PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Start

lmcshadow
05-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Two years ago we traded up to get McCargo in the first round. It seems as though he has developed into a big bust....I think the franchise know it, hence Spencer is added, and also Stroud is picked up. Its going on McCargo's 3rd year, its time to show and prove or step aside.

McCargo is listed as a backup for now..

Night Train
05-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Welcome to why we have training camp.

theanswer74
05-26-2008, 06:41 PM
We haven't even seen Spencer play, how can we choose?

ublinkwescore
05-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Don't linemen usually get until their third year for their verdicts?

B-DON
05-26-2008, 07:05 PM
D-Lineman might be the hardest position to adjust to from college to pro. Usually takes a few extra years than other positions excluding WR. With that said, this is the year we find out if McCargo is a keeper or another first round dud to add to the collection.

lmcshadow
05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
yes, this will be his 3rd year..

casdhf
05-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I don't think it'll matter who starts. They'll both play alot.

yordad
05-26-2008, 08:51 PM
It is honestly hard for me to know how good Spencer is, but I think McCargo is about to be pretty good. My bet is on McCargo.

more cowbell
05-26-2008, 10:01 PM
they signed spencer johnson because he is a younger better player than larry tripplett.

McCargo has certainly showed flashes of being a dominant defensive tackle in very limited action (examples being great plays in the baltimore and giants game)

dasaybz
05-26-2008, 10:17 PM
There were stretches last year where McCargo was an absolute BEAST.

He's going to be a stud this year. Bet on it.

jamze132
05-27-2008, 02:56 AM
I don't know how anyone can call McCargo a bust after two seasons. He played pretty well last year and I would expect him to improve even more this year.

Also if you ask Mario Williams how why he was so successful at NC State, he will mention McCargo in the middle. Sorry I don't have a link to that but I heard it more than once in his interviews.

Jan Reimers
05-27-2008, 07:56 AM
As a few of us have noticed, McCargo is now injury free and playing pretty damned well. Put him beside someone other than Larry Triplett, Jason Jefferson or Tim Anderson, and he'll be even better.

But Johnson is supposed to be a high effort guy, so I think a rotation of Stroud, McCargo, Johnson and Williams is going to be really good.

Pinkerton Security
05-27-2008, 08:11 AM
to add my two cents in, even though this has already been stated, McCargo is poised for a big year, he absolutely blew up some plays in the backfield last year, which cant really be said for anyone else on the D-line. I'm excited to see how he plays this year.

DraftBoy
05-27-2008, 08:13 AM
I think Johnson starts

BlackMetalNinja
05-27-2008, 08:18 AM
I don't think you can label McCargo as a bust at this point... a reach perhaps, but not a bust. As others mentioned, he's showed some flashes of brilliance, and hopefully if he can stay healthy, he can be a big contributer. Regardless of who starts, I'm sure it's going to be a steady rotation at any rate.

mysticsoto
05-27-2008, 08:22 AM
Two years ago we traded up to get McCargo in the first round. It seems as though he has developed into a big bust....I think the franchise know it, hence Spencer is added, and also Stroud is picked up. Its going on McCargo's 3rd year, its time to show and prove or step aside.

Can you explain more why you think McCargo is a bust? There were many plays last year where he was in the backfield forcing changes of direction and breaking up set plays. It's not his fault Tripplett did nothing and that Schobel and Denney/Kelsay/Hargrove/others didn't do their part...

Tatonka
05-27-2008, 08:38 AM
mccargo. 100% positive.

Mahdi
05-27-2008, 09:06 AM
I think the Bills are looking to have 2 strong pairings that can stuff the run. Stroud is the run stuffer in the first pairing and McCargo is the run stuffer in the second pairing. Now that I think about it its not about starting positions that they relegated McCargo, its about pairings. If they put Stroud and McCargo together you are putting your 2 most powerful players together and weakening the second pairing of Johnson and Williams. They want 2 balanced pairings and since Stroud is obviously the starter that makes Johnson the 3-technique that plays with him. McCargo will be the 3-technique in the second pairing and I heard KW is being groomed as the 1-technique.

bigbub2352
05-27-2008, 09:29 AM
McCargo, was hurt his first year so that doesnt count, 2nd year showed progress and gave glimpses of a potential pentrating NT, him next too Stroud should form a very dominant duo, U cant judge him on last year either cause he was lined up next to pathetic Triplett, and was double teamed all day, Stroud should be able to give the D alot more flexability on how the other DLineman will be used

jamze132
05-27-2008, 09:31 AM
In a roation like we are projecting to have, who really cares who starts? I understand the players like to have that stat next to their name but I think the opposing offense's initial formation will dictate who is in there for the first snap of the game.

In the NFL, "starts" can be a bit misleading sometimes.

raphael120
05-27-2008, 10:01 AM
DT's have three years to prove their worth and JP's have 10 years.

The Answer
05-27-2008, 11:01 AM
We haven't even seen Spencer play, how can we choose?

He was outstanding in what limited playing time he had behind the Williams boys in Minny.

This has been my sleeper move of the offseason. Stroud should be rock solid if healthy, and McCargo is an emerging young stud. But if Johnson ends up being the player I think he is than we are going to be loaded again at the DT position. Thrown in Kyle Williams and we have some great depth and nice rotation.

~The Answer

The Answer
05-27-2008, 11:03 AM

Who said McCargo is a bust? I thought he looked great last year but he obviously is still raw and only really has one full season of experience under his belt.

Obviously you have to factor in that he was playing with garbage (triplett) his first two years in the league - I think McCargo is going to have a breakout year in 2008.

~The Answer

EDS
05-27-2008, 11:44 AM
I think the Bills are looking to have 2 strong pairings that can stuff the run. Stroud is the run stuffer in the first pairing and McCargo is the run stuffer in the second pairing. Now that I think about it its not about starting positions that they relegated McCargo, its about pairings. If they put Stroud and McCargo together you are putting your 2 most powerful players together and weakening the second pairing of Johnson and Williams. They want 2 balanced pairings and since Stroud is obviously the starter that makes Johnson the 3-technique that plays with him. McCargo will be the 3-technique in the second pairing and I heard KW is being groomed as the 1-technique.

I think they would be much better off have one very strong pairing and play those two guys 66% to 80% of the time. The other guys can come in and give them breathers. This is particularly true if the first two are much better then the other two.

In reality though, the Bills have had such poor play from the DTs the past two seasons that anything is an upgrade.

bigbub2352
05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
I hate to say it but i think some are overlooking Teraz McCray, this is a guy who went undrafted out of the "U" and is 6ft 1 287lbs, and led the Hurricanes in sacks last year and i have no idea why he wanst drafted he was ranked in all my draft guides as a 4-6th rd prospect, he does have injuries in his past, but was a demon for Maimi,

I think this kid at the very least will be on the practice squad, and maybe a backup taking over for jason Jefferson, he also plays DE and would be good on goaline situations

We are getting better at depth as well as starters on the DLine

The Answer
05-27-2008, 11:50 AM
I hate to say it but i think some are overlooking Teraz McCray, this is a guy who went undrafted out of the "U" and is 6ft 1 287lbs, and led the Hurricanes in sacks last year and i have no idea why he wanst drafted he was ranked in all my draft guides as a 4-6th rd prospect, he does have injuries in his past, but was a demon for Maimi,

I think this kid at the very least will be on the practice squad, and maybe a backup taking over for jason Jefferson, he also plays DE and would be good on goaline situations

We are getting better at depth as well as starters on the DLine

I agree about McCray - this guy could definitely be a sleeper as an undrafted rookie similar to Pat Williams, but for now I don't expect him to be anything more than a 'project' that is bound for the practice squad.

~The Answer

PECKERWOOD
05-27-2008, 12:33 PM
I expect McCargo to win the job. DJ even said himself that McCargo and Stroud will see the vast majority of the snaps and will only leave the field when they absolutely have to.

Al the Bills Fan
06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Saying that McCargo is a bust after two seasons is a little premature in my opinion! His first season he wsa hurt, the second season he played rather well towards the end of the year. I think he will win the starting job by the end of camp and will continue to improve. DT is one of those positions that takes some time for a player to blossom at the NFL level. You don't see many young DT going to Pro Bowls.

McCargo will have a decent year, remember, he was playing beside Tripplet as well.

djjimkelly
06-02-2008, 03:42 AM
mccargo was one of the lone bright spots on that D line in the second half of the season

Jan Reimers
06-02-2008, 06:00 AM
mccargo was one of the lone bright spots on that D line in the second half of the season
I agree. McCargo really seems to be coming on. If Johnson becomes the nominal starter, so much the better. It will mean that we made a helluva free agent addition. McCargo, Stroud, Johnson and Williams (or maybe McCray if he beats out Williams, who tries hard but isn't really that good) will give us a very strong rotation.

Al the Bills Fan
06-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I agree. McCargo really seems to be coming on. If Johnson becomes the nominal starter, so much the better. It will mean that we made a helluva free agent addition. McCargo, Stroud, Johnson and Williams (or maybe McCray if he beats out Williams, who tries hard but isn't really that good) will give us a very strong rotation.

Totally agree! I hope McCargo can step up and play to his potential. But like you said, if he is beat out for the job it just means we will have quality depth. Win-Win. I think Johnson will also play well in whatever capacity he finds himself, he did play well in Minny when he had the chance.

Mitchell55
06-03-2008, 08:29 PM

Id say Spencer is better but McCargo deserves one more shot.

patmoran2006
06-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I dont think its going to matter, because I think they're both going to see A LOT of snaps.

I think the guy who's gonna get assed out of the rotation is Kyle Williams, who has a high motor but simply gets pushed around too much.

lmcshadow
09-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Guess who didnt make it Zone fans

LABillsFan
09-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Until week 3 comes around, the Bills will use both until one emerges. I talked to a Vikings fan who said the Bills got a quality player in Spencer. I tend to think Spencer gets the reps.... for now.

lmcshadow
09-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Williams in McCargo 2 or :band: 3?

lmcshadow
01-25-2009, 06:52 PM
seems like this was said before

patmoran2006
01-28-2009, 12:24 PM
mccargo. 100% positive.

hahah.. Got ya..

Just playing, We would need a whole new website to categorize all my and others outlandish statements that went awry.

patmoran2006
01-28-2009, 12:24 PM
I dont think its going to matter, because I think they're both going to see A LOT of snaps.

I think the guy who's gonna get assed out of the rotation is Kyle Williams, who has a high motor but simply gets pushed around too much.
Such as!

Dr. Lecter
01-28-2009, 12:27 PM
I give you credit for manning up Pat.

I did not make any stupid comments in this thread! I saved them for others apparently.

yordad
01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
It is honestly hard for me to know how good Spencer is, but I think McCargo is about to be pretty good. My bet is on McCargo.OK, I admit it......

1). this is the only time I have ever been wrong

2). my little brother stole my password

:band: