Is the Marcus Stroud trade Donahoe-esque?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Is the Marcus Stroud trade Donahoe-esque?

Dont get me wrong, I am a huge fan of this trade. But it occured to me that their are some striking similarities to some of Donahoes moves. How dissimilar is trading for Stroud to the trade for Drew Bledsoe? Both we no longer wanted by their former team, both were said to be pro-bowl caliper players. We no what happened with Drew. Forget the debate on him, what about Vincent? Lawyer Milloy? Did we trade for damaged goods? a player thats going to only get worse instead of better? I really hope not. thoughts?

• theanswer74
    • Apr 2004

Re: Is the Marcus Stroud trade Donahoe-esque?

Say what you want about Donahoe, he built a top 5 defense and a couple pretty good offenses, his teams just could never put everything together.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

Nope. Apples to oranges and neither Vincent or Milloy were trades. Donahoe actually did a decent job on free agents except his own (Pat Williams). What Donahoe was horrible at was drafting.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by theanswer74
        Say what you want about Donahoe, he built a top 5 defense and a couple pretty good offenses, his teams just could never put everything together.
        Get Bledsoe an O-line, replace Peerless and that offense would have been decent consistently.

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by andyxc71
          Get Bledsoe an O-line, replace Peerless and that offense would have been decent consistently.
          Maybe.

Comment

• The Answer
            The Plagiarist
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
            Dont get me wrong, I am a huge fan of this trade. But it occured to me that their are some striking similarities to some of Donahoes moves. How dissimilar is trading for Stroud to the trade for Drew Bledsoe? Both we no longer wanted by their former team, both were said to be pro-bowl caliper players. We no what happened with Drew. Forget the debate on him, what about Vincent? Lawyer Milloy? Did we trade for damaged goods? a player thats going to only get worse instead of better? I really hope not. thoughts?
            Believe me - if it wasn't for Tom Brady coming out of nowhere, the Pats would have never let Bledsoe go. It's what you call 'stupid lucky'.

Same deal with Meier's emergence in Jacksonville - Stroud became expendable since he is aging and coming off injury. Plus they are right behind Minny as one of the more deeper teams in the league at the DT position.

~The Answer

Comment

• John Doe
              Florida Man
              • Jul 2002

The big difference in the trades at first glance is that the Bills gave up a #1 for Bledsoe to a team within its own division. The Stroud trade was a 3rd and a 5th to a team that is not within the Bills' division.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by John Doe
                The big difference in the trades at first glance is that the Bills gave up a #1 for Bledsoe to a team within its own division. The Stroud trade was a 3rd and a 5th to a team that is not within the Bills' division.
                It seems like we play them nearly every year though.

Comment

• feelthepain
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by EdwardsEra
                  According to some here, every team in the league would have been thrilled to sign Stroud. I said the Stroud move was questionable based on what he's done the last 2 years, drug suspension and the fact that Jacksonville didn't want him anymore. My opinion wasn't malicious or to stir up trouble. I was simply looking at all the facts...what do think the response was?

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

[quote=feelthepain]According to some here, every team in the league would have been thrilled to sign Stroud. I said the Stroud move was questionable based on what he's done the last 2 years, drug suspension and the fact that Jacksonville didn't want him anymore. My opinion wasn't malicious or to stir up trouble. I was simply looking at all the facts...what do think the response was?[/quote

Like it or not, a Bills fan can make that question fly, and Fins fan cant. Thats just the cold hard facts.

I value your opinion, and welcome all responses from you, but if your looking for support, your on the wrong board.

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by feelthepain
                      According to some here, every team in the league would have been thrilled to sign Stroud. I said the Stroud move was questionable based on what he's done the last 2 years, drug suspension and the fact that Jacksonville didn't want him anymore. My opinion wasn't malicious or to stir up trouble. I was simply looking at all the facts...what do think the response was?
                      LOL! Sure your response was purely non-malicious or not to stir up trouble. It's not like you've tried that before, or that as a fan of a rival team, you don't want Stroud to fail.

I won't speak for others, but I acknowledged that Stroud's injury history is a concern, but his steroid suspension doesn't worry me at all. Anytime the ankle of a guy weighing 300+# is involved, there's cause for concern. But the risk was worth it.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

No.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mayotm
                          • Jul 2003

Haven't we already established that you're smarter than everybody here?

Comment

• feelthepain
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

[quote=EdwardsEra]
                            According to some here, every team in the league would have been thrilled to sign Stroud. I said the Stroud move was questionable based on what he's done the last 2 years, drug suspension and the fact that Jacksonville didn't want him anymore. My opinion wasn't malicious or to stir up trouble. I was simply looking at all the facts...what do think the response was?[/quote

Like it or not, a Bills fan can make that question fly, and Fins fan cant. Thats just the cold hard facts.

I value your opinion, and welcome all responses from you, but if your looking for support, your on the wrong board.
                            Who cares about support? I understand where I'm posting. I either make a valid point or I don't. Is it my fault some Bill fans are to immature to engage in mature conversation? I think to many threads here are destroyed because some Bill fans can't post without trash talking. If I came here and every single post I participate in I was simply starting trouble for no reason, I wouldn't have over 4,000 posts. I try to keep things civil, but some here just refuse to allow others to question anything the Bills do simply because they're not Bill fans. That's simply immature and ridiculous.

Comment

• feelthepain
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Goobylal
                              LOL! Sure your response was purely non-malicious or not to stir up trouble. It's not like you've tried that before, or that as a fan of a rival team, you don't want Stroud to fail.
                              Then I suggest you go back and re-read the thread. I was simply pointing out the Stroud deal was questionable, I've also made it clear I never said Stoud would not succeed in Buffalo. I only said he has a lot to prove. If you find something malicious about that then you're trying real hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X