• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Buffalo gets af2 franchise

Buffalo has been awarded an arenafootball2 franchise by the Arena Football League, and will begin play in 2009 if a lease agreement with HSBC Arena can be reached.

Rochester businessman Bob Bartosiewicz will be the majority owner while former Buffalo Bills running back Thurman Thomas and possibly former Bills quarterback Jim Kelly will serve as minority owners. Negotiations with HSBC Arena have not started, said Thomas’ business partner and brother-in-law John Mariacher.

“We haven’t even entered into talks with HSBC, but Thurman is a minority owner and Bob is calling all the shots,” said Mariacher on Saturday. “If they can get that ironed out, they’re going to bring a team here.”

Bartosiewicz is the co-owner of the Continental Indoor Football League’s Rochester Raiders. The Raiders are currently on a 22-game winning streak and are the defending CIFL champions.

“Before we even considered this, we looked hard into Bob’s business,” Mariacher said. “He’s an outstanding businessman, a good guy and an outstanding football guy.”

Indoor football was last in Buffalo in 2003 before the Buffalo Destroyers moved to Columbus, Ohio, ending the franchise’s five-year run in Western New York.

Then owner Mark Hamister, who lost more than $5 million on the club over the last two seasons, said at the time that it wasn’t economically viable for the franchise to remain here.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Buffalo gets af2 franchise

I'm glad that charlatan Hamister isn't involved. He'd turn and run at the first sign of trouble, as he did with the Destroyers, and his half-assed attempt to buy the Sabres.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Yeah, we'll lose a pro-team to get a roller derby team.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
        Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by YardRat
        http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/354801.html

Buffalo has been awarded an arenafootball2 franchise by the Arena Football League, and will begin play in 2009 if a lease agreement with HSBC Arena can be reached.

Rochester businessman Bob Bartosiewicz will be the majority owner while former Buffalo Bills running back Thurman Thomas and possibly former Bills quarterback Jim Kelly will serve as minority owners. Negotiations with HSBC Arena have not started, said Thomas’ business partner and brother-in-law John Mariacher.

“We haven’t even entered into talks with HSBC, but Thurman is a minority owner and Bob is calling all the shots,” said Mariacher on Saturday. “If they can get that ironed out, they’re going to bring a team here.”

Bartosiewicz is the co-owner of the Continental Indoor Football League’s Rochester Raiders. The Raiders are currently on a 22-game winning streak and are the defending CIFL champions.

“Before we even considered this, we looked hard into Bob’s business,” Mariacher said. “He’s an outstanding businessman, a good guy and an outstanding football guy.”

Indoor football was last in Buffalo in 2003 before the Buffalo Destroyers moved to Columbus, Ohio, ending the franchise’s five-year run in Western New York.

Then owner Mark Hamister, who lost more than $5 million on the club over the last two seasons, said at the time that it wasn’t economically viable for the franchise to remain here.
        I was keeping my mouth shut on this for a while, but this is my boss who bought this team.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jfreeman
          I was keeping my mouth shut on this for a while, but this is my boss who bought this team.
          Great! Hook us up with tickets....Now.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Oaf
            Do you read what you write?
            • Jun 2007

So wait, is AF2 a feeder league for AF1? Geez, AF1 isn't a feeder league in itself.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
              • Apr 2005

I work with Freeman and work for Bob. I will say this about the guy, everything this man has touched turned to gold.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                I'm glad that charlatan Hamister isn't involved. He'd turn and run at the first sign of trouble, as he did with the Destroyers, and his half-assed attempt to buy the Sabres.
                he quit on the Destroyers because he didn't get the Sabres.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Tiburon1724
                  • Sep 2005

af2, great. So we're in the same class as Lexington and Wilkes-Barre, woo! High goals, fellas. At least get another AFL team, not this high school level trash.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Tiburon1724
                    af2, great. So we're in the same class as Lexington and Wilkes-Barre, woo! High goals, fellas. At least get another AFL team, not this high school level trash.
                    Relax man, it cant hurt. Hey it least it gives you something to do during the down time of NFL. Call it trash if you will, but the games are fun. I have season tickets to the Rochester Raiders since I work with a lot of the players and there is some talented players. Maurice Jackson was a Syracuse standout with Mcnabb and played for the Bills for a bit on the PS. Its my first year watchin arena and its starting to grow on me.

Bob has managed to build a powerhouse with Rochester, and I can only imagine the Rochester team will now be moved to Buffalo. Maybe this is just another stepping stone before a real AFL team is in the area. Bob is the kind of guy who will aim to grow. Would you rather have nothing so you can just ***** about hows theres nothing to do in WNY?

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

I say bring the team on...let people pay their buck for their enjoyment.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                        • Mar 2004

Huh AF2 thats not that cool

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

I never watch the Arena games.

They bore me to tears.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• TedMock
                            • Jul 2002

Good. It won't make or break anything for the city. It will cost next to nothing. During the offseason you can go to the arena, pay a few bucks, have a few beers and enjoy a cheap couple of hours. The quality of play is probably somewhere between high school and D3 football, but I actually like watching a HS or D3 game, so for the wopping maybe $15 per seat it's really not a bad deal.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Buffalo fans are so great......as long as it is the Bills or the Sabres and they are winning.

Comment

Working...
                              X