PDA

View Full Version : PFW: Bills hesistant to use Mckelvin as returner

The Answer
05-21-2008, 11:57 AM
This makes no sense and I hope it isn't true because his skills as a dynamic special teams player is part of the reason why Leodis was projected to go so high.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/WWHI/2008/wwhi052108.htm

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Hester who? :bravo:

Dr. Pepper
05-21-2008, 12:01 PM
I don't have a problem with him focusing on defense first before delving into special teams play. IMO cornerback is a much bigger need right now than special teams.

yordad
05-21-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't have a problem with him focusing on defense first before delving into special teams play. IMO cornerback is a much bigger need right now than special teams.Right on, and welcome aboard. But, I do wonder how complicated a special teams play book can be. :idunno:

Pride
05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
I dont believe you pay a guy 1st round money to risk being hurt on kick offs and punt returns.

IMO there are 4th string WR's that are supposed to be used for that!

The Answer
05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't have a problem with him focusing on defense first before delving into special teams play. IMO cornerback is a much bigger need right now than special teams.

But McKelvin has been compared to Devin Hester in terms of being a gamebreaker that is a threat to score a TD every time he returns a kick.

We need to at least experiment with him in training camp.

~The Answer

The Answer
05-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I dont believe you pay a guy 1st round money to risk being hurt on kick offs and punt returns.

The dolfish drafted a kick returner with the #9 overall pick last year though. :snicker:

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-21-2008, 12:15 PM
he needs to concentrate first on learning the position he was drafted for.The sooner he starts to get it, only then should he start learning the kick return game. Rookies are already overloaded with new info. No need to add more until they get it.

We have the luxury thanks to Leodis' speech therapist, Parrish.

Dr. Pepper
05-21-2008, 12:16 PM
But McKelvin has been compared to Devin Hester in terms of being a gamebreaker that is a threat to score a TD every time he returns a kick.

~The Answer

If those comparisons prove to be true I'll change my tune quick and I'm sure the Bills will too.

Night Train
05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Yeah, we're really hurting with McGee fielding kickoffs and Parrish fielding punts.

:rolleyes:

Mitchy moo
05-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Toss all 3 of them in there one short, one middle and one long and force our opposing teams to punt / kickoff out of bounds just out of fear.

Jan Reimers
05-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Right on, and welcome aboard. But, I do wonder how complicated a special teams play book can be. :idunno:
"Catch the punt or kickoff, run down the field really fast. Score."

"Run down the field really fast, tackle the returner."

"Run down (or up) the field really fast. Block the first guy you see."

The Spaz
05-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Maybe I am wrong but didn't Clements return punts and or kicks as a rookie? Either way I have no problem with him doing it or not as we have the depth at both positions.

yordad
05-21-2008, 05:06 PM
"Catch the punt or kickoff, run down the field really fast. Score."

"Run down the field really fast, tackle the returner."

"Run down (or up) the field really fast. Block the first guy you see."That is what I figured.

mayotm
05-21-2008, 05:15 PM
With the emphasis the Bills place on special teams, I doubt this is true. If McKelvin beats Parrish or McGee for the one of the jobs, then it's his.

Night Train
05-21-2008, 06:05 PM
With the emphasis the Bills place on special teams, I doubt this is true. If McKelvin beats Parrish or McGee for the one of the jobs, then it's his.

Right now, he's more concerned with beating McGee or Greer out for the CB position. That's why you pay him 1st Round $$.

The Bills see him as a CB who they want on the field for ALL their D calls, due to his incredible recognition skills in coverage.

He can return kicks if McGee or Parrish are hurt, or stand next to them if April thinks that could work.

coastal
05-21-2008, 06:55 PM
McGee needs to go back to focussing full-time on special teams.

raphael120
05-21-2008, 10:09 PM
I can see the agrument go both ways...on one hand, we cant risk him being hurt...but on the other hand he could do some amazing things for our return game to compliment Parrish.

Hester is a 4th string WR and if goes down the Bears arent screwed. If we have Mckelvin do this and he gets hurt, not only do we lose awesome return ability but a starting CB. Bears only lose a returner.

Oaf
05-21-2008, 10:43 PM
That actually makes me happy. It means the Bills picked him because he was the best pure CB out there, not a great value as a KR/DB. We have two of the top ten returners in the league already.

jamze132
05-22-2008, 03:00 AM

~The Answer
Who cares who is has been compared too? He has proven that he can be a good punt catcher.

He needs to spend all his energies learning the trates of NFL offenses and defenses. He needs little to no work in returning kicks or punts.

Besides, we already have a nice tandem to do that...

PECKERWOOD
05-22-2008, 04:20 PM

Fins took Ted Ginn Jr. higher than where we took McKelvin at! You don't see the Saints barring Reggie from returning punts.. Get your best guys out on the field, anything else is compromising our chances of winning.

yordad
05-24-2008, 02:29 PM
After you watch this, tell me what the hurry is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtZw70qDLVw