PDA

View Full Version : Success in Toronto could help keep Bills in Buffalo

THATHURMANATOR
05-20-2008, 07:44 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/350831.html

I am for the 1 game a year(just wish it wasn't the Miami game but I am already over that)

Buffalo Bills fans should hope the team’s venture into Toronto is a colossal success. That looks like the best hope for the long-term survival of the Bills in Buffalo.

The odds are not great that the Bills will remain in Buffalo when the estate of owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr., 89, puts the franchise up for sale, given the current economic landscape in the NFL.

It’s easy to see how someone from one of the biggest markets in North America –Los Angeles or Toronto –could pay upwards of $1 billion for the Bills in an open auction and make the investment work.

It’s hard to see how someone who wants to keep the team in Buffalo could make a winning bid for the franchise –unless the Toronto experiment helps the Bills shake off their small-market burden.

A financially strong franchise would give some of the Bills’ most powerful supporters –in particular NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and U. S. Sen. Charles E. Schumer –more leverage in trying to influence an outcome in Buffalo’s favor.

“If the franchise is viable, I will fight to keep it in Buffalo,” Goodell told The News.

The key to that statement, of course, is the qualifier “if the franchise is viable.”

“I am committed to doing everything I can to keep the Bills in Buffalo,” Schumer told The News. “They’re the heart and soul of Buffalo.”

Schumer’s influence was helpful in the passage of an enhanced revenue-sharing plan that NFL owners approved last year. He said there would be no shortage of prospective buyers interested in keeping the team in Buffalo who will come forward when the time comes.

“I am working closely with Roger Goodell, and we are lucky that we have a commissioner who not only is from Western New York but remembers that he’s from Western New York. I believe he is truly committed to helping us keep the Bills in Buffalo.”

Schumer also said he has no doubt Wilson is doing everything he can to try to ensure the Bills’ financial viability.

“If Ralph wasn’t committed to Western New York, he could have sold this team for a lot of money many times in the past to someone who would have moved it away.”

justasportsfan
05-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Miami is the one team we are most likely to beat. I wouldn't want our canadian neighbors watch the bills get our asses handed by the Pats or a better team. That's not good marketting.

THATHURMANATOR
05-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Miami is the one team we are most likely to beat. I wouldn't want our canadians neighbors watch the bills get our asses handed by the Pats or a better team. That's not good marketting.
You do have a point.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-20-2008, 07:56 AM
75% of the people going to that game are not going to be Bills fans.

THATHURMANATOR
05-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Hmm You could be right.

justasportsfan
05-20-2008, 07:57 AM
You do have a point.
I made that point before but you didn't like it. :mad:

justasportsfan
05-20-2008, 07:59 AM

Hopefully we can convert 50% of that 75% as long as we win.

Pride
05-20-2008, 08:19 AM

.........yet

jamze132
05-20-2008, 08:50 AM
They might be one day...

jamze132
05-20-2008, 08:53 AM
I think the key to staying in Buffalo hinges in my ability to win the mega gazillion lottery. I would buy the team and build a stadium on the waterfront with a retractable roof that would only remain open during Bills games.

THATHURMANATOR
05-20-2008, 08:56 AM
I made that point before but you didn't like it. :mad:
I know I was being irrational and emotional though.

THATHURMANATOR
05-20-2008, 08:56 AM
I have decided after much deliberation that we Bills fans in buffalo MUST embrace this and form a bond with Toronto.

Michael82
05-20-2008, 11:39 AM
I have decided after much deliberation that we Bills fans in buffalo MUST embrace this and form a bond with Toronto.
So, we must buy the tickets and sell them to the Canadians who want to see the game for a very high price! :up:

justasportsfan
05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
So, we must buy the tickets and sell them to the Canadians who want to see the game for a very high price! :up:
I think this is the part where you start blasting canadians and TO for stealing the bills.

TacklingDummy
05-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Success in Toronto could help keep Bills in Buffalo

Success could also backfire. When they see how much money they make for 1 game, they might decide that 8 games would make even more money.

HAMMER
05-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Success in Toronto could help keep Bills in Buffalo

Success could also backfire. When they see how much money they make for 1 game, they might decide that 8 games would make even more money.

When Ralph passes to the great beyond, the Bills will be moving to the great white north. No question, get used to the idea.

THATHURMANATOR
05-21-2008, 07:31 AM
When Ralph passes to the great beyond, the Bills will be moving to the great white north. No question, get used to the idea.
You could be right. At that point I wouldn't have to get used to anything as I would never watch the NFL ever again.

Jan Reimers
05-21-2008, 07:41 AM
I agree. Ralph's stated objective of selling to the highest bidder virtually assures that, even if the Bills are still a successful and viable operation in Buffalo.

HAMMER
05-21-2008, 08:39 AM
You could be right. At that point I wouldn't have to get used to anything as I would never watch the NFL ever again.

Yes you would, you are just being "irrational and emotional", again.