PDA

View Full Version : OTA Notes: McKelvin And Hardy Make Plays

The Spaz
05-22-2008, 03:45 PM
As the first week of OTAs wrapped up for the Bills their top two picks turned in some plays. James Hardy made some quality receptions over the middle and Leodis McKelvin made his first interception when he jumped in front of a route in the slot and took it the other way.

The two rookies made progress in their first week as the coaching staff made a point of sprinkling the younger players in with the first offensive and defensive units.

"We need to look at different mixes of guys, certainly with our young players we need to expose them to as much as we can so we can start making some judgments," said Bills head coach Dick Jauron. "And we have a feel for them as players off of college tape. We won't really know until they get into a preseason game or at least some kind of camp activity where we have a better feel for them. But this is where it starts so we need to mix them."

Third-round pick Chris Ellis also got some first team reps in place of Aaron Schobel at right defensive end, while fourth-round pick Reggie Corner factored into some subpackages.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6098

acehole
05-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Good sheet...thanks.

Very encouraging.

As the first week of OTAs wrapped up for the Bills their top two picks turned in some plays. James Hardy made some quality receptions over the middle and Leodis McKelvin made his first interception when he jumped in front of a route in the slot and took it the other way.

The two rookies made progress in their first week as the coaching staff made a point of sprinkling the younger players in with the first offensive and defensive units.

"We need to look at different mixes of guys, certainly with our young players we need to expose them to as much as we can so we can start making some judgments," said Bills head coach Dick Jauron. "And we have a feel for them as players off of college tape. We won't really know until they get into a preseason game or at least some kind of camp activity where we have a better feel for them. But this is where it starts so we need to mix them."

Third-round pick Chris Ellis also got some first team reps in place of Aaron Schobel at right defensive end, while fourth-round pick Reggie Corner factored into some subpackages.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6098

Mitchy moo
05-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Fluff.

Jan Reimers
05-22-2008, 04:49 PM
We need 3 or 4 of our rookies to make an impact this year if we're going to challenge for the playoffs.

raphael120
05-22-2008, 04:58 PM
I should hope they make plays. season in and season out. 1rst and 2nd round picks aren't selected to do nothing.

The Jokeman
05-22-2008, 08:16 PM
We need 3 or 4 of our rookies to make an impact this year if we're going to challenge for the playoffs.
That's asking a lot, asking one even two rookies produce be considered a great draft rookie class (see last year with Lynch and Edwards). If the Bills are going to advance to the playoffs we need to get better play from the entire offensive unit more specifically Trent Edwards, Lee Evans and the rest of the WR core and the defense. The individuals on defense I feel we need improvement from are Kelsay/Denney, Poz, Whitner and the CB unit. I think Marcus Stroud definitely is going to help the overall defense but not sure we really brought in anyone on offense that's going to be a difference maker. I've posted before think that think a good year for Hardy will be 42 catches 478 yards and 5 TDs. So while I think the Bills might be better then there were last year (I could see us going 9-7 or 10-6) it might not be good enough to make the playoffs again as not sure we did enough to improve our offense.

YardRat
05-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Hardy has to start right off the bat, and McKelvin needs to be able to put himself into one of the corner positions by mid-season. Anything from Ellis, Fine, Corner, etc is gravy.

SeatownBillsFan21
05-22-2008, 11:54 PM
I hope there makin plays thats what we got them 4 cant wait till the season starts the suspense is killing me

The Answer
05-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I expect both McKelvin and Hardy to contribute this year - but anybody expecting them to be superstars out of the gate is asking way too much.

I also expect our special teams to benefit from the influx of young rookies and other FA signings.

The true wild card is Steve Johnson - I could honestly see him emerging as the 3rd or 4th receiver in this offense before it's all said and done.

I'm also praying that somebody like Teyo Johnson or Courtney Alexander can make a solid contribution at the TE position but both are pretty much busts at this point in their careers thus far.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-23-2008, 11:36 AM
No signs of Johnson and Oman ? :sadwalk:

LifetimeBillsFan
05-24-2008, 03:28 AM

Oman got a mention for a nice play (I forget if it was a run or run after a catch) earlier in the OTAs--Day 3, I think.

Nothing much on Johnson, although I think I caught a glimpse of him making a catch in one of the drills on one of the video clips.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-24-2008, 03:28 AM

Oman got a mention for a nice play (I forget if it was a run or run after a catch) earlier in the OTAs--Day 3, I think.

Nothing much on Steve Johnson, although I think I caught a glimpse of him making a catch in one of the drills on one of the video clips.

If you watch the wrap-up clip and the Edwards' clips (the one on BB.com and the one on NFL.com), there are some shots of the TEs catching passes during some of the drills. Teyo Johnson (# 87) looks quite big in comparison to Fine and Schouman and, while he makes a couple of nice short catches, he doesn't look terribly nimble out there.