PDA

View Full Version : CBs thoughts on RB depth.

yordad
05-24-2008, 01:19 PM
"7. There is one question that has been on my mind this whole off season, in which I haven't heard anything about, and that is Fred Jackson. We all know he had an unexpected breakout year last year and showed that he can be very helpful as a back up to Marshawn, especially receiving out of the backfield. I think that he showed that he could be another weapon the bills could use, and he opened up more options. What I don't understand is why the Bills drafted another RB in the draft, and why nothing has been said about Fred this offseason. Do you think that he will still be #2 behind Marshawn, and will the bills continue to use him in there game plan?

Dustin, Crawfordsville, IN.
CB: I don't think you have to worry at all about Fred Jackson's status on this team. The offensive staff recognizes him as a reliable asset for their attack. He proved it last year. He's currently getting reps with the first team in the OTA setting behind Marshawn Lynch. I think there may even be some occasions where they're lined up in the backfield together this year, which would give opposing defenses fits. I think his role will be bigger than it was last year and he will be used a lot coming out of the backfield on swing passes and such. If anyone needs to worry about Xavier Omon it's probably Dwayne Wright. That's who Omon will push this summer."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?NEWS_ID=6099

Thoughts?

John Doe
05-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Thoughts?

I think that the Bills have a lot of confidence in Jackson as a #2. When they drove down to scoring position in the game against the Browns, on the last critical 4th down play they put the ball in his hands. He did not score because the play was well defensed, but it shows how the coaches feel about hime - the season was on the line.

A lot of fans are down on Wright, but I think that the team will keep 4 running backs and he will be one of them as will Omon. It will be interesting to see how good of a blocker Omon can be in passing situations picking up the blitz. Wright looked fairly good at that last year - maybe the best of the running backs at that chore.

LABillsFan
05-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Then there's Viti. Last year Marshawn got nicked up and Jackson was solid, but after that there was a definte decline in talent. With Viti thrown into the mix there will be depth and a blocking back to help out. The Bills are looking to improve at that position. You never know if another team is going to need a RB either. The Bills did something like this when they had a few RB's and traded one to Detroit (can't remember his name though)

LABillsFan
05-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Shawn Bryson

casdhf
05-24-2008, 03:05 PM
It was Gary.

LABillsFan
05-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Where did Bryson go?

Jan Reimers
05-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Omon and Wright are similar runners. Whether both make team depends on whether the Bills keep 4 RBs.

yordad
05-24-2008, 04:29 PM
They went in w four last year, but the TEs were nearly interchangeable. Anyone care to list the TE/H-backs we started last season having on the 53 man roster. I will try and start it..

Royal
Neufeld
Everett
Schouman- Was he on the PS at first?
Murphy- I think he started on the PS?

I really cannot remember thoroughly, some help please.

Basically, I am trying to figure how many RBs, H-backs, and TEs we kept last year going into the season, in effort to try and project this year. RBs are easy. Wright, Jackson, Lynch and A-train. But, those TEs were seemingly coming and going.

Jan Reimers
05-24-2008, 04:48 PM
We brought in Gaines at some point.

John Doe
05-24-2008, 05:15 PM
They went in w four last year, but the TEs were nearly interchangeable. Anyone care to list the TE/H-backs we started last season having on the 53 man roster. I will try and start it..

Royal
Neufeld
Everett
Schouman- Was he on the PS at first?
Murphy- I think he started on the PS?

I really cannot remember thoroughly, some help please.

Basically, I am trying to figure how many RBs, H-backs, and TEs we kept last year going into the season, in effort to try and project this year. RBs are easy. Wright, Jackson, Lynch and A-train. But, those TEs were seemingly coming and going.

Schouman was on the practice squad at the start of last season and was signed to the active roster after week 5. http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122760

I think the original 4 on the roster were Royal, Neufeld, Everett, and Murphy.

yordad
05-24-2008, 05:36 PM
We brought in Gaines at some point.Yeah, but he replaced someone. I was more interested in the positional numbers going into the season.

Sounds like we had 8 RBs, TEs, FB/ H-backs in all. That is a tough squeeze if we are going to fb this year.

1) Lynch
2) Jackson
3) Royal
4) Fine

Of the following guys, we probably need 4.....

5) Viti, Evans, Barnes
6) Teyo, Anderson, Schouman
7) Omon, Wright

There is even a couple other guys who could sneak in instead of these dudes.

I think it could happen, but if we keep two at either 5 or 6 then Wright or Omon will probably have to go. If it is close, they may try to get cute, cut Omon on the last day, and try to sneak him onto the practice squad. But, I am convinced he will tear it up in preseaon, so I doubt it will work.

John Doe
05-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, but he replaced someone. I was more interested in the positional numbers going into the season.

Sounds like we had 8 RBs, TEs, FB/ H-backs in all. That is a tough squeeze if we are going to fb this year.

1) Lynch
2) Jackson
3) Royal
4) Fine

5) Viti, Evans, Barnes
7) Omon, Wright

I think it could happen, but if we keep two at either 5 or 6 then Wright or Omon will probably have to go. If it is close, they may try to get cute, cut Omon on the last day, and try to sneak him onto the practice squad. But, I am convinced he will tear it up in preseaon, so I doubt it will work.

At the beginning of last year I believe that the team was also carrying Josh Scobey on the 53-man roster. Scobey was technically a running back but really a special teams guy.

B-DON
05-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I know I will get ripped for this, but i think Jackson has more big play potential than Lynch. Seems to have a knack or big plays. Don't get me wrong, I love the beast and want him to start. I just think Jackson has more big play potential.

yordad
05-24-2008, 05:44 PM
At the beginning of last year I believe that the team was also carrying Josh Scobey on the 53-man roster. Scobey was technically a running back but really a special teams guy.Oh no, you are right. That helps Omon's, and Wright's chances, IMO.

John Doe
05-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Oh no, you are right. That helps Omon's, and Wright's chances, IMO.

That's what I have been thinking.

They could actually go with one less running back than last season and still have room for Omon and Wright.

yordad
05-24-2008, 05:55 PM
That's what I have been thinking.

They could actually go with one less running back than last season and still have room for Omon and Wright.Alittle off topic, but I think Al Wallace the DE getting injured helped Scobey make the team. It prompted us to keep Neill, cut Schneck, and give us that last STs position.

John Doe
05-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Alittle off topic, but I think Al Wallace the DE getting injured helped Scobey make the team. It prompted us to keep Neill, cut Schneck, and give us that last STs position.

My take on that from last year was that Scobey was a lock to make the team because there was no real back-up to McGee as a kickoff returner. They tried a bunch of players including Parrish, but Scobey was the best of the lot - it was one of his strengths as a special teams guy and one of the major reasons that they brought him in.

If you look at the Game Book for the first game of the season, Scobey, Wright, and Thomas were game-day active and Jackson was not, indicating that Scobey's special teams play was more important than Jackson's role as a back-up runner at that time. Wright was actually ahead of him then too, probably based on special teams as well. I don't think Jackson has much to offer there.

Now, its a different story as far as how the team views Jackson. I think the battle for 3rd or 4th running back between Omon and Wright may actually be a test to see who the better special teams player and pass blocker is. Again, I think that they both make the team.

yordad
05-24-2008, 06:28 PM
My take on that from last year was that Scobey was a lock to make the team because there was no real back-up to McGee as a kickoff returner. They tried a bunch of players including Parrish, but Scobey was the best of the lot - it was one of his strengths as a special teams guy and one of the major reasons that they brought him in.

If you look at the Game Book for the first game of the season, Scobey, Wright, and Thomas were game-day active and Jackson was not, indicating that Scobey's special teams play was more important than Jackson's role as a back-up runner at that time. Wright was actually ahead of him then too, probably based on special teams as well. I don't think Jackson has much to offer there.

Now, its a different story as far as how the team views Jackson. I think the battle for 3rd or 4th running back between Omon and Wright may actually be a test to see who the better special teams player and pass blocker is. Again, I think that they both make the team.I'm convinced.

yordad
05-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Now, does anyone have thoughts on Jackson and Lynch in the backfield at once?

TigerJ
05-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Where did Bryson go?I thought he ended up with Detroit after leaving Buffalo.

I thought what Chris Brown thinks, that Omon is competition for Wright at the third RB spot. I don't think the Bills will carry 4 RBs.

realdealryan
05-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Dustin, Crawfordsville, IN.

Thoughts?

Nice try, Chris Brown. I'm pretty sure you're writing questions to yourself now, because I basically know every Bills fan in central Indiana, and there is no "Dustin". Good misdirection. Now back to Peters, without whom none of this will matter.

shelby
05-25-2008, 07:58 AM
:drool: That would be freakin' sweet!

coastal
05-25-2008, 10:11 AM
I never understood why we let Sammy Morris get away... and to the Fins at that.

More than solid depth running back.

YardRat
05-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah, but he replaced someone. I was more interested in the positional numbers going into the season.

1) Lynch
2) Jackson
3) Royal
4) Fine

5) Viti, Evans, Barnes
7) Omon, Wright

There is even a couple other guys who could sneak in instead of these dudes.

I think we keep five to start the season...

Evans or Barnes (Viti is PS or cut)

Teyo or Anderson plus Schouman (Schouman's ability to also be back-up fullback helps him here, and depending on Fine's progress the one we keep between Teyo and Anderson may end up being a mid-season cut)

Omon and Wright both stick, but the latter needs to prove before the three-quarter mark that he's worth keeping around for next year.

YardRat
05-25-2008, 11:03 AM

They were running plays with both on the field right from Day 1 of the OTA's, so we should expect to see it. Gives a great dimension to the offense to be more flexible, but it depends on Edwards making the right defensive read, making the right play call, and creating the right mis-match.

Oaf
05-25-2008, 12:00 PM
I do dual back formations with Jackson/Lynch all the time in Madden and it's excellent. Although we did say the same thing about McGahee/Henry. I say Wright is a surprise cut, or maybe we deal him in the preseason for a 6th to some injury-riddled team.

Night Train
05-26-2008, 08:58 AM
The next block Jackson makes will be his first.

That's why we drafted another RB and don't see him as an everydown RB, if Lynch gets hurt. He's situational.

yordad
05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
The next block Jackson makes will be his first.

That's why we drafted another RB and don't see him as an everydown RB, if Lynch gets hurt. He's situational.To be honest, I haven't noticed him make a block, but he did alright with his 151 yards in his only start...

<table class="w655px" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="whiteback"><td>12/02 </td> <td> http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/video.gif (http://www.nfl.com/videos?categoryId=highlights&gameId=2007120209&week=13&seasonFilter=2007&seasonType=REG) @ WAS (http://www.nfl.com/teams/profile?team=WAS) </td> <td> W 17-16 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29381&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&seasonType=REG&week=13) </td> <td>1</td> <td>1</td> <td>16</td> <td>82</td> <td>5.1</td> <td>22</td> <td>0</td> <td>4</td> <td>69</td> <td>17.3</td> <td>54</td> <td>0</td></tr></tbody></table>
For the record, I will provide my prediction....
<table class="tborder" id="post385574" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="thead">http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 11-29-2007, 05:09 PM <!-- / status icon and date -->
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="padding: 0px;"> <!-- user info --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="6" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td nowrap="nowrap"> yordad (http://boards.buffalobills.com/member.php?u=32770) http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_385574", true); </script>
Banned
</td> <td width="100%"> </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="top"> Join Date: Sep 2006

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- / user info --> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1" id="td_post_385574"> <!-- message, attachments, sig --> <!-- icon and title --> http://boards.buffalobills.com/images/icons/icon1.gif
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> 78 rushing, 55 receiving. 133 total. The receiving IMO, could be higher than anyone would guess. TE likes to check down, and Jackson is a very good check down target.
</td></tr></tbody></table>