Clear All
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

Youboty Now Seems Backed Into Corner

Youboty now seems backed into corner
    Allen Wilson
    Updated: 05/29/08 6:34 AM

Ashton Youboty didn’t need to be reminded that the Buffalo Bills loaded up on cornerbacks. He insists he isn’t bothered by the moves, but the message sent is clear.

Heading into his third season, Youboty is already at a career crossroads. It’s time for him to fulfill the expectations that accompanied his third-round selection in 2006, and he knows it.

“I worked out hard this offseason because this has got to be it,” Youboty said after a practice this week. “It’s not the end of the world, but I know it’s time for me to step up.”

Coach Dick Jauron said adding four cornerbacks was always part of the Bills’ offseason plan, and it had nothing to do with the position being decimated by injuries last season.

But no matter what anyone says, a team doesn’t add that many cornerbacks unless it is looking for an upgrade.

Leodis McKelvin could be starting on opening day. Will James figures to be the third or fourth corner. Rookie draftees Reggie Corner and Kennard Cox will get plenty of chances to earn roster spots.

The Bills have eight cornerbacks. All of them won’t make the team. For now, Youboty appears safe. But you have to wonder if it will remain that way...."

Youboty knows that he has been put on notice, but the question is whether he has the fire inside to respond and prove that he really wants to play this game.

I've been pulling for him since the Bills drafted him, but he has got to show that he can get the job done this preseason or else.

I'd hate to see the Bills trade him to a potential playoff rival in the AFC, like Cleveland, and then see him suddenly blossom into a real player for them. But, he's going to have to show a lot more than he has to nail down a roster spot with the Bills this season.

If the Bills keep six CBs--which they probably will--Youboty should still make the team, but there's no guarantee that that will be the case. Right now, the best thing that he has going for him is that his competition for the last of those six spots are Dustin Fox and rookie Kennard Cox, who, as a rookie, can go on the PS, if the Bills want to keep him--that and the fact that the Bills almost certainly will be keeping two rookies in McKelvin and Corner and may not want to keep three rookies in their top 6.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.
  • jamze132
    • Jun 2003

Re: Youboty Now Seems Backed Into Corner

I think Youboty will turn into a fine CB, eventually. I know he hasn't played football most of his life so he is relatively young with experience at any level. Coming from Ohio St., obviously he is very talented, but how talented? He is very raw and only time will tell.

But the good thing for him, even if he is a late bloomer and the Bills know that, we now have enough CBs to keep Youboty and bury him on the depth chart until he is ready instead of dumping him off to someone else.

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Cut, release and/or waived.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Romes
        • Jul 2002

...or, hopefully, traded
        Originally posted by paladin warrior
        RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

I can live with that.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I'd really like to see the kid step up, but that's up to him to do it.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• jamze132
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
              Cut, release and/or waived.
              Originally posted by Romes
              ...or, hopefully, traded
              You guys are ready to get rid of the guy now? I can understand your arguments, as he should have progressed a lot more than he has and you might turn out right. But I say we keep him for my reasons stated earlier.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Competition = Cream rises to the top.

I root for the laundry more than the names. After all, they're just cattle with moneybelts.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

I hope he does make the team. If Youboty makes this team its because he stepped up and earned it. If he continually lacks the passion and commitment it takes then he will be gone. The Bills will not cut him any slack. They are loaded with a ton of DBs. Whoever makes this team at DB deserves to be here based on all the competition.

Comment

• The King
                    Without me it's just Awe so
                    • Jun 2004

I see Ashton as a career nickel or dimeback. I havent seen anything out of him to show me he can lock down a NFL elite WR.
                    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                    It was all
                    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• streetkings01
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by MBBedard
                      I see Ashton as a career nickel or dimeback. I havent seen anything out of him to show me he can lock down a NFL elite WR.
                      Santonio Holmes took him school in that week#2 Steelers game......thats when I started to understand why Webster was starting over him who sucks himself!
                      You can call me streetkings

Comment

• The King
                        Without me it's just Awe so
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BuffaloBills06
                        Santonio Holmes took him school in that week#2 Steelers game......thats when I started to understand why Webster was starting over him who sucks himself!
                        and Holmes is hardly elite.
                        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                        It was all
                        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Harvey Johnson
                          Junior Zoner
                          • May 2008

Don't forget that we lost a few special teamers this off season. We may keep more CB's and less LB's and WR's.

Comment

• The Answer
                            The Plagiarist
                            • Mar 2007

Youbouty will have every opportunity to earn a spot on this roster come training camp. But I really think he is going to have to look like an all pro during the preseason to stay here given his history thus far.

With the addition of James, McKelvin, Cox and Corner - it's simply a numbers game now and there is going to be an odd man (or men) out when the final cutdown is complete.

~The Answer

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

I think this quote says a lot about what I have seen about his personal drive...

"“It’s not the end of the world,...."
                              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

Working...
                              X