remains to be seen, but I can easily say it won't be worse. I think and hope it will be better. But I expect also there to be not as many injuries and better depth in case there are some, the younger players to continue to improve, and the new guys to make an impact.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                          Roways rooking ahread!
                          • Sep 2005

Our schedule is only as easy as our opponent's improvements.

Comment

• Mahdi
                            • Mar 2004

Our team is better than it was last year in the secondary, LB corps and DL. We are also upgraded at WR, TE and 3rd RB with Omon over Wright. The OL will be upgraded with experience and having played a year together with another full offseason ahead. Trent will also be coming into this year with experience and the advantage of TC as the starter. We also have a weaker schedule than last year. Of course Trent's progression can slump and we can have a horrible year but realistically players progress from year to year not regress which is why ppl ultimately believe the Bills can make a run this year.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                              • Sep 2003

How hard is it to dismiss everything the Bills have done and say they aren't going to get better? I can say everything will be awesome and we will win the Super Bowl. Why not split down the middle and say half of what they did will work out. When you figure they lost two last-second games last year, If half of their moves work out, plus their easy schedule, the playoffs are a lock.

PTR

10 Commandments of the D
                              1. Never stop Rocking.
                              2. Legalize all drugs.
                              3. Quit your day job.
                              4. All Religion should be taxed.
                              5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                              6. F**k her gently.
                              7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                              8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                              9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                              10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

Working...
                              X