Offseason Moves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offseason Moves?

With the season almost over, maybe it is time to start consider our offseason moves.

Looking at the forwards we appear to be particularly deep, able to assemble four decent lines and then some.

On defence however, we have an unrestricted free agent in Kalinin plus a likely retirement in Numminen. While Sekera and Weber did well when stepping up we certainly lack depth here, and could struggle to put together 3 pairs of defencemen.

Between the pipes, Thibault has been a disappointment whilst there will always be concerns about Ehroth's size.

There are a number of interesting Unrestricted Free Agents, and some top Restricted Free Agents but I can't see Golisano putting together a huge deal for someone like Bouwmeester. However we could undertake a couple of interesting trades.

On the right wing we have Pominville, Stafford, Bernier who we need to resign and Kaleta to be a nusiance on the 4th line. This leaves the off injured Afingonev, and possibly Ales Kotalik. In the center, we've got Roy and Hecht with Paille and MacArthur able to fill in and Gaustad available. Again we have an injury prone Tim Connolly as well. We are less deep on the left but can still call on Vanek, Paille, MacArthur with Mr Nasty Peters as well.

Both Vancouver and Nashville are deep in defence and looking for forwards. They also have a number of RFA Defensemen who could be worthy of trading for. At the Predators, Shea Weber, Ryan Suter and Kevin Klein are all RFA and it may not be possible for Nashville to resign them all.

At the Canucks, they are looking for scoring help and have defensive depth with Bourdon, Bieksa and maybe even Krajicek available.

Either way, we shore up our defense, maximise the value of our excess of forwards.

In the Net, if the Predators resign Dan Ellis, then they have to send Pekka Rinne back to the minors but he would need to clear waivers. A cheeky bid might acquire a decent backup here.

Considering the draft, I think we will go forwards with both R1 selections as virtually all mocks have these guys here, and we went defense last year.

So, bye bye to Afingonev and Kotalik, and hello to Klein and Krajicek.

Thoughts?
  • RockStar36
    Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
    • Sep 2004

Re: Offseason Moves?

I'd like at least one experienced d-man, if not two, maybe one forward, a back-up goalie, and trade Max. If they traded Kotalik I wouldn't be sad but I'm not looking for it to happen.

D & S Sports

Comment

• LABillsFan
      • Aug 2002

I'd like to maximise by being Maxless.
      I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Jan 2004

Returning Forwards
        Derek Roy
        Jason Pominville
        Thomas Vanek
        Tim Connolly
        Jochen Hecht
        Ales Kotalik
        Drew Stafford
        Maxim Afinogenov
        Adam Mair
        Patrick Kaleta
        Andrew Peters

Free Agent Forwards
        Dan Paille RFA
        Steve Bernier RFA
        Paul Gaustad RFA
        Clarke MacArthur RFA
        Michael Ryan UFA

Returning Defencemen
        Jaroslav Spacek
        Toni Lydman
        Henrik Tallinder
        Mike Weber
        Andrej Sekera
        Nathan Paetsch

Free Agent Defencemen
        Dmitri Kalinin UFA
        Nolan Pratt UFA
        Teppo Numminen UFA

Returning Goaltender
        Ryan Miller

Free Agent Goaltender
        Jocelyn Thibault

Comment

We need to resign all our RFAs. The UFAs can leave.

We are then left with 15 returning forwards where ideally we require only 12, whilst we have 6 returning defensemen but 2 are inexperienced.

A couple of extra defensemen must be a priority.

With the new we are in talks with the Canucks about Afingoneev then surely we can look at Afingonev and No13 for one of the defensemen (Krajiek, Bourdon or Bieksa) and their No10.

Comment

Working...
          X