PDA

View Full Version : Suspending Belichick will bring closure to Spygate

Mr. Cynical
05-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Suspending Belichick will bring closure to Spygate<!-- begin pres by --> <!-- end pres by -->

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/columnists/Easterbrook_Gregg_55.jpg (http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=gregg_easterbrook&name=SEARCH_m_archive&srvc=sz) By Gregg Easterbrook
Special to Page 2
(Archive (http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://search.espn.go.com/keyword/search?searchString=gregg_easterbrook&name=SEARCH_m_archive&srvc=sz))

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->
You're sick of Spygate. I'm sick of Spygate. The NFL's owners are sick of Spygate, because it is making the goose that laid the golden eggs less valuable by the day.

But things are going to drag on until commissioner Roger Goodell or the owners take the steps necessary to bring Spygate to a close. Changing their story week by week doesn't close Spygate. Rationalizations and doublespeak don't close Spygate. Admitting only what you have been compelled to admit doesn't close Spygate. The reason Spygate keeps dragging on is because the guilty party -- New England coach Bill Belichick -- has not been punished in any meaningful way.

Belichick cheated and lied, and so far has gotten away nearly scot-free. Not only does Belichick continue to run a team that has systematically cheated for (we now know) eight years -- a team that engaged in "a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid long-standing rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition," to quote Goodell -- he shows not one whit of remorse, except over being caught. Belichick just spoke about Spygate (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/05/16/cbsnews_investigates/main4104058.shtml) on CBS News. He didn't sound like a blameless hero who wanted his reputation back, he sounded like he was angry that people were questioning him.

A man of dignity, who is caught cheating, would resign. Had Belichick shown dignity and resigned, this week's humiliating media circus in New York over former Patriots videographer Matt Walsh would never have occurred. Spygate would already be behind us. "Cheaters! Cheaters!" the crowd at Radio City Music Hall chanted when New England's name went on the clock at last month's draft. "Cheaters! Cheaters!" crowds will chant next fall when New England takes the field, if the cheater Belichick is still running the show. The way to stop that, and bring Spygate to a close, is to suspend the person responsible.

The $500,000 fine assessed against Belichick is a token sanction at his income level. The draft choice fine against the Patriots penalizes mainly the team's fans, who are not responsible for what happened. Patriots players are in effect being punished for their coaches' actions by having their reputations harmed. Suspending Belichick for at least a year would constitute a serious penalty where none has been imposed so far, and show pro football is serious about integrity. Unless the NFL wants its message to the young to be, "Go ahead, cheat and lie, no one will punish you."

Whatever case Belichick might have had in his favor dissolved with Walsh's testimony, which Goodell said he accepted as truthful. Though Walsh did not have evidence of illicit taping by New England during the Rams' Super Bowl walk-through -- the Boston Herald has retracted its claim to this effect -- what Walsh did have was damning.

First, Walsh offered firsthand indications Belichick always knew what he was doing was wrong. Walsh told Goodell, and then Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, that he was instructed to avoid detection and use cover stories if asked why he was taping. If Patriots coaches really believed an activity was allowed by league regulations, they would have let the staff do it openly. Belichick's primary explanation, given in February to the Boston Globe -- "I felt there was a gray area in the rule and I misinterpreted the rule" -- has always failed the straight-face test, since the rule reads, "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game." Find a "gray area" there to misinterpret. Belichick's alternative explanation, (http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=27686&pcid=47) given last fall when Spygate first broke, then expanded on Friday to CBS News, was: "I made a mistake. I was wrong." Years of sneaky cheating are not a "mistake." Even Goodell said this week, "I'm pretty well on the record here that I don't accept Bill Belichick's explanation" that he merely "misinterpreted" rules. Let's call Belichick's claim what it is: a lie.

What is necessary is a serious suspension for Belichick. Suspension for a season would actually be a mild penalty. Belichick's lack of remorse creates an argument for a lifetime ban. Why should the 99 percent of NFL players, coaches and front-office officials who are honest sportsmen be tarred by association with a few who are not? There's no "right" to coach in the NFL -- if you thumb your nose at the rules, you should be held accountable. Just like everyone breathed a sigh of relief on the day Richard Nixon left office, including his own supporters, everyone who loves football will breathe a huge sigh of relief on the day Belichick is finally punished and the sport's integrity is restored. Suspending Belichick would be a fitting last chapter to Spygate, bringing the matter to a close. Unless, of course, you would prefer that Spygate go on and on and on.

Footnote: In Friday's Washington Post, NFL reporter Mark Maske quotes former Giants quarterback Phil Simms contending that stolen signals are no guarantee of victory: "'I've been in games where we knew every signal, every call by the other team, and we still lost,' Simms said by telephone yesterday. 'We [the Giants] had the San Diego Chargers' signals in 1980. We knew every signal. We knew every play. We were calling out what they were going to do: 'Here comes this. Here comes that.' They still scored 44 points.'" After more Simms quotes, the article moved to other matters. Who was on the New York Giants' coaching staff in 1980? Bill Belichick and Ernie Adams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080517&sportCat=nfl

LifetimeBillsFan
05-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Does anyone seriously believe that Belichick just came up with the idea of taping on his own? Maybe he did. And, maybe he didn't....

It is very possible that Belichick has already made it known, privately of course, that, if he is suspended for this, he will talk about other coaches that he knows were doing the same thing or something very similar--perhaps including his mentor and friend, B.Parcells.

If that were to happen, that would throw open to question more than just what the Pats have been doing over the last eight years. And, you can take it to the bank that that is something the NFL owners do NOT want to have happen.

Think about that. If you can, try and remember back to when Parcells was on the verge of being fired as HC of the NY Giants...think about the miraculous turnarounds engineered by certain coaches around the league since then...are all of them due to great coaching and astute moves by the FO? Well, those are things that the people running the NFL certainly don't want the league's fans thinking about, that's for sure!!!

Finally, I can argue that losing a first round draft pick constitutes even less than a slap on the wrist for the organization because, while the Pats might not be able to pick a rookie with that pick, they still were able to spend the money that they would have had to give that rookie to obtain or retain a veteran player. And, which would you rather have: an unproven rookie or an experienced, proven veteran player?

One can easily argue that, by not having to give that money to an unproven rookie and being able to spend it on a veteran player, the Pats actually benefitted from having that first round draft pick taken away at the prices that first round draft picks now command.

Ebenezer
05-21-2008, 02:53 AM
Does anyone seriously believe that Belichick just came up with the idea of taping on his own? Maybe he did. And, maybe he didn't....

It is very possible that Belichick has already made it known, privately of course, that, if he is suspended for this, he will talk about other coaches that he knows were doing the same thing or something very similar--perhaps including his mentor and friend, B.Parcells.

If that were to happen, that would throw open to question more than just what the Pats have been doing over the last eight years. And, you can take it to the bank that that is something the NFL owners do NOT want to have happen.

Think about that. If you can, try and remember back to when Parcells was on the verge of being fired as HC of the NY Giants...think about the miraculous turnarounds engineered by certain coaches around the league since then...are all of them due to great coaching and astute moves by the FO? Well, those are things that the people running the NFL certainly don't want the league's fans thinking about, that's for sure!!!

Finally, I can argue that losing a first round draft pick constitutes even less than a slap on the wrist for the organization because, while the Pats might not be able to pick a rookie with that pick, they still were able to spend the money that they would have had to give that rookie to obtain or retain a veteran player. And, which would you rather have: an unproven rookie or an experienced, proven veteran player?

One can easily argue that, by not having to give that money to an unproven rookie and being able to spend it on a veteran player, the Pats actually benefitted from having that first round draft pick taken away at the prices that first round draft picks now command.
Thank you...some have not been reading what you very eloquently wrote.

YardRat
05-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Banning him forever would make me happy.

Mitchy moo
05-21-2008, 06:36 AM
This ends when the Bills crush the Pats in the playoffs on their way to the first SB win.

mybills
05-21-2008, 07:08 AM
The $500,000 fine assessed against Belichick is a token sanction at his income level. The draft choice fine against the Patriots penalizes mainly the team's fans, who are not responsible for what happened. Patriots players are in effect being punished for their coaches' actions by having their reputations harmed. Suspending Belichick for at least a year would constitute a serious penalty where none has been imposed so far, and show pro football is serious about integrity. Unless the NFL wants its message to the young to be, "Go ahead, cheat and lie, no one will punish you."

That's all that need be said and remembered.

:lolpoint:
the Pats were punished severely.

Jan Reimers
05-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Realistically, Goodell's opportunity to suspend Belichick has come and gone. The Commish has already meted out his rather soft punishment, and the Walsh stuff doesn't provide enough for suspension when compared to what has already been revealed.

Unless Arlen Specter launches an investigation that uncovers a lot more wrong doing than previously known, I think Belichick has escaped what should have been a much harsher penalty.

jamze132
05-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Well at least the Patriots will be rediculed everywhere they go now. Eventually, it will take it's toll when they stop getting the benefit of just about every judgement call by the refs in the last few years.

don137
05-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Realistically, Goodell's opportunity to suspend Belichick has come and gone. The Commish has already meted out his rather soft punishment, and the Walsh stuff doesn't provide enough for suspension when compared to what has already been revealed.

Unless Arlen Specter launches an investigation that uncovers a lot more wrong doing than previously known, I think Belichick has escaped what should have been a much harsher penalty.

Agree 100%...Bellichick thought he was above the rules. He attacked the integrity of the game. What he did was worse than what Pete Rose did in baseball. In my mind their is no way the Patriots would of won three championships without cheating. They had the best talent they ever had last year and lost.
Goodell probably realizes now his punishment was not severe enough and can not change it unless further evidence comes up.
Look at all the revenue the Patriots got from ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc thanks to being so good the past few years thanks to cheating. The punishment is like fining someone a $100,000 and no jail time for someone that conducted insider trading and made $1,000,000 off of it.

Ickybaluky
05-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Interesting.

Easterbrook wrote this on February 3 (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080202&sportCat=nfl), after the walkthrough story came out:

Taping from the sidelines during games, although forbidden, is regarded as a minor violation of the rules.

Then Matt Walsh testifies and it is found the walkthrough tape never happened and nothing new has been uncovered since the original fiasco after week 1 against the Jets. Yet, Easterbrook calls for a lifetime ban of Belichick for, as he terms it, "a minor violation of the rules".

Sounds like another guy with a personal bias against Belichick that isn't real interested in the facts, but rather would like to sensationalize this story to further his own agenda. Just like you guys.

P.S. - Closure isn't needed, this case has been closed. Even if you guys aren't happy about it.

Bulldog
05-21-2008, 12:49 PM
Interesting.

Easterbrook wrote this on February 3 (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/080202&sportCat=nfl), after the walkthrough story came out:

Then Matt Walsh testifies and it is found the walkthrough tape never happened and nothing new has been uncovered since the original fiasco after week 1 against the Jets. Yet, Easterbrook calls for a lifetime ban of Belichick for, as he terms it, "a minor violation of the rules".

Sounds like another guy with a personal bias against Belichick that isn't real interested in the facts, but rather would like to sensationalize this story to further his own agenda. Just like you guys.

P.S. - Closure isn't needed, this case has been closed. Even if you guys aren't happy about it.

Funny, sounds like another Pats fan who would rather make this thing go away than to face the music. Poor Bill Belichick and the Patriots, they got caught cheating and now everybody is out to get them. If Belichick isn't the most arrogent SOB in all of sports, I don't know who is. That mere fact that he has declined to apologize for jeopardizing the integrity of the game is bad enough. But to go on the defensive and insist that this was just a minor misunderstanding and it's only people with personal vendetta's that are out to get him is a slap in the face to the entire league.

Philagape
05-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Actually that brings up an idea for punishment .... reduce their salary cap

Ickybaluky
05-21-2008, 02:47 PM
But to go on the defensive and insist that this was just a minor misunderstanding and it's only people with personal vendetta's that are out to get him is a slap in the face to the entire league.

You will have to bring up classifying it as a "minor violation" with Mr. Easterbrook, since it was he who wrote that.

Ickybaluky
05-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Actually that brings up an idea for punishment .... reduce their salary cap

Personally, I think they should just execute Belichick and be done with it. They can do it at halftime of the opener. I bet they would get record ratings.

Mitchy moo
05-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Personally, I think they should just execute Belichick and be done with it. They can do it at halftime of the opener. I bet they would get record ratings.

They need the wife he cheated on to pull the switch, no hood needed. He is a miserable excuse for a human being and may one day realize that being a POS is no way to live.

Mr. Miyagi
05-21-2008, 04:52 PM
**** the Pats.

That's all I have to say.

Mitchy moo
05-21-2008, 04:54 PM
**** the Pats.

That's all I have to say.

nuff said.

Mr. Cynical
05-21-2008, 11:08 PM

The only people who want this to go away are Goddell, every member of the Pats organization and Pats fans.

Wonder why that is? :scratch:

The Spaz
05-21-2008, 11:17 PM

I agree. Where do I sign up? **** the Patriots and those who support cheating!!

Michael82
05-22-2008, 09:49 AM
The only people who want this to go away are Goddell, every member of the Pats organization and Pats fans.

Because they know that the more this continues, the more it tarnishes the Patriots so called Dynasty and the league. The best thing that can happen is for the league to bury this and no turn back. If they did anything else to make the punishment look worse, it would make Goodell and the NFL have major egg on their face for destroying the tapes and burying it the first time.

DraftBoy
05-22-2008, 09:53 AM

No Id like it to go away mainly because this charade is now becoming embarrassing for other teams and their fans as they act like their **** doesnt stink and that this was some great travesty or injustice. We look like idiots.

Mr. Miyagi
05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Personally, I think they should just execute Belichick and be done with it. They can do it at halftime of the opener. I bet they would get record ratings. :rofl: Let's do it!

Blindfolded or not?

jamze132
05-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Seriously guy, why don't you give your opinion to us about your beloved Patriots?

DynaPaul
05-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I think old Belichick should go the way of Pete Rose, personally.

Ickybaluky
05-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Seriously guy, why don't you give your opinion to us about your beloved Patriots?

IMO, they are a football team.

jamze132
05-22-2008, 03:54 PM
IMO, they are a football team.
That was just an amazing response.

Give us your opinion on Spygate...

Ickybaluky
05-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Give us your opinion on Spygate...

That was a league matter. It is in the past, and I'm focused on the future...

The Spaz
05-22-2008, 04:01 PM

Sounds like a Rosenhaus response., "no comment"....lol

PECKERWOOD
05-22-2008, 06:27 PM

Did Belichick feed you that line? :lmao:

raphael120
05-22-2008, 09:30 PM
You will have to bring up classifying it as a "minor violation" with Mr. Easterbrook, since it was he who wrote that.

What if you found out that the Giants cheated in the Super Bowl? Wouldn't want that to just go away would ya now???

The Spaz
05-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Did Belichick feed you that line? :lmao:

It's common practice...lol

jamze132
05-23-2008, 01:57 AM
It's a typical response and I would expect nothing less from you or any other Patriots fan who doesn't want to hear it.

Ickybaluky
05-23-2008, 07:27 AM
It's a typical response and I would expect nothing less from you or any other Patriots fan who doesn't want to hear it.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, but what do you want me to say? I was actually joking with the comment, which is a Belichick catch phrase.

The Pats violated a league rule and were punished for it. We can agree about that. There really isn't anything else to say, so I'm not going to analyze it.

As to all the conjecture and theories as to things the Pats may or may not have done, I could care less. You can speculate and dream up all the drama you want, but that isn't really a big deal to me. I don't really care so much about hypothetical story-lines and drama, I just watching the games. Whether the Pats win or not, that doesn't change.

It cracks me up to see how much people love soap operas. I could care less about that stuff. It is particularly funny when fans of other teams like to say stuff like "their accomplishments are tainted" and such. All they are really doing is lashing out because they are frustrated about their own team, and feel powerless to do anything about it. So, they latch on to anything they can to empower themselves. Their team loses and they blame the refs or some such. It is pretty hilarious, because at the end of the day it was just a football game.

Really, though, it doesn't matter. This year I'll turn on the TV and watch the games just like any other year. The Pats may win or lose, but either way it will be a lot of fun, because I love watching NFL football.

jamze132
05-23-2008, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure what you are looking for, but what do you want me to say? I was actually joking with the comment, which is a Belichick catch phrase.

The Pats violated a league rule and were punished for it. We can agree about that. There really isn't anything else to say, so I'm not going to analyze it.

As to all the conjecture and theories as to things the Pats may or may not have done, I could care less. You can speculate and dream up all the drama you want, but that isn't really a big deal to me. I don't really care so much about hypothetical story-lines and drama, I just watching the games. Whether the Pats win or not, that doesn't change.

It cracks me up to see how much people love soap operas. I could care less about that stuff. It is particularly funny when fans of other teams like to say stuff like "their accomplishments are tainted" and such. All they are really doing is lashing out because they are frustrated about their own team, and feel powerless to do anything about it. So, they latch on to anything they can to empower themselves. Their team loses and they blame the refs or some such. It is pretty hilarious, because at the end of the day it was just a football game.

Really, though, it doesn't matter. This year I'll turn on the TV and watch the games just like any other year. The Pats may win or lose, but either way it will be a lot of fun, because I love watching NFL football.
Was that so bad? Thanks...

For the record, football is just a game but for some of us it is more than that. And when a team like the Pats who have completely owned us for quite some time now, come under scrutiny for unethical practices, of course Bills fans and just about everyone the Pats have dominated are going to throw it in their face.

Ickybaluky
05-23-2008, 09:08 AM
For the record, football is just a game but for some of us it is more than that. And when a team like the Pats who have completely owned us for quite some time now, come under scrutiny for unethical practices, of course Bills fans and just about everyone the Pats have dominated are going to throw it in their face.

Hey, good for you. Whatever floats your boat.

justasportsfan
05-23-2008, 09:11 AM
No Id like it to go away mainly because this charade is now becoming embarrassing for other teams and their fans as they act like their **** doesnt stink and that this was some great travesty or injustice. We look like idiots.
not! when it comes to footbal, our **** doesn't stink. As a bills fan ,I don't look like an idiot. Proud to be one.

The only way spygate is gonna go away is if you take away the rings. Not gonna happen. Everytime people talk about those SB wins , spygate will always be right beside.

njsue
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
This will bring a message to anyone who seeks to damage the professional image of the NFL.

You break the rules and your out!!!!!

Mitchy moo
05-23-2008, 09:23 AM
I can understand your indifference in the situation but in reality your team has cheated and got caught. Odds are they cheated in many other aspects of the game, the IR / practice squad story just coming out. You root for a team that cheats and you can live with it, that's great for you.

jamze132
05-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I can understand your indifference in the situation but in reality your team has cheated and got caught. Odds are they cheated in many other aspects of the game, the IR / practice squad story just coming out. You root for a team that cheats and you can live with it, that's great for you.
You beat me to it...

Novacane
05-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm not buying that BB has proof of a lot of other teams cheating and that's why the NFL wants this to go away. You that believe that expect us to believe BB is the ONLY one with this evidence and is holding it over the NFL's head?? BS! If that proof existed others know about it and it would of been leaked by now.

Mitchy moo
05-24-2008, 09:21 PM
You beat me to it...

Brilliant minds...........