X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djjimkelly
    • Apr 2003

no cap would actually be better for a team like bills

the biggest difference for all team with a cap vs no cap is when rookies can become unrestricted free agents

under salary cap era = rookie becomes FA as early as 4 years

no salary cap = rookie becomes FA as early as 6 years

for a team like bills this to me is a serious plus

if we draft well and can have a plan to build for the true future we can draft players knowing if we hit on a draft pick we have that guy for at least 6 years.

just think u draft a serious CB at pick 21 and instead of 4 years from now scrambling to replace him like we had to do with nate. your adding to something else.

this deal with no cap will be better for teams like us.

big market teams wont be able to drop 30 mil signing bonuses after 4 years like we had happen with winfield, clements, back in the day wiley ( i know he sort of busted affter he left buffalo)

i'm not scared in the least if nfl proceeds with no cap past 2010 becuz being able to keep your own homegrown guys for at least 6 years means that u can actually develop players in your own system again!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: no cap would actually be better for a team like bills

you are incorrect...it would be worse...Jones and Snyder would bid up the prices to levels that no other team in the league could match for free agents. They would become the Yankees and BoSox of the NFL. The days of the Bills being competitive would be over. They would be worse than the Pirates.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• djjimkelly
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
      you are incorrect...it would be worse...Jones and Snyder would bid up the prices to levels that no other team in the league could match for free agents. They would become the Yankees and BoSox of the NFL. The days of the Bills being competitive would be over. They would be worse than the Pirates.

im not wrong about players being ours for at least 6 years

and im sorry the bills franchise has truly never hit it big on a unrestricted free agent

this is our situation THE BILLS are better off being able to keep guys for at least 6 years.

your telling me u hit on a 2nd round pick 4 years after the fact his rookie deal is done.

hes now a restricted FA hes not better off signing a new 4 year deal for a reasonable raise(with a signing bonus) instead of taking restricted FA tender for the next 2 years.(with no signing bonus)

players will have to reevaluate what they want after their first rookie deal waiting one year from year 3 to year 4 and taking RFA tender is one thing.

no one will want to do it 2 and 3 years in a row.

and guys who are in league for 6-7-8-9 years guys on the serious tail end of their careers.

I HOPE DALLAS GOES NUTS AND SIGNS A WHACK OF THEM. or some other team its been proven over and over. teams win with their own DP's

this system will allow teams like bills to keep these DP's alot longer then we keeping them now.

im praying for no cap we can actually build a winner again.

Comment

• Iehoshua
        • Jan 2003

The days of the Bills being competitive would be over.
        What's the change? Those days have been over since 1999.

Comment

• feelthepain
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by djjimkelly

and im sorry the bills franchise has truly never hit it big on a unrestricted free agent

this is our situation THE BILLS are better off being able to keep guys for at least 6 years.

your telling me u hit on a 2nd round pick 4 years after the fact his rookie deal is done.

hes now a restricted FA hes not better off signing a new 4 year deal for a reasonable raise(with a signing bonus) instead of taking restricted FA tender for the next 2 years.(with no signing bonus)

players will have to reevaluate what they want after their first rookie deal waiting one year from year 3 to year 4 and taking RFA tender is one thing.

and guys who are in league for 6-7-8-9 years guys on the serious tail end of their careers.

I HOPE DALLAS GOES NUTS AND SIGNS A WHACK OF THEM. or some other team its been proven over and over. teams win with their own DP's

this system will allow teams like bills to keep these DP's alot longer then we keeping them now.

What happens when 2 or 3 other teams want that same young player and the Bills have to out bid another team for that player? Since there will be no cap, the amount of money teams have to spend will no longer limit that ability. The Bills right now...still have the most money left to spend. If they refuse to spend their money under a limited cap format, what will happen to them when there isn't a limited cap?

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

players won't want to play for us . Even if they're stuck with a 6 contract, they will opt to sit or want to renegotiate based on what other teams like Deadskins and cowpokes are paying their top players especially if they are outperforming the cowpokes/deadskins players. Agents are not stupid. They will figure out what the bills are doing and they will want a huge contract up front as rookies.

The league is already overpaying unproven rookies. They will ask for more .
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• djjimkelly
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by feelthepain
              What happens when 2 or 3 other teams want that same young player and the Bills have to out bid another team for that player? Since there will be no cap, the amount of money teams have to spend will no longer limit that ability. The Bills right now...still have the most money left to spend. If they refuse to spend their money under a limited cap format, what will happen to them when there isn't a limited cap?

they can outbid all they like the guy is a RFA for 6 years just like teams dont truly go after RFA's right now it will be the same then.

plus your telling me a guy who plays great for 4 years as a 4th rounder isnt gonna wanna get a nice bonus come year 5 from his current team.

what i think people dont take into account is this is a brutal sport most nfl careers dont see 6 years.

ALOT and i mean ALOT of guys who once their first deal is done will be saying hell im 26-27-28 years old i better get paid now with a nice signing bonus up front then sit here for a couple years hoping not to get injured hoping my playing level stays same and so on.

people can look at things as half empty and half full in this situation for a team like the bills who in essence lose their great guys after 4 years this system would be better.

and with no cap most teams will put 1 round tenders on guys they wont want to lose if their is no cap. once again a serious deal for the original team. i think lots of teams put 2nd or 3rd round tenders on guys becuz they know the cap keeps people in check from signing them. now u spend an extra 500K-1M to keep RFA still a hell of alot cheaper then a 20 mil bonus

and i wouldnt have a probelm if teams took our guys after 4 years who are RFA's if they have to give us 1st rounders every time.

no cap is better for a team like the bills im sorry if u can't see it

Comment

• Stewie
                Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                • Aug 2002

name one team, just one, that won the superbowl by overloading on high priced free agents
                Originally posted by Topdog
                Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                Originally posted by mercyrule
                I love Weiner.
                also cheese

Comment

• Stewie
                  Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                  • Aug 2002

also, if they ever did get good, they would be compltely hamstrung in signing FA's the following year, by virtue of being one of thetop 8 teams in the league
                  Last edited by Stewie; 05-20-2008, 12:42 PM.
                  Originally posted by Topdog
                  Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                  I love Weiner.
                  also cheese

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                    • Jul 2002

they can outbid all they like the guy is a RFA for 6 years just like teams dont truly go after RFA's right now it will be the same then.

plus your telling me a guy who plays great for 4 years as a 4th rounder isnt gonna wanna get a nice bonus come year 5 from his current team.

what i think people dont take into account is this is a brutal sport most nfl careers dont see 6 years.

ALOT and i mean ALOT of guys who once their first deal is done will be saying hell im 26-27-28 years old i better get paid now with a nice signing bonus up front then sit here for a couple years hoping not to get injured hoping my playing level stays same and so on.

people can look at things as half empty and half full in this situation for a team like the bills who in essence lose their great guys after 4 years this system would be better.

and with no cap most teams will put 1 round tenders on guys they wont want to lose if their is no cap. once again a serious deal for the original team. i think lots of teams put 2nd or 3rd round tenders on guys becuz they know the cap keeps people in check from signing them. now u spend an extra 500K-1M to keep RFA still a hell of alot cheaper then a 20 mil bonus

and i wouldnt have a probelm if teams took our guys after 4 years who are RFA's if they have to give us 1st rounders every time.

no cap is better for a team like the bills im sorry if u can't see it
                    I think you are the one who can't see the point.

Justa is alluding to the fact that we will have trouble with all players, not just free agents.

The rules for a drafted rookie are what they are, but holding out is a clear option.
                    Undrafted free agents would have even more leverage.

Any agent who's client was committed to a six year deal would demand the $ up front.

For the Bills, no cap would mean way more money for rookies, and very little free agent options.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

you are incorrect...it would be worse...Jones and Snyder would bid up the prices to levels that no other team in the league could match for free agents.
                      And then the follwing year when that cap gets put back into place they can cut everyone to try and get under it.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                        • Jun 2005

Once there is no cap a cap will never be back. More like a stucture like MLB will be in place. But I think a deal will be worked out before that comes.

Comment

• theanswer74
                          • Apr 2004

The thing is, the top 8 teams cant sign free agents to a big contract unless they also lose a player to a big contract.

So unless Dallas and Washington are out of the top 8, they really cant load up their teams.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by paulB
                            name one team, just one, that won the superbowl by overloading on high priced free agents
                            The Dallas Cowboys.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                              The Dallas Cowboys.
                              Oh, you mean when they last one a bunch of Super Bowls? That was the result of the all the draft picks they got for Herschel Walker, not a free agent spending spree.

PTR
                              10 Commandments of the D
                              1. Never stop Rocking.
                              2. Legalize all drugs.
                              3. Quit your day job.
                              4. All Religion should be taxed.
                              5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                              6. F**k her gently.
                              7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                              8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                              9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                              10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

Working...
                              X