• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Bruccccccccccccccceeeeee.....

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Re: Bruccccccccccccccceeeeee.....

Comment

• billsburgh
      • Jul 2003

he's only #4? WTF

Comment

• LABillsFan
        • Aug 2002

Is he dead? Is he dead? He killed boomer.
        I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Throne Logic
          Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
          • Aug 2002

Who were the top 3? LT wasn't a DE. I'll give you Reggie White. Who were the other two?
          Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Throne Logic
            Who were the top 3? LT wasn't a DE. I'll give you Reggie White. Who were the other two?
            Deacon Jones better be #1 or that whole thing is a farce.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Dujek
              Hall of Fame Zoner
              • Jan 2008

The word legend doesn't even begin to do justice to Bruce Smith.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                • Apr 2004

It wasn't limited to DE's. The list was made for the best pass rushers of all time, and LT certainly falls into that category. I'm guessing the other one was Derrick Thomas. The best measure of pass rushing IMHO is sack numbers per season over a career, which means they do it year in and year out. Sacks per season would be a great measure of this and the rankings including Randle would be:
                1. Reggie White - 13.1
                2. Derrick Thomas - 11.5
                3. Kevin Greene - 10.7
                4. Bruce Smith -10.5
                5. Lawrence Taylor - 10.2
                6. John Randle - 9.8

I submit that if I was a coach and I needed a sack and I could only choose one of these guys to put in, I'd flip a coin between Reggie and Bruce.
                The most amazing thing is that all the best pass rushers seemed to come into the league at about the same time. You might remember this was about the time they started putting in measures to protect QB's. They were so good, the league had to stack the rules against them! Of course, thay all juiced, though.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                  My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Night Train
                  He would definitely be one of -if not the best- DE's ever, and you would have to consider Too Tall Jones, too. They don't have pass rush stats that far back and I cannot pretend to know those details.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

I love these kinds of lists which basically ignore anyone who played before 1980.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ronholm78
                      • Mar 2006

There is no bigger Bruce Smith fan then me......That made my day......78 forever......I can't wait to be in Canton
                      From Grand Forks to Buffalo.....Bills #78 Lives forever!!!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                        Roways rooking ahread!
                        • Sep 2005

Bruucceeeeeeeeeeeee............

Comment

• Luisito23
                          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                          • Apr 2003

Way to bump basically all your threads Skooby....
                          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Night Train
                            Without a doubt!

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            I love these kinds of lists which basically ignore anyone who played before 1980.
                            Sad, but true.

The top two DEs in my book are Deacon Jones and, then, Reggie White.

I know that Bills fans don't want to hear this name, but one guy whose sack numbers in his prime would earn him some consideration as a pass rushing DE is Mark Gastineau.

Another would be Charles Haley. Also, the DE for the '86 Bears--he was a terror for a couple of years before he got hurt.

If you're going to look at Too Tall Jones, you also have to consider Fred Dryer, Jack Youngblood and Dwight White (who just recently passed away).

And, then, there is Michael Strahan whose sack numbers are right up there with Bruce Smith's.

Personally, I think that it is hard to rank players over time because the game and, in some instances, the rules have changed over the decades. For example, a DE playing today, with the rule changes that have favored the passing game, is going to have more opportunities to get sacks, but the rules protecting the QBs have made some of the things that a DE could do to get a sack in the past a penalty.

When Deacon Jones played, head-slapping the offensive lineman was legal and O-linemen could not use their hands or extend their arms in blocking. And, if he got to the QB, he could try to take the QB's head off. But, on the other hand, a lot of the better teams, following the Green Bay model (and later the Miami model) ran the ball a lot and didn't pass much. How do you compare his stats (or those of Dryer, Youngblood and D.White) to those of Haley or Smith or any of the players playing the game today?

I find that hard to do at a certain point. I just know that the two most consistently dominant DEs--DEs that opposing teams feared and had to game-plan for every time out--that I have ever seen were The Deacon (Jones) and The Minister (R.White).

I also consider pass-rushing OLBs, like LT, D.Thomas, K.Greene, S.Merriman, etc. in an entirely different category than the DEs who played on the line with their hand down on the ground all of the time.
                            Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• njsue
                              Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                              • Sep 2003

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I have his original jersey's both home and away. Cost me a lump sum. They are both in frames. The home one is signed by Bruce when I went to Fredonia training camp 1996.

Do you remember this commercial with Dennis Hopper. BAD THINGS MAN!!

Comment

Working...
                              X