PDA

View Full Version : Even After The Lynch Legal Part Is Over

patmoran2006
06-07-2008, 08:33 AM
I"m talking personally not from a "football player" standpoint here.

Whether he ends up with a simple mismeanor; gets any jail time or the more likely possibility of probation.

And whether he gets suspended by the league for 4 games, 1 game or 0 games.

I really hope he comes out PUBLIC with a heart-felt statement apologizing for his actions when its that time. I don't want to hear any scripted statement from his lawyer apologizing on his behalf and saying let's just move on. I want to hear directly from Lynch (once the legal stuff is settled). I'd like to hear some emotion come out of him.

I think it's crucial to his character and the way he'll be perceived. Own up. Say not only that you made a mistake, but how contrite you are at the lack of judgement you showed. Vow to make it up to the young woman you accidently struck, and to the fans of the community that are/have supported you. Basically, Im saying don't read just from a scripted peice of paper standing in front of a podium (when it's that time). Show you're remorse and show everybody how truly sorry you are that you ****ed up.

In less than one year, Lynch became one of if not my single-most favorite Bill on the team. I love the way he plays, he's fun and by all accounts off the field until this he's been regarded as a great citizen of the community. He has a lot of mending to do, and I hope it doesn't end once the legal and league ramifications of this incident play itself out.

This is a good football team in the making, and I feel like Lynch is a pretty good guy. But he made in what is my opinion, a deplorable mistake. So I hope he makes every effort to make things right, besides simply just accepting any penalty ramifications. And whether people agree or not, the Bills NEED this guy in the lineup. He brings to much to an offense that's not good enough to thrive without him (which is NOT the subject of this thread)

LifetimeBillsFan
06-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I don't think his lawyer will let him give the kind of a statement that you want him to make until after any civil suit that the woman may bring has been settled. Again, for legal reasons.

And, unless he reaches an out-of-court settlement with her quickly, that could take time--years even.

I think that he will probably issue an apology of sorts initially, but probably not one that will fully satisfy you, me and everyone else disappointed by his actions. Maybe after everything gets settled, he may apologize more openly, but, again, that could end up being a couple of years down the line and, by then, will most people even remember what happened? You might. I might. But, how many others will...or will think that it matters any more? Call me a cynic, but I really don't know....

HHURRICANE
06-08-2008, 09:28 AM
I don't need an apology. He's not my friend or relative. i need him to produce on the football field, which means he needs to be on it.

If he gets suspended for even 1 game I'll be pissed.

YardRat
06-08-2008, 10:04 AM
He isn't going to say anything that could possibly incriminate him regarding future legal ramifications, even after the fact IMO, as LTBF already stated.

He pleads down.
He settles out of court for specified damages.
He apologizes publicly.
His ass is hauled back to criminal court for further penalties, and civil court for more money, based on 'new evidence'.

Ain't gonna happen.

Philagape
06-08-2008, 10:10 AM
He isn't going to say anything that could possibly incriminate him regarding future legal ramifications, even after the fact IMO, as LTBF already stated.

He pleads down.
He settles out of court for specified damages.
He apologizes publicly.
His ass is hauled back to criminal court for further penalties, and civil court for more money, based on 'new evidence'.

Ain't gonna happen.

Does a guilty plea trigger the double jeopardy clause?

YardRat
06-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Does a guilty plea trigger the double jeopardy clause?

It doesn't have to qualify for double jeopardy.

For example...He pleads to reckless driving (a lesser charge) and is convicted based on his plea.

He apologizes, then gets charged with hit and run, or leaving the scene, or whatever based on his public comments. Different charge, double jeopardy doesn't apply.

SpillerThrills
06-08-2008, 02:16 PM
It doesn't have to qualify for double jeopardy.

For example...He pleads to reckless driving (a lesser charge) and is convicted based on his plea.

He apologizes, then gets charged with hit and run, or leaving the scene, or whatever based on his public comments. Different charge, double jeopardy doesn't apply.

Double Jeopardy might apply though.... if he is charged with say hit and run, then pleads down they can't charge him again with hit and run because that case has already been settled. now, he (like OJ) could be charged with something, be found not guilty or plead out in criminal court, then be charged with something simular or the same thing in civil court.... however the civil court can only award money if convicted, if I'm correct.... I could be wrong though....

gr8slayer
06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
As long as he performs on Sundays I really don't care.

Jan Reimers
06-09-2008, 07:42 AM
There may also be a civil suit filed by the woman who was hit. Anything he admits to could be used against him in that proceeding as well.