PDA

View Full Version : Video: Edwards Improving

The Answer
05-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Good video - definitely getting more excited as we get closer to training camp. Edwards is definitely looking and acting the part of a franchise qb so far......

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80874bb9

~The Answer

DrastiK
05-22-2008, 10:49 PM
I really am so excited too.

Meathead
05-22-2008, 11:19 PM
hes even more poised!

Romes
05-22-2008, 11:53 PM
who cares if he understands the offense better and is able to make better reads? I want to see him throw the ball 80 yards into a 130 mph head wind!

[/sarcasm]

Mr. Miyagi
05-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Sure it's only practice, but he does look calmer and more confident in what he's doing. This guy is going to be something very special I think.

The Answer
05-23-2008, 11:00 AM
This is called a puff piece.

Rightly so.

Put it away answer....

Nothing to see here.

Sorry but this is a solid video and Edwards is clearly improving - looks stronger and is very Manningesque in the way he dissects the game of football in his interviews.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Sorry but this is a solid video and Edwards is clearly improving - looks stronger and is very Manningesque in the way he dissects the game of football in his interviews.

~The AnswerI'm surprised OP hasn't jumped all over this yet.

thats what everyone says about their qb. I heard Beck is doing well too.

The King
05-23-2008, 11:27 AM
The Real Deal.....

The Answer
05-23-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm surprised OP hasn't jumped all over this yet.

thats what everyone says about their qb. I heard Beck is doing well too.

The Franchise has put on 15 pounds since last year and he is already ahead of the curve in terms of reading the defenses.

I'm not saying he is going to be the next Peyton Manning, but I'm very impressed with his demeanor overall - and he is definitely football savvy.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
The Franchise has put on 15 pounds since last year and he is already ahead of the curve in terms of reading the defenses.

I'm saying he is going to be the next Peyton Manning, but I'm very impressed with his demeanor overall - and he is definitely football savvy.

~The Answer

I was impressed with his demeanor on the field on sundays but not from that video where there were no DL going after him. Of course he'll look poised at OTA's. Defenders aren't allowed to hit them. They weren't even wearing pads.

FYI, The other qb's in that videos also looked poised and Manninguesq

HHURRICANE
05-23-2008, 01:12 PM
I was impressed with his demeanor on the field on sundays but not from that video where there were no DL going after him. Of course he'll look poised at OTA's. Defenders aren't allowed to hit them. They weren't even wearing pads.

Well, I agree that practice means nothing. However, Jaruon went out of his way to say how good he looked and was impresssed with his size.

His size his definately an advantage for this team and being over 6'4" and having almost 250 pounds on his frame isn't bad either.

justasportsfan
05-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, I agree that practice means nothing. However, Jaruon went out of his way to say how good he looked and was impresssed with his size.

His size his definately an advantage for this team and being over 6'4" and having almost 250 pounds on his frame isn't bad either.
Have you heard Dick say anything bad about anyone? NO!

Luisito23
05-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Trent does look huge compare to last year, and I'm glad he's working so hard to make himself a better player. I'm sure all of his hard work will pay off on the field, and personally I can't wait 'till TC!

L.A. Playa
05-23-2008, 03:34 PM

~The Answer

Being like Eli Manning is a good thing ????

The Answer
05-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Being like Eli Manning is a good thing ????

I meant Peyton - but then again Eli did just win a superbowl so if Trent can do that I could care less about how good or bad he looks in the process.

~The Answer

L.A. Playa
05-23-2008, 04:09 PM
just giving ya a hard time, I hope Edwards plays within himself, I think he is more of a caretaker type QB somebody who wont lose games for you, but also someone who isnt going to win games on his own.

he needs talented skill players around him, he isnt going to be like John Elway or Dan Marino and make avg WR's look like Hall of famers

acehole
05-23-2008, 04:09 PM

People look at the video again.

If he throws like that he will have a ton of balls batted and picked off this year.

Need to put more touch and air into that throw.

Beauty is in the eye I guess.

The Answer
05-23-2008, 04:15 PM
just giving ya a hard time, I hope Edwards plays within himself, I think he is more of a caretaker type QB somebody who wont lose games for you, but also someone who isnt going to win games on his own.

he needs talented skill players around him, he isnt going to be like John Elway or Dan Marino and make avg WR's look like Hall of famers

Playa - way too early to make any kind of conclusions like this - being a bus driver/caretaker type of QB would be worse case scenario for Trent. He has already shown flashes that he can be so much more.

Also he has already won games on his own and has 2 Elway/Marino type of come from behind wins. Also we had and still have very average receivers and he made them look pretty good, also made some scubs look great in training camp as well. And now with what promises to be better offensive playcalling and gameplanning he should only get better.

Don't sell The Franchise short - this kid is gonna ball!

~The Answer

HHURRICANE
05-23-2008, 04:19 PM
People look at the video again.

If he throws like that he will have a ton of balls batted and picked off this year.

Need to put more touch and air into that throw.

Beauty is in the eye I guess.

Actually, I agree that his ball was coming out a little flat.

Typ0
05-23-2008, 06:39 PM
at least there is a chance we can get some consistent and decent play from the QB position this year instead of having a proven loser back there.

John Doe
05-24-2008, 12:55 PM
I thought that the comment by Edwards was pretty interesting.

He said that Schonert is coaching him to change his view of who the primary receiver is depending on the look that the defense gives him. This is not changing the play call, just the first look in the progression.

This validates the opinion of many fans that the offense was too rigid last season. Fairchild did not want any improvisation at all. This year, Turk is encouraging it.

acehole
05-24-2008, 02:43 PM
It also make one ponder if the two qb's were getting the same plays and one made a choice of going long and one short. It would make some sense as a rookie would be more careful by nature and the vet more confidence in his WR making a play.

One would think that that choice would be easier with hardy over reed.

He said that Schonert is coaching him to change his view of who the primary receiver is depending on the look that the defense gives him. This is not changing the play call, just the first look in the progression.

This validates the opinion of many fans that the offense was too rigid last season. Fairchild did not want any improvisation at all. This year, Turk is encouraging it.

acehole
05-24-2008, 02:53 PM
at least there is a chance we can get some consistent and decent play from the QB position this year instead of having a proven loser back there.

JP is a loser....got it. Do you really have to repeat this kind of thing in every thread?

Put the JP voodoo doll away and stay on topic.

There is a good chance he improves on last year.
1. No fairchild.
2. J.Hardy legit #2WR
3. We will be using the TE's more.
4. Line had one year of gelling.
5. Easier schedule
6. QB 2nd year in system.
7. qb's muscley new arms will improve his arm stregth.
8. When you are last in the NFL statisticaly in the catigories
most keep track of there is a good chance you direction will be up.

Is that going to be good enough for playoffs?

The "Answer" says we have P Manning after seeing this video.....

I will wait until he proves somthing more.....for this fan.

But he is in a good situation over all.

feelthepain
05-24-2008, 04:52 PM

The longer Trent holds the ball, the more he get's hit. His college career was loaded with missed games fue to injuries. We'll see how he handles getting hit more often.

John Doe
05-24-2008, 05:04 PM
The longer Trent holds the ball, the more he get's hit. His college career was loaded with missed games fue to injuries. We'll see how he handles getting hit more often.

Actually, Schonerts strategy to change the progression of the reads is designed for Edwards to find the open receiver quicker.

The talk of the preseason is that Edwards will be getting the ball out quick and that is one of his strengths. Thus, he should be getting hit less, not more.

acehole
05-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Actually, Schonerts strategy to change the progression of the reads is designed for Edwards to find the open receiver quicker.

The talk of the preseason is that Edwards will be getting the ball out quick and that is one of his strengths. Thus, he should be getting hit less, not more.

The downside to this could be more picks with DB's jumping routes...

Every thing on paper looks good....we will see when the game is played.

I am so looking forward to the non fairchild offense...anything besides watching paint dry have to be more interesting.

acehole
05-24-2008, 05:13 PM

Very big concern of mine...

He does have a hisory of this that even followed him to the nfl last year.

F.O. is not blind to this.

djjimkelly
05-24-2008, 05:17 PM

~The Answer

so lets get this str8 u see drastic improvement in edwards running the O with no defenders on field with 0 pass rush in the bills field house.

thats great lol i love the logic here

yordad
05-24-2008, 05:22 PM
That video seemed more like a pro Turk vid. I gained little new intel about Trent. His arms do look a little bigger though.

John Doe
05-24-2008, 05:30 PM

Actually, Edwards did very well at getting rid of the ball last year - he was only sacked 12 times in 269 attempts. Our other QB got sacked 14 times in 175 attempts. I think that was a big factor in Edwards' securing the starting job.

justasportsfan
05-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Actually, Edwards did very well at getting rid of the ball last year - he was only sacked 12 times in 269 attempts. Our other QB got sacked 14 times in 175 attempts. I think that was a big factor in Edwards' securing the starting job.

THose stats even makes ace's concern more valid because that actually makes Trent look more injury prone compared to JP especially if you consider how they both got injured.

John Doe
05-24-2008, 06:24 PM
THose stats even makes ace's concern more valid because that actually makes Trent look more injury prone compared to JP especially if you consider how they both got injured.

That could be true, but the injury to Trent was not season-ending. I will take a sprained wrist over a broken bone like Losman suffered in the pre-season a few years ago. I don't think that Losman's knee injury last year was any more of a fluke than Edward's wrist even if the hit on Losman looked intentional. That kind of stuff happens, intentional or not. In today's NFL it is expected that the starting QB will probably go down for some period of time during the year. It was his only real serious injury that Trent had during the year. If he gets hit less this year with a quick release scheme, then so much the better.

The Answer
05-24-2008, 07:17 PM
No just smart enough to look at a video without a woody.....and an objective mind.

So we shouldn't be optimistic that we finally have a young QB that's not going to single handedly lose games and be a threat to turn the ball over every time he takes an offensive snap?

~The Answer

The Answer
05-24-2008, 07:24 PM
JP is a loser....got it. Do you really have to repeat this kind of thing in every thread?

Put the JP voodoo doll away and stay on topic.

There is a good chance he improves on last year.
1. No fairchild.
2. J.Hardy legit #2WR
3. We will be using the TE's more.
4. Line had one year of gelling.
5. Easier schedule
6. QB 2nd year in system.
7. qb's muscley new arms will improve his arm stregth.
8. When you are last in the NFL statisticaly in the catigories
most keep track of there is a good chance you direction will be up.

Is that going to be good enough for playoffs?

The "Answer" says we have P Manning after seeing this video.....

I will wait until he proves somthing more.....for this fan.

But he is in a good situation over all.

1) As of today there's no guarantee that Schonert will be any different than Mularkey or Fairchild. Good qb's overcome bad coaching anyway as Trent proved last year with 5 wins as a rookie, compared to 2 wins by Losman who was a 4 year veteran.
2) Hardy has not taken a snap in this league, so it's hard to say he's a legit #2 receiver, especially considering his recent brush with the law. Also Losman had Moulds, Evans and McGahee and still sucked.
3) Maybe, but again we have garbage at the TE position so it really don't matter.
4) Oline is marginally better, but JP was a mobile QB that was supposed to make plays behind a mediocre line.
5) Based on what? No schedule is easy until you play the games. Teams that you think will suck will end up surprising and teams that you think will be good won't live up to expectations. How many teams do you think are estatic right now because they have the Bills on the schedule in 2008 and are marking it down as an easy win?
6) In 2005 JP was entering his 2nd year in Mularkey's systems. In 2007 he was in his 2nd year with Fairchild - again what's your point?
7) But I thought JP has a cannon for an arm too?
8) Our offenses have sucked this entire decade with the exception of Bledsoe's record year in 2002. Losman had his chance to make his mark and did nothing and now it's Trent's turn.

Also I never said that Trent is the next Manning - but he is a very intelligent QB when it comes to the x's and o's and you don't feel embarrassed during his interviews like you did when Losman's incoherent babble left you feeling less than confident in his ability to lead a team.

In fact I don't want Trent to be the next Manning or Brady, I want him to be the first Trent Edwards and make his own legacy as a elite NFL QB.

~The Answer

~The Answer

The Answer
05-24-2008, 07:29 PM
The downside to this could be more picks with DB's jumping routes...

Every thing on paper looks good....we will see when the game is played.

I am so looking forward to the non fairchild offense...anything besides watching paint dry have to be more interesting.

It don't matter who your offensive coordinator is when you have a QB that is incapble of reading an NFL defense and understanding a deep NFL playbook.

You could put Losman in Indy or NE and he would still lose games.

~The Answer

The Answer
05-24-2008, 07:31 PM

I can't deny Trent has to stay healthy to be successful with this team and as an NFL QB - but that is true for any player at any position in the NFL.

Let's see what happens in 2008.

~The Answer

The Answer
05-24-2008, 07:33 PM
so lets get this str8 u see drastic improvement in edwards running the O with no defenders on field with 0 pass rush in the bills field house.

thats great lol i love the logic here

Yes because looking what he did as a rookie when he stepped into a starting QB job only 4 weeks into his NFL career, and considering that he learned a lot over the course of the 2007 season especially towards the end, and now he has had a full offseason as an NFL player - I expect him to do progress and improve significantly based on his talent and intelligence.

~The Answer

acehole
05-25-2008, 08:58 AM

Yes and he got injured.

acehole
05-25-2008, 09:07 AM
It don't matter who your offensive coordinator is when you have a QB that is incapble of reading an NFL defense and understanding a deep NFL playbook.

You could put Losman in Indy or NE and he would still lose games.

~The Answer

My or this thread is not about JP.
Those are not facts you are spouting just words.

My post was about a quick release bieng some kind of panacea. It isnt in and of itself...nither is the short passing game. It has to be a creative mix that is unpredictable. Trent himself said he was winging it by his own admission.... said he did not know where his WR were going to be. So before you make statments about one you should know that is is the other that admitted as such.

acehole
05-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Yes because looking what he did as a rookie when he stepped into a starting QB job only 4 weeks into his NFL career, and considering that he learned a lot over the course of the 2007 season especially towards the end, and now he has had a full offseason as an NFL player - I expect him to do progress and improve significantly based on his talent and intelligence.

~The Answer

What did he do?

He did squat as a rookie.

Worst in the NFL.

He has much to prove to me.

HHURRICANE
05-25-2008, 09:25 AM
What did he do?

He did squat as a rookie.

Worst in the NFL.

He has much to prove to me.

Do you realize that you lovefest fro JP warps your sense of reality?

Most analysts like what they saw from Edwards and they aren't posters on this site.

The guy was supposed to be on the bench all year. He came in, poised, and one some games for us. I won't complain about his rookie campaign.

shelby
05-25-2008, 10:10 AM
i think i speak for many when i say that the Losman/Edwards bickering has become old.

Let's see what TE can do this season. JP is a decent backup.

acehole
05-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Do you realize that you lovefest fro JP warps your sense of reality?

Most analysts like what they saw from Edwards and they aren't posters on this site.

The guy was supposed to be on the bench all year. He came in, poised, and one some games for us. I won't complain about his rookie campaign.

Read his post. It makes it sound like he took us to the big game.
He is promising yes......Won games...debatable? Lost games for us too.....
but the Manning/Elway comparisons have to
be called out.

He has proven "0" in this league.

Forget JP he is the back up.
You guys bring him up.

acehole
05-25-2008, 10:20 AM
So we shouldn't be optimistic that we finally have a young QB that's not going to single handedly lose games and be a threat to turn the ball over every time he takes an offensive snap?

~The Answer

You can dream up whatever you like.....

Cowboys game possible refering to?

justasportsfan
05-25-2008, 10:35 AM
If he gets hit less this year with a quick release scheme, then so much the better.
I agree. But those sack stats should be attributed to Trents style of play which is the WCO. THose sack nos should be attributed based on the way both qb's were trained ( JP-Fairchild, Trent-WCO) and not their abilty to read or make decisions. It's commn knowledge that JP ran the ball under MUlarkey when he could. Under Fairchild, he was made to stay in the pocket and finish the play. The stats are there to prove it.

Trents training in the WCO was to get rid of the ball quick. It made our OL look better and it made Fairchilds system look bad because we didn't have the right personel for it.

Going with Trent and his WCO blend made Fairchild look bad. Not JP because JP was just running what Fairchild trained him to do. THis is why I think they are keeping JP. IMO THey could thinking , what if we train JP to get rid of the ball quick to go along with his cannon arm? Thats what Dick and Turk have been saying pretty much in their interviews when talking about the 3 step drop and including JP in that plan.

YOu also have to consider how this OL was still trying to find chemistry in the early part of the season. Even Royals admitted that. Add that and Fairchilds system, the sack nos. will favor Trent.

Heres a breakdown of both qbs strength

JP- proven deep ball
Trent -proven shortgame , ball management.

I think coaches want to keep both qb's. Train JP to play short, train Trent to go deep and see what we got. They both have added weapons now. Lets see who does better now.

HHURRICANE
05-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree. But those sack stats should be attributed to Trents style of play which is the WCO. THose sack nos should be attributed based on the way both qb's were trained ( JP-Fairchild, Trent-WCO) and not their abilty to read or make decisions. It's commn knowledge that JP ran the ball under MUlarkey when he could. Under Fairchild, he was made to stay in the pocket and finish the play. The stats are there to prove it.

Trents training in the WCO was to get rid of the ball quick. It made our OL look better and it made Fairchilds system look bad because we didn't have the right personel for it.

Going with Trent and his WCO blend made Fairchild look bad. Not JP because JP was just running what Fairchild trained him to do. THis is why I think they are keeping JP. IMO THey could thinking , what if we train JP to get rid of the ball quick to go along with his cannon arm? Thats what Dick and Turk have been saying pretty much in their interviews when talking about the 3 step drop and including JP in that plan.

YOu also have to consider how this OL was still trying to find chemistry in the early part of the season. Even Royals admitted that. Add that and Fairchilds system, the sack nos. will favor Trent.

Good post. I have no problem with JP improving and getting better.

Unfortunately, if he steps in due to injury and shines in this new format he gets us nothing next year because he will be no longer under contract. My hope is that Trent plays great and stays healthy. If JP steps in and wins us games I'll be happy as well.

justasportsfan
05-25-2008, 10:50 AM

Unfortunately, if he steps in due to injury and shines in this new format he gets us nothing next year because he will be no longer under contract. My hope is that Trent plays great and stays healthy. If JP steps in and wins us games I'll be happy as well.

Let next season take care of itself. We should concentrate on winning this season. IMO, thats what Dick is thinking about because he has a job to save.

TRUE bills fans should pray that if JP is called to come in, he should play like a probowler. IF not , we're rebuilding again and this team could be broken up by the next HC. This is my argument in keeping JP.

Even if JP decides to leave next year, Dick will still have his job and the team will be intact .

acehole
05-25-2008, 12:37 PM

If he shines it up you can transition tag him.

Which could let us keep him on the cheap or get somthing in return for him.

He would have to play well enough to really have them say "Wow".

He would want to have to be here as the starter.

Really not likely but a way to get something for him.

HHURRICANE
05-25-2008, 04:15 PM
If he shines it up you can transition tag him.

Which could let us keep him on the cheap or get somthing in return for him.

He would have to play well enough to really have them say "Wow".

He would want to have to be here as the starter.

Really not likely but a way to get something for him.

The franchise tag for QBs is basically unusable becuase it's at an amount that makes it penal to use.

djjimkelly
05-25-2008, 06:20 PM
i think i speak for many when i say that the Losman/Edwards bickering has become old.

Let's see what TE can do this season. JP is a decent backup.

sorry cant do it i know which one is better and why because you said so are you always right?

because if you are give me next wednesdays 6/49 numbers

or maybe we should move the kazakastan and live under a communist regime where only one view point is right

acehole
05-25-2008, 06:34 PM
The franchise tag for QBs is basically unusable becuase it's at an amount that makes it penal to use.

Not franchise....trasition. We would get to match any offer...if we dont we get a pick.

Only worth it if he shows somthing this year...that will attract another team.

djjimkelly
05-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Not franchise....trasition. We would get to match any offer...if we dont we get a pick.

Only worth it if he shows somthing this year...that will attract another team.

no pick for transition player only the right to match

Captain gameboy
05-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Actually, I agree that his ball was coming out a little flat.

Hilarious for the second time.

A "flat" ball is, undeniably, a ball with velocity.

A non "flat" ball is a ball with no velocity, and thus, requires "air," as "air" translates to arc.

You can't un-flat it without slowing it down.

Jesus H. You guys are never satisfied.

He throws a bunch of quick five steps, out patterns at that, and you expect him to float it.

Ever wonder why you are not paid for these views?

acehole
05-25-2008, 07:19 PM
no pick for transition player only the right to match

There is a pick if you dont match right?

djjimkelly
05-25-2008, 07:57 PM
There is a pick if you dont match right?

no pick

acehole
05-25-2008, 08:05 PM
no pick

ok thanks....long odds anyway....

djjimkelly
05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Let next season take care of itself. We should concentrate on winning this season. IMO, thats what Dick is thinking about because he has a job to save.

TRUE bills fans should pray that if JP is called to come in, he should play like a probowler. IF not , we're rebuilding again and this team could be broken up by the next HC. This is my argument in keeping JP.

Even if JP decides to leave next year, Dick will still have his job and the team will be intact .

sadly its a lose lose for bills fans if JP suceeds JP will get somewhere else and jauron will stay

HHURRICANE
05-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Hilarious for the second time.

A "flat" ball is, undeniably, a ball with velocity.

A non "flat" ball is a ball with no velocity, and thus, requires "air," as "air" translates to arc.

You can't un-flat it without slowing it down.

Jesus H. You guys are never satisfied.

He throws a bunch of quick five steps, out patterns at that, and you expect him to float it.

Ever wonder why you are not paid for these views?

To be honest, I wasn't checking out his terminal velocity or the kinetics of the throw.

I think Trent will be fine but it's what I saw. Just like I saw JP struggle in pre-season and it concerned me.

No QB get's a free pass anymore.

justasportsfan
05-26-2008, 11:12 AM
sadly its a lose lose for bills fans if JP suceeds JP will get somewhere else and jauron will stay
I'll take that risk as long as we have a great season. I'm tired of not making playoffs. I'm tired of constant rebuilding.

blackonyx89
05-27-2008, 10:37 AM
who cares if he understands the offense better and is able to make better reads? I want to see him throw the ball 80 yards into a 130 mph head wind!

[/sarcasm]

In a blinding snowstorm!! :bandwagon

:rrich:

acehole
05-27-2008, 09:46 PM
In a blinding snowstorm!! :bandwagon

:rrich:

Or swirling winds at the Meadowlands...