PDA

View Full Version : Bills coaches like what they see in Mitchell

The Answer
06-09-2008, 10:27 AM
http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local/local_story_160233648.html

BILLS: Coaches like what they see in Mitchell
By Jay Skurski
E-mail Jay (skurskij@gnnewspaper.com)

ORCHARD PARK — Kawika Mitchell certainly had the right answer when asked what brought him to Buffalo.

“The fans,” the Bills’ marquee free-agent signing said. “It’s a great atmosphere. The fans have been great every time I’ve been here. They seem to really love football up here, it’s a great feeling to be in a place like that. I’d describe it like a college atmosphere. The fans are all about their team and supporting them in every way and I’m excited about getting started with it.”

If it ends the way Mitchell’s last season did, Bills fans will be excited, as well. After signing a one-year deal with the New York Giants and starting all 16 games, he capped his year in the Big Apple with a Super Bowl victory over the previously-unbeaten New England Patriots..............

~The Answer

gr8slayer
06-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I like what I see in Mitchell; oddly enough he's been one of my favorite players since he was in KC and its an honor to have him in a Bills jersey.

The Answer
06-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I like what I see in Mitchell; oddly enough he's been one of my favorite players since he was in KC and its an honor to have him in a Bills jersey.

Mitchell was one of the most overlooked FA signings in the NFL world. You can make a legitimate argument that he was the sparkplug that ignited the Giants defense late in the 2007 season. After all it was his big game against our very own Bills in a must win game that carried the giants all the way to a world championship.

Week after week Mitchell was making huge plays, especially in the superbowl. I just hope we got that same player and he don't turn into an unmotivated fatcat....

~The Answer

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 11:54 AM
This signing reminds me of a Jeff Posey type signing! Sounds good and looks good on paper, but will only make a marginal impact IMO! There is a reason why this guy is on his 3rd team in 3 years and we'll soon find out ourselves.

gr8slayer
06-09-2008, 12:00 PM
This signing reminds me of a Jeff Posey type signing! Sounds good and looks good on paper, but will only make a marginal impact IMO! There is a reason why this guy is on his 3rd team in 3 years and we'll soon find out ourselves.
Posey and Mitchell are two very different types of players. Posey was more fit for a 3-4 scheme as an OLB; Mitchell is pretty much the alpha-C2 LB. Posey won matches with power, Mitchell will win them more often with speed and quickness.

The Answer
06-09-2008, 12:01 PM

Not a valid comparison - we signed Posey from an expansion team and he didn't really do much there. We just signed Mitchell from the superbowl champions and he was a major pieces of the defense and manhandled Tom Brady twice in 2 games last year.

~The Answer

HHURRICANE
06-09-2008, 12:34 PM
I have several friends that are Giants fans and no one in misssing him. They said he played well brought on by the play of the whole D unit.

Alot of them think he's had his one year wonder.

Any time fans of another team are saying things "like we are going to miss him, or "I was disappointed we didn't keep him" that tells me we just signed mediocre talent.

gr8slayer
06-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I have several friends that are Giants fans and no one in misssing him. They said he played well brought on by the play of the whole D unit.

Any time fans of another team are saying things "like we are going to miss him, or "I was disappointed we didn't keep him" that tells me we just signed mediocre talent.
One year wonder? He had two excellent years in KC.

What's funny about your "friends" is that the Raider fans said the same things about Langston Walker and he proved to be one of the best Tackles we've had in a while last year and even out performed Peters in a few games.

Don't take advice from other people, go watch the game film yourself and then decide.

The Spaz
06-09-2008, 12:36 PM

That tell me fans in general are bitter when players leave.

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Not a valid comparison - we signed Posey from an expansion team and he didn't really do much there. We just signed Mitchell from the superbowl champions and he was a major pieces of the defense and manhandled Tom Brady twice in 2 games last year.

~The AnswerSo we should give Donnie Spragen a nice contract since he was part of that 2006 Dolphins defense that beat the Pats 20-0? I dont think the Giants miss him at all since they made no effort to resign this great player who manhandled Tom twice in 2 games all by himself!

The Answer
06-09-2008, 12:41 PM

And last year the Redskins fans were claiming the same thing about Dockery. Granted we probably overpaid somewhat - but look at how much our ragged oline improved, and how much the skins oline digressed.

Anyway you slice it Mitchell is an upgrade over Ellison, and with the upgrades we hae made at DT - all he has to do is be serviceable and stay healthy and most fans will probably be happy. But for anybody that thinks we signed a superstar at OLB, that's probably not realistic.

~The Answer

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 12:43 PM
That tell me fans in general are bitter when players leave.So when alot of us told Eagles fans that TKO was done....were we lying? When Ravens fans told us that Bennie Anderson was a penalty maching we shoulda told them it was just sour grapes? When I told 49er fans that Clements was not worth that much money it was just me being mad that Nate left huh?

The Answer
06-09-2008, 12:46 PM
So we should give Donnie Spragen a nice contract since he was part of that 2006 Dolphins defense that beat the Pats 20-0? I dont think the Giants miss him at all since they made no effort to resign this great player who manhandled Tom twice in 2 games all by himself!

Again - were the 2006 dolphins the superbowl champions? They weren't even a playoff team.

Not even close. Also before last year the Dolphins have had a lot of success against the Pats, something that unfortunately we can't claim since we are the only afc east team that has not beat them since 2003.

~The Answer

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 12:46 PM
And last year the Redskins fans were claiming the same thing about Dockery. Granted we probably overpaid somewhat - but look at how much our ragged oline improved, and how much the skins oline digressed.

Anyway you slice it Mitchell is an upgrade over Ellison, and with the upgrades we hae made at DT - all he has to do is be serviceable and stay healthy and most fans will probably be happy. But for anybody that thinks we signed a superstar at OLB, that's probably not realistic.

~The AnswerI agree that he's an upgrade over Ellison, but I'm not gonna get excited about this guy because he had a good game against the Patriots in the Super Bowl!

gr8slayer
06-09-2008, 12:47 PM
So when alot of us told Eagles fans that TKO was done....where we lying? When Ravens fans told us that Bennie Anderson was a penalty maching we shoulda told them it was just sour grapes? When I told 49er fans that Clements was not worth that much money it was just me being mad that Nate left huh?
There's a difference when comparing Mitchell and Spikes. Spikes was coming off an injury that ends some people's careers and he is at the age where his prime is wearing down anyway.

Bennie Anderson wasn't even a freaking starter towards the end of his stay as a Raven, and who marked him up as a good player anyway?

Clements being the highest paid defensive player in history was stupid no matter who you talk to.

Now you're just struggling to find something to back up your baseless argument. Every player goes into every team with a different situation. As it stands right now Mitchell fits our system better than anyone else we had at WLB in a long time, his size, speed, and athleticism is fit for the Hybrid Cover 2 we like to run. You act as if we broke the bank on the guy...

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Again - were the 2006 dolphins the superbowl champions?

Not even close. Also before last year the Dolphins have had a lot of success against the Pats, something that unfortunately we can't claim since we are the only afc east team that has not beat them since 2003.

~The AnswerSo your saying we should do what the Raiders do and make sure to sign a player from a Super Bowl winner every year? Maybe that Super Bowl luck will rub off on us!

The Spaz
06-09-2008, 12:49 PM
So when alot of us told Eagles fans that TKO was done....were we lying? When Ravens fans told us that Bennie Anderson was a penalty maching we shoulda told them it was just sour grapes? When I told 49er fans that Clements was not worth that much money it was just me being mad that Nate left huh?

Dumb argument.

gr8slayer
06-09-2008, 12:50 PM
We were told Dockery wasn't worth the money and neither was Walker. We can go on forever naming players if you want.
Walker was freaking amazing compared to what he was "supposed" to be according to Raider fans.

And trust me, it didn't go unnoticed throughout the league.

The Spaz
06-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Walker was freaking amazing compared to what he was "supposed" to be according to Raider fans.

And trust me, it didn't go unnoticed throughout the league.

I agree.

The Answer
06-09-2008, 12:51 PM
So your saying we should do what the Raiders do and make sure to sign a player from a Super Bowl winner every year? Maybe that Super Bowl luck will rub off on us!

No. But I like this signing and think that Mitchell is a hard nosed, ball hawking blue collar LB similar to The Digi that will fit in well in The Corpse's system.

And I know where you are coming from comparing him to some past superbowl MVP's (I.E. Larry Brown) but he didn't have just one good game. He was a key part of a defense that played tremendous footall most of the season, especially during the postseason.

~The Answer

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 12:54 PM
One year wonder? He had two excellent years in KC.

What's funny about your "friends" is that the Raider fans said the same things about Langston Walker and he proved to be one of the best Tackles we've had in a while last year and even out performed Peters in a few games.

Don't take advice from other people, go watch the game film yourself and then decide.Those so called 2 excellent years in KC didn't get him much money on the open market huh? I remember him being on the open market for over a month before signing a 1 year deal going by todays NFL standards as peanuts!

gr8slayer
06-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Those so called 2 excellent years in KC didn't get him much money on the open market huh? I remember him being on the open market for over a month before signing a 1 year deal going by todays NFL standards as peanuts!So now we're basing how good a player is based on his salary? You are probably one of those people who don't watch the games just watch the highlights on Sports Center the next day right?

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 12:57 PM
There's a difference when comparing Mitchell and Spikes. Spikes was coming off an injury that ends some people's careers and he is at the age where his prime is wearing down anyway.

Bennie Anderson wasn't even a freaking starter towards the end of his stay as a Raven, and who marked him up as a good player anyway?

Clements being the highest paid defensive player in history was stupid no matter who you talk to.

Now you're just struggling to find something to back up your baseless argument. Every player goes into every team with a different situation. As it stands right now Mitchell fits our system better than anyone else we had at WLB in a long time, his size, speed, and athleticism is fit for the Hybrid Cover 2 we like to run. You act as if we broke the bank on the guy...Many people on this boards did! They felt since he was the starting RG for the Ravens when Jamal Lewis ran for 2000+ then he must be good, much like some of you are saying about Mitchell since he was apart of the Super Team who beat the mighty Pats!

gr8slayer
06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Many people on this boards did! They felt since he was the starting RG for the Ravens when Jamal Lewis ran for 2000+ then he must be good, much like some of you are saying about Mitchell since he was apart of the Super Team who beat the mighty Pats!
Who, other than The Answer is saying anything about Mitchell beating the Pats in the SB? Does The Answer account for "many or some?"

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Dumb argument.How is it a dumb argument? You cant have it both ways bro! You cant say not to trust what fans of another team say about a player that just left and then not give them props when they proved they knew what they were talking about!

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 01:02 PM
No. But I like this signing and think that Mitchell is a hard nosed, ball hawking blue collar LB similar to The Digi that will fit in well in The Corpse's system.

And I know where you are coming from comparing him to some past superbowl MVP's (I.E. Larry Brown) but he didn't have just one good game. He was a key part of a defense that played tremendous footall most of the season, especially during the postseason.

~The AnswerKey part my ass....Osi, Strahan, Tuck, and Pierce were the real reason why that defense was what it was. How do you let a key part leave after 1 season???

The Spaz
06-09-2008, 01:04 PM
How is it a dumb argument? You cant have it both ways bro! You cant say not to trust what fans of another team say about a player that just left and then not give them props when they proved they knew what they were talking about!

We'll find out how he does this year. Won't we bro?

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 01:04 PM
So now we're basing how good a player is based on his salary? You are probably one of those people who don't watch the games just watch the highlights on Sports Center the next day right?I live in Yonker which is Jets and Giants country and I see enough Giants games. Mitchell isn't missed in NY since most Giants fans are comfortable with Kiwi replacing him.

And know I'm not basing how good a player is according to his salary, but I see alot of mediocre bums getting nice contracts so how come Mitchell didn't get one? Napolean Harris got a nice contract to replace Mitchell after his so called excellent 2 seasons.

The Answer
06-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Key part my ass....Osi, Strahan, Tuck, and Pierce were the real reason why that defense was what it was. How do you let a key part leave after 1 season???

Because his stellar play earned a big payday that the Giants couldn't afford.

~The Answer

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 01:08 PM
We'll find out how he does this year. Won't we bro?Yes we will! All I did is state that this signing wont be as much of an impact as some of you guys think, ya'll the one who got defensive!

The Answer
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM
I live in Yonker which is Jets and Giants country and I see enough Giants games. Mitchell isn't missed in NY since most Giants fans are comfortable with Kiwi replacing him.

And know I'm not basing how good a player is according to his salary, but I see alot of mediocre bums getting nice contracts so how come Mitchell didn't get one? Napolean Harris got a nice contract to replace Mitchell after his so called excellent 2 seasons.

This explains where you are getting your biased opinion from - from a bunch of bandwagon Giant fans that probably didn't even know who Mitchell was before he signed with them last year. And of course they are going to talk crap about him since he didn't resign.

~The Answer

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Because his stellar play earned a big payday that the Giants couldn't afford.

~The AnswerCouldn't afford or didn't think he was worth?

The Spaz
06-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes we will! All I did is state that this signing wont be as much of an impact as some of you guys think, ya'll the one who got defensive!

You got defensive as well calling him out on his supposed marginal play. I'm done with this topic. Nobody will know he he will play until the season starts.

Jan Reimers
06-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Regardless of what the Giants' fans say about him, Mitchell appears to be the solid, veteran player that our mostly young defense needs.

streetkings01
This explains where you are getting your biased opinion from - from a bunch of bandwagon Giant fans that probably didn't even know who Mitchell was before he signed with them last year. And of course they are going to talk crap about him since he didn't resign.

~The AnswerSo you know more about a player than fans of the team he actually played 16 games for do? Your whole observation of Mitchell is based on what 4-5 games(Bills, Pats 2x, playoffs)?

The Answer
Couldn't afford or didn't think he was worth?

Probably both - like most nfl teams, there is only so much money to go around and maybe they felt that Mitchell was a 'one year wonder' and didn't wanted to distribute the money to other homegrown giants and key players.

~The Answer

streetkings01
06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Regardless of what the Giants' fans say about him, Mitchell appears to be the solid, veteran player that our mostly young defense needs.I agree to a point, I just dont get the feeling he's gonna make this great impact like some on these boards think. I just get this feeling that there will some game where we forget that Mitchell is even on the field......just my opinion.

The Answer
06-09-2008, 01:15 PM
So you know more about a player than fans of the team he actually played 16 games for do? Your whole observation of Mitchell is based on what 4-5 games(Bills, Pats 2x, playoffs)?

Actually I watched a lot more than just a few games, and I've also read multiple scouting reports among other things.

Bottom line - he's 28 years old, coming off a career season with the superbowl champions and entering his prime. And considering how pathetic our defense has been lately he should be a significant upgrade.

~The Answer

Jan Reimers
06-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I agree to a point, I just dont get the feeling he's gonna make this great impact like some on these boards think. I just get this feeling that there will some game where we forget that Mitchell is even on the field......just my opinion.
That's what I meant. He will most likely not be a star, but he has a lot of experience and will help keep the D together, and will be a nice improvement over Ellison.

Philagape
06-09-2008, 01:29 PM

I know Giants fans who said it was a good signing for the Bills. They say he got better as the year went on.

He's a solid player with a high motor and championship experience, certainly an upgrade over what we had, at a reasonable price.

evol4276
06-09-2008, 02:04 PM
mitchell was always around the ball, or at least in the games i've seen. plus, if needed, he's a wonderful blitzer, tho im sure we wont use him much for that. I like Kawicka a lot. So glad we picked him up.

yordad
06-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Many people on this boards did! They felt since he was the starting RG for the Ravens when Jamal Lewis ran for 2000+ then he must be good, much like some of you are saying about Mitchell since he was apart of the Super Team who beat the mighty Pats!OK, so if people tell you an aquisition is a good one, you shouldn't believe it, but if they tell you it is bad, you should believe it.

Or are other team's fans just better at assessing talent?

justasportsfan
06-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Bills coaches like what they see in Mitchell

A sb ring!!!