• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Some DJ Love From PFT

I refrained from the more vulgar title....but it was tempting

Though Paolantonio doesn’t point out any underrated head coaches (he focuses on two underrated assistants), we think that the most underrated head coach is Dick Jauron of the Bills, who has done very well despite difficult situations in Chicago, Detroit (on an interim basis), and Buffalo.

All there is to say...is if he has had difficult situations before, he shouldn't be in one now...
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Some DJ Love From PFT

of course, they fail to point out that the only common denominator in those three difficult situations is Jauron himself..... it's not that those situations were entirely his fault, but when he's 3 for 3 it's tough to believe he didn't have at least something to do with it.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

he's been nothing but mediocre so far. Time to find out what he's got.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Romes
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
        of course, they fail to point out that the only common denominator in those three difficult situations is Jauron himself..... it's not that those situations were entirely his fault, but when he's 3 for 3 it's tough to believe he didn't have at least something to do with it.
        I thought it was a funny coincidence that a few minutes after I read a negative comment about DJ from you in another thread I found this little nugget.

But anyway, I agree with you for the most part, it seems DJ gets some credit in league circles for not completely imploding in bad situations. However, that says nothing about how good he is when the cards are stacked in his favor.

Barring another rash of catastrophic injuries, he doesn't have any excuses this year.
        Originally posted by paladin warrior
        RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• yordad
          • Dec 2007

You know, I don't think he is the best game coach. I like a little more intensity. But, IMO, it would be hard to say he was at fault for his bad coaching situations.
          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by yordad
            You know, I don't think he is the best game coach. I like a little more intensity. But, IMO, it would be hard to say he was at fault for his bad coaching situations.
            I don't think it's entirely his fault, but it's also hard to say that he's entirely a victim of circumstance. Maybe he's just bad at analyzing circumstances before he accepts the job, maybe the teams in bad situations see him as an easy scapegoat, maybe he actually does cause turmoil, maybe (but not likely) he's just had really bad luck.

Unfortunately we'll never know because we'll never have that kind of insight into what happened in Detroit and Chicago and what's happening now in Buffalo.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

I don't know about Chicago and Buffalo, but Detroit is the classic definition of a permanent difficult situation.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• bigbub2352
                • Feb 2005

DJ sorry to say has had his share of bad coaching, but the one thing i have seen over his coaching career is players love playing for him, but i will say this, he has a ruff time picking assistants, and also managing the clock, but he did keep the team together well with 17 players on IR, i think this is a make or break year for him
                XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• feelthepain
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Mar 2005

DJ has had 1 good season as a HC, that's it. So what makes him underrated?

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by feelthepain
                    DJ has had 1 good season as a HC, that's it. So what makes him underrated?
                    What they're trying to say, and what a lot of people here have said, is that DJ did well given the circumstances. The problem is that doing well for the circumstances is not the same as doing well overall.

I'd rather be 7-9 than, say, 4-12, so from that standpoint Jauron deserves credit. But at the end of the day, the goal isn't to be 7-9- it's to make the playoffs and win the SB. And we weren't even close in that regard. I get really frustrated when my fellow Bills fans lower the bar and start giving props for mediocrity.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• feelthepain
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Mar 2005

What they're trying to say, and what a lot of people here have said, is that DJ did well given the circumstances. The problem is that doing well for the circumstances is not the same as doing well overall.

I'd rather be 7-9 than, say, 4-12, so from that standpoint Jauron deserves credit. But at the end of the day, the goal isn't to be 7-9- it's to make the playoffs and win the SB. And we weren't even close in that regard. I get really frustrated when my fellow Bills fans lower the bar and start giving props for mediocrity.
                      Well obviously 7 wins is better then 4, but as you said what good is it if you're not making the playoffs. There are so many things that turns the 7 wins into less then it really is. 1) In those 7 wins last year only one win was against a team that wasn't considered a bad team, that was the Redskins..and they weren't really that good. 2) Is the offensive and defensive rankings, I know many here refuse to acknowledge this aspect of the Bills, but it's 2 years in a row where this was the Bills ranking. It's more a direct result of caoching then it is injury.

In DJ defense, his owners refusal to spend money makes life tougher for sure. To be so far under the cap means that your team isn't spending the money to bring in the talent. Obviously simply spending money is no guarantee for success, the Redskins are prime examples of that. However, if the money is spent wisely you can give yourself a much more realistic chance to succeed and compete. This will in turn make it eaiser to land talent in the future cause players avalible see a team willing to do what it takes to win. By not spending the money thses same players know money is more important to the organization then winning. This does affect the desire to play in Western NY.

The bottom line is DJ is 4 games below 500. as a Bills HC. In contrast, Nick Saban was only 2 games below 500. and he obviously wasn't cut out to be an NFL HC, yet Nick had at least one winning season as a HC with Gus Freotte as his QB. DJ is not underrated, he is what he is.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

You're seriously annoying, and Im usually very respectful and friendly with fans of other teams on here.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• feelthepain
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          You're seriously annoying, and Im usually very respectful and friendly with fans of other teams on here.
                          Oh well.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

I'd rather be 7-9 than, say, 4-12,.
                            but what if 4-12 had better rankings than 7-9
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                              If you were 43 living in moms basement you might have the same demeanor.

You're just pissed off that Culpepper is his "bro" and not yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X