PDA

View Full Version : JOSH REED Being Used for Run Plays???!?!

raphael120
06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Paul Posluszny "stuffed" an inside run play to Josh Reed which would have gone for no gain at best. The middle linebacker also had a 'would be' sack on a blitz.

WHAT THE HELL IS JOSH REED DOING IN A RUN PLAY!!?!!

WE HAVE LYNCH, JACKSON, OMON, AND WRIGHT AND WE'RE RUNNING PLAYS WITH REED AS A RUNNING BACK!?!?

God, if these are the type of plays we have in store for us this season...good luck with playoffs.

circlethewagons
06-05-2008, 01:35 PM
seems a little bit early to be judging the play calling, its not even training camp yet... besides it was probly just an end around

ddaryl
06-05-2008, 01:37 PM
admit it... you didn't expect it so opposing D's wouldn't expect it either...

however I would have to believe there is nothing here to get worked up about.... YET!

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Josh Reed is a former RB, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a WR who can be your 4th or 5th WR.

raphael120
06-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I just don't see why we're wasting snaps with Josh Reed at RB when we have rookies and Wright that need all the practice they can get. If you want to see Josh Reed at running back, then let's get Shaud Williams back here.

justasportsfan
06-05-2008, 01:45 PM

WE HAVE LYNCH, JACKSON, OMON, AND WRIGHT AND WE'RE RUNNING PLAYS WITH REED AS A RUNNING BACK!?!?

God, if these are the type of plays we have in store for us this season...good luck with playoffs.

Troy Brown playing cb for the PAts? George Wilson playing safety?

We've used Evans and Parrish in reversals.

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 01:45 PM
I just don't see why we're wasting snaps with Josh Reed at RB when we have rookies and Wright that need all the practice they can get. If you want to see Josh Reed at running back, then let's get Shaud Williams back here.
Did you consider it a waste when we tried Peters out at OT when he was a TE coming out of college? Antonio Gates wasn't brought in as a TE; all of this is just standard procedure.

justasportsfan
06-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Did you consider it a waste when we tried Peters out at OT when he was a TE coming out of college? Antonio Gates wasn't brought in as a TE; all of this is just standard procedure.
oops. Forgot that too. Good job.

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 01:47 PM
The Rams had Steven Jackson lined up at WR a few times earlier this Summer :up:

Stewie
06-05-2008, 01:49 PM

It could have been a quick WR screen which was technically a run because the qb was closer to the line of scrimmage

justasportsfan
06-05-2008, 01:51 PM
It could have been a quick WR screen which was technically a run because the qb was closer to the line of scrimmage
or a fumbled snap that Josh happened to pick up.

:snicker:

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 01:53 PM
or a fumbled snap that Josh happened to pick up.

:snicker:
:meh:

justasportsfan
06-05-2008, 01:54 PM
:lolpoint: :meh:

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I smell a Mularkeyism.

Remember the direct snap to Freddy Smith, which just happened to be the ONLY play in our playbook where Smith lined up in the backfield?

Here we go again....

mayotm
06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
This is classic! Of all the things to get bent out of shape about. Hilarious!

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 02:08 PM
This is classic! Of all the things to get bent out of shape about. Hilarious!

seriously, after the horrendous offensive playcalling this team has had dating back to at least Kevin Gilbride, you can't blame fans for getting panicky about this kind of stuff. It's plays like this at ill-advised times in games that have held our offense back for a decade.

FlyingDutchman
06-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Well with Joshs catching ability, we might as well just hand him the ball

Stewie
06-05-2008, 02:11 PM
a poorly written sentence causing so much heartburn. gotta love teh internets

mayotm
06-05-2008, 02:13 PM
seriously, after the horrendous offensive playcalling this team has had dating back to at least Kevin Gilbride, you can't blame fans for getting panicky about this kind of stuff. It's plays like this at ill-advised times in games that have held our offense back for a decade.Come on. It was a single play in an OTA. We don't even know what the play was. It could have been a reverse or something that is part of every team's play book. Hey, if you want to get upset about every bad play during an OTA, enjoy. I'm a huge fan that frankly spends way too much time worrying about every aspect of the Bills. But I'm not going to worry about some play in practice.

justasportsfan
06-05-2008, 02:16 PM
seriously, after the horrendous offensive playcalling this team has had dating back to at least Kevin Gilbride, you can't blame fans for getting panicky about this kind of stuff. It's plays like this at ill-advised times in games that have held our offense back for a decade.
I don't know about you, but I loved Mularkey's trick plays over Fairchilds predictable playcalling.

At least with MM, our own players got fooled. Under Fairchild, the D knew what was coming.

Imagine how good this team could've been if we combined both systems.

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Well with Joshs catching ability, we might as well just hand him the ball
I find it hard to be critical of Reed considering he's the only WR we have who is willing to go across the middle and take a hit. Add to that the fact that he's by far our best blocking WR and I honestly have no issues with him. Is he a number one? Never, is he a solid #3 or #4? Sure.

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Come on. It was a single play in an OTA. We don't even know what the play was. It could have been a reverse or something that is part of every team's play book. Hey, if you want to get upset about every bad play during an OTA, enjoy. I'm a huge fan that frankly spends way too much time worrying about every aspect of the Bills. But I'm not going to worry about some play in practice.

well guess what? The reason they're running the play in practice is SO THEY CAN RUN IT ON THE FIELD.

Is it going to bother you if they pull that crap on the field on a Sunday afternoon? Because if the answer is yes, then it should also bother you now. It's not like they're going to take the field and run a whole bunch of plays that they haven't practiced.

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 02:23 PM
well guess what? The reason they're running the play in practice is SO THEY CAN RUN IT ON THE FIELD.

Is it going to bother you if they pull that crap on the field on a Sunday afternoon? Because if the answer is yes, then it should also bother you now. It's not like they're going to take the field and run a whole bunch of plays that they haven't practiced.
And if they do run it on Sundays so what?

Philagape
06-05-2008, 02:26 PM
End-arounds and reverses aren't that uncommon.
As was stated earlier, the problem with trick plays isn't that they existed, it's that they were run at the worst times.

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 02:28 PM
And if they do run it on Sundays so what?

it kills drives, takes us out of scoring position, forces us to attempt FG's instead of TD's and we lose games. It happened countless times over the last 8-10 years.

mayotm
06-05-2008, 02:29 PM

Is it going to bother you if they pull that crap on the field on a Sunday afternoon? Because if the answer is yes, then it should also bother you now. It's not like they're going to take the field and run a whole bunch of plays that they haven't practiced.Christ, I give up. I don't have the energy to argue with you. You're 100% right as usual. The play sucked. Reed sucks. Turk sucks. The Bills suck. Happy?

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 02:31 PM
it kills drives, takes us out of scoring position, forces us to attempt FG's instead of TD's and we lose games. It happened countless times over the last 8-10 years.
And who were our OC's? Things aren't the same as they were 8-10 years ago; if run at the right time trick plays are wonderful.

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 02:37 PM
And who were our OC's? Things aren't the same as they were 8-10 years ago; if run at the right time trick plays are wonderful.

but our last 3 OC's couldn't use them at the right time, and this guy hasn't been an OC yet- so what makes you think he can use them at the right time?

Philagape
06-05-2008, 02:42 PM
but our last 3 OC's couldn't use them at the right time, and this guy hasn't been an OC yet- so what makes you think he can use them at the right time?

What makes you think he can't? Those two possibilities cancel out, so the logical reaction is to be neutral until we see how and when the plays are used.

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 02:45 PM
What makes you think he can't? Those two possibilities cancel out, so the logical reaction is to be neutral until we see how and when the plays are used.

the last 3 couldn't which makes me think the people who pick OC's in Buffalo don't know what the hell they're doing. Until the OC himself and the people picking OC's show some proficiency, there is sufficient reason for doubt. All the people who hired Fairchild are still there (with the possible exception of Marv- I can't remember if the decision was made before or after he left).

raphael120
I'm going to keep tabs on this thread when we do see this kinda bull**** play pulled out in a game and it goes for a loss.

Oaf
You're overreacting big time. Reed is our best WR in YAC right now, designed run plays may work well with his shedding ability. Jonathan Smith did the same thing when he was around.

Jan Reimers
06-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Reed was a running back in high school and early in his carrer at LSU. His chief strength as a WR is running after the catch. He is a real tough guy to bring down.

So why not let him run occasionally?

raphael120
06-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I just think our OC should be worried about just executing the most basic of plays, considering we had trouble running plays with our top talent, let alone players who don't play the position with stupid trick plays.

Josh Reed couldn't get into the endzone last year through the air, why the hell do we think he could get it in the endzone on the ground???

Oaf
06-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I'm going to keep tabs on this thread when we do see this kinda bull**** play pulled out in a game and it goes for a loss.
All my ZBs say if it happens, it's for a positive gain. I'll even give you odds if you want to work the distances.

Philagape
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
the last 3 couldn't which makes me think the people who pick OC's in Buffalo don't know what the hell they're doing. Until the OC himself and the people picking OC's show some proficiency, there is sufficient reason for doubt. All the people who hired Fairchild are still there (with the possible exception of Marv- I can't remember if the decision was made before or after he left).

The current administration is only responsible for the last one, not last three.
The problem with Fairchild wasn't trick plays.
And even if it were, Schonert has done several things a lot differently than Fairchild so far.
He certainly hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt, but there's sufficient reason for neutrality.

raphael120
06-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Reed was a running back in high school and early in his carrer at LSU. His chief strength as a WR is running after the catch. He is a real tough guy to bring down.

So why not let him run occasionally?

Because we have someone better as a RB in Lynch and Jackson. If he's such a good RB, then why haven't we used him at RB the first 5 years of his NFL career? It's not like this is an undiscovered talent that's just waiting to be tapped.

raphael120
06-05-2008, 02:54 PM
All my ZBs say if it happens, it's for a positive gain. I'll even give you odds if you want to work the distances.

Deal, brotha!

Jan Reimers
06-05-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't understand why some posters bash everything before they even know what's really going on, and continue to use ancient history to prove that nothing we do now will ever work.

But I have gotten used to it.

gr8slayer
06-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Well Jason Garret had limited to no OC experience before last season, then his offense goes on to set Cowboy scoring records. Just because Turk hasn't done it before does not mean he won't succeed.

raphael120
06-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I don't understand why some posters bash everything before they even know what's really going on, and continue to use ancient history to prove that nothing we do now will ever work.

Honestly this is one of the first things I've bashed since the whole offseason began.

but reguardless...it's better than talking about stupid JP vs. Trent.

Im just sayin...this comes up in a real live game and Reed fumbles or somethin...I told you sooooo!

THATHURMANATOR
06-05-2008, 03:03 PM
This thread is the exact type of overreaction that makes me sick. Why would you bother to care about one snap at OTAs?

:puke:

streetkings01
06-05-2008, 03:03 PM
OMG Josh Reed is running a run play.......why didn't we go after Martz???????????? The sky is falling......the sky is falling....!!!!!!!!!!!!

mybills
06-05-2008, 03:16 PM
OMG Josh Reed is running a run play.......why didn't we go after Martz???????????? The sky is falling......the sky is falling....!!!!!!!!!!!!
speaking of sky..

maybe the sun was too bright, so they had him run instead. :couch:

John Doe
06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Perhaps the team should not let running backs catch passes either.

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 03:22 PM

if it didn't work in the past, there's no reason to believe it will work now. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

1. Turk is a rookie OC, which hasn't worked in the past.
2. The same people who selected Fairchild also selected Turk.
3. Turk has the offense practicing the same kinds of plays that got us into trouble in the past.

Seems like there are more than enough similarities to be concerned.

And btw, no one said it "proves" anything- we just said that the emerging pattern is eerily similar to something that hasn't worked in the past, therefore it's unreasonable to expect different results.

Jan Reimers
06-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Honestly this is one of the first things I've bashed since the whole offseason began.

but reguardless...it's better than talking about stupid JP vs. Trent.

Im just sayin...this comes up in a real live game and Reed fumbles or somethin...I told you sooooo!
But OTAs are the very place to try a few new and different things. Who knows if Reed will ever run the ball in a game? But he has been a running back in the past, is really good running after the catch, is tough to tackle, and I don't remember him as a fumbler.

Why not give it a try? And if he runs it in for a touchdown to win a game. . . Well, I'd never say I told you so.:dance:

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
But OTAs are the very place to try a few new and different things. Who knows if Reed will ever run the ball in a game? But he has been a running back in the past, is really good running after the catch, is tough to tackle, and I don't remember him as a fumbler.

Why not give it a try? And if he runs it in for a touchdown to win a game. . . Well, I'd never say I told you so.:dance:

I suppose it's worth a shot, but on the other hand, RB is one of our strongest positions and WR is one of our weakest. So why not have Reed work on becoming a better WR instead?

Jan Reimers
06-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I suppose it's worth a shot, but on the other hand, RB is one of our strongest positions and WR is one of our weakest. So why not have Reed work on becoming a better WR instead?
I think he's about as good as he's going to get at WR, which is nothing to write home about.

Philagape
06-05-2008, 03:32 PM

I think that's what the other 99 percent of the plays are for.

Mahdi
06-05-2008, 03:33 PM
They probably had Reed lined up in the slot, on the snap he runs across the formation and takes a early hand-off and continues across. Its actually a nice play, especially since Reed can shed tackles pretty well. I would like to see that play run out of a spread formation though with 4 or 5 wrs and 1 or no LBs on the field. Could be a very successful play.

Philagape
06-05-2008, 03:36 PM
FYI ... over the past two years, Reed has eight runs for 23 yards. Of those eight carries, two lost yards.
In his career he has 14 carries for 57 yards.

Philagape
06-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Also ... for those who oppose this, should the Bills never run a trick play again? That's the logical conclusion of that thinking.

Jan Reimers
06-05-2008, 04:00 PM
if it didn't work in the past, there's no reason to believe it will work now. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

1. Turk is a rookie OC, which hasn't worked in the past.
2. The same people who selected Fairchild also selected Turk.
3. Turk has the offense practicing the same kinds of plays that got us into trouble in the past.

Seems like there are more than enough similarities to be concerned.

And btw, no one said it "proves" anything- we just said that the emerging pattern is eerily similar to something that hasn't worked in the past, therefore it's unreasonable to expect different results.
The fact that Turk is a first year OC only dooms him to failure in your mind. He's been an NFL QB and QBs coach for over 20 years. So what if Jauron and company selected Turk? He is a different guy. And who should have picked him, the ball boy?

And unless you've been to the OTAs, how do you know what kind of offense the Bills are running?

Real insanity is expecting history to exactly repeat itself over and over - sort of like Groundhog Day - when changes in coaching, systems and personnel have taken place. We don't live in a static, predetermined world where everything replicates what's happened before, particularly in sports.

John Doe
06-05-2008, 04:42 PM
They probably had Reed lined up in the slot, on the snap he runs across the formation and takes a early hand-off and continues across. Its actually a nice play, especially since Reed can shed tackles pretty well. I would like to see that play run out of a spread formation though with 4 or 5 wrs and 1 or no LBs on the field. Could be a very successful play.

Isn't that the play that used to drive the Dolphins crazy during the Kelly years? They used Tasker to great effect that way.

Stewie
06-05-2008, 05:08 PM
this thread proves nothing except the offseason sucks.. bring on some football

Bone
06-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Could we just make a sub forum called the "***** About the Bills Here"

Typ0
06-05-2008, 07:19 PM
yet another case of people listening to everything they hear and assuming it's correct. The thing says "inside" run play. No way was josh reed on an inside run play unless it was a draw.

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 08:00 PM
The fact that Turk is a first year OC only dooms him to failure in your mind. He's been an NFL QB and QBs coach for over 20 years. So what if Jauron and company selected Turk? He is a different guy. And who should have picked him, the ball boy?

And unless you've been to the OTAs, how do you know what kind of offense the Bills are running?

Real insanity is expecting history to exactly repeat itself over and over - sort of like Groundhog Day - when changes in coaching, systems and personnel have taken place. We don't live in a static, predetermined world where everything replicates what's happened before, particularly in sports.

the fact that he's a first year OC is a red flag. How many times have we tried rookie OC's in the past? And how many times have they failed? But hey- it saves Ralph some money over getting someone with experience so it's all good.

Jauron and co picked Fairchild. If that doesn't make you question their ability to pick coordinators, I don't know what to tell you. They got it wrong before and they haven't gotten it right yet. It's a perfectly legitimate reason for concern.

I don't know what kind of O they're running- I do know that this particular technique has had disastrous results in the past. But for some odd reason, that doesn't concern you. Those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

Changes have taken place, but changes have taken place in the past and left us with Groundhog Day results. The same people who have made ineffectual changes in the past are the ones who have made these changes. I never said it was predetermined- but when you do the same things, the same results are a lot more likely than different ones.

Dozerdog
06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Do they have a play in the playbook where Reed lines up as Marshawn Lynch's designated driver?

OpIv37
06-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Do they have a play in the playbook where Reed lines up as Marshawn Lynch's designated driver?

yes but they were busy practicing the play where Reed rides in the trunk because there aren't enough seats available in the cabin.

The Jokeman
06-05-2008, 09:54 PM
and from the "I guess he hasn't learned his lesson from he was here file" or "thank God we still don't have this loser here anymore":

RB Jerious Norwood says he's being split out wide during OTAs and will be used to exploit matchups in the Falcons' new offense.

Coach Mike Smith wants to get Norwood against linebackers and safeties, where he can "cause all kinds of problems." Norwood is a good handcuff for Michael Turner, but we've heard this before. He isn't a power back like OC Mike Mularkey prefers and isn't guaranteed more than passing-down snaps.
Link (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3645)