PDA

View Full Version : PFW Whispers on Peters contract

The Answer
06-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I agree 100% - no new contract this year for Peters.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/whispers053108.htm

Bills Pro Bowl OLT Jason Peters has been absent from the team’s voluntary offseason program as he seeks a renegotiated contract. But unlike the situation with teammate Lee Evans, who will likely receive a raise before the start of training camp, the chance of Peters being granted his wish is not nearly as strong — at least not this offseason. With three years remaining on a deal he signed in 2006, the Bills are willing to wait at least another year before extending their star offensive lineman. Peters is due to earn a sum that’s below market value but still respectable at $4 million per year, if he reaches all incentives, so there’s little chance that Peters will hold out if the Bills balk at his request.

~The Answer

feelthepain
06-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Big mistsake, they have the money, they need to pay the man.

THATHURMANATOR
06-02-2008, 11:13 AM
I agree with FTP.

justasportsfan
06-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree with FTP

Mitchy moo
06-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I agree with FTP. (ftp://ftp.)

Heresy.

Mitchy moo
06-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I agree with FTP

heresy X 2.

Mitchy moo
06-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Big mistsake, they have the money, they need to pay the man.

We'll just pay everyone bigger money that has a good season with 3 years left on their contract and set a presidence for it from here on out, I mean think about it man. The guy is making $4 Million this year, he is not in a terrible spot NFL wise on money there. One more great year / Pro Bowl and we send him the house. We need to fork up big money down for Lee this season and Peters the next.

madness
06-02-2008, 12:14 PM
He'll get paid... he just needs to be patient and wait in line.

yordad
06-02-2008, 12:18 PM
I agree with madness.

TacklingDummy
06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
I agree with madness.

Michael82
06-02-2008, 12:22 PM
He'll get paid... he just needs to be patient and wait in line.
:hi5:

Behind both Lee Evans and Angelo Crowell who should both have priority over him.

The Answer
06-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't understand why some people think we should give a player, who is still unproven to a certain degree, an even bigger contract when we have him locked up already.

Peters has no leverage and both he and his agent know that. He is also coming off a major injury and has had other injury concerns in the past.

Shut your mouth, come to camp and have a dominant 2008 campaign and then OBD will show you the money!

~The Answer

Michael82
06-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't understand why some people think we should give a player, who is still unproven to a certain degree, an even bigger contract when we have him locked up already.

Peters has no leverage and both he and his agent know that. He is also coming off a major injury and has had other injury concerns in the past.

Shut your mouth, come to camp and have a dominant 2008 campaign and then OBD will show you the money!

~The Answer
Exactly! The injury part is the main reason why I'd wait. If he was never hurt, i would still put him behind Evans and Crowell. Then give a new deal this year during the season.

OpIv37
06-02-2008, 12:30 PM
if the Bills don't pay him, they're going to regret it next off-season when they have to pay him premier LT salary and cram all that guaranteed money into two years because of the lack of a CBA. a

Michael82
06-02-2008, 12:33 PM
I agree with FTP
justafan actually agrees withe FTP?!?! :shocked: :faint:

This will come back to bite you. :ill:

TacklingDummy
06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
if the Bills don't pay him, they're going to regret it next off-season when they have to pay him premier LT salary and cram all that guaranteed money into two years because of the lack of a CBA. a

He still has 3 years left on his contract. After that the Bills could always tag him. Peters is going no where.

If Peters wants to holdout all he is doing is hurting the team and his pocketbook.

Saratoga Slim
06-02-2008, 01:04 PM

They're already going to have to pay him premier LT money. He made the Pro Bowl. Another great year and we'll likely have to pay him a little more, but his market value is already pretty high on the ladder. I'm not convinced that we'll get all that better a deal by signing him now.

And I agree that it's not asking a lot for him to play out one more year of a contract he signed so recently as 2006. It's not fair that he's getting less than Walker, but he's got the chance to make $4 m this season. Even if its below market value, it's still respectable cash--respectable enough to play for another season under the deal he agreed to.

justasportsfan
06-02-2008, 01:05 PM
justafan actually agrees withe FTP?!?! :shocked: :faint:

This will come back to bite you. :ill:
i was typing that with my fingers crossed and then had some pull my finger and now I'm back to normal.

I Agree with the Answer .

OpIv37
06-02-2008, 01:07 PM
They're already going to have to pay him premier LT money. He made the Pro Bowl. Another great year and we'll likely have to pay him a little more, but his market value is already pretty high on the ladder. I'm not convinced that we'll get all that better a deal by signing him now.

And I agree that it's not asking a lot for him to play out one more year of a contract he signed so recently as 2006. It's not fair that he's getting less than Walker, but he's got the chance to make $4 m this season. Even if its below market value, it's still respectable cash--respectable enough to play for another season under the deal he agreed to.

but without a CBA, after 2010, salary raises are capped at a fairly modest amount (I forgot what the exact number is). So players are looking for guaranteed money over the next two years (see the Evans thread). If the Bills sign Peters now, they can distribute that money over 3 years- if they wait until next year, they're going to have to spread it over 2 years and risk a holdout.

Mitchy moo
06-02-2008, 01:19 PM
but without a CBA, after 2010, salary raises are capped at a fairly modest amount (I forgot what the exact number is). So players are looking for guaranteed money over the next two years (see the Evans thread). If the Bills sign Peters now, they can distribute that money over 3 years- if they wait until next year, they're going to have to spread it over 2 years and risk a holdout.

You're then going to have every player that has a good year holdout until they get paid more. What is the use of a contract if no one is going to follow it?

Setting stupid presidences is going to lead to more stupidity. Trent then throws for 4,000 yards this season and we make the conference finals, should we redecorate him as well.

I'll quote the term now, redecorating. Redoing something that is done but one person wants to try to better it even if it doesn't need to be bettered.

Devin
06-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Pay the man.

Not only do we drive the price up by waiting, but hes been improving every season.......not just a little either.

Say what is the going rate for a young, starting, pro-bowl left tackle?

No youre right lets wait and let him do it again and pay him way more!

Pay the man.

justasportsfan
06-02-2008, 01:26 PM
we showed Kelsay, Walker, Dockery and Schobel Da money! Peters should get his .

OpIv37
06-02-2008, 01:28 PM
You're then going to have every player that has a good year holdout until they get paid more. What is the use of a contract if no one is going to follow it?

Setting stupid presidences is going to lead to more stupidity. Trent then throws for 4,000 yards this season and we make the conference finals, should we redecorate him as well.

I'll quote the term now, redecorating. Redoing something that is done but one person wants to try to better it even if it doesn't need to be bettered.

yeah setting the precedent of paying players for performance is pretty stupid... :rolleyes:

one of the reasons why players don't come to Buffalo or leave Buffalo is because the team DOESN'T reward players for performance: Winfield, Clements, Pat Williams come to mind? We pay guys like Schobel but let the true difference-makers slip through our fingers.

Peters is underpaid relative to our OL and relative to other LT's in the league. Most of us would be looking for another job if that were the case at our places of employment, but he doesn't have that option. Do you really want a disgruntled player protecting the QB's blind side?

feelthepain
06-02-2008, 01:29 PM
We'll just pay everyone bigger money that has a good season with 3 years left on their contract and set a presidence for it from here on out, I mean think about it man. The guy is making $4 Million this year, he is not in a terrible spot NFL wise on money there. One more great year / Pro Bowl and we send him the house. We need to fork up big money down for Lee this season and Peters the next.

There's something wrong with the philosophy that say's Dereck Dockery and Langston Walker should be making what they'er making espically if they're making more then Peters. When Peters signed his contract he wasn't the player his is now. Neither Dockery or Walker should be making anywhere near what they're making. Peters should be making more.

Michael82
06-02-2008, 01:52 PM
ummm, they aren't a team that distributes money over more than 1 year anyways. So that new rule won't impact them. Don't they like to use the cash to the cap thing where they count his whole bonus and salary in the first year?

Mitchy moo
06-02-2008, 01:58 PM
ummm, they aren't a team that distributes money over more than 1 year anyways. So that new rule won't impact them. Don't they like to use the cash to the cap thing where they count his whole bonus and salary in the first year?

Exactly, they do not drag things out over years. The Bills put big money down and pay a smaller salary over a multi-year period, kinda like what we did for Peters already.

OpIv37
06-02-2008, 02:12 PM

guaranteed money- different than a signing bonus.

jamze132
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I agree with FTP.
me too...

casdhf
06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
They'll have a plan in place by 2010.

Dr. Lecter
06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
1. Lee Evans
2. Angelo Crowell
3. Jason Peters.

Peters can be done during the season and applied to next years cap if necessary.

Do it in that order.

OpIv37
06-02-2008, 02:51 PM
They'll have a plan in place by 2010.

well I hope you're right but with Gene Upshaw I'm not so sure.

Regardless, players and agents aren't willing to take that chance. They're going to be looking for guaranteed money between now and 2010 just in case the issues can't be resolved.

Buckets
06-02-2008, 02:57 PM
OK so we pay the man. Then he has a monsterous season and wants more (leagues best) next year whats to stop him? His new contract? Oh wait a minute he already has one that he doesn't want to honor.

OpIv37
06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
OK so we pay the man. Then he has a monsterous season and wants more (leagues best) next year whats to stop him? His new contract? Oh wait a minute he already has one that he doesn't want to honor.

the slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy, plus the fact that he knows he'll wear out his welcome, and if his contract is worth more, he has more to lose by holding out a second time.

Buckets
06-02-2008, 03:24 PM
The fact is we have an undrafted free agent making 4 mil in his what 4th season. He has been treated very well by OBD to this point. Let him be patient. as far as him wearing out his welcome, by the responses on this board some think its already wearing a bit.

streetkings01
06-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Lock up Evans and Crowell this season and worry about Peters next season.

justasportsfan
06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Lock up Evans and Crowell this season and worry about Peters next season.

If Trent lights it up, we may have to worry about him too.

The Answer
06-02-2008, 04:40 PM
If Trent lights it up, we may have to worry about him too.

If he turns out to be the QB that some us hope - I'm pretty sure he will be wearing a Bills uniform his entire career regardless of what the price tag may be.

~The Answer

YardRat
06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
A Pro Bowl LT should be a priority over a WR or LB every day of the week. If Peters isn't #1 priority right now, he should at least be #1A.

Give the man some money...He's earned it.

streetkings01
06-02-2008, 05:49 PM
A Pro Bowl LT should be a priority over a WR or LB every day of the week. If Peters isn't #1 priority right now, he should at least be #1A.

Give the man some money...He's earned it.Not if he just signed a new deal 2 years ago and still has 3 yrs left! Thats like Lynch making the Pro Bowl this season and asking for a new contract right after the season is over!

Al the Bills Fan
06-02-2008, 08:09 PM
He will get paid, When? This year, next year, who knows?

If they gave him a new contract this year they may save money if he makes the Pro Bowl again this season but they run the risk that he is not %100 healthy.

If they him next year, they can focus on Evans. That being said, if he does indeed make the Pro Bowl again we will pay out of the rear-end.

Either way he needs to be sign, if they do wrong by him then we will all cry as we watch him walk out the door in 3 years.

Oaf
06-03-2008, 09:29 PM
If we give him an extension now, he'll be asking for another in two years.