Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Fox Sports: Pay Em, Trade Em, Ignore Em

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...:-The-NFL-game

Pay 'em
    Buffalo left tackle Jason Peters:
    Because he was undrafted, Peters never received a lucrative rookie contract. The landscape has changed drastically since Peters signed a five-year, $15 million extension in 2006. He is now only Buffalo's third-highest paid lineman behind guard Derrick Dockery and right tackle Langston Walker. And while a new contract must be worked out with wide receiver Lee Evans, the Bills reportedly have $27 million in salary cap space available. That's plenty of room to give a 26-year-old coming off his first Pro Bowl selection a well-deserved raise.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • RingofFire
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2007

Re: Fox Sports: Pay Em, Trade Em, Ignore Em

trade him... nottttttttttttt

Comment

• The Answer
      The Plagiarist
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...:-The-NFL-game

Pay 'em
      Buffalo left tackle Jason Peters:
      Because he was undrafted, Peters never received a lucrative rookie contract. The landscape has changed drastically since Peters signed a five-year, $15 million extension in 2006. He is now only Buffalo's third-highest paid lineman behind guard Derrick Dockery and right tackle Langston Walker. And while a new contract must be worked out with wide receiver Lee Evans, the Bills reportedly have $27 million in salary cap space available. That's plenty of room to give a 26-year-old coming off his first Pro Bowl selection a well-deserved raise.
      Restructure Schobel and Kelsay than maybe I'd agree.

~The Answer

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Show him the money!
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• casdhf
          • Jul 2002

He still has alot of time left on his deal. I think he needs to play one more year with the deal he just signed. I'm all for a big pay day if he plays well.
          Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
          cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Scumbag College
            • Oct 2002

This guy is the franchise LT we've been wanting for years now...

Let him show it this year with an agreement to pay him at the end of the year if he keeps it up.
            Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Scumbag College
              This guy is the franchise LT we've been wanting for years now...

Let him show it this year with an agreement to pay him at the end of the year if he keeps it up.
              Sounds like a good idea, but do you do that with a handshake?
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Scumbag College
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                Sounds like a good idea, but do you do that with a handshake?
                Yes. I think the Bills' organization really took their time with him, developed an undrafted TE into a top LT, and showed alot of patience with him. As an act of good faith to the organization that showed a couple of years of good faith to him, I think it would be a good PR move for Peters and his agent to not try any funny business like holding out of TC until he gets paid. If the Bills make that deal and reneg on their offer after another great 2008 season, they are going to look terrible to every potential FA for the next few years.
                Last edited by Scumbag College; 05-30-2008, 10:05 PM.

Vote Nader in 2008!

Comment

• yordad
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Scumbag College
                  Yes. I think the Bills' organization really took their time with him, developed an undrafted TE into a top LT, and showed alot of patience with him. As an act of good faith to the organization showed a couple of years of good faith to him, I think it would be a good PR move for Peters and his agent to not try any funny business like holding out of TC until he gets paid. If the Bills make that deal and reneg on their offer after another great 2008 season, they are going to look terrible to every potential FA for the next few years.
                  Sounds reasonable.
                  "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Scumbag College
                    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                    Sounds reasonable.
                    Thanks yordad, I don't mind the debate.

Vote Nader in 2008!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                      • Feb 2005

He might still be under contract for the next few years but he has clearly out-played his previous contract and deserves to be paid for what he is..... a Pro Bowl Left Tackle.

Comment

• Al the Bills Fan
                        • Aug 2007

We need to do whatever we have to do to keep this guy in Buffalo!!! What an outstanding player he has turned out to be, a real diamond in the rough.

Comment

• jamze132
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Al the Bills Fan
                          We need to do whatever we have to do to keep this guy in Buffalo!!! What an outstanding player he has turned out to be, a real diamond in the rough.
                          Well regardless of what happens, Peter's isn't going anywhere for at least 3 years.

I think they need to re-work the contract now and pay him what he's worth to the Bills. You can't have a Pro Bowl LT making less money than Langston Walker. The Bills need to fix that little glitch.

Comment

• Al the Bills Fan
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by jamze132
                            Well regardless of what happens, Peter's isn't going anywhere for at least 3 years.

I think they need to re-work the contract now and pay him what he's worth to the Bills. You can't have a Pro Bowl LT making less money than Langston Walker. The Bills need to fix that little glitch.
                            Yeah I agree, my fear of losing him isn't rooted in the right now. My fear is if the Bills do not do the right thing by him, he will be gone in 3 years, He is young enough and good enough to lock him up for the long term.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Aug 2004

I'm in favor of paying him, but, if the following is true, extending Peters won't be as easy as it might sound since the same conditions would apply to him as to Evans:

"HOW CBA COULD AFFECT EVANS EXTENSION: Since I was asked on Fan Friday this week and several others asked me by email about the potential impact of the CBA opt out by the owners on a Lee Evans contract extension I was provided with some additional information concerning the CBA opt out's potential effect on an Evans deal. Assuming that an extension for Lee Evans would be more than three years in length there would be new restrictions as to how the contract can be formulated.

First, if there is any guaranteed salary in year 3 (2010) or beyond that guaranteed salary would be reallocated to capped years (2008, 2009) and presumably count against the cap in those years. Half of any guaranteed salary in any league year beyond 2012 will also be reallocated to capped years.

In essence that kind of accounting would limit the Bills' flexibility in 2008 and 2009 in terms of cash on hand to spend on other players, so they would likely avoid putting guarantees in any part of the deal beyond the second year.

Second, the 30% increase rule restricts salary increases from 2009 to 2010. For example: a player with a $500K salary in 2009 would be limited to annual salary increases of $150K ($500K x 30%) beginning in 2010.

This would limit the Bills from sharply increasing his salary in the back half of the contract, although the Bills typically don't resort to that tactic as much as other clubs.

Third, and probably most important, a team can include only three veteran team incentives in a player contract covering 2009 and beyond. These incentives must also be coupled with a playtime requirement. Previously, clubs were limited to eight team incentives and no playtime requirement.

This would limit both parties from finding areas where more money can be earned by Evans based on performance. Based on the above I would assume that an incentive or escalator for making the Pro Bowl would be prohibited since it is not tied to playtime. And that is an incentive commonly found in player contracts who have the potential to make the Pro Bowl.

Suffice to say there will be some more hurdles to clear when it comes to ironing out a contract extension for Lee Evans that both sides feel is fair. Under these new negotiating parameters it will likely take a lot longer for each side to figure out what is a fair and equitable deal.

The purpose of these restrictions is to make it difficult so that the owners and the Players Association get back to the bargaining table to reach a new labor pact. But for the interim it's not doing the Bills and Evans any favors in terms of getting an extension completed."

It sounds to me like finding a way to satisfy the player monetarily is going to be very complicated with all of the restrictions that are placed on bonus money by these rules. Working out ways to do this could take both sides some time to come up with something that both sides would find acceptable.
                              Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
                              X