Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

The End to the Schobel weight debate?

Forked from: Peters update expected Thursday

Originally posted by justasportsfan

The end to the Schobel weight debate
    Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 12:59 PM ET | Link

THE END TO THE SCHOBEL WEIGHT DEBATE: With the never ending debate about Schobel's weight and whether it affects his effectiveness in run defense. Right now Schobel is 242 pounds. He's listed as 243. And he's been at that weight for the past six years.

"My rookie year I was 262 pounds and all that extra weight was fat," said Schobel. "I've been between 238 and 245 pounds since 2002, and I was 238 when I went to the Pro Bowl."

Schobel maintains that there aren't many 4-3 defensive ends over 255 pounds that are premier pass rushers.

"Strahan plays in the 240's," said Schobel. "Vanden Bosch is 250 tops. Derrick Burgess is 250, Umenyiora, I've stood next to him in Hawaii and he's not bigger than me. Jevon Kearse is 240. Jason Taylor may even be in the 230's."

As for the outside criticism that at that weight he can't play effectively against the run Schobel also has a response.

"If you play with leverage you don't have to be heavy," said Schobel. "I don't mess up much on run plays all year. Our run front can have up to 8 gaps if two tight ends are on the field. Everybody has to fit their gap against the run in this scheme."

Personally I'll say I thought Schobel had one of his better seasons against the run last year. And since 2001 Schobel is one of the leading tacklers at the defensive end position with Justin Smith and Taylor among the only ends in the league with more. But Smith who plays at 265 has only has 43.5 career sacks to Schobel's 67 over the past 7 seasons.

Schobel also has an invitation to the doubters as to his run stopping ability at 242 pounds.

"I would love to see someone come in and watch film and tell me they see me get pushed back against the run," said Schobel.

Schobel also said he'd be happy to answer any other questions from those who believe he's too light to defend the run. So you can email them to me at askchris@bills.nfl.net and I'll be happy to pass them along for him to answer.

I'm calling BS on this one! More spin coming from Chris Brown. His weight was always listed as 264 or near there each year. Hell, I have my 2006 Media Guide on me right now and Schobel is listed as 262 lbs in his profile.
    Last edited by Michael82; 05-21-2008, 04:08 PM.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: The End to the Schobel weight debate?

And my concern wasn't that he sucks against the run being so small. It's that he couldn't get past the freaking OTs last year for the sack. He was too small and was manhandled at times.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

I hope he turns those pounds lost into sacks this season.

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

the fact that you guys discredit everything brown says is annoying as ****.

why call him the king of spin? those looked like direct ****ing quotes from schobel. and if you think jason taylor is heavier than schobel, your a moron.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Mikey all because your media guide had him at 260 does not mean he was 260. What would the advantage be by lying about the weights of other DE's he mentioned?

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka

why call him the king of spin? those looked like direct ****ing quotes from schobel. and if you think jason taylor is heavier than schobel, your a moron.
            Thank you!

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

Hey probably spun that too. /sarcasm

I think Schobel just said FU to half this board.

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

sorry, I don't mind the guy. But you gotta admit that the Bills front office controls him. It's kinda sad because the Chris Brown from WGR gave a lot more info and wasn't just the company's bottom line.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                  Mikey all because your media guide had him at 260 does not mean he was 260. What would the advantage be by lying about the weights of other DE's he mentioned?
                  then why was his weight updated at 260 something each year, except for last year? What made them finally update it? And come on, compare the pictures of him last year to other years. He definitely looked smaller.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

I think Freeney weighs in the 240-250 lb. range too, and he's about 6'-1," so I'm not sure size has a lot to do with it.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      I think Freeney weighs in the 240-250 lb. range too, and he's about 6'-1," so I'm not sure size has a lot to do with it.
                      You did see Schobel struggle getting to the QBs last year, didn't you? Or was it just me?

I don't know what it was. He didn't seem strong enough and was easily contained when he was going for the sack many times.

2005: 12 sacks
                      2006: 14 sacks
                      2007: 6.5 sacks

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                        Roways rooking ahread!
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                        You did see Schobel struggle getting to the QBs last year, didn't you? Or was it just me?

I don't know what it was. He didn't see strong enough and was easily contained when he was going for the sack many times.

2005: 12 sacks
                        2006: 14 sacks
                        2007: 6.5 sacks
                        If he expects a big fat check, he better not be big and fat.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
                          I did. And his sacks were way down after he supposedly lost all that weight. Maybe Schobel needs the weight, where the other guys have more quickness or athleticism.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Michael82
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
                            If he expects a big fat check, he better not be big and fat.
                            Tomorrow I'm going to bring out the photos. I don't care what he tells us, he's smaller than he was in 2005 and 2006 and it made a difference on the field. But right now I gotta get some sleep and don't have time to go thru them.

Comment

• dannyek71
                              Drink Responsibly
                              • Dec 2004

Heck, even in HS I was listed on the programs as 6' 3" when I was about 5' 8". Look at NBA players, their heights may be listed by as many as several inches. When your past your mid 20's, I doubt players grow a whole lot.

Schobel knows he is getting paid largely by performance. IF he needed to put on another 20 pounds to play better, dont you think he would?
                              [

Comment

Working...
                              X