PDA

View Full Version : Peters update expected Thursday

justasportsfan
05-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Peters update expected Thursday
Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 2:20 PM ET | Link

PETERS UPDATE EXPECTED THURSDAY: With Jason Peters not in attendance for the first week of voluntary OTAs there is widespread speculation as to why he's not in attendance. Some attribute it to his offseason sports hernia surgery, others believe it's contract related. Head coach Dick Jauron doesn't address the media during OTAs until the end of the week which will be Thursday after the final practice of the week is held. At that time we'll coach about the reason for Peters' absence and about his health.

Whenever you want to reference a past story like that of Peters' surgery in mid-January you can always go to the News Archive link on the home page by mousing over 'THE BILLS' at the extreme left of the menu bar about three-quarters of the way up the page.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

I've often wondered about this. He was paid RT money prior to the CBA. Now he's a probowl LT and makes peanuts compared to what they paid Dockery and Walker . They dug deep and paid Aaron mo money and I thinks it's only fair that they should show Peters the money.
Show him the money.

Jan Reimers
05-21-2008, 02:38 PM
I agree, justa. I usually don't like guys holding out when they've signed a contract, but Peters' deal is so low in comparison to Dockery and Walker, and his production so good, that I can't blame him at all.

justasportsfan
05-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I usually don't like guys holding out when they've signed a contract, but Peters' deal is so low in comparison to Dockery and Walker, and his production so good, that I can't blame him at all.
It wouldn't have been a problem until they decided to give Aaron mo money . NOw they are going to have to do the same for Jason IMO.

Could this be the reason why have huge of cap space? :idunno: We will have to deal with Crowell next year too unless they decide to move Dig to his position.

HHURRICANE
05-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I'd rather see an extension for Peters than Evans. Everything starts with O-line.

Luisito23
05-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Peters is our best player by FAR, it's only right that he gets paid like it!....

hydro
05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Sucks that we have to pay Peters but he certainly deserves it.

DraftBoy
05-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Justa is goating again... :ill:

Yes he is...

justasportsfan
05-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Yes he is...
believe what you want. Evans and Peters have everything to do in helping the qb become successful. Besides how can I be goating if I want Evans to stay so that Trent won't fail by having more weapons. :rolleyes:

The end to the Schobel weight debate
Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 12:59 PM ET | Link

THE END TO THE SCHOBEL WEIGHT DEBATE: With the never ending debate about Schobel's weight and whether it affects his effectiveness in run defense. Right now Schobel is 242 pounds. He's listed as 243. And he's been at that weight for the past six years.

"My rookie year I was 262 pounds and all that extra weight was fat," said Schobel. "I've been between 238 and 245 pounds since 2002, and I was 238 when I went to the Pro Bowl."

Schobel maintains that there aren't many 4-3 defensive ends over 255 pounds that are premier pass rushers.

"Strahan plays in the 240's," said Schobel. "Vanden Bosch is 250 tops. Derrick Burgess is 250, Umenyiora, I've stood next to him in Hawaii and he's not bigger than me. Jevon Kearse is 240. Jason Taylor may even be in the 230's."

As for the outside criticism that at that weight he can't play effectively against the run Schobel also has a response.

"If you play with leverage you don't have to be heavy," said Schobel. "I don't mess up much on run plays all year. Our run front can have up to 8 gaps if two tight ends are on the field. Everybody has to fit their gap against the run in this scheme."

Personally I'll say I thought Schobel had one of his better seasons against the run last year. And since 2001 Schobel is one of the leading tacklers at the defensive end position with Justin Smith and Taylor among the only ends in the league with more. But Smith who plays at 265 has only has 43.5 career sacks to Schobel's 67 over the past 7 seasons.

Schobel also has an invitation to the doubters as to his run stopping ability at 242 pounds.

"I would love to see someone come in and watch film and tell me they see me get pushed back against the run," said Schobel.

Schobel also said he'd be happy to answer any other questions from those who believe he's too light to defend the run. So you can email them to me at askchris@bills.nfl.net and I'll be happy to pass them along for him to answer.

---

Mitchy moo
05-21-2008, 03:07 PM
He has a low contract and deserves more coin but I think next year might be a better one to do him, Lee needs to be locked in with big coin down.

coastal
05-21-2008, 06:59 PM
too bad this didn't come about a month ago...

we could have traded him for a 2nd round pick.

it would have been cool.

eyedog
05-21-2008, 07:43 PM
I knew this was coming, and rightfully so. They have no choice but to pay him. Who exactly plays left tackle if he decides to sit out ? They don't even have an NFL caliber backup on the roster.

TacklingDummy
05-21-2008, 07:53 PM
He signed the contract. Nobody to blame but himself. Get your ass on the field.

The Spaz
05-21-2008, 07:57 PM

This doesn't stop about 90% of the players from doing it.

TacklingDummy
05-21-2008, 07:59 PM
This doesn't stop about 90% of the players from doing it.

Do 90% of the players ***** about their contract that they signed just 1 year ago?

eyedog
05-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Do 90% of the players ***** about their contract that they signed just 1 year ago?

That don't mean s**t.
If his agent is any good at all he will be getting a raise.
And there is nothing the Bills can do about it because they have nobody else.

BidsJr
05-21-2008, 08:05 PM

That doesn't stop the owner who also signed the contract from cutting the same player for underperforming.

Totally fair IMHO.

TacklingDummy
05-21-2008, 08:25 PM
That don't mean s**t.
If his agent is any good at all he will be getting a raise.
And there is nothing the Bills can do about it because they have nobody else.

His agent must not be any good if Peters is *****ing about his salary one year later.

shelby
05-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Buffalo Bills left tackle Jason Peters hopes to capitalize on his Pro Bowl season by getting a pay raise from the team.
Peters' absence from voluntary spring practices this week is at least partly attributable to the fact he would like a new contract, team and league sources told The Buffalo News.
Peters, who has three years remaining on a contract he signed in 2006, is the third highest paid lineman on the Bills, at about $4 million per year.

full story (http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/352324.html)

eyedog
05-21-2008, 08:40 PM
His agent must not be any good if Peters is *****ing about his salary one year later.

Simply solved then, fire him.

Really anybody could be his agent right now and get him a nice raise.

TacklingDummy
05-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Really anybody could be his agent right now and get him a nice raise.

Not if I owned the Bills, hopefully the Bills have the same stance. He signed a contract, sucks to be him.

BidsJr
05-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Then you better not cut any underperformers either. Contract works both ways.

HAMMER
05-22-2008, 01:31 AM
F@$k Him, he just got a new deal.

clumping platelets
05-22-2008, 05:12 AM
Peters can wait until after Evans is finished. He can also attend all team functions. If he holds out, he can flip burgers until he reports...........Bills gave him an opportunity in this league. They gave him $3+ million/yr based solely on potential. He's only exceeded expectations in one season (2007) after he got a competent LG next to him.

Yasgur's Farm
05-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Dockery 2009- $5.0M salary and bonuses - $6.3M cap hit.
Walker 2009- $5.0M salary and bonuses - $6.0M cap hit.
Peters 2009- $3.5M salary and bonuses - $4.5M cap hit.

Pay our all pro left tackle Mr. Wilson! Lock him up for the rest of his career.

TacklingDummy
05-22-2008, 09:23 AM
7/15/2006: Signed a five-year, $15 million contract. 2008: $3.3 million, 2009: $2.95 million, 2010: $3.4 million, 2011: Free Agent

If the Bills wanted to be nice they could look into giving him a new deal after this season.

Michael82
05-22-2008, 09:37 AM
7/15/2006: Signed a five-year, $15 million contract. 2008: $3.3 million, 2009: $2.95 million, 2010: $3.4 million, 2011: Free Agent

If the Bills wanted to be nice they could look into giving him a new deal after this season.
He's signed for 3 more years? Wow! There's no way in hell I would touch that contract. Wait another year.

clumping platelets
05-22-2008, 09:41 AM
His 5 yr deal he signed in 2006 has a max value of nearly $20 million when you account for all escalators

eyedog
05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
All of these replies are great except nobody has said what they would do if Peters decides to holdout into the season.

DraftBoy
05-22-2008, 10:01 AM
All of these replies are great except nobody has said what they would do if Peters decides to holdout into the season.

Then we suck

TacklingDummy
05-22-2008, 10:02 AM

It's his pocket book. I'd also sue him for some of his signing bonus back.

TO gets blasted by many people on here for wanting more money but yet Peters doesn't.

eyedog
05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
I get it.
He's signed for three more years, the Bills gave him a chance out of college, he just signed a contract last year.
All that means squat if Peters decides to sit out.

OpIv37
05-22-2008, 10:17 AM
It's his pocket book. I'd also sue him for some of his signing bonus back.

TO gets blasted by many people on here for wanting more money but yet Peters doesn't.

Michael Vick's in jail and the Falcons couldn't get his SB back. What chance do the Bills have of getting Peters' back over a contract dispute?

Also TO already makes a damn fortune- Peters is underpaid for his position and compared to the rest of the Bills' OL.

Yeah, it would be nice if Peters played out his contract, but his contract was based on an undrafted RT, not a Pro Bowl LT. Things change. If I got promoted to project manager and had to do all kinds of extra work with a lot more pressure but didn't get a raise, I'd be pissed, too.

eyedog
05-22-2008, 10:23 AM
The Bills have no choice. Who's gonna play LT ? Kirk Chambers.

Ed
05-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Who cares if Peters signed a contract a couple years ago? He's out performing it and is our best player. He deserves to be paid fairly. We finally have a franchise probowl LT, one of the most important positions on our team, so lets make him unhappy and show how much we appreciate his effort by not giving him what he deserves. That really sounds like a winning plan and just what this team needs.

With all the complaining about the lack of talent on this team, you'd think fans would want to see one our best players get rewarded for their hard work and effort.

TacklingDummy
05-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Michael Vick's in jail and the Falcons couldn't get his SB back. Are you sure? If I recall correctly TO and Vick are to payback some of their signing bonus.
What chance do the Bills have of getting Peters' back over a contract dispute?

He's under contract for 3 more years and after that they could always franchise tag him.

TacklingDummy
05-22-2008, 12:13 PM
This is just like the Schobel situation last year. Neither deserve to have their contract renegotiated.

Dr. Lecter
05-22-2008, 12:16 PM
He won't holdout.

If he does, he gets fined, does not get paid and the time does not run off his contract. He will come in eventually.

So far he has missed a voluntary OTA. We don't know if he will or won't skip mandatory work outs.

They have plenty of time to get this resolved. Get Lee done first and then work on Peters and/or Crowell. The CBA being chopped will make negotiating interesting though.

dasaybz
05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
He's not going to holdout. What is he going to hold out for 3 years?

Let him sit on the bench for 3 years then and get fined while he's doing it.

He shouldn't have signed the contract.

These players are ridiculous. Play out your damn contracts guys. The Bills took a shot with Peters, moved him to left tackle, paid him decently before his pro bowl season, and this is how he repays the team?

This **** is so old.

HAMMER
05-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Let him sit if he wants, it comes straight out of his pocket. If you keep caving to players like this you end up with no cap money.

Tatonka
05-22-2008, 03:29 PM
CUT HIM!

Ed
05-23-2008, 09:48 AM
He's not going to holdout. What is he going to hold out for 3 years?

Let him sit on the bench for 3 years then and get fined while he's doing it.

He shouldn't have signed the contract.

These players are ridiculous. Play out your damn contracts guys. The Bills took a shot with Peters, moved him to left tackle, paid him decently before his pro bowl season, and this is how he repays the team?

This **** is so old.
No, he repaid the team by becoming a probowl LT and one of the best bargains in the league by out-performing his contract.

What's the advantage of being cheap and not rewarding your best players?