X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

CBs thoughts on RB depth.

"7. There is one question that has been on my mind this whole off season, in which I haven't heard anything about, and that is Fred Jackson. We all know he had an unexpected breakout year last year and showed that he can be very helpful as a back up to Marshawn, especially receiving out of the backfield. I think that he showed that he could be another weapon the bills could use, and he opened up more options. What I don't understand is why the Bills drafted another RB in the draft, and why nothing has been said about Fred this offseason. Do you think that he will still be #2 behind Marshawn, and will the bills continue to use him in there game plan?

Dustin, Crawfordsville, IN.
    CB: I don't think you have to worry at all about Fred Jackson's status on this team. The offensive staff recognizes him as a reliable asset for their attack. He proved it last year. He's currently getting reps with the first team in the OTA setting behind Marshawn Lynch. I think there may even be some occasions where they're lined up in the backfield together this year, which would give opposing defenses fits. I think his role will be bigger than it was last year and he will be used a lot coming out of the backfield on swing passes and such. If anyone needs to worry about Xavier Omon it's probably Dwayne Wright. That's who Omon will push this summer."

Thoughts?
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad
  • John Doe
    Florida Man
    • Jul 2002

Re: CBs thoughts on RB depth.

Originally posted by yordad
    Thoughts?
    I think that the Bills have a lot of confidence in Jackson as a #2. When they drove down to scoring position in the game against the Browns, on the last critical 4th down play they put the ball in his hands. He did not score because the play was well defensed, but it shows how the coaches feel about hime - the season was on the line.

A lot of fans are down on Wright, but I think that the team will keep 4 running backs and he will be one of them as will Omon. It will be interesting to see how good of a blocker Omon can be in passing situations picking up the blitz. Wright looked fairly good at that last year - maybe the best of the running backs at that chore.

Comment

• LABillsFan
      • Aug 2002

Then there's Viti. Last year Marshawn got nicked up and Jackson was solid, but after that there was a definte decline in talent. With Viti thrown into the mix there will be depth and a blocking back to help out. The Bills are looking to improve at that position. You never know if another team is going to need a RB either. The Bills did something like this when they had a few RB's and traded one to Detroit (can't remember his name though)
      I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• LABillsFan
        • Aug 2002

Shawn Bryson

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

It was Gary.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• LABillsFan
            • Aug 2002

Where did Bryson go?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Omon and Wright are similar runners. Whether both make team depends on whether the Bills keep 4 RBs.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• yordad
                • Dec 2007

They went in w four last year, but the TEs were nearly interchangeable. Anyone care to list the TE/H-backs we started last season having on the 53 man roster. I will try and start it..

Royal
                Neufeld
                Everett
                Schouman- Was he on the PS at first?
                Murphy- I think he started on the PS?

I really cannot remember thoroughly, some help please.

Basically, I am trying to figure how many RBs, H-backs, and TEs we kept last year going into the season, in effort to try and project this year. RBs are easy. Wright, Jackson, Lynch and A-train. But, those TEs were seemingly coming and going.
                "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

We brought in Gaines at some point.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• John Doe
                    Florida Man
                    • Jul 2002

They went in w four last year, but the TEs were nearly interchangeable. Anyone care to list the TE/H-backs we started last season having on the 53 man roster. I will try and start it..

Royal
                    Neufeld
                    Everett
                    Schouman- Was he on the PS at first?
                    Murphy- I think he started on the PS?

I really cannot remember thoroughly, some help please.

Basically, I am trying to figure how many RBs, H-backs, and TEs we kept last year going into the season, in effort to try and project this year. RBs are easy. Wright, Jackson, Lynch and A-train. But, those TEs were seemingly coming and going.
                    Schouman was on the practice squad at the start of last season and was signed to the active roster after week 5. http://www.buffalobills.com/team/pla...ayer_id=122760

I think the original 4 on the roster were Royal, Neufeld, Everett, and Murphy.

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      We brought in Gaines at some point.
                      Yeah, but he replaced someone. I was more interested in the positional numbers going into the season.

Sounds like we had 8 RBs, TEs, FB/ H-backs in all. That is a tough squeeze if we are going to fb this year.

1) Lynch
                      2) Jackson
                      3) Royal
                      4) Fine

Of the following guys, we probably need 4.....

5) Viti, Evans, Barnes
                      6) Teyo, Anderson, Schouman
                      7) Omon, Wright

There is even a couple other guys who could sneak in instead of these dudes.

I think it could happen, but if we keep two at either 5 or 6 then Wright or Omon will probably have to go. If it is close, they may try to get cute, cut Omon on the last day, and try to sneak him onto the practice squad. But, I am convinced he will tear it up in preseaon, so I doubt it will work.

Comment

• John Doe
                        Florida Man
                        • Jul 2002

Yeah, but he replaced someone. I was more interested in the positional numbers going into the season.

Sounds like we had 8 RBs, TEs, FB/ H-backs in all. That is a tough squeeze if we are going to fb this year.

1) Lynch
                        2) Jackson
                        3) Royal
                        4) Fine

Of the following guys, we probably need 4.....

5) Viti, Evans, Barnes
                        6) Teyo, Anderson, Schouman
                        7) Omon, Wright

I think it could happen, but if we keep two at either 5 or 6 then Wright or Omon will probably have to go. If it is close, they may try to get cute, cut Omon on the last day, and try to sneak him onto the practice squad. But, I am convinced he will tear it up in preseaon, so I doubt it will work.
                        At the beginning of last year I believe that the team was also carrying Josh Scobey on the 53-man roster. Scobey was technically a running back but really a special teams guy.

Comment

• B-DON
                          hi
                          • Mar 2004

I know I will get ripped for this, but i think Jackson has more big play potential than Lynch. Seems to have a knack or big plays. Don't get me wrong, I love the beast and want him to start. I just think Jackson has more big play potential.

Comment

• yordad
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by John Doe
                            At the beginning of last year I believe that the team was also carrying Josh Scobey on the 53-man roster. Scobey was technically a running back but really a special teams guy.
                            Oh no, you are right. That helps Omon's, and Wright's chances, IMO.

Comment

• John Doe
                              Florida Man
                              • Jul 2002

Oh no, you are right. That helps Omon's, and Wright's chances, IMO.
                              That's what I have been thinking.

They could actually go with one less running back than last season and still have room for Omon and Wright.

Comment

Working...
                              X