PDA

View Full Version : Stroud striving for productive season

The Spaz
05-21-2008, 05:18 PM
New Bills defensive tackle Marcus Stroud is the first to say that last season was one to forget. Now in a new city and playing on a new team, Stroud is anxious to begin putting together a more memorable campaign.

"This team is headed in the right direction and I'm just happy to be a part of it," he said. "You've got guys who have been working toward getting better every year, and right now I think they're right on the edge. Hopefully I can help push them over."

That's exactly what the Bills were thinking when they acquired the 6-foot-6, 310-pound Stroud from Jacksonville in March in exchange for a couple of draft picks. Buffalo's porous defense was next to last in yards allowed last year, and hasn't been in the top half of the league since ranking second in 2004.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=690305&poster=gbid

OpIv37
05-21-2008, 05:43 PM
so, he doesn't want to suck? That's a good start. The next step is not sucking once the game starts.

Jan Reimers
05-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I just hope his ankle is 100% by the start of the season. If it is, he could be the catalyst of a big improvement on defense.

YardRat
05-21-2008, 05:50 PM
:beers:

Here's to a healthy and productive season from Marcus.

The Spaz
05-21-2008, 05:54 PM
so, he doesn't want to suck? That's a good start. The next step is not sucking once the game starts.

So you think he sucks? What gives you that thought?

OpIv37
05-21-2008, 05:56 PM
So you think he sucks? What gives you that thought?

I never said that- the article said he's "striving for a productive season." Seems ridiculous to think he would strive for anything less. But it's one thing to say you're going to be productive and it's another thing to actually do it.

I couldn't help but look at the headline and wonder what the hell else he would have said. "yeah, I don't really care about being productive- I just want to collect my paycheck and try not to get hurt again." Please.

This is the problem with the NFL having an 8 month off season. "Player doesn't want to suck" suddenly becomes a story worth reporting.

Night Train
05-21-2008, 06:13 PM
I just hope his ankle is 100% by the start of the season. If it is, he could be the catalyst of a big improvement on defense.

I hope the same..because Kyle Williams would be the worst replacement I could think of. I was hoping they would find another clogger for the middle, just in case of injury. It's DEFINITELY NOT Williams.

He's a swinging door.

Ultra Chimp 1
05-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Well at least Stroud has blue-chip talent.

Lee Evans is the only other player you can say that about on our team.

mysticsoto
05-21-2008, 07:08 PM

:sigh:

Always the negative nancy...some people might look at that and say, "Oh great! He's motivated" - which is what we want our players to be...self motivated to succeed and not going through the motions to get paid like Mike Williams used to do!!!

OpIv37
05-21-2008, 08:13 PM
:sigh:

Always the negative nancy...some people might look at that and say, "Oh great! He's motivated" - which is what we want our players to be...self motivated to succeed and not going through the motions to get paid like Mike Williams used to do!!!

why would we ever sign a player who WASN'T motivated? The headline is basically "Player Doesn't Want to Suck." It fails the "man bites dog" test and sounds more like a headline from the Onion than real news.

I agree that it's a good thing that he's motivated- I just don't see why it warrants an article. It's just off-season filler, and after 5 months I'm sick of off-season filler.

jamze132
05-22-2008, 03:06 AM
Well at least Stroud has blue-chip talent.

Lee Evans is the only other player you can say that about on our team.

Really? what about Jason Peter's? Marshwn Lynch? Brian Freakin' Mooman?

2 of the 3 guys I just mentioned all have at least one Pro Bowl invite on their resume. And one of the guys has 3.

justasportsfan
05-22-2008, 09:10 AM
New Bills defensive tackle Marcus Stroud is the first to say that last season was one to forget. Now in a new city and playing on a new team, Stroud is anxious to begin putting together a more memorable campaign.

"This team is headed in the right direction and I'm just happy to be a part of it," he said. "You've got guys who have been working toward getting better every year, and right now I think they're right on the edge. Hopefully I can help push them over."

That's exactly what the Bills were thinking when they acquired the 6-foot-6, 310-pound Stroud from Jacksonville in March in exchange for a couple of draft picks. Buffalo's porous defense was next to last in yards allowed last year, and hasn't been in the top half of the league since ranking second in 2004.

I'm not reading another article anymore. They are all quoting and being fed what they want to hear just like Chris Brown.

ublinkwescore
05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Really? what about Jason Peter's? Marshwn Lynch? Brian Freakin' Mooman?

2 of the 3 guys I just mentioned all have at least one Pro Bowl invite on their resume. And one of the guys has 3.

I'm not arguing with you, but I've gotta say - the pro bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest.

The Answer
05-22-2008, 01:28 PM

This is really the one player this team needs to stay healthy and contribute in 2008 or it's going to be another long year trying to get opposing offenses of the field if they can continue to run at will against us.

~The Answer

jamze132
05-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm not arguing with you, but I've gotta say - the pro bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest.
I will not dispute that at all, as I completely agree, but an undrafted rookie playing his first entire season at LT and selected to the Pro Bowl is pretty impressive to me. And obviously was to many other coaches and players.

Not to mention the fact that he was voted 1st or 2nd All NFL Team by multiple media outlets...

mysticsoto
05-22-2008, 02:00 PM
why would we ever sign a player who WASN'T motivated? The headline is basically "Player Doesn't Want to Suck." It fails the "man bites dog" test and sounds more like a headline from the Onion than real news.

I agree that it's a good thing that he's motivated- I just don't see why it warrants an article. It's just off-season filler, and after 5 months I'm sick of off-season filler.

You don't always know. Do you think the FO looked at Mike Williams and said, "He's not motivated, but we'll sign him anyway." Sometimes you don't know what you are going to get. So if Stroud is showing like he's pumped up and really can't wait til he gets out there - then that's a good thing! Only you would find a way to look at that negatively!!!

OpIv37
05-22-2008, 03:25 PM
You don't always know. Do you think the FO looked at Mike Williams and said, "He's not motivated, but we'll sign him anyway." Sometimes you don't know what you are going to get. So if Stroud is showing like he's pumped up and really can't wait til he gets out there - then that's a good thing! Only you would find a way to look at that negatively!!!
there's no reason to look at it negatively or positively. Saying he's going to do something and actually doing it are two entirely different things, so we'll have to wait and see.

justasportsfan
05-22-2008, 03:26 PM
there's no reason to look at it negatively or positively. Saying he's going to do something and actually doing it are two entirely different things, so we'll have to wait and see.
you sound like someone I know :D

SeatownBillsFan21
05-24-2008, 02:59 AM
If he stays healthy then he's got a chance to be special its not the big injury it's the niks that scare me

mysticsoto
05-24-2008, 10:00 PM

"Wait and see"? Who is this? This isn't Op? This isn't the Op that overreacted and panic'ed last year b'cse JP got hurt days before the season started lifting a few things...the same Op that pretty much wrote our season off at that point and also criticized that FO as blowing smoke up our ass in that DiG was looking good in TC. Is this that same Op???

HHURRICANE
05-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Guys, I'm very concerned about this ankle. It's still not 100%. It hasn't been 100% for almost 2 years.

Jan Reimers
05-25-2008, 09:52 AM
The Bills' medical people pretty much gave him a clean bill of health, but I'm concerned, too. I think he had microfracture (not sure if that's the right term) surgery, from which athletes sometimes never completely recover.