X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Ranking the Bills.....unit by unit

On the heels of ublinkwescore's recent thread on what position(s) excite you, here's one where you are to rank the Bills current roster, unit-by-unit.

By using "units" I'm trying to make it easir and not split hairs. So, all CBs and Safeties are under one DB unit. All DT and DE are in the DL unit, for examples.

Here are the EIGHT units to rank: QB, OL (tackle to tackle), TE, WR, RB (FBs included), DL, LB, DB. Special Teams don't need to be ranked.

Rank them according to what unit you feel is the best (to the least) suited from TOP to BOTTOM going into camp, not just having the best player.

I'll start:

1. OL - Easily the best overall unit on the team right now. Sure, a couple question marks, but nothing near panic mode and nothing close to what some of the other units have.

2. LB - I'm really excited to see these guys work together this season. Adding both Mitchell and Poz to the group makes them a very good starting group. But the way the "backups" played last year after others got injured, I'm very comfortable in the depth there now.

3. RB - Marshawn's a stud. He alone makes this group one of our best, but if he was to go down for a 3-4 game stretch, Freddy proved he is more than capable of handling the full-time duties.

4. DL - I'd have no problem putting this group in the top-3, but I want to see Stroud's injury recovery for myself and how Johnson factors in before being convinced of the vast improvement of this unit.

5. QB - OK, we can debate WHICH guy is best to start, but at least we have two QBs who can both win games in the NFL. Some teams wonder if they have any.

6. WR - Hardy's success could vault this unit up the list with a bullet (oops, no pun intended). But he's only a rookie and until that happens, we still have to question the #2 spot and wonder how we're going to score TDs once inside the 20.

7. DB - At CB, we have Terrence McGee (who's pretty good, not great) and then a couple vets who still have to prove they can be solid #2 CBs for a full season. After that we have one rookie we're putting a lot of pressure on, two more rookies we have no idea about, and a Youboty. I'm even more concerned about Safety. If Ko returns from the injury to play well, it will help a lot, but even then, our depth isn't as encouraging as I'd like at both (SS/FS) spots.

8. TE - Don't even get me started. When the Offensive Coordinator actually says, "I can see why there would be reason for fans to be concerned," that tells me my lack of confidence in this unit right now is totally justified.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Re: Ranking the Bills.....unit by unit

Good thread.

I would knock the OL down a notch. Sure, the starters are entrenched but their run blocking capabilities are still a question mark.

I'd rank the units.

1) RB - A full season of ML and FJ should be exciting
    2) OL - Starters are un-questioned but run blocking is still a question
    3) LB - Poz and Mitchell are slight unknowns but there is a lot of reason for optimism at LB
    4) DL - Stroud and Johnson should fortify the middle and free up Schobel and Kelsay
    5) QB - Trent has a full off-season taking first team reps it needs to show up on the field (I believe it will)
    6) WR - Like you said #2 is a question mark, which drags this unit down.
    7) DB - Is ranked low but has good potential with a #11 pick and added depth
    8) TE - Royal, Schouman, Anderson, Fine, Johnson... the bodies are there but is the talent?
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• yordad
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Coach Sal
      On the heels of ublinkwescore's recent thread on what position(s) excite you, here's one where you are to rank the Bills current roster, unit-by-unit.

By using "units" I'm trying to make it easir and not split hairs. So, all CBs and Safeties are under one DB unit. All DT and DE are in the DL unit, for examples.

Here are the EIGHT units to rank: QB, OL (tackle to tackle), TE, WR, RB (FBs included), DL, LB, DB. Special Teams don't need to be ranked.

Rank them according to what unit you feel is the best (to the least) suited from TOP to BOTTOM going into camp, not just having the best player.

I'll start:

1. OL - Easily the best overall unit on the team right now. Sure, a couple question marks, but nothing near panic mode and nothing close to what some of the other units have.

2. LB - I'm really excited to see these guys work together this season. Adding both Mitchell and Poz to the group makes them a very good starting group. But the way the "backups" played last year after others got injured, I'm very comfortable in the depth there now.

3. RB - Marshawn's a stud. He alone makes this group one of our best, but if he was to go down for a 3-4 game stretch, Freddy proved he is more than capable of handling the full-time duties.

4. DL - I'd have no problem putting this group in the top-3, but I want to see Stroud's injury recovery for myself and how Johnson factors in before being convinced of the vast improvement of this unit.

5. QB - OK, we can debate WHICH guy is best to start, but at least we have two QBs who can both win games in the NFL. Some teams wonder if they have any.

6. WR - Hardy's success could vault this unit up the list with a bullet (oops, no pun intended). But he's only a rookie and until that happens, we still have to question the #2 spot and wonder how we're going to score TDs once inside the 20.

7. DB - At CB, we have Terrence McGee (who's pretty good, not great) and then a couple vets who still have to prove they can be solid #2 CBs for a full season. After that we have one rookie we're putting a lot of pressure on, two more rookies we have no idea about, and a Youboty. I'm even more concerned about Safety. If Ko returns from the injury to play well, it will help a lot, but even then, our depth isn't as encouraging as I'd like at both (SS/FS) spots.

8. TE - Don't even get me started. When the Offensive Coordinator actually says, "I can see why there would be reason for fans to be concerned," that tells me my lack of confidence in this unit right now is totally justified.
      1) LBs- I think it will be elite. Digi and Ellison provide experienced depth.

2) RBs- I think half back is very set. The Beast and Fred "The Gem" Jackson will be stellar. Omon and Wright are intriguing. I would have this at "1)" if I like our FBs better. I would prefer to have a versatile one. One who could be a receiving threat, pound the rock one or two times a game, and block. I mean, keep the defense guessing at the very least. We only field 11 guys, you might as well try to get the most out of ever position.

3) OL- I am no lineman guru, But I thought Walker did very good. Butler was more solid then most people give him credit for. So, 4 out of 5 I think are solid. I would like to have a better center. Depth is poor.

4) DL- Couple big questions, but if this goes half as good as expected, it should still be better then last year. This could be a sleeper. These guys could be very good. Or, it could be bad. But, at the least, they are experienced. We even have an shinny new pass rusher.

5) QB- To be honest, if JP was the starter I would have this higher. Still, I don't think Trent will be a slouch.

6) WRs- This gets the sleeper label too. Check it out, we are all excite about positions ranked near the bottom. Hardy could be a red zone beast. Lee could flourish with the extra help. And, so could Reed and Parrish back in there proper roles. If Hardy does what we all think he can, this could be on top come next year.

7) DBs- This is no knock on the DBs. Seems I think every position will be good. If McKelvin proves better then Greer, then even this unit can be stellar. Especially with an improved front 7. I think having the rangy Simpson back will help Whitner make some big plays. Log jam for depth at CB. Shallow at S.

8) TEs- I have hope, but little faith.
      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• djjimkelly
        • Apr 2003

i dont have time to do each unit right now.

however i think our dbs are rock solid.

whitner and simpson IMO is one of the best young combos in nfl i know simpson got hurt week 1 last year but this kid is a stud im actually higher on him the i am on whitner.

i like mcgee and if our #11 pick can come close to his draft status i love our starting 2.

i would think this group is a top 3 unit on the team

i do think everyone has our d line WAY overrated i think they might be the worst unit on the team excluding the TE position.

once again i must point coaching is the biggest weak link on this team i will point it out till they either prove me greatly wrong or get fired 16 games from now

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

1. D-backs-Anybody of substance is returning plus the addition of McKelvin. Solid starters and depth with lots of potential.

2. LB's-Five starters for three spots is a good thing.

3. D-line-A healthy Stroud upgrades the interior, now the ends just have to pin their ears back and produce.

4. RB's-Lynch is solid, Jackson exciting, but not much proven after that.

5. O-line-weakness at center and severe lack of depth...maybe should be even lower.

6. QB-The starter is green and the back-up is a proven underachiever...not a good situation.

7. WR-The key to this group is Hardy. If he succeeds, the effectiveness of the entire unit will sky-rocket...If he doesn't, another year of watching a bunch of #3 slot receivers pretending to be starters.

8. TE-Robert Royal, two street FA's, a mid-round pick and a tweener. 'Nuff said.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
            1. D-backs-Anybody of substance is returning plus the addition of McKelvin. Solid starters and depth with lots of potential.

2. LB's-Five starters for three spots is a good thing.

3. D-line-A healthy Stroud upgrades the interior, now the ends just have to pin their ears back and produce.

4. RB's-Lynch is solid, Jackson exciting, but not much proven after that.

5. O-line-weakness at center and severe lack of depth...maybe should be even lower.

6. QB-The starter is green and the back-up is a proven underachiever...not a good situation.

7. WR-The key to this group is Hardy. If he succeeds, the effectiveness of the entire unit will sky-rocket...If he doesn't, another year of watching a bunch of #3 slot receivers pretending to be starters.

8. TE-Robert Royal, two street FA's, a mid-round pick and a tweener. 'Nuff said.
            1) DB: Alot will depend on the pass rush. No pass rush = the secondary will still look like ****.

2)LB: Should be set.

3) D-Line: Still big question mark, the whole D will rely on this unit. If they can't pass rush or stop the run this year it wont matter if you put 7 Hall of famers behind them.

4) RB: Set

5) O-line: Still need a Center, otherwise playing together almost all year will help.

6) Biggest Question mark on team. JP is proven stinkage, TE needs alot of improvement.

7) Lee needs to step it up and Hardy is a rookie.
            Last edited by DraftBoy; 05-27-2008, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

1. LB-Addition of Mitchell on the outside and the proven depth we have here makes this the unquestioned top spot

2. DB-Still have question marks at FS and consistency issues at CB but the depth is good.

3. RB-Lynch and Jackson make a good duo, Oman has good potential as a short yardage back too.

4. OL-Need a new OC, could use an upgrade at OG and we have no usable depth.

5. DL-Stroud has a lot of questions, McCargo must step up, Kelsay and Schoebel just need to start with just showing up.

6. QB-Edwards must grow this year, he cannot stay stagnant, and he absolutely cannot regress at all.

7. WR-No proven help brought in this off season and people are putting huge expectations on a rookie WR.

8. TE-Haha...that's all about you can say about our TE situation. But hey we got Fine!!
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• feelthepain
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Seems to be quite a contrast of opinion. Some believe the Bills are rock solid in the majority of positions and others think there are many question marks. Interesting.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by feelthepain
                  Seems to be quite a contrast of opinion. Some believe the Bills are rock solid in the majority of positions and others think there are many question marks. Interesting.
                  I think what's even more interesting is the variation on certain units and where they rank, especially DB and OL.

So far, DB is as high as #1 and as low as #7.
                  OL is as high as #1 and as low as #5.
                  Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
                  And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

Isn't that the same for just about any team's fans?

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

1. RB - Lynch and Jackson are awesome with both running and catching and even our 3rd stringer - whether it is Wright or Oman will likely be a very decent powerback. They need to work on their blocking, but there are few RBs out there who don't need to work on that.

2. LB - With Poz returning, we now have great depth with DiG spelling from time to time and the addition of Mitchell alongside Crowell, makes this a great unit to have!

3. DB - Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it'll be long before McKelvin contributes. And now we also have excellent depth here.

4. OL - My only knock on not rating them higher is that I am disppointed that despite their size, they did not run block as good last year. This may improve this year, but nevertheless, I have to judge them on what I've seen up to now. They have the potential to catapult up to the top spot, however, if they can become battering rams - which their size would lead you to believe they could!

5. DL - Stroud has the potential to elevate this group up alongside McCargo. Schobel and Kelsay now need to step it up also however, and unfortunately, I think Kelsay's upside is limited.

6. QB - If Edwards doesn't improve this year, it'll be a long year. However, he's had a year under the system and did reasonably well last year despite being just a rookie. His calmness in the pocket is not something that can be taught in a playbook and hopefully it will serve him well.

7. WR - This group can easily move up but will be dependent on Hardy's development.

8. TE - A bunch of barely serviceable people do not an elite group make. There are many on our team with "potential", but they haven't been able to reach that potential on other teams either, so I hesitate to believe that they will reach their potential here. TEs will likely not figure too much into our offense yet again. I just hope they can atleast block so they can earn their paychecks somehow...

Comment

• mybills
                        81 st zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        1. LB-Addition of Mitchell on the outside and the proven depth we have here makes this the unquestioned top spot

2. DB-Still have question marks at FS and consistency issues at CB but the depth is good.

3. RB-Lynch and Jackson make a good duo, Oman has good potential as a short yardage back too.

4. OL-Need a new OC, could use an upgrade at OG and we have no usable depth.

5. DL-Stroud has a lot of questions, McCargo must step up, Kelsay and Schoebel just need to start with just showing up.

6. QB-Edwards must grow this year, he cannot stay stagnant, and he absolutely cannot regress at all.

7. WR-No proven help brought in this off season and people are putting huge expectations on a rookie WR.

8. TE-Haha...that's all about you can say about our TE situation. But hey we got Fine!!
                        When I read your first 3, I saw they were in the same order as mine. I agree w/the rest, as well.
                        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• feelthepain
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Isn't that the same for just about any team's fans?
                          I don't think so, usually fans know where their strengths and weaknesses are...for the most part.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

I don't think so, usually fans know where their strengths and weaknesses are...for the most part.

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                              • Feb 2005

Mine goes as follows

RB- Lynch is gonna be a star, Jackson is a receiving threat and good runner, and then Wright and Omon are both big backs with a ton of upside, FB Barnes and Viti will battle for job

LB- POZ, Mitchell and Crtowell could form one of the nasty trio's in the NFL and we got backups with experiance, and also some guys with loads of upside in Bowen, Costanzo, and Banks

DL- Stroud is top 5 talent when healthy, Schobel and Kelsay will be outstanding this year with the acquistion of stroud, Johnson and McCargo are both on the rise, and Williams is solid backup, as is Ellis and Denney

DB- Returning both started signed a potential starter in James and drafted the best DB in country, plus still have potential in Youboty and Corner and Cox and FOx, Safties are getting there starting duo back, and Simpson is alot better in pass coverage than anyone who played there last year, and is better in run support, Whitner is leader of D and is only getting better, Scott Wendling and Wilson are great Depth and ST players

OL- Huge unit that is young and growing, my only knock is Fowler but he will fill the space till we draft his predecessor

ST- Lindell and Morroman will be solid as usual and Kick Return game should be better than ever only concerning is LS Neil but he should be better after year under is belt

WR- Evans entering his prime, Hardy huge redzone threat, Parrish dangerous, REED servicable, still got Johnson who has loads of upside, and Jenkins for ST

QB- Trent is gonna be the man, have an exp Backup in JP and another guy with alot of NFL exp in Gibram, also throw a prospect like Drone or Baker if eligable on PS, gives solid depth

TE- Royal will start not to exciting but doesnt do anything to hurt us, Unknowns in Teyo and Courtney and then got 2 guys with upside in Fine and Schouman, will beinteresting too see how they all fit, dont forget about Massaqoui either he is a coaches favorite
                              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

Working...
                              X