PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Lynch Legal Problems Could Lead to Longterm Problems at OBD

YardRat
06-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Forked from: Lynch Legal Problems Could Lead to Longterm Problems at OBD (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2476037)

It is off the main subject, but NE's punishment was hardly a slap on the wrist. It was the largest punishment (in fines) permissible and they lost a 1st round pick.

That's piss-poor rationalization, a lot more could have (and should have) been done.

Show me where a coach can't be suspended. Tell the DeBartolo's that they can't lose control of their team. 'Largest punishment' is open-ended and determined by the powers-that-be. If Goodell really had any balls and really cared about the integrity of the league he would have laid down the law.

Belicheck 'mis-interpreted' the rules. Kraft didn't know anything. The players were clueless as to what was going on.

Puh-leeze.

gr8slayer
06-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I agree with both of you actually; Lecter is right that it was the harshest penalty dished out to date (and that was pretty harsh) but I still think that a suspension would have gone a lot further in proving that Goodell wasn't ****ing around than a fine did.

Mitchy moo
06-07-2008, 04:32 PM
They couldn't punish NE because the league is run by Kraft and Jones. You want a criminal unsuspended to play football, send them to Dallas.

gr8slayer
06-07-2008, 04:35 PM
They couldn't punish NE because the league is run by Kraft and Jones. You want a criminal unsuspended to play football, send them to Dallas.
Hell yeah send them here, we welcome elite football players. We prefer thugs, killers, drugs users, wife beaters, etc.... they make better players anyway.

Dr. Lecter
06-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Forked from: Lynch Legal Problems Could Lead to Longterm Problems at OBD (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=2476037)

That's piss-poor rationalization, a lot more could have (and should have) been done.

Show me where a coach can't be suspended. Tell the DeBartolo's that they can't lose control of their team. 'Largest punishment' is open-ended and determined by the powers-that-be. If Goodell really had any balls and really cared about the integrity of the league he would have laid down the law.

Belicheck 'mis-interpreted' the rules. Kraft didn't know anything. The players were clueless as to what was going on.

Puh-leeze.

I don't disagree a suspension was warrented and should have occurred eve if it was only for one or two games.

What I do disagree with is the notion that the punishment was a slap on the wrist. Bringing DeBartolo into the discussion, when he was convicted of a felony, is a different scenario altogether.

Fact is, the punishment was harsh. The Pats played fast and loose and got caught. They were punished and the punishment was not a slap on the wrist, nor was it weak. Could of it been harsher? Sure. But it was not a tiny slap either.

YardRat
06-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Belicheck was fined 500k, the team 250k. The ink wasn't even dry on the checks and Kraft resigned Bill to a contract extension that basically paid his fine and gave him a multi-million dollar annual raise.

Nobody felt a thing. It wasn't even a slap on the wrist.