PDA

View Full Version : Trent's style of QBing is going to help the O.

HHURRICANE
05-31-2008, 02:24 PM
I've heard alot of complaining about dink and dunk but after watching the re-runs this kid is not Kelly Holcomb.

First off, he does a great job of leading the receiver so the player can gain yards after the catch. When Holcomb was playing they were true dump passes with the reciever getting hit right at the point of reception. I watched alot of Trent's plays get yardage after the catch.

JP has a deep ball but was also guilty of not hitting receivers in stride.

If I see a positive coming out of this it's that the timing should only get better on these type of plays. Hitting a guy in stride is big to any offense and I know this was something they wanted JP to improve on last year.

PECKERWOOD
05-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, Trent is leading us to the playoffs.

gr8slayer
05-31-2008, 03:24 PM
One thing that needs to improve with Edwards if we plan on being a "dink and dunk" offense (which I don't think we are) is he needs to stop throwing the ball so high; the last thing a WR wants to do is expose his body to a DB or LB and high throws lead to that.

Philagape
05-31-2008, 03:26 PM
The Bills have been dink-and-dunk because of the smurf receivers. Hardy changes that. (and hopefully Johnson too)

Night Train
05-31-2008, 03:27 PM
If he can actually read over the middle and not force the sideline out, it shows he's listening to Turk and not #7.

Just get the ball to the playmakers.

acehole
05-31-2008, 05:57 PM
We shall see.

I've heard alot of complaining about dink and dunk but after watching the re-runs this kid is not Kelly Holcomb.

First off, he does a great job of leading the receiver so the player can gain yards after the catch. When Holcomb was playing they were true dump passes with the reciever getting hit right at the point of reception. I watched alot of Trent's plays get yardage after the catch.

If I see a positive coming out of this it's that the timing should only get better on these type of plays. Hitting a guy in stride is big to any offense and I know this was something they wanted JP to improve on last year.

acehole
05-31-2008, 06:12 PM

How do you know they wanted JP to improve on that again?

Basing this on the Jets game where he underthrew a 6inches on an 80 yarder?

This has got to be the stupidest knock on him.

Eli does it and wins the superbowl and it was heralded
as a great play on eli's part.

Trent style of play better improve from field goals to Td's we should no longer be focusing on JP here.

Jp is the back up.

Trents play is not to credit for yac it is wr and the type of play called...crossing routes being one.

We want to credit WR's for saving JP on a play and then credit Trent for a WR who skirts a db and runs his ass off.

Bizzarro world.

acehole
05-31-2008, 08:42 PM
The Bills have been dink-and-dunk because of the smurf receivers. Hardy changes that. (and hopefully Johnson too)

when assesing a qb one must olny look at the qb.

by philagape

Al the Bills Fan
05-31-2008, 11:54 PM
I think Hardy changes things a bit for our offense (maybe not immediately) once he is comfortable in the offense and is playing at the #2 spot he will certainly take pressure off of Evans. It is hard to throw down the field when your deep guy is constantly seeing double and triple coverage. He will be our redzone guy (fade routes in the end zone) and hopefully be the Eric Moulds in his prime type of reciever that this team needs. Will it happen this year???? Remains to be seen

I think Hardy will be starting by week 4 or 5 (I hope sooner) but even then my expectations aren't super high for him this year, it is awfully hard for a rookie WR to make a big impact. With that said, I think he will be special once he has got some NFL time under his belt. A great fit for our #2 opposite Evans.

LifetimeBillsFan
06-01-2008, 12:37 AM
I think that it is so early that it is really impossible to have any real sense of what the Bills' offense is going to look like this season.

To state the obvious:

Trent Edwards is entering just his second year and first as a starter. If he is as intelligent as he appears to be and has been studying his playbook and film as much this offseason as he has said that he has, with the experience that he gained last season, he should make a noticeable step forward this season.

But, since the Bills are only halfway through their OTAs and we really haven't had a chance to see Edwards in any kind of live action (indeed, all we have had a chance to see has been a few clips taken from here and there during the OTA sessions), it's impossible to really assess how much of a step forward he has taken thus far.

Additionally, with Schonert adding new things to the offense--and it always takes time to learn and adjust to new plays and concepts, we really have no idea what the offense is going to look like, as an offense, this season because it really hasn't even begun to take shape yet. Some of the things that they are practicing now will become regular features of the offense, some of them won't--some will go on the shelf and maybe only get used in one specific game, others may be scrapped entirely.

You also have new, different personnel and people being used in different positions than they may be used during the season (with Evans not working with the team, Parrish and Reed are both working on the outside a lot, which may not be the case during a lot of the season). Having three big WRs--Hardy, Johnson and Huggins--may allow Schonert to add plays that were hardly used in last year's offense. As a result, Edwards may be asked to throw passes that he never was called on to throw last year--and we have never even seen him throw those passes yet.

It is nice to see the little clips that we are able to get of what the Bills are doing in the OTAs and to read the summaries and comments that are made about how these practices went. Very nice. But, these are nothing more than brief little flashes. And, generally taken out of context of what went on during the whole practice.

Even in training camp and during the preseason games we are probably not going to see the whole offense and how the coaches intend for it to work.

So, all we are really doing now is speculating. Speculating is fun, but at this stage of the pre-preseason there isn't a whole lot of hard information for us to base our speculations on. Personally, I like what I have seen and heard thus far, but I want to see how it all starts to fit together in the preseason before I start to draw any conclusions about what may or may not work for this team this season.

The one thing that I will say at this early stage is: this Bills team is still very young--especially at some key positions, like QB--and, like all young teams, is likely going to have some ups and downs, even as the season progresses. I would caution against getting too high when they are on an "up" part of the cycle or too down when they hit a "down" part of the cycle. Health is going to be a key for this team and every practice that they are able to get through without anyone getting hurt at this point will be a positive.

For the rest, we will see how things progress and unfold once the pads go on and the team gets a chance to face some hostile opposition.

Historian
06-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Just keep the chains moving.

It doesn't have to look pretty.

shelby
06-01-2008, 07:11 AM
It is nice to see the little clips that we are able to get of what the Bills are doing in the OTAs and to read the summaries and comments that are made about how these practices went. Very nice. But, these are nothing more than brief little flashes. And, generally taken out of context of what went on during the whole practice.

Even in training camp and during the preseason games we are probably not going to see the whole offense and how the coaches intend for it to work.

So, all we are really doing now is speculating. Speculating is fun, but at this stage of the pre-preseason there isn't a whole lot of hard information for us to base our speculations on. Personally, I like what I have seen and heard thus far, but I want to see how it all starts to fit together in the preseason before I start to draw any conclusions about what may or may not work for this team this season.

The one thing that I will say at this early stage is: this Bills team is still very young--especially at some key positions, like QB--and, like all young teams, is likely going to have some ups and downs, even as the season progresses. I would caution against getting too high when they are on an "up" part of the cycle or too down when they hit a "down" part of the cycle. Health is going to be a key for this team and every practice that they are able to get through without anyone getting hurt at this point will be a positive.

For the rest, we will see how things progress and unfold once the pads go on and the team gets a chance to face some hostile opposition.

Excellent point.....we are all understandably excited with the new additions to the team, but LBF is right....we are a young team who should improve on last years' 7-9 record, but there may be plenty of disappointment on the way.

gr8slayer
06-01-2008, 01:22 PM
As long as we improve upon our 7-9 record it's hard to be too critical. Each of the last two years we've slowly but surely gotten better and better. Hopefully this year it all culminates in a play-off appearance and maybe more.

HHURRICANE
06-01-2008, 02:54 PM
LTBF, I was just looking at last years games. It's May and I realize that we won't know much until pre-season.

Trent just impressed with this part of his game.

PECKERWOOD
06-01-2008, 10:46 PM
:lmao:

NOBODY CAUGHT MY SARCASM!!!!

People actually believe that Trent is the QB of the future, this place is hilarious.

Romes
06-01-2008, 11:02 PM

People actually believe that Trent is the QB of the future, this place is hilarious.

What leads you to believe that he won't be?

Philagape
06-01-2008, 11:27 PM

The eloquence of your sentiment is very compelling.

djjimkelly
06-01-2008, 11:28 PM
What leads you to believe that he won't be?

whats makes you so sure hes a lock

ive pointed out a ton of things why i think trent will never be.

coaching will be main issue

Romes
06-01-2008, 11:46 PM
whats makes you so sure hes a lock

ive pointed out a ton of things why i think trent will never be.

coaching will be main issue

I've never said he was a lock. I'm not arguing in favor of trent I am just wondering why you and other already think he won't be.

but what about coaching? why will it derail his career?

djjimkelly
06-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I've never said he was a lock. I'm not arguing in favor of trent I am just wondering why you and other already think he won't be.

but what about coaching? why will it derail his career?

i know our coaching is a joke for one

and on trent i know he wont be for several reasons. i dont care people say he was on a bad stanford team. im sorry in college QB's make their team a force when they are actually good qb's. he couldnt win games in college.

last year he won a few games here where i could have been the qb almost where the D won the games.

i called his december swoon last year. im calling a 2008 that will be dreadful

god help him if lynch cant play this year. it will make it even worse.

he made 1 solid throw vs the skins last year IMO

and yes i watch each game 2-3 times off my tivo every week.

hopefully he bunks out real fast so we can watch the better qb.

then ill even go so far as to say hopefully the whole team bunks out so we can get a better HC.

im to a point where bills football of the last 10 years basically sickens me.

and everytime we start moving forward someone derails it. from within the organization this will be no different.

his completion % his QB rating arent the best on this team other players in locker room call for the other qb i think they know better then a few arrogant fans on the billszone who are trying to force feed us this 3rd round qb who cant stay healthy is a 50% passer and IMO a joke. i want losman to be the answer here he probably wont be. but no one will be till the coaching staff is gone DICK jauron blows

im4bflo
06-02-2008, 12:12 AM
:rolleyes:

Romes
06-02-2008, 01:37 AM

and on trent i know he wont be for several reasons. i dont care people say he was on a bad stanford team. im sorry in college QB's make their team a force when they are actually good qb's. he couldnt win games in college.

last year he won a few games here where i could have been the qb almost where the D won the games.

then ill even go so far as to say hopefully the whole team bunks out so we can get a better HC.

and everytime we start moving forward someone derails it. from within the organization this will be no different.

his completion % his QB rating arent the best on this team other players in locker room call for the other qb i think they know better then a few arrogant fans on the billszone who are trying to force feed us this 3rd round qb who cant stay healthy is a 50% passer and IMO a joke. i want losman to be the answer here he probably wont be. but no one will be till the coaching staff is gone DICK jauron blows

so, what if Edwards does well this year?

Historian
06-02-2008, 07:10 AM
I think he's going to turn some heads this year.

justasportsfan
06-02-2008, 10:50 AM

WTF are you talking about? Even Stevie Wonder can see that you're wrong!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SOtfCNpNWDM&feature=related

THATHURMANATOR
06-02-2008, 10:56 AM
HHURRICANE WRONG AGAIN.

The Answer
06-02-2008, 11:28 AM
How do you know they wanted JP to improve on that again?

Basing this on the Jets game where he underthrew a 6inches on an 80 yarder?

This has got to be the stupidest knock on him.

Eli does it and wins the superbowl and it was heralded
as a great play on eli's part.

Trent style of play better improve from field goals to Td's we should no longer be focusing on JP here.

Jp is the back up.

Trents play is not to credit for yac it is wr and the type of play called...crossing routes being one.

We want to credit WR's for saving JP on a play and then credit Trent for a WR who skirts a db and runs his ass off.

Bizzarro world.

Get it through your head - Trent is entering his 2nd year and you can't judge his mechanics yet until we know if he has improved, digressed or stayed the same.

Losman was a 4th year player last year and his mechanics were terrible and obviously he digressed from his 2006 campaign and that is why he is finished in Buffalo and likely will never get a starting QB job anywhere else.

~The Answer

The Answer
06-02-2008, 11:32 AM

Nobody knows what he have in Schonert yet since obviously he has never been an offensive coordinator in this league.

Looking at his track record as a QB coach, I'll admit I wasn't exactly thrilled by this move. But at least he is going to let Edwards audible and change plays on the fly - which should enable an intelligent QB to make plays, when in years past they would have ended up a wasted play or turnover.

Bottom line - I'm giving Schonert one year only, if we end up being as bad as we last year (or even worse if that is possible) than's he history!

~The Answer

justasportsfan
06-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Losman was a 4th year player last year and his mechanics were terrible and obviously he digressed from his 2006 campaign and that is why he is finished in Buffalo and likely will never get a starting QB job anywhere else.

~The Answer

You spelled the name and years wrong . It's spelled H-O-L-C-O-M-B and it's 12 years

acehole
06-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Get it through your head - Trent is entering his 2nd year and you can't judge his mechanics yet until we know if he has improved, digressed or stayed the same.

~The Answer

Hmm can't judge....

Manning/elway ring any bells to you?

Anyway you response has nothing to do with my post.

As bad as you talk about JP..... Edwards was worse...so you
might want to pull back on the bust comments.

acehole
06-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Nobody knows what he have in Schonert yet since obviously he has never been an offensive coordinator in this league.

Looking at his track record as a QB coach, I'll admit I wasn't exactly thrilled by this move. But at least he is going to let Edwards audible and change plays on the fly - which should enable an intelligent QB to make plays, when in years past they would have ended up a wasted play or turnover.

Bottom line - I'm giving Schonert one year only, if we end up being as bad as we last year (or even worse if that is possible) than's he history!

~The Answer

Oh jeeze...dilusions of granduer?

The Answer gives "Schonert one year..."

We will let them know at one bills drive what you declared.

I give Edwards 4-5 games...if he stinkes it up the team will be lobbing for a change.

Count on it.

As much as they like Edwards they will not risk there last coaching job on potiential.

Sconert will be fine...if he isnt the lot of them might be gone....including Lee Evans.

The Answer
06-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Hmm can't judge....

Manning/elway ring any bells to you?

Anyway you response has nothing to do with my post.

As bad as you talk about JP..... Edwards was worse...so you
might want to pull back on the bust comments.

Manning was 3-13 his rookie year and looked dowright horrible at times, and what does this have to do with anything?

You can make all of the 'Edwards was worse statistically than JP' comments all you like, but it still don't take away from the fact that one was a rookie who won 5 games, and the other was a 4 year veteran that won 2 games and looked really bad in the ones he lost.

~The Answer

The Answer
06-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Oh jeeze...dilusions of granduer?

The Answer gives "Schonert one year..."

We will let them know at one bills drive what you declared.

I give Edwards 4-5 games...if he stinkes it up the team will be lobbing for a change.

Count on it.

As much as they like Edwards they will not risk there last coaching job on potiential.

Sconert will be fine...if he isnt the lot of them might be gone....including Lee Evans.

Losman isn't even going to be on this team in 2008 so it really don't matter. If there is a QB controversy it will be with Edwards/Hamden/Whatever veteran we sign in the next few months, etc.

~The Answer

acehole
06-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Losman isn't even going to be on this team in 2008 so it really don't matter. If there is a QB controversy it will be with Edwards/Hamden/Whatever veteran we sign in the next few months, etc.

~The Answer

He is on the team and it is 2008..

wrong once again.

acehole
06-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Manning was 3-13 his rookie year and looked dowright horrible at times, and what does this have to do with anything?

You can make all of the 'Edwards was worse statistically than JP' comments all you like, but it still don't take away from the fact that one was a rookie who won 5 games, and the other was a 4 year veteran that won 2 games and looked really bad in the ones he lost.

~The Answer

Well you were telling me it is too early to place judgement (Which I agree with)and the compare him to manning and elway in other threads...

If look at trents part in those wins...you wont see much...except the worst qbing in the league...Philagape want to count fieldgoals for trent pionts...fine...

We will see if trents "Style" will translate into win this season or help the offense....his "Style" resulted in the worst qbing last year.......everything else is based on hope....not facts.

That never stopped your arguements however.

The Answer
06-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Well you were telling me it is too early to place judgement (Which I agree with)and the compare him to manning and elway in other threads...

If look at trents part in those wins...you wont see much...except the worst qbing in the league...Philagape want to count fieldgoals for trent pionts...fine...

We will see if trents "Style" will translate into win this season or help the offense....his "Style" resulted in the worst qbing last year.......everything else is based on hope....not facts.

That never stopped your arguements however.

Losman barely beat the 1-15 dolphins, Trent demolished them throwing 4 TD's in the process.

Trent also beat a playoff team on the road with a sensational 4th quarter comeback in Washington. Might I also add that team was jacked up beyond belief considering they lost their star player to a murder the week before?

Trent also looked solid in 2 games against the jets, as well as a win against the ravens.

Trent also played fairly well in the MNF game despite the interception play that should have never been called in the first place by the idiot offensive coach.

JP on the other hand, the bigger the game - the worst he looked. We could have easily lost against the bengals despite a 'good game' from losman.

Bottom line...a 5-4 record by a rookie in the AFC is pretty good. However a 2-5 record by a veteran that was supposed to take the next step was unacceptable.

JP's time is over whether his fanbase wants to accept logic and facts or not. Please just accept it like the majority of your peers have.

~The Answer

~The Answer

acehole
06-02-2008, 04:57 PM
What does this have to do with the topic?

"Trents style helping the offense."

We beat the Bengals handily.

JP cleaned up Trent mess in the meadowlands.

The Jags are a great team...and JP did not fair well against the d-line....niether did anyone on the Bills team in that game. We were out classed in every phase.

At some piont you will have to start talking
about Trent and not JP...he is the back up.

Trent is a big boy and a starting qb in the NFL.

With few holes on an offense.

And remember what philagape has stated
"When assecing the qb one must "Only look at the qb"

We will see how this holds up during the season.....

JP will be on the bench.....I am sure you will find a way to bring him in the argument.

Losman barely beat the 1-15 dolphins, Trent demolished them throwing 4 TD's in the process.

Trent also beat a playoff team on the road with a sensational 4th quarter comeback in Washington. Might I also add that team was jacked up beyond belief considering they lost their star player to a murder the week before?

Trent also looked solid in 2 games against the jets, as well as a win against the ravens.

Trent also played fairly well in the MNF game despite the interception play that should have never been called in the first place by the idiot offensive coach.

JP on the other hand, the bigger the game - the worst he looked. We could have easily lost against the bengals despite a 'good game' from losman.

Bottom line...a 5-4 record by a rookie in the AFC is pretty good. However a 2-5 record by a veteran that was supposed to take the next step was unacceptable.

JP's time is over whether his fanbase wants to accept logic and facts or not. Please just accept it like the majority of your peers have.

~The Answer

~The Answer

acehole
06-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Wow all that excuse making and yet still the worst starting qb in the league last year.......

Why doesnt reality care how you feel about trent?

~The Answer

~The Answer

im4bflo
06-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Gimme more LOSMAN to EVANS baby, YEAH!!! :up: