• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Standing Buffalo named 11th coolest helmet in history

11th Coolest Helmet in History: Buffalo Bills, '65-'73

By MJD

Most teams that have animal-themed helmets usually have that animal in a fierce, predatory pose on their helmet. The Panther is growling about something. The Jaguar looks equally frustrated. The Bronco used to be spewing something from his mouth, and now he's just sort of elongated himself. The Cardinals recently made their birdie look meaner.

The buffalo on the Bills helmet from '65-'73, however, is just kind of there. He could be asleep on his feet, he could be grazing, or he could be daydreaming about a herd of lady buffaloes. He seems like a very peaceful, non-aggressive character.

I think this is what happened: the Bills held open auditions for buffaloes to come in and pose for their helmet, but this was the only buffalo who showed up. And the photographer and team officials said to him, "Can't you act like you're going to stampede, or growl at someone, or at least stomp a hoof or something?"

And the Buffalo said, "Listen, fellas. I'm an unemployed buffalo. You're paying me in grass. And I'm hungover. I'm going to stand here, and if you want to take a picture of me, that's fine. But I'm not taking requests, and if you don't stop messing with me, I'm going to blow buffalo snot all over Jack Kemp."

In 1974, he was replaced with a cartoonish leaping buffalo, either because the Bills wanted something a little more lively on their helmet, or because O.J. killed him. I miss him very much.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Standing Buffalo named 11th coolest helmet in history

can't go wrong with the standard old skool Buffalo.

But I like Stripey too. The logo is modern without going ultra-modern and looking Arena League like the Titans, Seahawks, etc.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
      The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
      • Feb 2005

I sure dig it when we do throw back unis, but its cooler to have it a couple times a year that way you dont start taking it for granted
      In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
        can't go wrong with the standard old skool Buffalo.

But I like Stripey too. The logo is modern without going ultra-modern and looking Arena League like the Titans, Seahawks, etc.
        Agreed! Good post. I don't mind the standing Buffalo, but Stripey is my favorite.

Comment

• Al the Bills Fan
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by keithtr
          I sure dig it when we do throw back unis, but its cooler to have it a couple times a year that way you dont start taking it for granted
          LOVE THE THROWBACKS!!!

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

If that's how the author praises "the 11th coolest helmet" I'd hate to see what he writes on the "coolest".

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
              • May 2003

Nothing for nothing, but that guy who wrote that article is kind of a goof.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

I really don't care for the standing Buffalo. I really never liked the throwbacks either. Fail to see why anyone prefers the grazing Buffalo over the present charging Buffalo design.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
                  • Mar 2005

In 1974, he was replaced with a cartoonish leaping buffalo, either because the Bills wanted something a little more lively on their helmet, or because O.J. killed him. I miss him very much

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by LtFinFan66

In 1974, he was replaced with a cartoonish leaping buffalo, either because the Bills wanted something a little more lively on their helmet, or because O.J. killed him. I miss him very much
                    Yeah, I guess you are right, it is pretty funny.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

In all honesty, when I first read the review I could imagine it being written by someone like Stewie Griffin.

Comment

• Marvelous
                        • Feb 2004

Good grief.. I always thought that logo was gay looking.
                        ---I always liked the current logo w/ the white helmets.. But that's just me...
                        GO BILLS!!! NE
                        Magical Trevor

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Marvelous
                          Good grief.. I always thought that logo was gay looking.
                          ---I always liked the current logo w/ the white helmets.. But that's just me...
                          Those are my favorite helmets!

Comment

• Dujek
                            Hall of Fame Zoner
                            • Jan 2008

I've always liked the standing Buffalo design better. There's nothing wrong with the current logo, but the guy's right, the standing Buffalo is cool.

Comment

• mybills
                              81 st zoner
                              • Jul 2002

The standing Buffalo represent a strong D.
                              The flying stripy one represents the scoring O.
                              Both are good, but haters of the standing B are either very young, or very dumb.
                              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Working...
                              X