PDA

View Full Version : Notes from today's workouts

Philagape
05-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Notes: Backup quarterback J.P. Losman practiced, but declined to talk to reporters afterwards. Losman's agent, Gary Wichard, told the Associated Press in January that his client preferred to be traded, but stressed that Losman would play out the final year of his contract if there's no deal made. ... Starting left tackle Jason Peters, punter Brian Moorman and rookie fullback Mike Viti were the only players who weren't at the workout. ... Hardy made a nifty reception over veteran cornerback Terrence McGee along the right sidelines on a deep throw by Edwards. ... Linebacker Paul Posluszny was back on the field after a broken forearm he sustained in Week 3 last year forced him to miss the rest of his rookie season.

from AP; Yahoo should have it up soon.

Philagape
05-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Evans on Hardy:
"I watched him play in college and he has tremendous ability," Evans said. "He does a lot of good things and a lot of things well. He uses his hands and he certainly uses his body. I'm certainly looking forward to him coming out here, stepping up, playing and making a lot of plays. I think he'll serve as a big compliment."

The Answer
05-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Notes: Backup quarterback J.P. Losman practiced, but declined to talk to reporters afterwards. Losman's agent, Gary Wichard, told the Associated Press in January that his client preferred to be traded, but stressed that Losman would play out the final year of his contract if there's no deal made. ... Starting left tackle Jason Peters, punter Brian Moorman and rookie fullback Mike Viti were the only players who weren't at the workout. ... Hardy made a nifty reception over veteran cornerback Terrence McGee along the right sidelines on a deep throw by Edwards. ... Linebacker Paul Posluszny was back on the field after a broken forearm he sustained in Week 3 last year forced him to miss the rest of his rookie season.

from AP; Yahoo should have it up soon.

This must be a mistake because I'm pretty sure that Trent can't throw the ball downfield?

~The Answer

The Spaz
05-19-2008, 04:03 PM
This must be a mistake because I'm pretty sure that Trent can't throw the ball downfield?

~The Answer

That is a myth based on one play in particular.

Mr. Miyagi
05-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Hardy made a nifty reception over veteran cornerback Terrence McGee along the right sidelines on a deep throw by Edwards.
:bf1:

TacklingDummy
05-19-2008, 04:09 PM

~The Answer

That must be why JP declined to talk to reporters afterwards.

This situation is going to turn cancerous.

HHURRICANE
05-19-2008, 04:20 PM

~The Answer

Awesome.

The Answer
05-19-2008, 04:24 PM

I give JP credit - only a true 'class act' would decline speaking with the local media. Hopefully he still stops to sign an autograph when his legions of loyal fans swarm him.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-19-2008, 04:39 PM

~The Answer
No one said that about Trent . You must've read wrong as usual. People say that about the Wiley unemployed.

Philagape
05-19-2008, 04:41 PM

It's not really based on anything.

justasportsfan
05-19-2008, 04:45 PM

This situation is going to turn cancerous. :rofl:

Captain gameboy
05-19-2008, 04:49 PM

~The Answer

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b87VUFugL4

Go to the 8:58 mark.

TigerJ
05-19-2008, 05:14 PM
There was a pass play or two last season where Edwards went deep and underthrew the ball a little. That did spark a few comments. I don't read too much into it. Edwards doesn't have Losman's cannon, but I think he's strong enough, and the offseason strength training should help him in that regard.

justasportsfan
05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
There was a pass play or two last season where Edwards went deep and underthrew the ball a little. That did spark a few comments. I don't read too much into it. Edwards doesn't have Losman's cannon, but I think he's strong enough, and the offseason strength training should help him in that regard.
the guy has an arm. He just needs to use it more on a consistent basis.

Philagape
05-19-2008, 05:28 PM
There was a pass play or two last season where Edwards went deep and underthrew the ball a little. That did spark a few comments.

Not from people who knew better.

The last buffalo fan
05-19-2008, 05:33 PM

He played terrific ball last year for us as our starting QB, but my only concern are the bad weather games, plus the "great" OC he had. I'm glad he is gone now.

patmoran2006
05-19-2008, 06:08 PM

you know.. I know your intending to make this thread all about Losman and in essence highjack the thread.

The problem is I agree with your point. I doubt he talks to the media all year either.

why keep a backup QB that has literally no chance of being back next year.. I dont care if he starts and throws 60 TDs this year, he will sprint from this city when his time is up.

Im still shocked they didnt land a true backup like Cleo Lemon, or take a look at Culpepper.

Goobylal
05-19-2008, 06:11 PM
you know.. I know your intending to make this thread all about Losman and in essence highjack the thread.

The problem is I agree with your point. I doubt he talks to the media all year either.

why keep a backup QB that has literally no chance of being back next year.. I dont care if he starts and throws 60 TDs this year, he will sprint from this city when his time is up.

Im still shocked they didnt land a true backup like Cleo Lemon, or take a look at Culpepper.
They're hoping someone's starter goes down and they can trade him. If that doesn't happen, you keep him for the year and sign one of the scrubs you mentioned NEXT year.

Night Train
05-19-2008, 06:13 PM
The film I saw on the local news looked encouraging. Edwards was hitting both Evans & Hardy in stride.

yordad
05-19-2008, 06:19 PM

~The AnswerWell, deep is a relative term.

mayotm
05-19-2008, 06:29 PM

Im still shocked they didnt land a true backup like Cleo Lemon, or take a look at Culpepper.Who cares if Losman doesn't want to speak with the media? Would you rather he answer a bunch of questions about being the back-up? By not shooting off his mouth to the media he's being a team guy. He's at OTA's going about his business. To me, that shows he will not be a distraction.

yordad
05-19-2008, 06:35 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b87VUFugL4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b87VUFugL4)

Go to the 8:58 mark.The play started at the 30. He dropped back to the 24. It was caught on the 29. This was with the aid of 6mph wind in his favor. That is 41 yards from the line of scrimmage, and 47 yards in total. Which is about exactly how far I can throw a football.

Now, I am not saying he cannot throw it farther. And, I am not saying he hasn't maybe done so in college. Just saying I haven't seen it. And, I am saying because I haven't seen it, I have doubt about his ability to make a longer throw into the wind if need be. I hope that added muscle gave him some more arm strenght, because I don't think it could hurt.

M
05-19-2008, 06:39 PM

And we all know that the reporters would have asked him about his current situation. So, what's he supposed to say:

A) "I should be the starter" ... he's not a team player, he's a cancer, etc.
B) "I accept my role as a backup" ... who wants someone on the team that is content to be a backup? And I'm not saying he's a starting QB but no one should be on the team that is content to be a bench warmer.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Mitchy moo
05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
The play started at the 30. He dropped back to the 24. It was caught on the 29. This was with the aid of 6mph wind in his favor. That is 41 yards from the line of scrimmage, and 47 yards in total. Which is about exactly how far I can throw a football.

Now, I am not saying he cannot throw it farther. And, I am not saying he hasn't maybe done so in college. Just saying I haven't seen it. And, I am saying because I haven't seen it, I have doubt about his ability to make a longer throw into the wind if need be. I hope that added muscle gave him some more arm strenght, because I don't think it could hurt.

Did it ever dawn on you that it might have been a designed 47 yard route in the first place?? Throwing the length of the field means very little on the average, ask Randall Cunningham. RC almost got sacked in the end zone against the Bills and threw a 50 + yard bomb off his back foot. I also watched a QB passing contest thing that they hold on occasion and he threw like 70 + yards alot. Did any of that get him a ring or glory??

X-Era
05-19-2008, 06:43 PM

Doesnt a myth have no evidence to support it?

Philagape
05-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Which is about exactly how far I can throw a football.

With how much of a running start? Wearing equpment? With 260-pound linemen trying to kill you? And hitting the receiver perfectly in stride (which is the important part)?

X-Era
05-19-2008, 06:46 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b87VUFugL4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b87VUFugL4)

Go to the 8:58 mark.

that might just be one of the most poignant responses of all time.

Fantastic response!

TigerJ
05-19-2008, 08:39 PM
the guy has an arm. He just needs to use it more on a consistent basis.I agree. I think coming out of Stanford, which played football without an offensive line (well almost) he came into the league a little gun shy. His response was to try to read plays and make up his mind as fast as he could. On some plays the first option might be a guy running a deep route, but that route might take a little longer to come open. I suspect that sometimes in his sense of urgency to get rid of the ball quickly, Edwards was dumping off rather than wait the extra half second for his primary receiver ti come open. It's the exact opposite tendency that Losman has. Hopefully, Edwards can work and moving toward the middle, having a sense of when to hold on and when to dump off.

acehole
05-19-2008, 09:05 PM
the guy has an arm. He just needs to use it more on a consistent basis.

Exactly. He does have an arm....can throw long. The question is his long ball accuracy. He might be scared to get hit as those plays take long to develop. Possibly his new muscles will help out those questions.

acehole
05-19-2008, 09:15 PM
They're hoping someone's starter goes down and they can trade him. If that doesn't happen, you keep him for the year and sign one of the scrubs you mentioned NEXT year.

Yes or our starter.

DraftBoy
05-19-2008, 10:34 PM
With how much of a running start? Wearing equpment? With 260-pound linemen trying to kill you? And hitting the receiver perfectly in stride (which is the important part)?

I can throw it 43 with one step up, and equipment on.

Hitting the receiver and under pressure probably between 35-37. Am I supposed to be proud of myself now?

This whole argument is stupid. Micheal Vick could throw it out of the back of the endzone and he sucked, Chad Pennington can barely throw the ball 35 yards and he sucks. Arm strength matters little in the overall ability of the QB. Edwards has average arm strength, I think we all wish it was a little better so he has some better velocity and a tighter deep ball, but so be it.

Philagape
05-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Arm strength matters little in the overall ability of the QB.

Agreed. The pass was exactly where and when it needed to be, that's what matters.

DraftBoy
05-19-2008, 11:06 PM
Agreed. The pass was exactly where and when it needed to be, that's what matters.

Now if he can do it consistently he'll stop getting the criticism, every once in a while isn't going to cut it this year.

yordad
05-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Did it ever dawn on you that it might have been a designed 47 yard route in the first place?? Throwing the length of the field means very little on the average, ask Randall Cunningham. RC almost got sacked in the end zone against the Bills and threw a 50 + yard bomb off his back foot. I also watched a QB passing contest thing that they hold on occasion and he threw like 70 + yards alot. Did any of that get him a ring or glory??First, Randall Cunningham was F'in awesome. Do you think the lack of rings was his fault?

Second, a 47 yard designed play? Actually, it would have been a 41 yard route. Do you think it was designed to go exactly 41 yards? Any ways, for arguments sake, say it was called for 41 yards, how does that prove he can throw it farther again?

With how much of a running start? Wearing equpment? With 260-pound linemen trying to kill you? And hitting the receiver perfectly in stride (which is the important part)?It was accuate, but was it far? And, forget that one, the point is, where any far? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the hail mary in the most important throw of every game. But, arm strenth is arm strength. And, that was the original issue.

Maybe with a rainbow arc on the throw that would make a leprichan envious....

:dance:

Just goofing with you
:respect::D:roflmao:Your right, but I ain't an NFL QB either.

Philagape
05-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Now if he can do it consistently he'll stop getting the criticism, every once in a while isn't going to cut it this year.

What is the best feasible completion percentage for 40-yard-plus passes?
P. Manning was 0 for 2. Palmer was 4 for 14. Big Ben was 2 for 8. I couldn't find a QB who completed half his passes over 20 yards, and most weren't even close.
If Edwards consistently hits long passes, I think he'd be the first one. Ever.

Philagape
05-19-2008, 11:21 PM
It was accuate, but was it far?

Are you really trying to say distance is more important than accuracy? The original issue isn't as important as accuracy.

yordad
05-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Are you really trying to say distance is more important than accuracy? The original issue isn't as important as accuracy.I am not doing this for 50 pages, where did I say arm strength was more important? Actually, don't bother answering, because I didn't say that, and I am not wanting to respond to your misunderstanding of what I typed, again. AND, the fact accuracy is more important doesn't change the fact we were talking about arm strength.

Philagape
05-19-2008, 11:34 PM
I am not doing this for 50 pages, where did I say arm strength was more important? Actually, don't bother answering, because I didn't say that, and I am not wanting to respond to your misunderstanding of what I typed, again. AND, the fact accuracy is more important doesn't change the fact we were talking about arm strength.

I asked a question. That's what a question mark means.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-20-2008, 01:33 AM
I agree. I think coming out of Stanford, which played football without an offensive line (well almost) he came into the league a little gun shy. His response was to try to read plays and make up his mind as fast as he could. On some plays the first option might be a guy running a deep route, but that route might take a little longer to come open. I suspect that sometimes in his sense of urgency to get rid of the ball quickly, Edwards was dumping off rather than wait the extra half second for his primary receiver ti come open. It's the exact opposite tendency that Losman has. Hopefully, Edwards can work and moving toward the middle, having a sense of when to hold on and when to dump off.

There was an article in the Buffalo News after the game in which Edwards hit his one big bomb to Evans last season--an article that I have quoted in previous posts--where Schonert and Fairchild essentially said this same thing.

I'm not sure now which coach said it, but one of the two coaches said that, because Edwards was concerned about turning the ball over, he probably wasn't waiting long enough for deep patterns to develop and was checking down to his other receivers, while Losman might have a tendency to wait too long on the long patterns and not check down quickly enough. He said that he thought that, by watching Losman (in his second turn starting at QB), Edwards was learning to be a bit more patient with the long patterns, while, from watching Edwards, Losman was learning that he could be successful checking down more at times.

As for Edwards being able to play in bad weather and wind: Last year in Cleveland was the first time that Edwards had ever played in a game colder than 47 degrees--and it obviously showed. But, I think that, with experience, he will learn how to deal with snow and cold--and in Buffalo he will have a chance to get plenty of experience playing in the cold.

Even if he gets stronger and gains arm strength, Edwards will never have a cannon like Losman--Losman has one of those rare gifts that you either have or you don't. That doesn't mean that Edwards can't make all of the throws that a NFL QB should be able to make--he can.

But, where the difference will show up is in the very windy weather--and, again, in Buffalo that could be an issue. You can't expect Edwards to make the kind of 40+ yard throw into a 30+ mph wind that Losman made when he overthrew Evans in the first half of the game against the Jets two years ago. But, then again, there aren't and haven't been that many QBs in the NFL who could make that throw. Joe Ferguson couldn't make that throw and I'm not sure that even Jim Kelly could have.

But, that's where the OC has to adjust the offense to deal with the wind. And, lot's of OCs who have brought their teams into Buffalo on a windy October day have been able to do just that over the years. With Edwards' ability to throw the short pass accurately and string completions together, he still has the ability to move the ball into the wind--it's just that part of his arsenal will be taken away for half of the game. Still, that doesn't mean that he can't get the job done, even if his arm isn't strong enough to throw the deep ball into a stiff breeze.

Jeff George (who JP is increasingly starting to remind me of) had a much stronger arm than Joe Montana, but Montana had a lot of other qualities that made him a much more successful NFL QB. Arm strength can be an advantage, but it isn't nearly as important as some of those other qualities that Montana possessed. Needless to say, you'd love to have a QB who had all of those qualities, but they don't come along very often...almost never.

jamze132
05-20-2008, 02:54 AM

I doubt it does, but if so, we can trade him up to week 6. If he plans on making a stink out of it, he needs to do it now. If he waits until after week 6 to start whining, he is just screwing himself and his future. Teams will see that he is a whiner if he doesn't get his way for an entire season.

jmb1099
05-20-2008, 05:28 AM
Got to agree here. Watched it a few times and not only did he hot him in stride, but it dropped over his head right into his hands. It was in fact one of the more skilled throws I have seen in some time. How anyone cannot like accuracy is beyond me. So the question for me isn't arm strength, it isn't accuracy, its consistency. Can he make plays like that on a consistent basis? It has been well documented that he didn't have what you would call a stellar season, but it should also be noted that it was his rookie year. Also, considering some of the other nice plays he made last year, I really don't see consistency being the problem either. The only foreseeable issue I see with Edwards is health related. The man had taken a beating throughout his college career and has had some injuries. He might be fine, but my bet is that his issue will be his health. If it holds up though, I think we might have a decent qb. Of course I wanted to believe that about Losman as well, so again, only times will tell, but all indicators point to the positive.

mybills
05-20-2008, 06:08 AM
:bf1:

DraftBoy
05-20-2008, 06:26 AM
What is the best feasible completion percentage for 40-yard-plus passes?
P. Manning was 0 for 2. Palmer was 4 for 14. Big Ben was 2 for 8. I couldn't find a QB who completed half his passes over 20 yards, and most weren't even close.

Yea the fact that you are using those three QBs as your compairson points damages the credibility of your argument.

justasportsfan
05-20-2008, 07:13 AM
you know.. I know your intending to make this thread all about Losman and in essence highjack the thread.at least Moran got one thing right in this post

First of all, JP is a better back up than both Cleo and Culp . He's more familiar with his players. There is continuity should Trent go down with an injury.

2nd If JP comes in to start there has to be something wrong with Trent. You also get to find out what JP's got. If he scores 60 TDs at least you have A SHOT at rehiring him. If He comes in and scores 60 tds I GUARANTEE YOU DICKS JOB IS SAFE.

3rd If you are trying to resign JP's buddy Evans, you don't get rid of JP until Evans is signed.

Now go and write a blog about it.

Bulldog
05-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Yea the fact that you are using those three QBs as your compairson points damages the credibility of your argument.

How so?

justasportsfan
05-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Don't look far. Our back up was the best at it in 06.

acehole
05-20-2008, 07:24 AM
I doubt it does, but if so, we can trade him up to week 6. If he plans on making a stink out of it, he needs to do it now. If he waits until after week 6 to start whining, he is just screwing himself and his future. Teams will see that he is a whiner if he doesn't get his way for an entire season.

James that was his atempt at sarcasm.

Philagape
05-20-2008, 07:31 AM

Use any QBs. Name one that hits long passes "consistently."