• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Answer
    The Plagiarist
    • Mar 2007

Breaking News: Tomlinson Considered Top Back

This should stir the pot even further....

10. Marshawn Lynch, Buffalo Bills
    Watch: Lynch highlights
    Superpower -- For a back who had concerns about toughness, Lynch sure does know how to finish. He lowers his pads and breaks tackles on first contact. He showed solid vision and run instincts last year as a rookie, something many first-year backs struggle with.
    Kryptonite -- Lynch needs to develop his receiving skills; he had 18 receptions out of the backfield last season. He does not show a lot of wiggle and can be a bit of a straight-line runner. He needs to become a better blocker, as he missed some blitz pickups that resulted in QB sacks last season.

~The Answer
  • yordad
    • Dec 2007

Re: ESPN/Scouts Inc: Lynch #10 ranked RB in the NFL

"He does not show a lot of wiggle and can be a bit of a straight-line runner."

What? Dat dude got's moves.
    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• jamze132
      • Jun 2003

I don't think Lynch needs to work on his receiving skills. I think the OC needs to get the ball thrown to him. Typical ESPN crap. Probably just looked at the stats when making this article.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

For a second I thought it was a list which included Lawrence Philipps , Ricky Williams , OJ Simpson etc. .
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The Answer
          The Plagiarist
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jamze132
          I don't think Lynch needs to work on his receiving skills. I think the OC needs to get the ball thrown to him. Typical ESPN crap. Probably just looked at the stats when making this article.
          Exactly - he is a great receiver. We just had an idiot offensive coordinator and 2 different QB's throwing the ball to him last year.

I expect Lynch to have a huge season catching the ball in 2008 - that is if he's not in prison.

~The Answer

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by jamze132

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

but he'll be the #1 ranked RB at Attica.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• raphael120
                Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                • Oct 2005

And he's got a high motor to bowl people over....unfortunately it's the one in his big ass SUV.

Comment

• jamze132
                  • Jun 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  but he'll be the #1 ranked RB at Attica.
                  Maybe he and Vick could get a charity "rival prison" game going... for battered women and dogs.

Comment

• R. Rich
                    • Apr 2003

Breaking News: Tomlinson Considered Top Back

Marshawn given some pretty decent props in this piece also.

From ESPN Insider:

Ranking the top running backs is about as easy as tackling any of them in the open field. Still, Scouts Inc. looked at every back in the league -- from the superstars to the rookies to the established veterans to those still looking for a job -- and listed them 1-64.
                    Some were easy. Others caused some long and loud arguments. And this list will undoubtedly cause many more debates. But ultimately, we looked at a variety of factors. We studied the player's body of work as well as looked ahead and projected future production. We took into account the kind of offense they play in, the scheme and supporting cast around them. We compared players who were every-down backs against those who didn't play as much. We factored in durability and versatility. We looked at everything we could think of and when all else failed, we just asked who would we want on our team right now.
                    So here is our list of the top running backs in the NFL from 1 to 64. Let the second-guessing begin.

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego Chargers
                    Watch: Tomlinson highlights
                    Superpower -- Tomlinson is the most versatile back in the NFL. He has elite vision and ranks among the best ever to play the game when it comes to finding cutback lanes. He has an excellent combination of size, strength and speed, can run inside or outside, catches the ball like a receiver and blocks effectively. In short, LT is the most dangerous back in the league today.
                    Kryptonite -- None. Wear and tear could soon become a factor because of the sheer amount of touches he has had during his career, and a knee injury that hindered him in last season's AFC Championship Game proved he is indeed human.

2. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings
                    Watch: Peterson highlights
                    Superpower -- Peterson runs behind the best offensive line in the NFL but also is the most physically dominating back in the league. He runs with elite power and strength, gains a lot of yards after contact and knows how to finish runs. The Viking has deceptive quickness in the hole for a back his size. He is the most explosive finisher in the NFL with his combination of strength, power and speed.
                    Kryptonite -- Not surprisingly, durability always will be a concern. Even though Peterson does a nice job of lowering his pads on contact and delivers a bigger blow than he receives, his running style lends itself to taking big hits. And though it often was because he tried to extend runs, he fumbled the ball too often (four times) last season.

3. Steven Jackson, St. Louis Rams
                    Superpower -- His versatility. Jackson is an excellent inside-out runner who is smooth and fluid. He is light on his feet for his size and can make the first defender miss in the hole. He can run around or through defenders, making it difficult to get him off his feet. He has excellent hands and creates numerous mismatches for an opposing defensive coordinator.
                    Kryptonite -- Like many backs who get many touches, durability is a concern. At times, he could run a little more physically in short-yardage situations.

4. Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia Eagles
                    Superpower -- Westbrook can align anywhere on the field and create mismatches. No linebacker in the NFL can handle Westbrook in man-to-man coverage. He has elite quickness to get on the edges and turn the corner. He is a better receiver than runner, and that is saying a lot because as a runner he shows excellent vision and instincts.
                    Kryptonite -- Lack of size. He is not a guy who will carry the ball 30 times per game and wear down opposing defenses.

5. Larry Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs
                    Superpower -- Johnson fits the definition of a "bell cow" better than any back on the list. The Chiefs can feed him the ball all day long, and he'll wear down an opposing defense. He is a physical inside runner who moves the pile after contact and can get tough yards otherwise. Though he's a bigger back, he has breakaway speed when he hits the second level at full speed.
                    Kryptonite -- He is not an elite receiver out of the backfield, nor is he very quick or elusive. For Johnson to be effective, he needs a solid offensive line, because he won't make defenders miss or create on his own if there is no initial hole for him to reach.

6. Joseph Addai, Indianapolis Colts
                    Watch: Addai highlights
                    Superpower -- Addai's No. 1 asset as a runner is his patience, which is a must in the Colts' scheme. He is a one-cut runner who can get downhill in a hurry when he sees a hole. Addai is shifty at the second level as well and has excellent hands and feel in the passing game. He is dangerous in the open field after the catch because he does an excellent job of setting up his blocks.
                    Kryptonite -- Though he has not had major injuries, there have been some nicks. We would not describe Addai as a tough or physical runner. He runs a little upright and takes some big hits. We also wonder whether he is a "system" player and whether he would have the same value in another offense.

7. Frank Gore, San Francisco 49ers
                    Superpower -- We're not sure we have seen a back who is so explosive yet has dealt with so many injuries. Gore shows exceptional quickness to and through the hole and can plant and change directions quickly. He runs with good balance and is tough to get off his feet. His hands are an asset, and he likely will catch close to 100 balls in 2008 in the scheme of new offensive coordinator Mike Martz.
                    Kryptonite -- Durability. Gore has had two major knee injuries dating back to college, and in the NFL he has been nicked up often. We wonder about his longevity as a feature back. The 49er did not run as hard last season and became frustrated with his role in the offense. He needs to mature and become a more effective leader.

8. Marion Barber, Dallas Cowboys
                    Watch: Barber highlights
                    Superpower -- Second only to Minnesota's Peterson as a physical inside runner, Barber delivers a huge blow on contact and always falls forward or keeps his feet moving after contact. He catches the ball well and is tough to get off his feet in space. He is an excellent leader and motivator, and you can see the spark he brings to the offense when he gets in the game.
                    Kryptonite -- Questions exist about whether he can produce as an every-down back. Barber just got a new mega contract but never has been the true starter in Dallas. He is not shifty and does not avoid contact well, and even though he packs a punch, he gets hit hard often as a runner. You wonder whether he can hold up long-term with the amount of hits he takes. His lack of game-breaking speed also needs to be noted.

9. Clinton Portis, Washington Redskins
                    Watch: Portis highlights
                    Superpower -- Portis is simply impressive in terms of production. He is near the top of the league every year and is a tough player who will fight through bumps and bruises. He attacks the line of scrimmage and can make the first defender miss in the hole. He does not have elite size but knows how to finish his runs.
                    Kryptonite -- He puts the ball on the ground too often and at times does so in critical situations. He can be aloof when he needs to take care of the ball, dropping easy passes to kill drives and missing blocks in pass protection. He has great physical tools but at times seems to check out mentally.

10. Marshawn Lynch, Buffalo Bills
                    Watch: Lynch highlights
                    Superpower -- For a back who had concerns about toughness, Lynch sure does know how to finish. He lowers his pads and breaks tackles on first contact. He showed solid vision and run instincts last year as a rookie, something many first-year backs struggle with.
                    Kryptonite -- Lynch needs to develop his receiving skills; he had 18 receptions out of the backfield last season. He does not show a lot of wiggle and can be a bit of a straight-line runner. He needs to become a better blocker, as he missed some blitz pickups that resulted in QB sacks last season.

Comment

• RockStar36
                      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                      • Sep 2004

Re: Breaking News: Tomlinson Considered Top Back

I read this yesterday. Very nice towards Marshawn. I had no idea he was better than McGahee.

D & S Sports

Comment

• gr8slayer
                        • Feb 2005

I would even put him over Barber and Portis myself.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                          I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                          • May 2005

This was actually posted by The Answer yesterday... merging!

Comment

• RockStar36
                            Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                            • Sep 2004

Maybe at this point in his career, after this season, he could go ahead of Portis. It's hard to say after just one season. I'd like to see what Barber does now that he is officially the number one and got the big contract. I'm not so sure he will be as good.

D & S Sports

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
                              This was actually posted by The Answer yesterday... merging!
                              Oh Christ, I just realized that you are a moderator. What is this world coming to

Comment

Working...
                              X