PDA

View Full Version : Murphy learning offensive tackle

YardRat
06-02-2008, 06:02 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/360620.html

Buffalo Bills veteran Matt Murphy has survived six seasons in the NFL despite the fact he has caught only three passes from his tight end position.

In a business where the average career is just a little over three seasons, Murphy has beaten the odds.

“I was a seventh-round pick, so I thank God every day,” Murphy said after a Bills minicamp practice last week. “It’s a great career. It’s great for your family. It’s fun to do. I can’t be any more blessed than I am.”

Murphy is aiming to beat the odds again this year by successfully switching positions. The Bills have converted him from tight end to offensive tackle, an experiment that began last season.

If it’s successful, it’s likely to significantly lengthen Murphy’s career.
“It’s going well,” Murphy said. “I just thought whatever way allows me to get on the field more, that’s what I’ll do. I like playing tight end. That’s what I’ve always done. But I just want to play. If I can contribute more, I have no problem with it.”

Jan Reimers
06-02-2008, 07:09 AM
We really need depth at tackle. Hopefully Murphy and/or Bell will provide some help. I'm not that sold on Kirk Chambers.

Historian
06-02-2008, 07:11 AM
What are his physical stats?

6 5 290?

Still a work in progress.

mysticsoto
06-02-2008, 08:17 AM
What are his physical stats?

6 5 290?

Still a work in progress.

Last I heard, he was in the 270s I think. Still a bit low for a tackle, but Murphy has been working steadily to get there and the FO seems to like him alot. Considering that they had great success with converting Peters, I think they probably see the same scenario with Murphy and he seems very willing. The great thing is that he seems to be packing lean muscle onto his frame also and not just going to all you can eat buffets. Hopefully he'll retain his speed/quickness like Peters did and will make a better backup than what Chambers showed last year!

TigerJ
06-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Article states he was at 275 last season and has bulked up to 290 to this point and thinks he can hit 300 by training camp without a problem. Article states he has a large frame, ong arms, and good feet for the position. The question is can he get his technique down well enough? It helps that he's smart. And it didn't take Peters too long.

YardRat
06-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Looking for lightening to strike twice is a bit much if you ask me.

mysticsoto
06-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Looking for lightening to strike twice is a bit much if you ask me.

He doesn't have to be the next probowl tackle. If he's better than Chambers, that's good enough...

jamze132
06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
If he only allows 2 sacks per game, then that should be a significant improvement over Chambers.