PDA

View Full Version : What I Love Most about this team..

patmoran2006
06-04-2008, 03:26 PM
This may turn out to be one of the team's most stacked defensive units in recent memory, and certainly the most since 1993.

Not only does the team have top-notch talent in guys like Marcus Stroud and Aaron Schobel up front, the unit is loaded with something the team hasn't had in years--- tremendous depth.

Schobel and Kelsay start up front and should be aided tremendously by the addition of Stroud. If McCargo even comes close to amounting what a first round selection should play like this year, this unit should be solid. There's also not just good, but proven depth upfront with Spencer Johnson. Kyle Williams has been a starter and will be much more effective coming off the bench than Jason Jefferson was last year. Greg Ellis was a smart pick as the team plans on having him emulate what Anthony Hargrove once did- become a disruption in the backfield (and hopefully unlike Hargrove, not one off the field as well).

The linebacking should be greatly improved. The addition of Mitchell is a big one, not just because he's an upgrade over Keith Ellison on the field, but because he also brings great leadership to a team badly in need of it. Mitchell is one of the few proven winners on this team and his value should go beyond just numbers. Crowell is on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowl calibre OLB and will be even better with more talent surrounding him. Of course, the Bills may want to take notice of that this summer and extend him before the season, as he's going into the final year of his deal. Posluszny looked very good in limited action before the injury last year. Stroud should free up blockers from putting a helmet on him every play, alllowing him to be more of an impact player. He still needs to improve in pass coverage but is smart enough to do that over time. While Ellison and DiGiorgio aren't good enough to be starters, they provide excellent, proven depth off the bench.

Perhaps the most exciting part of this defense will be the secondary. Leodis McKelvin has the ability to have a Darelle Reevis-like impact on the unit early on. He'll probably start the year as a nickelback, but it won't be long before he's in the staring lineup and eventually, the number one corner. This will help take some pressure off Terrence McGee, who's regarded around the league as very underated. Jabrari Greer and Will James give this team four very capable corners (bye bye Youboty), something the club hasn't had in a very long time, and needs to compete against the likes of New England. Ko Simpson is healthy and has looked great in OTA's so far. He has the ability to be a ball hawk, a poor man's Ed Reed. The key for him is obviously staying healthy. Donte Whitner has emerged as a leader off the field. It's time for him to start being one on it. His stat-line looks good in terms of tackles through his first two years, but his impact plays (interceptions, sacks, forced fumbles, key breakups) has been minimal to say the least. Going into his third year, I expect him to really grow into an impact safety this season. George Wilson and Bart Scott provide above average depth. OVerall, this secondary is potentially as good as its been since the days of Winfield/Clements starting at the corners.

Injuries always play a factor in a team's success, but I think that last year has us much better prepared for 2008 when/if injuries occur. Guys like Wilson and DiGiorgio got valuable experience and are now very capable of stepping in when needed. Greer and Spencer Johnson have already contributed solidly and will play a big role, off the bench or not. And Eillison and Williams, while not good enough to be starters, are fine role players off the bench.

In my opinion, the only thing that needs to happen for this team to LEGIMITATELY contend for a playoff spot is not **** things up offensively. That is the single-most reason why I like Trent Edwards more than Losman. While Trent will never be another Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, he's more than capable of managing a game, keeping the chains moving, and with better talent around him (Hardy perhaps) converting more red zone trips into touchdowns. I expect him to take a major leap this season.

And the passing game doesn't have to mirror the San Diego Chargers of the early 80's. We have a great, versatile running back in Marhsawn Lynch. He's already shown the ability to run people over on the field (and off it as well, "allegedly") and new coordinator Turk Schonert insists he's goign to be a much bigger part of the passing game.

I'm doing something I haven't done in five years. With the talent and enormous depth on defense, an improved Edwards and Lynch on offense, a rookie WR I think is going to be amazing (Hardy) a schedule that I perceive as favorable-- I'm predicting the Bills win 11 games in 2008 and finally make the playoffs, hosting a game as well being the 4th seed in the AFC.

Mudflap1
06-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Schobel - proven (although a down year last year)
Kelsay - proven, okay player
McCargo - not totally proven, but improved last year
Williams - solid backup
Johnson - solid backup
Stroud - proven Pro Bowl-caliber player, only "if" is injury concerns
Crowell - proven, good player
Posluszny - while we have high hopes, not a proven player
Mitchell - proven, solid player, not a star
Dig, Ellison - solid backups
Whitner - unproven as to whether he can reach his full potential
Simpson - unproven
McKelvin - unproven
McGee - proven, solid player
Greer - proven, okay player

The point is, the ceiling is high, but I'm far from shooting guns in the air in the parking lot right now. There are a lot of "ifs" at too may important areas on this defense.

Jon

patmoran2006
06-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Williams - solid backup
Johnson - solid backup
Simpson - unproven
McKelvin - unproven

The point is, the ceiling is high, but I'm far from shooting guns in the air in the parking lot right now. There are a lot of "ifs" at too may important areas on this defense.

Jon
Off the bat you got STroud and Mitchell taking over for Kyle Williams and Ellison. Then you got Pos taking over for DiGi. Those are huge upgrades.

Eventually you have McKelvin taking over in the secondary, which pushes Greer, talented in his own right, into a nickel role. Our nickel backs last year were B R U T A L.

On top of that, we have depth, and a lot of it. Former starters are now valuable backups- mainly young guys who got valuable experience and will be less overwhelmed next time their on the field.

I love this defense, especially if Stroud can stay healthy and McCargo does what I think he can do this year.

TacklingDummy
06-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Looks nice on paper.

Oaf
06-04-2008, 03:51 PM
You may want to hold on to that prediction until we hear the Lynch verdict.

feelthepain
06-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Williams - solid backup
Johnson - solid backup
Simpson - unproven
McKelvin - unproven

Jon

The ceiling is high based on...?

jamze132
06-04-2008, 04:40 PM
It's based on us actually having a good team this year. Welcome to the thread; we all know what to expect from here on out...

Bone
06-04-2008, 04:53 PM
We have the most depth of proven players then any other team in the NFL.

ScottLawrence
06-04-2008, 04:58 PM
So You're predicting we win the AFC East?

Because if we are seeded 4th, that means we won the East as a Wild Card team is either the 5th or 6th seeded team.

raphael120
06-04-2008, 05:01 PM
One of the few benefits of pretty much all your depth players being starters due to injuries...your depth gets valuable playing experience that a lot of teams backups never get.

EDS
06-04-2008, 05:05 PM
If Stroud is healthy then I think the defense can be vastly improved. If not, I think improvement can still be made, but it will be more measured.

feelthepain
06-04-2008, 06:41 PM
It's based on us actually having a good team this year. Welcome to the thread; we all know what to expect from here on out...

Really? Who says the Bills have a good team this year? Bill fans? Isn't that the same thing as a convicted murder calling himself innocent? Everyone should just believe what you think and feel, just because? How is it you go from two straight years of awful offensive and defensive rankings to a good team? It must be nice to be a good team every spring when your team never even plays 500. football.

patmoran2006
06-04-2008, 08:05 PM
4 defensive starters (Whitner, McKelvin in little time, McCargo, Posluszny) who were first or second round draft picks that are in their third year or less. Two multi-time Pro Bowlers on the DL in Schobel and Stroud... A new OLB that nearly knocked Tom Brady's head off in the Super Bowl. I can go on if you want..

djjimkelly
06-04-2008, 08:25 PM
This may turn out to be one of the team's most stacked defensive units in recent memory, and certainly the most since 1993.

Not only does the team have top-notch talent in guys like Marcus Stroud and Aaron Schobel up front, the unit is loaded with something the team hasn't had in years--- tremendous depth.

Schobel and Kelsay start up front and should be aided tremendously by the addition of Stroud. If McCargo even comes close to amounting what a first round selection should play like this year, this unit should be solid. There's also not just good, but proven depth upfront with Spencer Johnson. Kyle Williams has been a starter and will be much more effective coming off the bench than Jason Jefferson was last year. Greg Ellis was a smart pick as the team plans on having him emulate what Anthony Hargrove once did- become a disruption in the backfield (and hopefully unlike Hargrove, not one off the field as well).

The linebacking should be greatly improved. The addition of Mitchell is a big one, not just because he's an upgrade over Keith Ellison on the field, but because he also brings great leadership to a team badly in need of it. Mitchell is one of the few proven winners on this team and his value should go beyond just numbers. Crowell is on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowl calibre OLB and will be even better with more talent surrounding him. Of course, the Bills may want to take notice of that this summer and extend him before the season, as he's going into the final year of his deal. Posluszny looked very good in limited action before the injury last year. Stroud should free up blockers from putting a helmet on him every play, alllowing him to be more of an impact player. He still needs to improve in pass coverage but is smart enough to do that over time. While Ellison and DiGiorgio aren't good enough to be starters, they provide excellent, proven depth off the bench.

Perhaps the most exciting part of this defense will be the secondary. Leodis McKelvin has the ability to have a Darelle Reevis-like impact on the unit early on. He'll probably start the year as a nickelback, but it won't be long before he's in the staring lineup and eventually, the number one corner. This will help take some pressure off Terrence McGee, who's regarded around the league as very underated. Jabrari Greer and Will James give this team four very capable corners (bye bye Youboty), something the club hasn't had in a very long time, and needs to compete against the likes of New England. Ko Simpson is healthy and has looked great in OTA's so far. He has the ability to be a ball hawk, a poor man's Ed Reed. The key for him is obviously staying healthy. Donte Whitner has emerged as a leader off the field. It's time for him to start being one on it. His stat-line looks good in terms of tackles through his first two years, but his impact plays (interceptions, sacks, forced fumbles, key breakups) has been minimal to say the least. Going into his third year, I expect him to really grow into an impact safety this season. George Wilson and Bart Scott provide above average depth. OVerall, this secondary is potentially as good as its been since the days of Winfield/Clements starting at the corners.

Injuries always play a factor in a team's success, but I think that last year has us much better prepared for 2008 when/if injuries occur. Guys like Wilson and DiGiorgio got valuable experience and are now very capable of stepping in when needed. Greer and Spencer Johnson have already contributed solidly and will play a big role, off the bench or not. And Eillison and Williams, while not good enough to be starters, are fine role players off the bench.

In my opinion, the only thing that needs to happen for this team to LEGIMITATELY contend for a playoff spot is not **** things up offensively. That is the single-most reason why I like Trent Edwards more than Losman. While Trent will never be another Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, he's more than capable of managing a game, keeping the chains moving, and with better talent around him (Hardy perhaps) converting more red zone trips into touchdowns. I expect him to take a major leap this season.

And the passing game doesn't have to mirror the San Diego Chargers of the early 80's. We have a great, versatile running back in Marhsawn Lynch. He's already shown the ability to run people over on the field (and off it as well, "allegedly") and new coordinator Turk Schonert insists he's goign to be a much bigger part of the passing game.

I'm doing something I haven't done in five years. With the talent and enormous depth on defense, an improved Edwards and Lynch on offense, a rookie WR I think is going to be amazing (Hardy) a schedule that I perceive as favorable-- I'm predicting the Bills win 11 games in 2008 and finally make the playoffs, hosting a game as well being the 4th seed in the AFC.

im sorry stacked defensive units since 1993 LOL

ok lets forget about 1998 and 1999 when we was #1 in nfl and i believe #2.

those D units werent stacked lol i think it had something to do with flutie LOL:coocoo:

feelthepain
06-04-2008, 08:39 PM
4 defensive starters (Whitner, McKelvin in little time, McCargo, Posluszny) who were first or second round draft picks that are in their third year or less. Two multi-time Pro Bowlers on the DL in Schobel and Stroud... A new OLB that nearly knocked Tom Brady's head off in the Super Bowl. I can go on if you want..

All unproven much less all-pro or pro bowl talent. Just another cart before the horse thread.

jmb1099
06-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Really? Who says the Bills have a good team this year? Bill fans? Isn't that the same thing as a convicted murder calling himself innocent? Everyone should just believe what you think and feel, just because? How is it you go from two straight years of awful offensive and defensive rankings to a good team? It must be nice to be a good team every spring when your team never even plays 500. football.
Actually quite a few in the media seem to think we'll do well so now its not just bills fans. Now for the record the media guys get it wrong often, I'm sure you remember how they predicted the fins would do something and that obviously didn't happen. But for the record, its not just bills fans saying we will do well.

patmoran2006
06-04-2008, 09:15 PM
All unproven much less all-pro or pro bowl talent. Just another cart before the horse thread.
First off.. You said there wasn't a real "ceiling" for this team, and I pointed out several YOUNG starters..

As for now proven less all-pro talent? Seriously, are you ******ed.. Are Schobel and STroud both not former (and current in Schobel's case) Pro Bowlers? Mitchell isn't proven?

There's about 25 teams or more in this league that would have a bidding war for Angelo Crowell if he became a free agent tommorow, btw.

Look.. Im very unbiased and far from a homer. But there is seriously something wrong with you. Don't criticize other teams when yours is not figuratively, but LITERALLY the worst team in the entire NFL.

YardRat
06-04-2008, 09:19 PM

...the fact that the Dolphins can't even see it because they are face down on the basement floor with their ass in the air getting ready to take it from the rest of the AFC East again this year.

Batten down the hatches and pass the K-Y.

feelthepain
06-04-2008, 10:55 PM
...the fact that the Dolphins can't even see it because they are face down on the basement floor with their ass in the air getting ready to take it from the rest of the AFC East again this year.

Batten down the hatches and pass the K-Y.

Talk is cheap, just like your teams owner.

feelthepain
06-04-2008, 10:58 PM
First off.. You said there wasn't a real "ceiling" for this team, and I pointed out several YOUNG starters..

As for now proven less all-pro talent? Seriously, are you ******ed.. Are Schobel and STroud both not former (and current in Schobel's case) Pro Bowlers? Mitchell isn't proven?

There's about 25 teams or more in this league that would have a bidding war for Angelo Crowell if he became a free agent tommorow, btw.

Look.. Im very unbiased and far from a homer. But there is seriously something wrong with you. Don't criticize other teams when yours is not figuratively, but LITERALLY the worst team in the entire NFL.

So you place a high ceiling based on youth? Why is it Bill fans are the only fans allowed to talk trash without anything proven to back it up? How bout let the Bills actually have agood season before you calim they will.

Dr. Lecter
06-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Nice analysis Pat. Very good work.

I would not say 11 (you saw my thread predicting 10) wins, but nice nonetheless.

jamze132
06-05-2008, 12:19 AM
So you place a high ceiling based on youth? Why is it Bill fans are the only fans allowed to talk trash without anything proven to back it up? How bout let the Bills actually have agood season before you calim they will.
Explain to all of us what is absolutely so horrible about hoping your favorite team plays good. Your posts have a serious lack of intelligence. Do you think the Dolphins are going to be good this year?

According to FTP, what exactly is a good year? What do the Bills and Dolphins have to do in order for FTP to admit they had a good year?

Considering your 1-15 record, I would say 4-12 would be a good year for you. Us at 7-9, I would say 9-7 would be a good year.

MikeInRoch
06-05-2008, 10:11 AM
According to FTP, a good year is when you have good offensive and defensive statistics. Actual wins are not relevant.

HAMMER
06-05-2008, 12:05 PM
I have us at 11 wins also, time to shine Buffalo.

Mudflap1
06-05-2008, 12:42 PM
FTP, you are trying to wordsmith us (or at least me). I said the defense COULD be good. I didn't say they WERE good. There is a difference. I said the ceiling is high. That means that the Bills' defense has a lot of potential, but it is unproven potential. Why do they have a lot of potential? They have some Pro Bowl guys, and the rest of the defense is made up of young 1st and 2nd round draft picks, which have the highest likelihood of turning out to be good players. It hasn't happened yet, but they are in position to possibly be a good defense. That's all I'm saying. If you have a huge problem with that then go pound sand, because we can't help you. It was a reasonable statement.

Jon