PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports announces NHL09 Cover Player

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-08-2008, 10:47 PM
When the producers of EA Sports' long-running NHL video game franchise decided to add slicker defensive plays and more bone-jarring checks to this year's version of the game, they wanted a player who excels at both to adorn the game's box. One name came immediately to mind: Dion Phaneuf.

Sun Media can exclusively reveal that the high-scoring, hard-hitting Calgary Flames defenceman will be the cover athlete for NHL 09, slated for release in September for the PlayStation 3, PlayStation 2 and Xbox 360 game consoles.

"There are always a lot of options for who we want on our cover, and Phaneuf was a perfect choice for us this year," said David Littman, lead producer of NHL 09. As with recent years, the game is being developed at EA Canada's sprawling studio near Vancouver.

"He was very positive, and he was pretty pumped about being able to be on the cover," Littman said of the Edmonton-born Phaneuf, 23, who has played three standout NHL seasons so far with the Flames. (He's also been romantically linked to Canuck actress-hottie Elisha Cuthbert. How much goodness does one man need?)

For young NHL players who grew up on video games, getting your picture on the box of EA's annual game is an honour akin to having your own hockey card.

"It is a status symbol among hockey players and among athletes, that they're going to be on the cover of the game that they've played since they were six years old," said Littman, who himself was a goalie in the minors and played briefly for the Buffalo Sabres and Tampa Bay Lightning.

"You look at some of our past cover athletes -- Mario Lemieux, Eric Lindros, (Jarome) Iginla, (Alexander) Ovechkin, (Vincent) Lecavalier -- we're talking about some of the best players ever to play the game."
http://calsun.canoe.ca/Showbiz/2008/06/08/5811016-sun.html

Michael82
06-09-2008, 12:57 AM
EA Sports can kiss my ass. There are so many people out there with top of the line PCs that like to play games on there. First Madden, now NHL09. **** you, EA! :mad:

RockStar36
06-09-2008, 06:48 AM
If there were "so many" people playing on PC they would be making "so much" money off the PC versions. Obviously they aren't, so obviously they dropped it.

hydro
06-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Hey mikey, get a xbox. You won't regret it :up:

BlackMetalNinja
06-09-2008, 07:22 AM

Better yet, save your money and get an apartment.

hydro
06-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Better yet, save your money and get an apartment.

Does a xbox come with it? :idunno:

RockStar36
06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
:rofl:

It might....Of course, isn't that what credit cards are for?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
06-09-2008, 09:11 AM

I wouldn't buy an XBox 360 here's why
http://www.wgrz.com/video/vplayer.aspx?aid=44630&bw=

The Xbox 360 debuted on store shelves in November, 2005 with the mania, drama and celebration of a rock concert. Anxious gamers stood out in the cold, waiting in line to pay from $300 to $400 for the coveted 'mother of all video games'. It was on the cover of magazines. It was the present every parent tried to get their kids for the holidays.

But almost two years later in July, 2007, the golden child of video games had to admit something was tarnished. Microsoft called it "an unacceptable number of repairs" to Xbox 360.

The problem identified as flashing red lights. It was soon coined by some users, "the red rings of death".
http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=57600

hydro
06-09-2008, 09:15 AM
And it is easily fixed by sending it to Microsoft. Two to Three weeks and you have it back again. Now that down time would obviously suck but Microsoft knows they screwed up and the fix is at no cost to the owner. Not as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

RockStar36
06-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Not to jinx myself but it doesn't happen to everyone and when it does happen they fix it free of charge. I don't see that being a reason not to buy a 360. It is an investment that pays for itself over time. I love it.

gr8slayer
06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
EA Sports can kiss my ass. There are so many people out there with top of the line PCs that like to play games on there. First Madden, now NHL09. **** you, EA! :mad:
How can you blame them if there isn't much of a market for it? They aren't going to lose money making it for the PC for the select few who choose not to go buy a gaming console.

BlackMetalNinja
06-09-2008, 10:21 AM
I had the red rings of death, sent my box out, got it back in 3 weeks and haven't had a problem. I bet a lot more people have a lot more trouble with their PCs however.

gr8slayer
06-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I had the red rings of death, sent my box out, got it back in 3 weeks and haven't had a problem. I bet a lot more people have a lot more trouble with their PCs however.
I get that too if I eat too many spicy foods :ill:

Michael82
06-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I own an X-Box. But it's the original one.... :::

gr8slayer
06-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I own an X-Box. But it's the original one.... :::
Time to spend some cash.

hydro
06-09-2008, 01:39 PM
You could trade that in for credit toward a X360 :up:

JD
06-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Lmao my PC would rape any ps3 or 360

**** EA Sports

BlackMetalNinja
06-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Lmao my PC would rape any ps3 or 360

**** EA Sports

Yeah, and how much did it cost, and how quickly will it be obsolete? Don't get me wrong, I love PCs and all, but they aren't practical to try and keep up with in terms of gaming.

gr8slayer
06-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah, and how much did it cost, and how quickly will it be obsolete? Don't get me wrong, I love PCs and all, but they aren't practical to try and keep up with in terms of gaming.
Nope, you only have the "ultimate PC" for six months and then there's new technology. Actually now it's more like four months.

RockStar36
06-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Not that this is new information, but computers depreciate daily whether they are used or not. Nobody can ever fully say that they have the "ultimate PC".

Myers57
06-22-2008, 12:19 AM
NHL 09 now has it's own website up with a trailer and according to the official press release regarding Phaneuf being the cover athlete, there will be versions for the PS3, PS2, XBOX 360, AND THE PC

Michael82
06-22-2008, 12:55 AM
NHL 09 now has it's own website up with a trailer and according to the official press release regarding Phaneuf being the cover athlete, there will be versions for the PS3, PS2, XBOX 360, AND THE PC
Sweet!!! LOSman WINS was wrong! The PC edition will be back for at least one more year.... :jig:

Myers57
06-22-2008, 04:17 PM
i bought the PC edition of NHL 08 last september and it didn't work on my computer....outdated video card

luckily i have a 360 to get the new version for now

JD
06-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Good to see its going on the PC!

Michael82
06-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Good to see its going on the PC!
Tell me about it. I have a good video card for my PC and enjoy playing NHL08 on it. :up: