PDA

View Full Version : OTA Notes: McKelvin Gets First Team Reps

The Spaz
05-20-2008, 01:59 PM
It didn't take long for Bills top pick Leodis McKelvin to get some work with the starting unit. During 11-on-11 work Tuesday McKelvin lined up in the slot as the first team defense started in their nickel package. Shortly thereafter McKelvin filled in for Terrence McGee on the left side as the veteran corner had a reduced workload.

"It felt good," said McKelvin. "I just have to learn from the vets and take that to the field as best I can."

McKelvin fared pretty well during the Tuesday session effectively recognizing a run play and maintaining his leverage to force the ballcarrier back inside. His coverage was also pretty solid throughout the practice.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6090

SeatownBillsFan21
05-20-2008, 05:31 PM
hopefully he starts sometime this year cant wait to see him play

casdhf
05-20-2008, 06:02 PM
I love football.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-21-2008, 01:08 AM
As expected, they are trying to work him in as the nickle back first to see what he is able to handle.

If he can show that he can handle starting, I think that they would like to get him into the starting lineup by mid-season at the latest, if not sooner. It will be interesting to see how quickly he progresses once they put on the pads.

I also find it interesting that they are working him at the LCB spot behind McGee. I wonder if they would consider flipping McGee to the right side once McKelvin shows that he is ready to start or if they have some other plan in mind?

jamze132
05-21-2008, 08:41 AM
The article also mentioned that William James looked good as well, which does not suprise me at all. I thought he was a good football player already. So it's not going to break my heart of one of those guys actually unseats Greer.

SeatownBillsFan21
05-21-2008, 08:45 AM
why

methos4ever
05-21-2008, 08:52 AM
I think, especially with the articles about most teams spending more than 50% of the time in nickel that McGee and not Greer would become a slot CB. Not because Greer is better than McGee, but think about how good our secondary would be with a guy like Terrance covering a team's 3rd wideout?

If I'm right, that would also mean in year one that Leodis would have a little safety help (depending on coverage) over the top and ensure he learns when to try to jump a route and when not to.

Pinkerton Security
05-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I think, especially with the articles about most teams spending more than 50% of the time in nickel that McGee and not Greer would become a slot CB. Not because Greer is better than McGee, but think about how good our secondary would be with a guy like Terrance covering a team's 3rd wideout?

If I'm right, that would also mean in year one that Leodis would have a little safety help (depending on coverage) over the top and ensure he learns when to try to jump a route and when not to.

i guess i understand where you're coming from, but i dont see that happening AT ALL unless the opposition lines up thier #1 WR in the slot to mix things up, and we counter.

yordad
05-21-2008, 01:02 PM
whyWhy what?