• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Why the Bills will win 10 games

First I will start with last year's record of 7-9. Then let's look at the following components to a team's success: coaching, offensive players, defensive players, ST players and strength of schedule.

1. Coaching.

The Bills have undergone two significant changes to the coaching staff. First, former Offensive Coordinator Steve Fairchild is gone and has been replaced by Turk Schonert. This is, quite simply, addition by subtraction. Considering that Mother Lecter would be a better OC than Fairchild this is a positive step.

Second, veteran O-line coach Jim McNally retired. The man who brought Jason Peters from being a UDFA Tight End to a Pro Bowl LT is gone and replaced by Lockport native Sean Kugler (who worked primarily with the tackles, including Peters) and former all-pro guard Ray Brown. To me this is essentially a wash, until Schonert does something.

No additional wins or losses.

Still at 7 wins.

2. Offensive Players

The Bills made no significant veteran additions to this unit. While it is disappointing, the lack of TE’s and WR’s in the free agency market make it hardly surprising. Any improvement on offense will have to come from rookies (Hardy, Fine), the improvement of 2nd year players (Trent, Lynch) and the fact the O-line will remain the same for a 2nd year and should have improved cohesiveness.

Weaknesses still remain at TE and OL depth (although that is hardly uncommon in the NFL). Adding a FB to the mix could also help Lynch/Jackson/Wright/Omon gain tough short yardage at the goal line and in 3rd and 4th and short conditions.

The improvement is unlikely to be significant, but as we saw a gain of a point or two a game could have changed the outcome of at least two games last year (Dallas and Denver – what if the offense scored more than 3 against the Cowboys???). Even a minor change will add one win to the Bills total.

Up to 8 wins!

3. Defensive Players

This should be the most improved area on the team. Marcus Stroud, even at 90%, is 10X better than Larry Tripplett. Spencer Johnson is better than Jason Jefferson. John McCargo seemed to be coming into his own last year. Ryan Denney, a solid #3 DE and pass rusher, is back from injury. #4 DE might be weak, but if Johnson can swing over and/or Ellis can rush the passer, the Bills might not be worse off than most teams at #4 DE. And, if the LBs and DTs are better, Schobel should be able to get after the QB more and will hopefully return to double digit sack totals.

LB should be greatly improved. Poz is back from injury and Mitchell joins the team. Now Keith Ellison and John DiGiorgio can be back-ups and depth players, which are great roles for them. Having depth that has started before is always a positive.

The defensive backfield gets Ko Simpson back, added Leodis McKelvin and Will James, and also has the benefit of having experienced depth at safety with George Wilson having started a good portion of last season. With now having the top four corners being James, McGee, McKelvin, and Greer and actual depth at safety not named Leonard, this unit should also be quite improved.

Really this unit should contribute two more wins to the Bills season.

Up to 10 wins!

4. ST Players

This unit, imo, will be worse than last season. The losses of Stamer, Haggan, Wire, Hargrove and Aiken takes away five long time contributors and leaders to the ST. While Wendling and Jenkins showed flashes last year, rookies like Bowen, Fine, Ellis and Omon will have to produce. The return to full time duty of Ellison and DiGiorgio will help; still I see the unit declining and lead to one less win than last year.

Back down to 9 wins.

5. Strength of Schedule

Quite simply, the Bills have (in theory) an easier schedule than last year. Of course, that can all change once the season starts, but for now it is easier.

I predict this will add one win to the Bills total.

So we finish with a grand total of ten wins.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter; 05-27-2008, 11:07 AM.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why the Bills will win 10 games

11-5 .

sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Great analysis, Doc. I'm with you all the way. 10 wins should get us into the playoffs, which would be great.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dujek
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2008

A good analysis. Hopefully it works out that way and the Bills finally make it back into the playoffs!

Comment

• The Answer
          The Plagiarist
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          First I will start with last year's record of 7-9. Then let's look at the following components to a team's success: coaching, offensive players, defensive players, ST players and strength of schedule.

1. Coaching.

The Bills have undergone two significant changes to the coaching staff. First, former Offensive Coordinator Steve Fairchild is gone and has been replaced by Turk Schonert. This is, quite simply, addition by subtraction. Considering that Mother Lecter would be a better OC than Fairchild this is a positive step.

Second, veteran O-line coach Jim McNally retired. The man who brought Jason Peters from being a UDFA Tight End to a Pro Bowl LT is gone and replaced by Lockport native Sean Kugler (who worked primarily with the tackles, including Peters) and former all-pro guard Ray Brown. To me this is essentially a wash, until Schonert does something.

No additional wins or losses.

Still at 7 wins.

2. Offensive Players

The Bills made no significant veteran additions to this unit. While it is disappointing, the lack of TE’s and WR’s in the free agency market make it hardly surprising. Any improvement on offense will have to come from rookies (Hardy, Fine), the improvement of 2nd year players (Trent, Lynch) and the fact the O-line will remain the same for a 2nd year and should have improved cohesiveness.

Weaknesses still remain at TE and OL depth (although that is hardly uncommon in the NFL). Adding a FB to the mix could also help Lynch/Jackson/Wright/Omon gain tough short yardage at the goal line and in 3rd and 4th and short conditions.

The improvement is unlikely to be significant, but as we saw a gain of a point or two a game could have changed the outcome of at least two games last year (Dallas and Denver – what if the offense scored more than 3 against the Cowboys???). Even a minor change will add one win to the Bills total.

Up to 8 wins!

3. Defensive Players

This should be the most improved area on the team. Marcus Stroud, even at 90%, is 10X better than Larry Tripplett. Spencer Johnson is better than Jason Jefferson. John McCargo seemed to be coming into his own last year. Ryan Denney, a solid #3 DE and pass rusher, is back from injury. #4 DE might be weak, but if Johnson can swing over and/or Ellis can rush the passer, the Bills might not be worse off than most teams at #4 DE. And, if the LBs and DTs are better, Schobel should be able to get after the QB more and will hopefully return to double digit sack totals.

LB should be greatly improved. Poz is back from injury and Mitchell joins the team. Now Keith Ellison and John DiGiorgio can be back-ups and depth players, which are great roles for them. Having depth that has started before is always a positive.

The defensive backfield gets Ko Simpson back, added Leodis McKelvin and Will James, and also has the benefit of having experienced depth at safety with George Wilson having started a good portion of last season. With now having the top four corners being James, McGee, McKelvin, and Greer and actual depth at safety not named Leonard, this unit should also be quite improved.

Really this unit should contribute two more wins to the Bills season.

Up to 10 wins!

4. ST Players

This unit, imo, will be worse than last season. The losses of Stamer, Haggan, Wire, Hargrove and Aiken takes away five long time contributors and leaders to the ST. While Wendling and Jenkins showed flashes last year, rookies like Bowen, Fine, Ellis and Omon will have to produce. The return to full time duty of Ellison and DiGiorgio will help; still I see the unit declining and lead to one less win than last year.

Back down to 9 wins.

5. Strength of Schedule

Quite simply, the Bills have (in theory) an easier schedule than last year. Of course, that can all change once the season starts, but for now it is easier.

I predict this will add one win to the Bills total.

So we finish with a grand total of ten wins.

I think we have the potential to be a 12 or 13 win team if all the pieces fall into place - with that said, we could also flouder and win be a 3 or 4 win team.

~The Answer
          Last edited by The Answer; 05-27-2008, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
            Defies all logic
            • Oct 2006

I'm thinking along the lines of an 8-8 season.

Comment

• M
              • Aug 2006

I like your thinking, Lecter!
              Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                11-5 .

11 or more.
                I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Luisito23
                  Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                  • Apr 2003

10 sounds about right to me as well, although I guess I'll take 11 too.....
                  "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                  ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                  ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                  ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Luisito23
                    10 sounds about right to me as well, although I guess I'll take 11 too.....
                    I was one game short in 06 and was right last year. I will be right or .5 off this year

the crystall ball has been buffed .
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                      I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                      • May 2005

I've been right two years running... I called for 9-7 this year (subject to change during preseason) and just missing the playoffs. Well thought out logic though Doc!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                        Roways rooking ahread!
                        • Sep 2005

Come Sept 6th, we will all be calling for 10 wins or more. We will pee ourselves with excitement and all become homers, like every year.

With all of that being said, today 10 wins is a reasonable amount based on how the teams we play this year played last season. We'll have to see how much better the NFC west is this season because besides seattle, they stunk. If that holds true this year as well and our division rival Jets / Miami still have issues, we are looking at ~8 wins right there. You would think we could find 2 more in the rest of the games and even more if we start off well.

Go Bills.

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Positive thoughts on a Bills fan site.

You've got some nerve, Doc !
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                            • Mar 2004

9-7 Ten wins would impress me

Comment

• Bling
                              • Jul 2004

Well thought out, Lec!

But wrong... you're missing one big detail. You still got a bum at Head Coach. You can't win in this league with a Dick Jauron. Your offense should be better, and defense is arguable.

Comment

Working...
                              X