PDA

View Full Version : Kelly not hitting panic button over Bills

YardRat
05-22-2008, 05:50 PM
http://www.whec.com/article/stories/S453421.shtml?cat=566

Former Buffalo Bills' quarterback Jim Kelly, in an exclusive interview with News 10 NBC Thursday, says people should not be hitting the panic button about the Bills. Kelly thinks the team will stay put. He was reacting to a column in the Buffalo News that says the Bills could be moved someday to L.A. or Toronto.

"I would do whatever it takes to make sure that team stays in Buffalo," said Kelly. "I can't see them going anywhere, whether it's Toronto or Los Angeles."

The team's announcement that it will play exhibition and regular season games in Toronto opened the door to speculation. Will the team someday be known as the Toronto Bills? The Buffalo News article says the most likely scenario is that a billionaire from Toronto or Los Angeles will make the highest bid for the team and move it. Owner Ralph Wilson is 89 years old. And it's unclear whether his family would eventually sell the team.

Kelly, a Hall of Famer, says he is interested in being part of a future ownership team. Said Kelly, "Yes, I do have people that I know that are very interested in being a part of this. My home is now in Buffalo New York."

FlyingDutchman
05-22-2008, 06:13 PM
He came into my work today. I happend to be outside in the front of the building on Main street when he appeard out of nowhere crossing the street right at me. We said hello and he went into my building.....Great story dutchman....:yawn:

OpIv37
05-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I've said it before, but it looks like I have to say it again.

I admire Jim Kelly's commitment to the city and I love the fact that he made it his post-football home. But at the end of the day, it's not up to Jim Kelly. First, he doesn't have the money to buy the team himself (or even the 30% required by NFL rules to be the managing partner), so he would have to organize an ownership group. Second, the league has approval over the sale of any team. So if a rival bid wanted to take the team out of WNY to Toronto or LA and the league thinks they can make more money there (and they can), there's nothing Kelly can do about it.

So, hopefully he can get an ownership bid together and hopefully the league will agree to the sale, but at the end of the day, Jim Kelly's "whatever it takes" still may not be enough.

Bill Brasky
05-22-2008, 07:12 PM
He came into my work today. I happend to be outside in the front of the building on Main street when he appeard out of nowhere crossing the street right at me. We said hello and he went into my building.....Great story dutchman....:yawn:

are you working on any of the upcoming projects?

Confused
05-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Notice: The dead horse has been beaten so severley, it is no linger recognizable as a horse.

Drop it every one. none of us can stop it if it happens and and I seriously doubt anyone will see it coming. It will be part of the deal that any media leakage will denied as a rumor untill the sale is final.

Its out of our hands. new topic PUUUULLLEEEAAASSSSE!!!!!!!

oak tree 12
05-22-2008, 07:45 PM
http://www.whec.com/article/stories/S453421.shtml?cat=566

Former Buffalo Bills' quarterback Jim Kelly, in an exclusive interview with News 10 NBC Thursday, says people should not be hitting the panic button about the Bills. Kelly thinks the team will stay put. He was reacting to a column in the Buffalo News that says the Bills could be moved someday to L.A. or Toronto.

"I would do whatever it takes to make sure that team stays in Buffalo," said Kelly. "I can't see them going anywhere, whether it's Toronto or Los Angeles."

The team's announcement that it will play exhibition and regular season games in Toronto opened the door to speculation. Will the team someday be known as the Toronto Bills? The Buffalo News article says the most likely scenario is that a billionaire from Toronto or Los Angeles will make the highest bid for the team and move it. Owner Ralph Wilson is 89 years old. And it's unclear whether his family would eventually sell the team.

Kelly, a Hall of Famer, says he is interested in being part of a future ownership team. Said Kelly, "Yes, I do have people that I know that are very interested in being a part of this. My home is now in Buffalo New York."

LA will never get a team the NFL wants a team their because of their greed . the fact remains they have had teams there and never were supported.

the people of LA could care less about having a NFL team. Toronto is a problem.

wilson needs to do the right thing and make some sort of deal with Kelly behind the scenes that will ensure the team remains here. he should sell 51% to kelly's interests with the stipulation that he runs the show until he passes. that would insure the bills stay here after Ralph passes.

i cant believe that RW wants his legacy to be the guy who sold out the bills fans after 40 years of loyalty. his heirs already have more money then they or their next 3 generations can spend.

FlyingDutchman
05-22-2008, 07:50 PM
are you working on any of the upcoming projects?

na unfortunately. Im gonna be moving into an executive position sometime this summer with the new localscope division, but nothin with the sports network.

raphael120
05-22-2008, 09:21 PM
oh LA will eat it up, the NFL is bigger now than it was when LA had a team..the NFL is in vouge now and LA is all about fads and the hottest thing in town...

Patrick76777
05-22-2008, 10:12 PM

I admire Jim Kelly's commitment to the city and I love the fact that he made it his post-football home. But at the end of the day, it's not up to Jim Kelly. First, he doesn't have the money to buy the team himself (or even the 30% required by NFL rules to be the managing partner), so he would have to organize an ownership group. Second, the league has approval over the sale of any team. So if a rival bid wanted to take the team out of WNY to Toronto or LA and the league thinks they can make more money there (and they can), there's nothing Kelly can do about it.

So, hopefully he can get an ownership bid together and hopefully the league will agree to the sale, but at the end of the day, Jim Kelly's "whatever it takes" still may not be enough.

How did I know that NegIv would rush in to piss on this within 5 posts?

No credibility with me. Just a very bitter guy trying to bring everyone else down.

seanbillsfan
05-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Notice: The dead horse has been beaten so severley, it is no linger recognizable as a horse.

Drop it every one. none of us can stop it if it happens and and I seriously doubt anyone will see it coming. It will be part of the deal that any media leakage will denied as a rumor untill the sale is final.

Its out of our hands. new topic PUUUULLLEEEAAASSSSE!!!!!!!

Seriously, nothing is makeing you open these threads. If you don't want to face the potential reality then skip these topics. Thanks.

Bill Brasky
05-23-2008, 10:20 AM
na unfortunately. Im gonna be moving into an executive position sometime this summer with the new localscope division, but nothin with the sports network.

i will say hi to him for you. btw my office is decked out in buffalo bills paraphernalia. also, can i get that carrie underwood photocopied? haha

PromoTheRobot
05-23-2008, 10:27 AM

You really have to consider Jim's track record when he makes comments like these. First of all, he really says nothing of substance, no facts or hard plans to buy the team. Second, he doesn't have a great record of success in business. Third, Jim has been known to flap his gums at times. Maybe he's practicing for his future political career. God bless him if he can pull it off, but I wouldn't bet on him.

PTR

RockStar36
05-23-2008, 11:53 AM

I really doubt that you know whether or not Jim Kelly has at least the 30% required by the NFL unless you're a banker or you've been digging through his trash.

Dr. Lecter
05-23-2008, 11:58 AM
I pretty much agree with Op.

It is not only up to Jimbo, unless there is an agreement in place we are not being told about.

If the team sells for 800 million (low end), Jimbo would need 240 million of that for 30% and he ain't got it.

feelthepain
05-23-2008, 07:25 PM

Why don't the Bill fans buy the Bills? It seems to be working well for the Packers.