PDA

View Full Version : Random quotes from around the NFL

Gunzlingr
04-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Vikings owner Red McCombs, squashing the rumors that QB Daunte Culpepper could be traded if the team can’t soon sign him to a new deal: “We've never given any thought to trading him, and we're not dancing on hot coals as to whether we get him signed, either. He's under contract and is our quarterback for (2003). If we get him signed, fine. If we don't, that's fine also. But we've never given any thought to trading him.”
More trade-talk squelching, this time from Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi, who is in no rush to trade RB Ron Dayne: “We're in good shape at a position that is a high-risk position. I'm selfish. I understand his position; he is a competitor. He is probably frustrated most by the fact that he probably knows how good Tiki [Barber] is, but he is valuable to us right now.''
Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil on the late former Eagles owner Leonard Tose, who helped put a Super Bowl team together in 1979 but lost the franchise due to a gambling problem that cost him millions: “I've lost a very close friend. I think the National Football League has lost one of its most unique characters in a position of ownership that ever existed. He was not ordinary. He lived life to its fullest. He tested it and, for the most part, got the most of it.”
Kevin Poston, agent for Michigan State WR Charles Rogers, explaining why his client had tested positive for a masking agent — diluted urine — at the Scouting Combine: “He had to go to the bathroom for them at 5:30 in the morning and with people standing all around him. He couldn't go, so they gave him a lot of water and 30 minutes later, he did [urinate]. I'm very comfortable with this. This does not put Charles in the league's drug program. If they want to evaluate him, that's fine, because Charles doesn't use anything.”
Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer on general manager John Butler, who died from lymphoma Friday: “He was the consummate football guy. Football, after his family, was the thing that was most important to him. We lost a giant here, both literally and figuratively.''

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/They+Said+It/2003/said33.htm