PDA

View Full Version : Fred Smoot to join the Bills?

EM Bills Fan 80
04-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Redskins | Smoot on the Trading Block - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
16:39 PT: According to ESPN.com’s Len Pasquarelli, the Washington Redskins have quietly put CB Fred Smoot back on the trading block. The team, as reported, is looking to acquire additional draft choices. There’s a chance the team could part ways with him for a high second-round draft choice.

After seeing what Len Pasquarelli reported about the Bills looking at Corners incase they cant re-sign Winfield and with TD maybe taking the approach of drafting a Corner in the draft incase this happens, like he did with Reed for Price, do you think the Bills may trade for him??? Cause if the Bills draft a CB many believe it would be in the 2nd Round. Comments please.

:gobills:

The Natrix
04-19-2003, 12:55 PM
He wouldn't be willing to sit the bench for a year

Dozerdog
04-19-2003, 12:57 PM
I hear he's got an attitude problem

The Natrix
04-19-2003, 01:00 PM
probably why they want to trade him

no thanks

Bert102176
04-19-2003, 01:05 PM
we won't trade a 2nd rounder for him, a third yes but not a 2nd

Tatonka
04-19-2003, 01:32 PM
i hear every player in the nfl has an attitude problem.. guess we should cut all of them..

:rolleyes:

:puke: at people accusing others of having attituted problems..

eric moulds was accused of that too when drafted.. in case you forgot..

WCoastFin
04-19-2003, 03:01 PM
Smoot a Bill....I like that Idea.

4thAndLong
04-19-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i hear every player in the nfl has an attitude problem.. guess we should cut all of them..

This guy doesn't shut up. Didn't he go down in the draft 2 yrs. ago because he had drug problems?

4thAndLong
04-19-2003, 03:08 PM

I'll say the same thing I always say to you when you say this, because you haven't answered it yet.

LeRoy Butler?

WCoastFin
04-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Don know if you guys know, but C.Woodson is on the trading block as well.

RedEyE
04-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Smoot would be a nice addition but, Winfield will re-sign. Right now the staff is steadily prparing for the draft. I don't see the Bills giving any draft picks away this season for a player that may start next. Technically, Winfield may not want to negotiate until after this season. With the front 7 beefed up, the secondary can only get better.

R. Rich
04-19-2003, 04:31 PM
Smoot is pretty good in coverage, but he's nowhere near Antoine in run support! If he could handle being a nickel, sure. I just wouldn't want Smoot over Winfield. Please get a deal done to keep him in Buffalo!

losman2evans
04-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Clements/ Winfield/Smoot

Sounds good- eben the third cornerback gets a lot of playing time.

Just depends how much will he play for. But we need to keep Winfield.

We always lose our corners in Buffalo- i don't have the list in front of me- but there has to be at least 3 previous number one draft picks that we have lost- burris is the only one that i remember by name.

HenryRules
04-19-2003, 04:59 PM
I don't understand why everyone is so excited that Winfield is good in run support - he's a corner after all. For a CB, I'd much rather have a guy who gets a pick once in a while than a guy who is good in run support. We have linebackers and linemen for run support.

I'm not saying that Smoot is better than Winfield, I'm just saying that I don't think it means much at all that Winfield is good in run support.

casdhf
04-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Forget Smoot. Chris Watson will emerge and replace him.

R. Rich
04-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by bledsoe2moulds
Clements/ Winfield/Smoot

Sounds good- eben the third cornerback gets a lot of playing time.

Just depends how much will he play for. But we need to keep Winfield.

We always lose our corners in Buffalo- i don't have the list in front of me- but there has to be at least 3 previous number one draft picks that we have lost- burris is the only one that i remember by name.

A few others who got away:

JD Williams (thankfully!)
Thomas Smith
Nate Odomes

casdhf
04-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Whatever happened to Kirby Jackson?

The good thing is that none of those guys did squat after they left. Williams was a bum, I don't think Smith did anything and Odomes blew out his knee after one year. Bills corners don't do well elsewhere....maybe someone should fill Antoine in on that fact.

Stewie
04-19-2003, 05:31 PM
Smoot couldn't lift the 225lb at the combine once, and Winfield is a hard hitter type CB.. Gimme a winfield contract ext mr donahoe

Gunzlingr
04-19-2003, 05:59 PM
I don't know if he has an attitude problem, but earlier when he was mentioned as possible trade material, he said that he like DC, but wouldn't be mad if traded, as he understands the NFL is a business. I thought he had a pretty good outlook.

Could he be used a FS?

Demon
04-19-2003, 06:13 PM
If we get Fred Smoot it's a sign Donahoe isn't happy with either Clements or Winfield..... my guess Clements.

Tatonka
04-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by 4thAndLong

This guy doesn't shut up.

are you saying i dont shut up or smoot doesnt shut up?

The Natrix
04-19-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Demon
If we get Fred Smoot it's a sign Donahoe isn't happy with either Clements or Winfield..... my guess Clements.

No way would Smoot replace either of them THIS YEAR.

Not happy with Clements? What is there not to be happy about. He had more INTs than the rest of the D combined and he plays hard as hell, not to mention he has only been in the league for two friggin years. Clements isn't even a FA after the season, so you think TD is going to sit Clements for the rest of his contract. Surely you couldn't think that so I will assume you think Clements will be traded (won't happen.) Dude, you seriously have got to lay off the model airplane glue

Tatonka
04-19-2003, 07:47 PM

I'll say the same thing I always say to you when you say this, because you haven't answered it yet.

LeRoy Butler?

and i guess you are talking to me here? i have no idea what question you asked that i have failed to answer.. and what the hell this question has to do with leroy butler is beyond me..

Demon
04-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by The Natrix

No way would Smoot replace either of them THIS YEAR.

Not happy with Clements? What is there not to be happy about. He had more INTs than the rest of the D combined and he plays hard as hell, not to mention he has only been in the league for two friggin years. Clements isn't even a FA after the season, so you think TD is going to sit Clements for the rest of his contract. Surely you couldn't think that so I will assume you think Clements will be traded (won't happen.) Dude, you seriously have got to lay off the model airplane glue

How many INT's did Clements have Besides from Ray Lucas???

Jackoff, I never said THIS SEASON. Fred Smoot is a very good and young CB with tons of speed. If we do sign him, i think Tom Donahoe will give both Winfield and Clements a season to prove themselfs. With Winfield being a free agent it might be him but sinces hes a shutdown corner i'd doubt it but who am i to say, i'm not Tom Donahoe. Clements i like alot dont get me wrong, but if i had to pick either Smoot or Clements i'd prolly pick Smoot. I know Clements isn't a free agent, if he sucks this season i wouldn't be suprised if Donahoe trys to trade him next off-season at the draft IF we get Smoot. Like i said, I like Clements alot but Smoot is the better player and if TD wants to get Smoot then i must think either Winfield or Clements arn't impressing him.

lordofgun
04-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Demon

Why wouldn't he be happy with Clements? :huh:

4thAndLong
04-19-2003, 09:47 PM

are you saying i dont shut up or smoot doesnt shut up?

Smoot.

And also, since every player in the NFL has an attitude problem...What did LeRoy Butler do?

The Natrix
04-19-2003, 09:54 PM
don't quote me on this, but I believe he had 2 from Lucas, 1 from Fiedler, 1 from Carr, one from Kitna and another. How many did Winfield have?

ok, sorry for the misunderstanding but...

I just don't see how anyone could think Nate Clements is not good enough to be a starting CB.

I cannot understand how you can think that Smoot is more likely to replace Clements than Winfield. Don't get me wrong, I like Winfield a lot. I'm not trying to make this a Clements vs. Winfield issue. It is just that Winfield's contract is up after this season, so it would make a ton more sense that Smoot would replace Winfield.

Why would TD Go through the trouble of trading for Smoot, and then trade Clements? After all, Clements was a late 1st rounder, so he is not getting paid much. So why would TD give up a cheap talent in Clements, for an expensive Smoot and Winfield. Sounds a little far fetched.

Tatonka
04-19-2003, 10:05 PM

Smoot.

And also, since every player in the NFL has an attitude problem...What did LeRoy Butler do?

oh.. i think that you are taking me a bit too literally.. not EVERY player has an attitude problem but a large majority of them do depending on their situation.. it may not seem like they do, but then you get a little contract issue thrown in there and next thing you know, they are badmouthing their team..

i am just saying that it is such a general statement.. "attitude problem".. what does that mean? he is rude to players? coaches? fans? complains alot?.. i dont know.. it is like the term "locker room cancer" what the hell is that.. how would we know.. we are not in the locker room. maybe i am way off..

i just know that alot of players get slapped with that tag and it never leaves them.. i know that EMoulds was said to have an "attitude problem" because he played a joke in college and had a pizza ordered to the field.. obviously he has been one of the most stand up guys on our team.. warren sapp was said to have an attitude problem.. he just contributed to bringing a superbowl to tampa.. i just think it is an overused term.

4thAndLong
04-19-2003, 10:13 PM
"Locker room cancers" can tear a team from within. Look at RJ/Flutie.

I agree, most players HAVE attitude problems, but alot of them (not all) make up for it in one way or another.

Tatonka
04-19-2003, 10:19 PM
i dont really think RJ was a locker room cancer.. i will agree that flutie was, lobbying for players support, and in general trying to make RJ's job harder.. i am not saying that flutie should or shouldnt have been the starter.. its not about that.. but i do think that flutie was a REALLY rare case in the nfl.. most players dont and wouldnt do that.. even if they are unhappy with a demotion..

by the way.. butler was about as classy an individual that ever played in the nfl.. and when you look at his upbringing.. it just makes it that much more impressive.

casdhf
04-19-2003, 10:32 PM
and when you look at his upbringing.. it just makes it that much more impressive.

What's your excuse? :flow:

Tatonka
04-19-2003, 10:37 PM
:lol:

your avatar :D

losman2evans
04-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Still luv to have Smoot/Winfield/Clements

Didn't Washington have Deion/ Green/ Smoot/ Bailey at the same time at one point?

3 great corners would be awesome

So we have lost J Williams
Burris
Odomes
Thomas Smith

Lets keep Winfield- hard for us to keep corners-even if the previous ones did not excel with any other team

Tatonka
04-19-2003, 10:48 PM
j williams? as in JD williams? i wouldnt call that losing a good cb at all.. if i remeber correctly...

losman2evans
04-19-2003, 10:52 PM
definately not a great cornerback loss in Williams
Just another first round cornerback that we didn't keep.

Smoot, Winfield and Clements would still be a nice trio

Tatonka
04-19-2003, 11:02 PM
well.. we didnt keep williams.. but it had everything to do with the fact that he was basically a bust..

he did go on to play in arizona.. but not for long.. and was never a good player..

burris - he is a decent player. but not dominant or even that good.. he was an after thought..

thomas smith was really good i thought at one point.. but much like wini.. he had hands of stone.. couldnt get picks.. he went on to chicago and sucked.. i think he is out of the nfl now too right?

odems.. if i remember correctly.. he was a bit older when he left via FA right?.. and he blew his knee out and never played a down for seattle i believe.. i also think he signed the most lucrative FA CB contract in history at that time.

i guess my point is.. we have never really lost a cb of much consiquence.. but i agree.. i dont want to lose wini.

Demon
04-20-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by The Natrix
don't quote me on this, but I believe he had 2 from Lucas, 1 from Fiedler, 1 from Carr, one from Kitna and another. How many did Winfield have?

ok, sorry for the misunderstanding but...

I just don't see how anyone could think Nate Clements is not good enough to be a starting CB.

Clements had 3 from Lucas. But i underestimated him also, i though he had 4 or 5 but he actually had 6 like you said.

I like Clements and i like Winfield, i just feel Winfield is better then Clements and Smoot is slightly better then Clements, only my opinion. I have nothing personal towards Clements dont get me wrong.

Winfield is better then Clements in my opinion becasue hes a much better tackler and he can cover and shutdown almost any WR in the league. If you look at the % of how many times teams pass to Clements vs Winfield it boggles my mind. But to be honest, Williams' zone defense limits the skill of Winfield becasue he is a better tackler then Clements so we always have Winfield playing on the Inside and Clements on the #1 WR on the outside and thats why we had Watson on like Rob Smith and stuff.

If Winfield was able to play the outside on a regular basis IMO he would get alot more INT's then he has and prolly would reach the 6 Clements had. But i guess we'll never know.

Tatonka
04-20-2003, 12:17 AM
i just dont get that.. put your best frigging CB on their best damn WR!!!!

how is that a hard concept to grasp??

The_Philster
04-20-2003, 05:34 AM
Some teams go with putting their CBs on a certain side of the field, regardless of whom they are covering. We used to do that under Marv and Wade (It's a big part of why Irvin struggled so much the last couple of years he was here...he spent his whole career on the left and then got switched to the right...caused him problems). I think we've done a few more matchups under Williams, though.

Tatonka
04-20-2003, 11:27 AM
if a guy can cover.. he can cover.. i dont understand how he could move to the right or left and all the sudden not cover.. what if a receiver was on the left.. and broke to the right or left from there? it should be exactly the same.

Billz_fan
04-20-2003, 11:44 AM
odems.. if i remember correctly.. he was a bit older when he left via FA right?.. and he blew his knee out and never played a down for seattle i believe.. i also think he signed the most lucrative FA CB contract in history at that time.

Yes, that is correct. In fact after he signed the deal in Seattle he blew his knee playing basketball that offseson.

He was good in the day though. His nickname was "cheetah" cus he ran 40's in the low 4's and benched over 400 lbs. I remember being at the players entrance one day before the game and getting some chatter with him. He looked like a block. As wide as he was tall in his street clothes :D

Tatonka
04-20-2003, 11:58 AM
but he never played again.. so we never lost anything..

with all the guys listed.. they never went on to any further greatness past what they had here.. so it looks like we made the right call.

ublinkwescore
04-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by paulB
Smoot couldn't lift the 225lb at the combine once, and Winfield is a hard hitter type CB.. Gimme a winfield contract ext mr donahoe

Is that a fact Paul?

I can rep 225.