PDA

View Full Version : Some DJ Love From PFT

Romes
06-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I refrained from the more vulgar title....but it was tempting

Though Paolantonio doesn’t point out any underrated head coaches (he focuses on two underrated assistants), we think that the most underrated head coach is Dick Jauron of the Bills, who has done very well despite difficult situations in Chicago, Detroit (on an interim basis), and Buffalo.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/05/fisher-lewis-overrated/

All there is to say...is if he has had difficult situations before, he shouldn't be in one now...

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 08:30 AM
of course, they fail to point out that the only common denominator in those three difficult situations is Jauron himself..... it's not that those situations were entirely his fault, but when he's 3 for 3 it's tough to believe he didn't have at least something to do with it.

justasportsfan
06-05-2008, 08:36 AM
he's been nothing but mediocre so far. Time to find out what he's got.

Romes
06-05-2008, 08:56 AM
of course, they fail to point out that the only common denominator in those three difficult situations is Jauron himself..... it's not that those situations were entirely his fault, but when he's 3 for 3 it's tough to believe he didn't have at least something to do with it.

I thought it was a funny coincidence that a few minutes after I read a negative comment about DJ from you in another thread I found this little nugget.

But anyway, I agree with you for the most part, it seems DJ gets some credit in league circles for not completely imploding in bad situations. However, that says nothing about how good he is when the cards are stacked in his favor.

Barring another rash of catastrophic injuries, he doesn't have any excuses this year.

yordad
06-05-2008, 09:05 AM
You know, I don't think he is the best game coach. I like a little more intensity. But, IMO, it would be hard to say he was at fault for his bad coaching situations.

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 09:14 AM
You know, I don't think he is the best game coach. I like a little more intensity. But, IMO, it would be hard to say he was at fault for his bad coaching situations.

I don't think it's entirely his fault, but it's also hard to say that he's entirely a victim of circumstance. Maybe he's just bad at analyzing circumstances before he accepts the job, maybe the teams in bad situations see him as an easy scapegoat, maybe he actually does cause turmoil, maybe (but not likely) he's just had really bad luck.

Unfortunately we'll never know because we'll never have that kind of insight into what happened in Detroit and Chicago and what's happening now in Buffalo.

Jan Reimers
06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
I don't know about Chicago and Buffalo, but Detroit is the classic definition of a permanent difficult situation.

bigbub2352
06-05-2008, 09:29 AM
DJ sorry to say has had his share of bad coaching, but the one thing i have seen over his coaching career is players love playing for him, but i will say this, he has a ruff time picking assistants, and also managing the clock, but he did keep the team together well with 17 players on IR, i think this is a make or break year for him

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 09:53 AM
DJ has had 1 good season as a HC, that's it. So what makes him underrated?

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 10:04 AM
DJ has had 1 good season as a HC, that's it. So what makes him underrated?

What they're trying to say, and what a lot of people here have said, is that DJ did well given the circumstances. The problem is that doing well for the circumstances is not the same as doing well overall.

I'd rather be 7-9 than, say, 4-12, so from that standpoint Jauron deserves credit. But at the end of the day, the goal isn't to be 7-9- it's to make the playoffs and win the SB. And we weren't even close in that regard. I get really frustrated when my fellow Bills fans lower the bar and start giving props for mediocrity.

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 10:25 AM
What they're trying to say, and what a lot of people here have said, is that DJ did well given the circumstances. The problem is that doing well for the circumstances is not the same as doing well overall.

I'd rather be 7-9 than, say, 4-12, so from that standpoint Jauron deserves credit. But at the end of the day, the goal isn't to be 7-9- it's to make the playoffs and win the SB. And we weren't even close in that regard. I get really frustrated when my fellow Bills fans lower the bar and start giving props for mediocrity.

Well obviously 7 wins is better then 4, but as you said what good is it if you're not making the playoffs. There are so many things that turns the 7 wins into less then it really is. 1) In those 7 wins last year only one win was against a team that wasn't considered a bad team, that was the Redskins..and they weren't really that good. 2) Is the offensive and defensive rankings, I know many here refuse to acknowledge this aspect of the Bills, but it's 2 years in a row where this was the Bills ranking. It's more a direct result of caoching then it is injury.

In DJ defense, his owners refusal to spend money makes life tougher for sure. To be so far under the cap means that your team isn't spending the money to bring in the talent. Obviously simply spending money is no guarantee for success, the Redskins are prime examples of that. However, if the money is spent wisely you can give yourself a much more realistic chance to succeed and compete. This will in turn make it eaiser to land talent in the future cause players avalible see a team willing to do what it takes to win. By not spending the money thses same players know money is more important to the organization then winning. This does affect the desire to play in Western NY.

The bottom line is DJ is 4 games below 500. as a Bills HC. In contrast, Nick Saban was only 2 games below 500. and he obviously wasn't cut out to be an NFL HC, yet Nick had at least one winning season as a HC with Gus Freotte as his QB. DJ is not underrated, he is what he is.

patmoran2006
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
You're seriously annoying, and Im usually very respectful and friendly with fans of other teams on here.

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 10:39 AM
You're seriously annoying, and Im usually very respectful and friendly with fans of other teams on here.

Oh well.

justasportsfan
06-05-2008, 10:46 AM
I'd rather be 7-9 than, say, 4-12,.
but what if 4-12 had better rankings than 7-9 :scratch:

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 10:52 AM
If you were 43 living in moms basement you might have the same demeanor.

You're just pissed off that Culpepper is his "bro" and not yours.

Romes
06-05-2008, 10:53 AM
but what if 4-12 had better rankings than 7-9 :scratch:

Personally, I'd rather be 1-15 and have good rankings then go to the conference championship game with poor rankings....

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Personally, I'd rather be 1-15 and have good rankings then go to the conference championship game with poor rankings....
/sarcasm

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Well most people whith half a brain understand 1-15 and 7-9 both result in the same thing at the end of the season. No playoffs! That's the bottom line. Great the Bills finished 7-9, but it was a wasted season nonetheless. I sure would love to know what Miami being 1-15 has to do with the fact that DJ is or isn't overrated. This is where you see all the immature Bill fans jump into the frey and refuse to stay on topic. This thread isn't about the Dolphins 1-15 record, it's about DJ and if he is or isn't underrated.

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 11:04 AM
What's funny is the basement dweller always leaves out that the Bills have ***** slapped the Dolphins the past two seasons.

The Answer
06-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I refrained from the more vulgar title....but it was tempting

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/05/fisher-lewis-overrated/

All there is to say...is if he has had difficult situations before, he shouldn't be in one now...

The time is now for Richard 'The Corpse' Jauron - and anything short of a wildcard birth in 2008 will lead to his demise IMO.

He has built the defense in his own image over the last few years, and purged this roster of the previous regimes mess. He also has his handpicked QB so there is no more excuses.

If we get off to another slow start you better believe things are going to get ugly in western NY.

~The Answer

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 11:09 AM
The time is now for Richard 'The Corpse' Jauron - and anything short of a wildcard birth in 2008 will lead to his demise IMO.

He has built the defense in his own image over the last few years, and purged this roster of the previous regimes mess. He also has his handpicked QB so there is no more excuses.

If we get off to another slow start you better believe things are going to get ugly in western NY.

~The Answer

Really? I thought Marv did most of the building, not Dick. Especially the Trent Edwards pick.

Romes
06-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Well most people whith half a brain understand 1-15 and 7-9 both result in the same thing at the end of the season. No playoffs! That's the bottom line. Great the Bills finished 7-9, but it was a wasted season nonetheless. I sure would love to know what Miami being 1-15 has to do with the fact that DJ is or isn't overrated. This is where you see all the immature Bill fans jump into the frey and refuse to stay on topic. This thread isn't about the Dolphins 1-15 record, it's about DJ and if he is or isn't underrated.

you mentioned the dolphins first in this thread.

I was responding to Justa's point on record vs rankings.

The Answer
06-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Really? I thought Marv did most of the building, not Dick. Especially the Trent Edwards pick.

The head coach always has imput in personel decisions.

In fact I'm pretty sure that Nick Saban was responsible for causing most of the mess down in Miami the last few years.

~The Answer

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 11:28 AM

In fact I'm pretty sure that Nick Saban was responsible for causing most of the mess down in Miami the last few years.

~The Answer
It wasn't a mess, don't you remember when FTP was calling him the savior?

justasportsfan
06-05-2008, 11:29 AM
It wasn't a mess, don't you remember when FTP was calling him the savior?
there's also , MUlarkey, Bennie , Aj Feeley etc,etc.

Lets not forget Dearest Daunte.

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 11:36 AM
there's also , MUlarkey, Bennie , Aj Feeley etc,etc.

Lets not forget Dearest Daunte.
Oh yeah, you can't leave out the "bro"

raphael120
06-05-2008, 12:21 PM
DJ hasn't proved anything other than he can lead Buffalo to 7-9. He's overrated if you ask me until he proves he can win consistantly.

dasaybz
06-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Even though the Bills haven't made the Playoffs under Dicky, I really like the feeling of this team. I think it would be unfair to can him if he doesn't make the playoffs this year. The team is very very young, and I still think they are a year away from the playoffs.

Firing Jauron after this year would only put the team back a couple steps again. Plus, if Jauron is let go, who do we replace him with? Another low cost questionable head coach? No way we get a big namer ... not as long as Wilson is in charge.

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 12:45 PM
you mentioned the dolphins first in this thread.

I was responding to Justa's point on record vs rankings.
My mention of the Dolphins was to simply point out that a coach who wasn't suited to be a HC in the NFL has a better record then Juaron. Basically staying with the concept of this thread which was to determine if Juaron is underrated or not. That has nothing to do with the 07 Dolphins.

jamze132
06-05-2008, 12:47 PM
If you were 43 living in moms basement you might have the same demeanor.

You're just pissed off that Culpepper is his "bro" and not yours.
He really does live in the basement. Seriously.

jamze132
06-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Even though the Bills haven't made the Playoffs under Dicky, I really like the feeling of this team. I think it would be unfair to can him if he doesn't make the playoffs this year. The team is very very young, and I still think they are a year away from the playoffs.

Firing Jauron after this year would only put the team back a couple steps again. Plus, if Jauron is let go, who do we replace him with? Another low cost questionable head coach? No way we get a big namer ... not as long as Wilson is in charge.
If our team improves in multiple categories and still misses the playoffs, I would not fire him. But if we tank and have a Dolphinesque season, I'm for finding a new coach. And not one from college.

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 12:56 PM

~The Answer
Well lets see,

A) Not really, sometimes the GM has the say in who is drafted. The coach my add some input, but the GM makes the decisions. Tom Donahoe ring a bell?

B) Nick Saban inherited a team that was pitiful thanks to DW. DW had a dominant team he inherited from Jimmy Johnson that he slowly destroyed with piss poor drafting, and just plain bad decisions, like keeping Jay Fiedler and letting Damon Huard walk and running Ricky Williams into the ground causing his early retirement. Nonetheless Saban had mild success as an NFL HC. I was glad when he left, but he did have some success in Miami.

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Plus, if Jauron is let go, who do we replace him with? Another low cost questionable head coach? No way we get a big namer ... not as long as Wilson is in charge.
Lets be honest, that's the only reason DJ became the Bills HC 2 years ago. He was cheap and would take the Job. Am I wrong? That's how It went down didn't it? The Bills made several other attempts to sign coaches but were unsuccessful? I believe the Bills were almost desperate when DJ signed, cause how long it was taking to find a new coach? If I'm wrong about the situation let me know.

The Answer
06-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Well lets see,

A) Not really, sometimes the GM has the say in who is drafted. The coach my add some input, but the GM makes the decisions. Tom Donahoe ring a bell?

B) Nick Saban inherited a team that was pitiful thanks to DW. DW had a dominant team he inherited from Jimmy Johnson that he slowly destroyed with piss poor drafting, and just plain bad decisions, like keeping Jay Fiedler and letting Damon Huard walk and running Ricky Williams into the ground causing his early retirement. Nonetheless Saban had mild success as an NFL HC. I was glad when he left, but he did have some success in Miami.

So now it's Wannsted's fault? At least he had some legit playoff teams.

Give it up FTP - Saban destroyed the Miami franchise, and Cameron added to the chaos in his brief one year stint.

~The Answer

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
So now it's Wannsted's fault? At least he had some legit playoff teams.

Give it up FTP - Saban destroyed the Miami franchise, and Cameron added to the chaos in his brief one year stint.

~The Answer
What was the Dolphins record in DW's last season as HC? Here let me get that for you 4-12!

Oh and BTW, Saban had a 9-7 season in 05. What's DJ's best season as a HC in Buffalo?

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 01:28 PM
He really does live in the basement. Seriously.
It wouldn't shock me one bit, he fits the bill.

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
It wouldn't shock me one bit, he fits the bill.
As do you as an immature Bill fan.

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 01:31 PM
As do you as an immature Bill fan.
:snicker:

Coming from a guy who gets off going onto an opposing teams board to troll.

It's o.k. "bro" Daunte has your back.

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 02:09 PM
:snicker:

Coming from a guy who gets off going onto an opposing teams board to troll.

It's o.k. "bro" Daunte has your back.

Frikin grow up, will ya!

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Frikin grow up, will ya!
Again, coming from a guy who gets off by going on another teams board and trolling.

It's cool "bro," Just don't set Daunte loose on me "bro."

feelthepain
06-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Again, coming from a guy who gets off by going on another teams board and trolling.

It's cool "bro," Just don't set Daunte loose on me "bro."

Ok BRO!!! what are you 12, Bro? Maybe you should stop posting like a child Bro!

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Ok BRO!!! what are you 12, Bro? Maybe you should stop posting like a child Bro!
:rofl: no problem "bro"

This is just one fans opinion, but keep your head up bro. Not everyone agrees with the way the Dolphins handled you and your situation. I for one do not feel much pride in this team with this situation, I think it was classless the way it was handled and I think you deserve better, all players that have the love and respect of their teammates desreve better and you had that with this team.

I hope your next stop is a good one and you return to form. You deserve it because of the hard work and the hart you've shown since this injury. I also want to thank you for wanting to help this team succeed and wanting to be a Dolphin. Even though you came back to soon and that decision probably cost you your future in Miami, I know you did so because you're a competitor and you want to succeed as much as any player on this team, including the pressure to win you faced in you decisions.

I'll root for you wherever you land, I think there are some serious flaws in NFL circles and sometimes the good guy's lose. I also have no problem with you forcing your release, there has to be some sorta of consequence for the treatment you've endored the last few months since the new coaching staff arrived and you aren't the only player to suffer such poor treatment around the league. I sat and watched Cam Cameron state with my own eyes and ears he wouldn't evaluate any player till they were a 100%, he obviously didn't mean you cause he obviously never intented on giving you that chance, even though the conversation at the time was about you.

I still love my team, but I just wanted you to know that not everything that happens with this team is something I'm proud to be a part of or watch.
Just like when players do things wrong or make mistakes and the organization feels the need to seperate themselves and their actions or intentions from a players, I feel the need to do the same with this team at this time. I care more about the players then some individuals within the FO and more specifically the coaching staff at this point in time.

Stay strong Bro and thanks again for the effort, you're a class act.

FTP.:lmao:

jamze132
06-05-2008, 11:22 PM
That post has been brought up so many times and every time I read it, I still chuckle.

gr8slayer
06-06-2008, 10:43 AM
That post has been brought up so many times and every time I read it, I still chuckle.
Instant classic, it wouldn't have been had it been a 14 year old kid but a 43 year old "man?" It just brings out the "bro" in all of us.