• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Athletes learn money lessons the hard way

The NFL Players Association estimates at least 60 percent of athletes go broke within their first five years after retirement.

Buffalo Bills lineman Derrick Dockery, 27, is going to make sure that does not happen to him.

There was a time when he wasted money on jewelry and big-boy toys as he waited for his next paycheck. But he credits his wife Emma, 26, for putting a stop to that.

His wife, whom he met in college at the University of Texas, majored in investment banking.

With Emma's help, he was able to make wiser financial investments instead of squandering their future.

"I was young and just happy. This was the first time I had something like that," said Dockery, who signed a $49 million contract with the Buffalo Bills last year.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: Athletes learn money lessons the hard way

Nice to have an investment banker as a wife...still...you would think 49 mill would last at least a little while, huh?

Especially in a town as depressed as Buffalo.

Comment

• Luisito23
      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
      • Apr 2003

Of course she doesn't want him to spend all his loot.....If he goes broke now, who will pay for her alimony later???....:
      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

A few years back, Eric Moulds took his SUV/Hummer in to a local well known stereo shop to have it customized with a 10K system. Soon after, about 7-8 other Bills showed up, wanting the same system. My cousin ran the place.

I remember Raion Hill being one of the guys but almost all were marginal roster players making the minimum. Most all were gone within a year. I remember my cousin wondering why these guys were blowing so much $$ on crap, when they would be lucky to make the team.

They think 80-100 K equals 10 Mil.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Luisito23
          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
          • Apr 2003

Plain stupidity NT!....
          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Luisito23
            Plain stupidity NT!....
            and during that time, Moulds was stiffing some of his girlfriends on child support.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

And to think...all that stereo equiptment is outdated now...

Comment

Working...
              X