• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Answer
    The Plagiarist
    • Mar 2007

Erasmus James released by Vikings

The Vikings on Friday waived Erasmus James, the former first-round draft pick who had a series of knee injuries during his time with Minnesota.

Since we have picked up some other castoffs like Teyo Johnson and Courtney Alexander, I would love to take a look at this guy.

James was highly touted coming out of Wisconsin but unfortunately has been very injury proned after showing a lot of potential as a rookie in 2005. Somebody is going to sign this guy regardless.

~The Answer
  • Scumbag College
    • Oct 2002

Re: Erasmus James released by Vikings

Bring him in!
    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• yordad
      • Dec 2007

He is expected to make a full recovery, but when? Honestly, I don't know much about this guy, but the Viks D is solid. One man's trash is another man's treasure sometimes.

I am not sure, but I think we went into last season, we had 5 DE. We were supposed to have Al Wallace who was hurt in the final preseason game, who would have been 6, I believe. Neill was the fifth (?). Schneck, Pennington, Shaud Williams, and Nall were among other notable late cuts, with the first two or three (respectively) getting cut after the final preseason game.

If Wallace stayed healthy, would we have kept Schneck? And, don't forget Hargrove was suspended for the first four games. I think Neill would have been cut, and Schneck would have stayed if Wallace didn't get injured.

I think a 6th guy would have to be kept to bring him in. I doubt they will cut their third rounder, then we got the other three, and I doubt we just create a long snapper.

He will likely have better options.
      Last edited by yordad; 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM.
      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• jmb1099
        • Sep 2004

someone else released him we should sign him right now! Now!!! NOW!!!!

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

He was a first rounder right?
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• hydro
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by MBBedard
            Yep, 18th pick in 05 I believe.
            BERNIAC!

Comment

• W1DER1GHT
              Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills
              • Mar 2007

Bring him in for camp and see what happens.
              "Tyler Wilson is a glorified cross between JP Losman and Ryan Fitzpatrick." W1DER1GHT 3/16/13
              ^Well, I may have given Wilson too much credit^

Comment

• The Answer
                The Plagiarist
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MBBedard
                I had him ranked as a top 10 pick on my board. I'm normally not the type that would say 'lets sign him' to every average or no name player that is released from another team, but I feel this could be shrewd move.

If you look at his numbers as a rookie, they were pretty solid. But unfortunately he has never had a chance to develop since he was injured for just about the entire 2006 and 2007 seasons.

If we could get him at a decent price I'd bring him in to compete for the 3rd DE spot. You never know - he could stay healthy and become a force. He played with Lee Evans at Wisconsin so he would probably endorse him as well.

~The Answer

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Aug 2004

It would all really depend on his injury status and prospects for recovery. And, even then, as much as I like James, I'm not sure that he would be someone that they would be looking to sign at this point.

The Vikings waited a long time on James and K.Udeze to come back from their health problems before cutting ties with James. Part of the reason that they decided to let him go could be the money that was part of his rookie contract and the fact that they gave so much to J.Allen. Or, it could be because the prospects for a full recovery by James are not that good.

I would want the Bills' MDs to give him a close look to determine what his prognosis is before signing him to anything.

That having been said, I really--I mean really--liked James coming out of college. And, he seemed to be developing nicely before the injuries got to him.

If he can get healthy enough to play and make it through a whole season, he could be a nice pick-up, especially with Schobel and Denney starting to get some age on them (and isn't Denney's contract up after this season?). The problem is that the Bills already have 5 DEs who are likely to make the roster: Schobel, Kelsay, Denney, Ellis and Neill. They have also been developing Corey Mace more as a DE than a DT and still have Copeland Bryant.

Mace still has some PS eligibility. I'm not sure if Bryant does. They're not going to put Ellis on the PS because they would lose him. And, with Neill being their long-snapper they are not likely to replace him or leave him off the roster. I can't see them spending the money to sign James and put him on IR or the PUP list for most or all of this year (to have him as a replacement for Denney next season). So, the only way that I see them making any kind of move for James would be if one of their DEs gets hurt before he signs elsewhere--and I'd rather not see any of their DEs get hurt because we really don't know what James has to offer now that he has had all of these injuries.
                  Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

i am always for bringing in a guy who has the talent that this guy has. sometimes they just end up being busts and other times, the change of scenery makes a huge difference. what do we have to lose? i mean we have tons of money.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

"9. I remember Dick Jauron saying last year that Ryan Neill made the team based on his long-snapping abilities, and not because our depth was shallow at the time at DE. However, it was painfully clear that Neill's poor snaps on punts had huge effects on two of our most crucial games last season (against the Browns and the Giants). Do you know if the staff is looking to upgrade the long-snapper position, or at least bring in competition for Neill during training camp?
                      Thanks,
                      Mike
                      CB: The team made a commitment to invest in Ryan Neill as a long snapper last season. I think they made that decision knowing last year he still wasn't the best that they believe he will be as a long snapper in this league. In Neill's defense his two poor snaps were in the worst of weather conditions possible, a blizzard with howling winds and a snow-covered field (Cleveland) and driving rain/snow and gale force winds (Giants). As for competition the team doesn't look like they'll be adding anyone to the mix. Right now Duke Preston is the backup snapper with practice squad fullback Jonathan Evans also taking a crack at it. At this point there is no one on the roster superior to Neill in my opinion."

"Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Id like to bring James in if possible. I think he provides electric ability off the edge when completely healthy and can cause big time havoc and would be a huge updgrade over Kelsay.

As a rookie he had 4 sacks, 2 PD, and 28 tackles. He's only 25 and is expected to make a full recovery. The question of how long though is a legit one...
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                          • Jul 2002

Not going to happen, he has been traded to the Redskins.

On Friday, the Minnesota Vikings informed Erasmus James that they planned to release him. James was an injured defensive end without a home. Now, he's a member of the Washington Redskins.
                          You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• The Answer
                            The Plagiarist
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                            Id like to bring James in if possible. I think he provides electric ability off the edge when completely healthy and can cause big time havoc and would be a huge updgrade over Kelsay.

As a rookie he had 4 sacks, 2 PD, and 28 tackles. He's only 25 and is expected to make a full recovery. The question of how long though is a legit one...
                            Exactly.

He was cut because of the numbers game. Obviously the Vikes just picked up another all pro stud from KC (Jared Allen), and they were already one of the deepest teams in the league on dline - even with losing Spencer Johnson to us in the offseason.

If James can stay healthy he may be a steal for whoever picks him up.

~The Answer

Comment

• The Answer
                              The Plagiarist
                              • Mar 2007

Bummer - turns out that James wasn't released after all. He was traded to the Redksins for a conditional 7th round pick. I would have given up a 7th rounder anyday for this guy...

On Friday, the Minnesota Vikings informed Erasmus James that they planned to release him. James was an injured defensive end without a home. Now, he's a member of the Washington Redskins.

~The Answer

Comment

Working...
                              X