PDA

View Full Version : Key for Bills Edwards is staying healthy

The Answer
05-27-2008, 10:37 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/bills/11351

Ask a number of Buffalo Bills fans what their greatest concern is regarding second-year quarterback Trent Edwards, and the majority will probably tell you it's his arm strength (or supposed lack of it). After stepping in for J.P. Losman last season, Edwards started nine games and demonstrated a great deal of poise, intelligence and maturity for a rookie passer, but some were dissatisfied with Edwards' perceived inability to throw the ball downfield. Of course, in reality the issue wasn't that Edwards, who threw seven touchdowns against eight interceptions, couldn't get the ball deep; rather, it was that he couldn't do it as effectively as Losman, who has among the strongest arms in the NFL but has shown in 31 career starts that he possesses none of the intangibles Edwards does....................

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-27-2008, 10:39 AM
this is the better link.

The King
05-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Im with justa on this one!

PECKERWOOD
05-27-2008, 10:44 AM
This has been my biggest talking point since Losman was benched/injured. If you even glance at Edwards' previous injury history I believe anyone with common sense would be alarmed.

The Answer
05-27-2008, 10:50 AM
This has been my biggest talking point since Losman was benched/injured. If you even glance at Edwards' previous injury history I believe anyone with common sense would be alarmed.

I admit that is my number one concern as well, but I have to believe that by adding 15 pounds in the offseason, and playing behind an improving oline, that Trent will be ok.

Regardless we still need a quality backup and right now we don't have that. I'm hoping that we will sign Culpepper or another veteran that might be released in the coming weeks.

~The Answer

mayotm
05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
I admit that is my number one concern as well, but I have to believe that by adding 15 pounds in the offseason, and playing behind an improving oline, that Trent will be ok.

Regardless we still need a quality backup and right now we don't have that. I'm hoping that we will sign Culpepper or another veteran that might be released in the coming weeks.

~The AnswerThey don't need a backup. Losman is quite serviceable as a backup.

The Answer
05-27-2008, 11:07 AM
They don't need a backup. Losman is quite serviceable as a backup.

I'm not going to get into this debate for the 100th time - but I strongly disagree.

If Edwards does go down for a significant stretch (like 4 or 5 straight games) than we need a capable veteran that can at the very least be competitive against .500+ teams and not make killer mistakes that will lose games and Losman is not that guy as history as shown.

~The Answer

The King
05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Lets not turn this into the same debate guys.

Jan Reimers
05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
They don't need a backup. Losman is quite serviceable as a backup.
The Answer and a few others can never pass up an opportunity to crap on JP. They want him to fail more than they want the Bills to win.

I don't understand the irrational hatred by Bills' fans toward one of their own, so I've done the only rational thing I can - put the most vitriolic JP haters on Ignore.

justasportsfan
05-27-2008, 11:27 AM
The Answer and a few others can never pass up an opportunity to crap on JP. They want him to fail more than they want the Bills to win.

I don't understand the irrational hatred by Bills' fans toward one of their own, so I've done the only rational thing I can - put the most vitriolic JP haters on Ignore. the thread starter should be locked out from his own thread immediately

acehole
05-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Injury concern with every player all the time. Some have been hurt more then others ....Trent fits in that catagory.

JP is the back up by order of the FO for this year. Get over it if you can.

Culpepper would be a nice addition to the two above.

My concern is not that Trent can throw the long ball.
I don't think he does it with real velocity or accuracy.
Than will result in more picks then TD's in those situations.

That changes momentum...and loses games.

We shall see......season is upon us.

Ask a number of Buffalo Bills fans what their greatest concern is regarding second-year quarterback Trent Edwards, and the majority will probably tell you it's his arm strength (or supposed lack of it). After stepping in for J.P. Losman last season, Edwards started nine games and demonstrated a great deal of poise, intelligence and maturity for a rookie passer, but some were dissatisfied with Edwards' perceived inability to throw the ball downfield. Of course, in reality the issue wasn't that Edwards, who threw seven touchdowns against eight interceptions, couldn't get the ball deep; rather, it was that he couldn't do it as effectively as Losman, who has among the strongest arms in the NFL but has shown in 31 career starts that he possesses none of the intangibles Edwards does....................

~The Answer

acehole
05-27-2008, 12:10 PM

I don't understand the irrational hatred by Bills' fans toward one of their own, so I've done the only rational thing I can - put the most vitriolic JP haters on Ignore.

Thanks...that is the one button that promts me to defend him.

Anyway good luck Trent.

mayotm
05-27-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm not going to get into this debate for the 100th time - but I strongly disagree.

If Edwards does go down for a significant stretch (like 4 or 5 straight games) than we need a capable veteran that can at the very least be competitive against .500+ teams and not make killer mistakes that will lose games and Losman is not that guy as history as shown.

~The AnswerFirst of all, I'm 100% behind Edwards and am caustiously optimistic that the Bills finally have their QB of the future. However, you have absolutely zero creditibility on this topic. You're basically stating that Losman isn't good enough to be a backup QB in this league which is simply ridiculous.

The Answer
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
First of all, I'm 100% behind Edwards and am caustiously optimistic that the Bills finally have their QB of the future. However, you have absolutely zero creditibility on this topic. You're basically stating that Losman isn't good enough to be a backup QB in this league which is simply ridiculous.

No I have plenty of credibility on this topic - JP is a complete bust. How many busts do you know that are still in this league as a #2 or #3 QB? Not many.

Also what is Losman's overall win/loss record, and how many wins does he have against + .500 teams? If you know the answers to these questions than you won't question my position on this topic.

Also there is no need to keep him around. Trent will be the starter for the entire 2008 season if he's healthy - even if he is horrible, it's his chance to do what Losman couldn't. Because if he don't end up being the guy than we are in serious trouble as a franchise.

~The Answer

mybills
05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm not worried about our QB's. The key is for our defense to dominate their opponents.

justasportsfan
05-27-2008, 01:28 PM
No I have plenty of credibility on this topic -

:spam:

mayotm
05-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey Answer, if Edwards got hurt next year and JP had to play, would you cheer against the Bills?

justasportsfan
05-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey Answer, if Edwards got hurt next year and JP had to play, would you cheer against the Bills?
a few of them would.

mayotm
05-27-2008, 01:39 PM
a few of them would.Yeah, it's pathetic.

The Answer
05-27-2008, 01:41 PM

No - but I'm not worried about that scenario happening because JP will never be playing QB again for the Bills.

We need to get a capable veteran in here ASAP or if the aformentioned scenario were to happen you can flush the entire season down the toilet.

~The Answer

mayotm
05-27-2008, 01:54 PM
For somebody that isn't worried about Losman, you sure do love posting about him. That's basically the problem that I have with your posts on this topic. You are somebody that has thrown their full support behind Edwards and that's great. However, you don't seem to be able to post something positive about Edwards without throwing in something negative about Losman. You've made your opinions about Losman perfectly clear. Move on.

justasportsfan
05-27-2008, 01:55 PM
For somebody that isn't worried about Losman, you sure do love posting about him. .

PWNED!!!!!!

The Answer
05-27-2008, 02:10 PM
For somebody that isn't worried about Losman, you sure do love posting about him. That's basically the problem that I have with your posts on this topic. You are somebody that has thrown their full support behind Edwards and that's great. However, you don't seem to be able to post something positive about Edwards without throwing in something negative about Losman. You've made your opinions about Losman perfectly clear. Move on.

You are the one that hijacked the thread with your pro - losman propaganda. Typical JP fan Modus Operandi.

I orginally stated that we needed a proven veteran back up and made no reference to JP whatsover, than you made a post about him and I responded to that.

I'm not the one that needs to move on - I did that last season, week 4 to be exact when the Edwards era began.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-27-2008, 02:12 PM
You are the one that hijacked the thread with your pro - losman propaganda. Typical JP fan Modus Operandi.

I orginally stated that we needed a proven veteran back up and made no reference to JP whatsover, than you made a post about him and I responded to that.

I'm not the one that needs to move on - I did that last season, week 4 to be exact when the Edwards era began.

~The Answer
no ones mentioned JP more in this thread than you yourself. You actually hijacked your own thread. :snicker:

mayotm
05-27-2008, 02:39 PM

~The AnswerJust because you didn't mention Losman by name doesn't mean you weren't taking another shot at him. I'm not a Losman fan. I'm not an Edwards fan. I'm a Buffalo Bills fan!

justasportsfan
05-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Just because you didn't mention Losman by name doesn't mean you weren't taking another shot at him. I'm not a Losman fan. I'm not an Edwards fan. I'm a Buffalo Bills fan!
He's sending me love message now. Must've struck a nerve.

Mitchy moo
05-27-2008, 02:50 PM
No - but I'm not worried about that scenario happening because JP will never be playing QB again for the Bills.

We need to get a capable veteran in here ASAP or if the aformentioned scenario were to happen you can flush the entire season down the toilet.

~The Answer

If I had a choice of any of the backups currently available, I would actually take JP. He knows the system, is here under contract and we do not have to pay him some amazing amount of coin to stand around. JP has made no big noises about being benched again and again either. He has actually asked for a opportunity to play somewhere else but understands he is under contract to play. JP has no real position to hold out either and has to play ball to actually play ball somewhere else later. So personally it's a win / win situation for JP to play it cool, which is cool.