PDA

View Full Version : Peters pressing Bills for a raise

YardRat
05-21-2008, 08:34 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/352324.html

Buffalo Bills left tackle Jason Peters hopes to capitalize on his Pro Bowl season by getting a pay raise from the team.

Peters' absence from voluntary spring practices this week is at least partly attributable to the fact he would like a new contract, team and league sources told The Buffalo News.

camelcowboy
05-21-2008, 09:14 PM
it was inevitable

Tatonka
05-21-2008, 09:15 PM
i would say he should prove it for one more season, but that would likely just make him more expensive in one year.

X-Era
05-21-2008, 09:16 PM

Buffalo Bills left tackle Jason Peters hopes to capitalize on his Pro Bowl season by getting a pay raise from the team.

Peters' absence from voluntary spring practices this week is at least partly attributable to the fact he would like a new contract, team and league sources told The Buffalo News.

And hes worth every penny and we ought to step up, just that simple.

X-Era
05-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Here we are, yet again, on the edge of making several big decisions that could have big impacts on getting out of our perpetual medicority.

Winfield
Pat Williams
Nate Clements

Now we have Jason Peters and Lee Evans.

Pay them, or sell the damn team because you cant compete or arent willing to even try.

Confused
05-21-2008, 09:21 PM
(kgb, from the movie "rounders") "pay him, pay that man his money..."

OpIv37
05-21-2008, 09:24 PM
he's got the team by the balls. They need him desperately, they have the cap space, and it's too late to find an alternative.

But, he deserves the raise anyway.

Pay the man.

My only hesitation would be to see how he responds from his injury, but again, we don't really have a choice at this point.

Mahdi
05-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Teams dont give away LTs. Peters will get a new contract. I dont remember the last time a top LT was allowed to leave.

circlethewagons
05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
If theres one guy on the team who deserves a pay raise, its certainly peters. We certainly have the cap room to do it as well- Lets just hope it doesnt drastically effect the Lee Evans situation

raphael120
05-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Man I love the NFL...if only real jobs were like this.

Bone
05-21-2008, 09:50 PM
He should get paid, he is one of the best LT in the league.

The Spaz
05-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah he is under contract but he is one of the better LOT and deserves to be paid like it. Also we have nobody else who can play that position well.

theanswer74
05-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Man I love the NFL...if only real jobs were like this.

They are, if your good enough.

raphael120
05-21-2008, 10:02 PM

I was recalling more the recent huge rookie contracts given, and the fact that if you don't like your salary you can just not go to work while they negotiate.

Dr. Pepper
05-22-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm the best baker at my Wegmans, but am making less than some of my co-workers make..... can I hold out for more $??

HAMMER
05-22-2008, 01:26 AM
He JUST got a raise! I am sooooo sick of this crap, play at a pro bowl level for another year or two and then we'll talk. Piss off Peters.

jamze132
05-22-2008, 02:57 AM
I don't see how he should not be the highest paid member of the O-line. He has a valid excuse for wanting more money...

X-Era
05-22-2008, 07:07 AM
He JUST got a raise! I am sooooo sick of this crap, play at a pro bowl level for another year or two and then we'll talk. Piss off Peters.

No way man. There is NO reason that our best O-lineman, and are only pro-bowl O-lineman, at the most critical position, LT, shouldnt be paid the most.

Raise or not, he deserves to be the highest paid.

Ickybaluky
05-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Teams dont give away LTs. Peters will get a new contract. I dont remember the last time a top LT was allowed to leave.

Willie Roaf...

... and the Saints made a big mistake letting him go.

mybills
05-22-2008, 07:29 AM
PAY HIM, PAY HIM NOW!
:bandwagon

lordofgun
05-22-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm the best baker at my Wegmans, but am making less than some of my co-workers make..... can I hold out for more $??
I'd kill myself if Mikey made more than me. :ill:

Bruce is Loose
05-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Probably.
There is a risk with this but if they know how good you are then yes, you can probably ask for more money. Now your bakery might suck it up and lose you if you piss them off, which is because you arent making them as much as Peters is making for the Bills, so you will have to be more political about it than just not showing up.
Still, if you are the best baker and the people with the $$ agree then you should make the most of the bakers - unless of course you are OK making less, in which case they have no reason to pony up.

Philagape
05-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Gotta do something with all the money the Bills still have left to spend, and there's no better thing to spend it on than a young franchise left tackle.

don137
05-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Pretty scary when we think a person is underpaid because he only makes 4 million a year.

Buckets
05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
And if he has another Pro Bowl year whats to prevent another hold out next year and the next, where does OBD make a stand? If he is not the highest paid ofensive lineman I agree he should be, but again he just got a raise why the protest? Have the Bills treated him poorley? He was undrafted and the Bills took a chance, it sems to me he has been treated well here.

THATHURMANATOR
05-22-2008, 09:56 AM
PAY BOTH OF THEM IMMEDIATELY

ddaryl
05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Peters holds all the card IMO. We can not afford to move forward without him, and he knows this. The league in general have sung his praises, and he is under payed for a probowl LT.

I really do not think the Bills have any choice, they have to give him a raise.

justasportsfan
05-22-2008, 10:13 AM
PAY BOTH OF THEM IMMEDIATELY
careful.

patmoran2006
05-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Dont we still have a TON of cash to cap space. We better be able to resign Peters and Evans without either getting ugly.. They are BOTH worth it, young and barely scratching surface of their primes.

Not saying we wont, but if we let these guys walk or get into ugly situations, Wilson seriously needs to sell this team; or do whatever he has to do.

WE're building a strong team. Not saying he will be, but now its time for Wilson to step up more and make sure we field a contender.

Peters is as good as any young OT in the NFL, including Jamal Brown. pay him now and lock him down.

yordad
05-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Peters holds all the card IMO. We can not afford to move forward without him, and he knows this. The league in general have sung his praises, and he is under payed for a probowl LT.

I really do not think the Bills have any choice, they have to give him a raise.He doesn't hold all the cards; how long is he still under contract for? IMO, Evans is a higher, more immediate concern. Followed by Crowell. Peter's can wait til next year.

But, as long as they spend that cash all the way to the cap, I will be happy with what they have done.

FlyingDutchman
05-22-2008, 11:00 AM
Pay the man his money. That being said, I hope he doesnt get too crazy with an asking price. Lets not forget who took a chance on the undrafted TE and made him into a Pro Bowl LT. The love affair should go both ways.

Mahdi
05-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Willie Roaf...

... and the Saints made a big mistake letting him go.
Didnt know that.... Interesting... That was a franchise changing mistake for the Saints and re-defining acquisition for the Chiefs.

BAM
05-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Right on! Especially in my field (Civil Engineering). There's such a demand for them in this area that you can pretty much pick your place of employment. Over the last year I've had two offers from other firms that have landed me payraises here. In fact I have another interview next Friday at a place in PA. Maybe I'll see another pay hike. :$:

Ickybaluky
05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Pretty scary when we think a person is underpaid because he only makes 4 million a year.

It is relative to what others are making.

Think of it this way:

Miami just paid Jake Long $10M per season, and he hasn't played an down in the NFL yet.

The Jets just paid Alan Faneca $8M per season, and he is a 31 year old guard.

Peters probably looks at those deals and his kind of pales in comparison.

yordad
05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
It is relative to what others are making.

Think of it this way:

Miami just paid Jake Long $10M per season, and he hasn't played an down in the NFL yet.

The Jets just paid Alan Faneca $8M per season, and he is a 31 year old guard.

Peters probably looks at those deals and his kind of pales in comparison.Yes it is relative. Now compare it to what he would make if the Bills didn't sign his undrafted arse. The Bills signed him long term on basically potential. Now that he filled it he wants a raise? So, the Bills take all the risk, but get none of the reward?

dasaybz
05-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Holy crap this is aggravating. Play out your damn contract.

He signed the damn thing.

Jeez.

TacklingDummy
05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Dont we still have a TON of cash to cap space. We better be able to resign Peters and Evans without either getting ugly.

How do you resign someone who's under contract for 3 more years?

If Peters cared about the Bills he wouldn't holdout with 3 years left on his deal. This is looking like all he cares about is himself.

Sitout and make nothing for all I care, you friggin millionaire baby.

I could see talking about his contract if he had 1 or 2 years left but 3? Give me a break.

dasaybz
05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
How do you resign someone who's under contract for 3 more years?

If Peters cared about the Bills he wouldn't holdout with 3 years left on his deal. This is looking like all he cares about is himself.

Sitout and make nothing for all I care, you friggin millionaire baby.

I could see talking about his contract if he had 1 or 2 years left but 3? Give me a break.

Dude, I'm on the exact same page as you.

The Answer
05-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Yet another potential cancer that needs to shut his mouth and respect his current contract. He's got a lot of balls especially coming off a serious injury.

Let me see him stay healthy in 2008 and have a dominant, and I do mean very dominant, season and then we'll talk.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Yes it is relative. Now compare it to what he would make if the Bills didn't sign his undrafted arse. The Bills signed him long term on basically potential. Now that he filled it he wants a raise? So, the Bills take all the risk, but get none of the reward?
the bills gave him a chance, I agree. He earned it however. The bills didn't do it out of the goodness of their heart either.

IF the bIlls didn't give Schobel more money, then it would be hard to justify Peters wanting more money. Schobel did resign with us too and the bills decided to give him more money even though Peters was more deserving. If the FO wants to play favorites, they better choose well. Remember when Donablow decided that Pat Willaims was not his favorite player?

Trents durability being in question even makes Peters more valuable. The last thing he needs is to get blindsided.

yordad
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
the bills gave him a chance, I agree. He earned it however. The bills didn't do it out of the goodness of their heart either.

IF the bIlls didn't give Schobel more money, then it would be hard to justify Peters wanting more money. Schobel did resign with us too and the bills decided to give him more money even though Peters was more deserving. If the FO wants to play favorites, they better choose well. Remember when Donablow decided that Pat Willaims was not his favorite player?

Trents durability being in question even makes Peters more valuable. The last thing he needs is to get blindsided.IMO, the guy has three year left on his contract, and if he doesn't want to play ball later he can expect 2 years of being franchised. That is five years to find a good replacement, and by that time he will have peaked and probably be on the decline. I mean sure, ask for an extention, it won't hurt to ask. But, demanding and skipping this important time is not the way to get a wanted reaction.

I can't stand it when guys want to redeal with three years left. You signed the contract. It could have went either way. You could have got a deal, or the Bills could have got a deal. It shouldn't be a one way street. Now that the Bills are the ones making out, you want a redo?

Shutup and play. You should consider yourself fortunate. You should maximize your time on the field, and maybe do some demanding in two more years. 'Til then, anything would have been done out the kindness of heart. This is a business not a chairty. Life ain't always fair. But, you don't replace the fairness to the individual with detriment to the fairness of the franchise.

Night Train
05-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Just pay everyone 6 Mil and keep raising ticket prices !

Brilliant !

justasportsfan
05-22-2008, 02:44 PM
IMO, the guy has three year left on his contract, and if he doesn't want to play ball later he can expect 2 years of being franchised. That is five years to find a good replacement, and by that time he will have peaked and probably be on the decline. I mean sure, ask for an extention, it won't hurt to ask. But, demanding and skipping this important time is not the way to get a wanted reaction.

I can't stand it when guys want to redeal with three years left. You signed the contract. It could have went either way. You could have got a deal, or the Bills could have got a deal. It shouldn't be a one way street. Now that the Bills are the ones making out, you want a redo?

Shutup and play. You should consider yourself fortunate. You should maximize your time on the field, and maybe do some demanding in two more years. 'Til then, anything would have been done out the kindness of heart. This is a business not a chairty. Life ain't always fair. But, you don't replace the fairness to the individual with detriment to the fairness of the franchise.

You can't tell one of the best players on our team to shut up and play when you just gave Schobel more money not to mention making Dockery the highest player in franchise history .Lets not forget that Walker is paid more .

The fact that you talked about franchising Peters means he of all the players mentioned should be paid more than the others. I wouldn't franchise Dockery or Walker but I wouldn't mind franchising Peters. That says a lot.

I agree that this is a business but a thank ess one at that. Renegotiating a contract is part of this business.

. It's what you do when you are on the field that determines your paycheck and Peter has done enough to warrant a paycheck higher than Walkers and arguably Dockery's.

Teams can ask for a paycut or cut your arse if you don't agree. It goes both ways.

yordad
05-22-2008, 03:01 PM
You can't tell one of the best players on our team to shut up and play when you just gave Schobel more money not to mention making Dockery the highest player in franchise history .Lets not forget that Walker is paid more .

The fact that you talked about franchising Peters means he of all the players mentioned should be paid more than the others. I wouldn't franchise Dockery or Walker but I wouldn't mind franchising Peters. That says a lot.

I agree that this is a business but a thank ess one at that. Renegotiating a contract is part of this business.

. It's what you do when you are on the field that determines your paycheck and Peter has done enough to warrant a paycheck higher than Walkers and arguably Dockery's.

Teams can ask for a paycut or cut your arse if you don't agree. It goes both ways.Solid arguement, but do you feel it would be ok if we never extended Schobel? And do you feel the extention of Schobel worked out? And, do you feel two wrongs make a right? Were does it stop? Here comes Lynch, Edwards, Whitner, Simpson, McCargo, etc.

Dock, and Walker were Free Agents. If Peters wanted to be a free agent, he shouldn't have signed such a long contract. He made the long term deal, and no one twisted his arm. Both sides entered the agreement knowing the risk.

theanswer74
05-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Jason Peters will make 3-4 million, which is a lot of money, but 3 million vs 25 million? He has to try and get it.

theanswer74
05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Solid arguement, but do you feel it would be ok if we never extended Schobel? And do you feel the extention of Schobel worked out? And, do you feel two wrongs make a right? Were does it stop? Here comes Lynch, Edwards, Whitner, Simpson, McCargo, etc.

Dock, and Walker were Free Agents. If Peters wanted to be a free agent, he shouldn't have signed such a long contract. He made the long term deal, and no one twisted his arm. Both sides entered the agreement knowing the risk.

Jason Peters is arguably one of the top 3 OT's in football. As good as the players are that you mentioned, I doubt in the next 2 years they will be a top 3 player at their position.

justasportsfan
05-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Solid arguement, but do you feel it would be ok if we never extended Schobel? And do you feel the extention of Schobel worked out? And, do you feel two wrongs make a right?.I wouldn't feel okay if we didn't extend Schobel just like I wouldn't be okay if we didn't give Peters more money now the HE's one of the leagues best LT and getting better.

Were does it stop? Here comes Lynch, Edwards, Whitner, Simpson, McCargo, etc. .this is why I didn't think Ralphy was clueless in voting NO for the new CBA. This caused a lot of problems for teams because it gave almost every top player a raise. Kelsay isn't even a top player and it gave him a huge raise. Peters is more valuable than kelsay.

Dock, and Walker were Free Agents. If Peters wanted to be a free agent, he shouldn't have signed such a long contract. He made the long term deal, and no one twisted his arm. Both sides entered the agreement knowing the risk.the same can be said about Schobel and yet we gave him more money which is my argument in the first place.

Peters is underpaid for a TOP LT who rates like a franchise player , while Kelsay is overpaid. The FO screwed up on this one and now they have to make things right .

IMO, we have the core of the team all set with Peters being one of the best core players. Lock him up. Make him happy and the qb will be happy.

PECKERWOOD
05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Dont we still have a TON of cash to cap space. We better be able to resign Peters and Evans without either getting ugly.. They are BOTH worth it, young and barely scratching surface of their primes.

Not saying we wont, but if we let these guys walk or get into ugly situations, Wilson seriously needs to sell this team; or do whatever he has to do.

WE're building a strong team. Not saying he will be, but now its time for Wilson to step up more and make sure we field a contender.

Peters is as good as any young OT in the NFL, including Jamal Brown. pay him now and lock him down.

If we lose Peters and Evans then it's clear to me that OBD isn't serious about winning.

yordad
05-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Jason Peters is arguably one of the top 3 OT's in football. As good as the players are that you mentioned, I doubt in the next 2 years they will be a top 3 player at their position.Where does it stop? "Only if you will soon be a top three player will you get an extention"?

justasportsfan
05-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Where does it stop? "Only if you will soon be a top three player will you get an extention"?

It stops when you're not a franchise player. Between Schobel and Peters, I couldn't care less if Aaron held out.

Philagape
05-22-2008, 03:35 PM
The Bills don't have to give Peters a new deal, but giving him one anyway when they don't have to sends out the message that they reward excellence and value their top players. That will go a ways toward offsetting any negative reputation the Bills may have among players around the league.
Plus, they have the money. That's all the reason they need. Locking up a young franchise LT is better than sitting in Ralph's pocket.

yordad
05-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't feel okay if we didn't extend Schobel just like I wouldn't be okay if we didn't give Peters more money now the HE's one of the leagues best LT and getting better.

this is why I didn't think Ralphy was clueless in voting NO for the new CBA. This caused a lot of problems for teams because it gave almost every top player a raise. Kelsay isn't even a top player and it gave him a huge raise. Peters is more valuable than kelsay.

the same can be said about Schobel and yet we gave him more money which is my argument in the first place.

Peters is underpaid for a TOP LT who rates like a franchise player , while Kelsay is overpaid. The FO screwed up on this one and now they have to make things right .

IMO, we have the core of the team all set with Peters being one of the best core players. Lock him up. Make him happy and the qb will be happy.He is locked up already. For 5 years. You act like his imminent extention is now or never.

yordad
05-22-2008, 04:05 PM
The Bills don't have to give Peters a new deal, but giving him one anyway when they don't have to sends out the message that they reward excellence and value their top players. That will go a ways toward offsetting any negative reputation the Bills may have among players around the league.
Plus, they have the money. That's all the reason they need. Locking up a young franchise LT is better than sitting in Ralph's pocket.OK, so give a guy you already have signed long term more money so you can attract more players you can no longer afford because of it?

It stops when you're not a franchise player. Between Schobel and Peters, I couldn't care less if Aaron held out.So, if we extend all of our franchise players years before they are in need of it, then who do we franchise? If we wait two years before we franchise Peters, we can still extend him. And, he will still play ball. Extending him now reduces the chances of extending Crowell and/or Evans. We can get two more cheap years out of him before we need to give a larger contract, and a larger bonus. You shoot your self in the foot giving it two years sooner then you have to, and losing a different key guy.

He will still play ball. No one wants to play their last year without an extention. No one wants to get franchised, being forced to play one or two additional years without a long term contract.

We have all the cards in our favor. On a business level, it doesn't make sense to extend him. On a personal level it makes more sense to extend Lee or Crowell and not Peters. Afterall they fulfilled there contract requirments fuller then Peters. And, they were equally underpaid, IMO.

Philagape
05-22-2008, 04:27 PM
OK, so give a guy you already have signed long term more money so you can attract more players you can no longer afford because of it?

If we can't afford it, that's another thing, but now we can show what we do when we can afford it.

Philagape
05-22-2008, 04:28 PM
And Peters is 10 times more valuable to this team than Crowell.

theanswer74
05-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Where does it stop? "Only if you will soon be a top three player will you get an extention"?

Peters has pretty much hit his peak in terms of reputation around the NFL. Around the league he is viewed as a top 5 OT.

Crowell, Whitner, and Lynch have a long way to go before they are considered that good.

Peters can hold out because his talents are irreplaceable.

Meathead
05-22-2008, 07:45 PM
hes not too bright though

throw in a couple rare wii games and offer several million less

yordad
05-22-2008, 08:49 PM
If we can't afford it, that's another thing, but now we can show what we do when we can afford it.
He doesn't hold all the cards; how long is he still under contract for? IMO, Evans is a higher, more immediate concern. Followed by Crowell. Peter's can wait til next year.

But, as long as they spend that cash all the way to the cap, I will be happy with what they have done.If you guys think he is going to sit out a year without an extension, I think you are dead wrong. He has very little to force action.

Ickybaluky
05-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Adam Schefter is reporting it now (http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=0A6E3EF7DA172FE981650717C44214E4?id=09000d5d80874d86&template=with-video&confirm=true):

A potentially volatile contract situation is brewing in Buffalo, and though no one wants to discuss it right now, actions will say plenty this summer.

Buffalo’s Pro Bowl offensive tackle Jason Peters, who many believe is the top young left tackle in the game, skipped the Bills' volunatry OTAs this week. Next up is next month’s mandatory minicamp.

If Peters is absent again –- and the smart money says he will be –- then it will become obvious that there is another sticky contract squabble to go along with Brian Urlacher’s, Anquan Boldin’s, and Albert Haynesworth’s.

Peters is scheduled to earn $3.25 million in base salary this year, $2.95 million next year and $3.4 million in the final year of his contract. Buffalo also paid Peters $5.75 million worth of bonuses in July 2006, when he signed his extension. But that extension now pales in comparison to the type of deal that Tennessee’s left tackle Michael Roos got last month, when he signed a six-year, $43 million deal.

Peters hasn’t complained publicly like other players. Instead he has remained silent, and probably will continue to do so. But Peters has hired agent Eugene Parker to assist in negotiations, and Parker has a track record with similar situations.

Back in 2005, two of Parker’s most high-profile clients, Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward and Patriots defensive lineman Richard Seymour, each skipped the first part of training camp in an effort to land a lucrative extension.

Ward missed over two weeks of camp before signing a four-year extension; Seymour missed nearly two weeks of practice before agreeing to a restructured deal that was extended the next summer. Peters could opt for the same approach, hoping for similar results.

But it is not going to be an easy situation for the Bills, potentially being without one of the league’s top linemen. The quietness surrounding the issue is an indication that it threatens to last at least a little while. And maybe a lot longer.

YardRat
05-22-2008, 09:36 PM
I'd extend Peters before I would Evans.

If other lineman such as Dockery, Walker, and Schobel get shown the money, Peters cashing in should be a no-brainer.

Philagape
05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
If you guys think he is going to sit out a year without an extension, I think you are dead wrong. He has very little to force action.

I don't think that at all; that's why I said it would be good for the Bills to do it when they don't have to. That shows integrity.

HAMMER
05-22-2008, 10:02 PM
I don't think that at all; that's why I said it would be good for the Bills to do it when they don't have to. That shows integrity.

That is not integrity, it's stupidity. If they cave at every turn, players will be sqwaking every chance they get. What if Pos makes the Pro Bowl this year, how about Edwards, or Greer? It has to stop somewhere. I tell him to play another year at a pro bowl level and then we'll talk. He just signed a new deal before last season, time to earn that money.