• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Edwards downplays Peters' absence

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 3:22 PM ET | Link

EDWARDS DOWNPLAYS PETERS' ABSENCE: While Bills fans and the WNY media might be making an issue of left tackle Jason Peters' absence at Buffalo's voluntary OTA workouts the past two weeks, the man who he primarily protects doesn't see it as a huge concern.

“I don’t think so at all," said Edwards Thursday. "The funny thing I tell the offensive linemen and d-linemen is there’s only so much you really can do. It’s not like we’re putting in a brand new concept that they haven’t learned before. They’re getting paid to perform in the fall and in training camp. That’s when they make the biggest strides. So that’s not at all a concern for me and some of the guys here are benefiting from taking his reps.”

While I agree with Edwards that linemen benefit most in the practice setting when the pads are on, it'd still be nice to see Peters even for a handful of these practices. At the very least it's anticipated that Peters will be in for the mandatory minicamp beginning June 11. If he's not there then I think you can start talking about there being an issue there.

sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Edwards downplays Peters' absence

Edwards new physique
    Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 3:18 PM ET | Link

EDWARDS NEW PHYSIQUE: As Buffalobills.com told you almost two months ago, Trent Edwards is noticeably bigger and stronger through his shoulders and arms as he has successfully added about 10 pounds of lean muscle to his frame this offseason. Edwards was asked about it again after Thursday's OTA workout.

“The thing was last year at the end of the season I was losing a lot of weight, putting in a lot of hours and having not been through a professional year I didn’t know how to manage my time and eating and my lifestyle in terms of keeping my weight up," Edwards said. "So I tried to get back to eating the right foods and working out the right way. It’s been a good offseason. I think a lot of credit goes to J.T. Allaire and coach Jauron and the guys we have around here. The nice thing is that we have guys like George Wilson, like Ko Simpson and like Terrence McGee that are pushing you in these workouts. When you work out you see them in the weight room and seeing guys around you wanting to get better makes you only want to work harder.”

---
    sacrifice1

Comment

• The Answer
      The Plagiarist
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by justasportsfan
      Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 3:22 PM ET | Link

EDWARDS DOWNPLAYS PETERS' ABSENCE: While Bills fans and the WNY media might be making an issue of left tackle Jason Peters' absence at Buffalo's voluntary OTA workouts the past two weeks, the man who he primarily protects doesn't see it as a huge concern.

“I don’t think so at all," said Edwards Thursday. "The funny thing I tell the offensive linemen and d-linemen is there’s only so much you really can do. It’s not like we’re putting in a brand new concept that they haven’t learned before. They’re getting paid to perform in the fall and in training camp. That’s when they make the biggest strides. So that’s not at all a concern for me and some of the guys here are benefiting from taking his reps.”

While I agree with Edwards that linemen benefit most in the practice setting when the pads are on, it'd still be nice to see Peters even for a handful of these practices. At the very least it's anticipated that Peters will be in for the mandatory minicamp beginning June 11. If he's not there then I think you can start talking about there being an issue there.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1
      Trent don't make excuses like his predessors and it sounds like he's taking an indirect shot at this fatcat Peters - if you ain't ready to play we'll find somebody that is! This young stud is a leader already.....

~The Answer

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

yeah, he'll notice Peters' absence when the games start and he ends up spending the entire game on the turf because a) Peters isn't ready or b) Kirk Chambers is playing in his place.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mayotm
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by The Answer
          Trent don't make excuses like his predessors and it sounds like he's taking an indirect shot at this fatcat Peters - if you ain't ready to play we'll find somebody that is! This young stud is a leader already.....

~The Answer
          There you go again. Can't say something positive about Edwards without taking shots at others.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mayotm
            There you go again. Can't say something positive about Edwards without taking shots at others.
            it's called trolling, He even trolls in his own threads.
            sacrifice1

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
              yeah, he'll notice Peters' absence when the games start and he ends up spending the entire game on the turf because a) Peters isn't ready or b) Kirk Chambers is playing in his place.
              You gotta admit Trent is dedicated to his own success and says the right things to move the team forward.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

the nice thing about Peters' absence is his back up gets a ton of reps.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Aug 2004

As long as Peters shows up for the mandatory mini-camp and reports to training camp in shape and ready to go (hopefully with a reworked/extended contract), I don't think his missing these OTAs is much of an issue, either. And, there could be a couple of benefits as well:

As Edwards points out, the back-ups are getting more work with Peters not being at these OTAs. That not only can only help Chambers--who we all know needs to improve on the way that he played last season--but also all of the other back-up OTs (including D.Bell) who are going to get more reps in these practices now than they would have if Peters were there taking the majority of the reps with the first team.

Additionally, by not participating in these OTAs, Peters is not risking getting hurt either. Peters is by far the Bills' best offensive lineman. He is also coming off of surgery for a sports hernia. Even if he was at these OTAs, I would not want him to be doing that much at this point. Heal up and get in shape for the start of TC--that's it.

While Schonert may be adding some new things to the offense at this point in these OTAs, the basics of the line play that the new stuff will involve isn't going to be all that different from the things that Peters has been doing that last couple of years. No, Peters won't be able to work on any new techniques, etc. during these OTAs, but it won't be hard for him to pick up on any of the new plays once he does get into TC. And, in the meantime, he is not risking doing anything that might cause him to get hurt or set-back his recovery from his surgery.

Of course it would be nice, as C.Brown pointed out in his blog, if Peters were at OBD to meet his new teammates and take part in the class-room sessions, but, if he were there, it is likely that he would want to at least take some reps and IMHO it is a 50-50 proposition (at best) as to whether that would really be that good a thing at this point.

So, I agree with Edwards about Peters' absence not being that big a deal at this point. Now, if his contract dispute with the team causes him to miss the mandatory mini-camp or keeps him from getting into camp on time, that would be an entirely different story in my opinion. Then, I would start to have some concerns.
                  Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• jamze132
                    Don’t hate…
                    • Jun 2003

I am not overly concerned about his absence at a volunteer minicamp. Especially considering he did have the leg issue last year.

The Bills should pay him like the Pro Bowl LT he is. Even if he got his extension yesterday, I am still not convinced he would be at camp. None of us really know why exactly he isn't there. Yeah, I read the reports to where calls to him and his agent weren't returned, but none of us really know what's going on. I'm sure we'll here from him soon enough, I'm not worrying about him.

Comment

Working...
                    X