• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Late pick making an impression

He seems to make a play in every practice, earning the praise of his coaches and teammates alike. When the work is over and the players leave the field, he remains to catch extra passes from the Jugs machine.

When you are a seventh-round draft pick you better make an impression early and often. If it was Steve Johnson’s intention to get the Buffalo Bills’ attention, he is succeeding.

“He’s doing a good job,” Bills wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert said . “He’s like all the other rookies, the head’s spinning a little bit. But he’s a playmaking guy. We were very fortunate to get him where we drafted him because we had a higher grade than where we got him.”

Like the Bills, Johnson was stunned he had to wait so long to get a telephone call from an NFL team during the draft. But the former University of Kentucky star has gotten over the disappointment.

“I’m here now so I don’t really have to worry about what happened in the past,” he said. “All I’ve got to do is go forward and everything will be all good.”

Johnson has been pretty good for most of the Bills’ voluntary practice sessions. He has impressive size at 6-foot-2 and 202 pounds, which was a big reason the Bills drafted him and 6-6 James Hardy.

What stands out about Johnson is his good hands and ability to run after the catch. His route running needs polishing, but he doesn’t seem to have a problem getting open.

“You can see that he has good ability,” Tolbert said. “He still has a lot to learn, but he’s off to a good start.”
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • User Manuel
    The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
    • Nov 2003

Re: Late pick making an impression

Paul Hamilton said yesterday on WGR that if he had to predict right now he thought Johnson would be the #5 receiver.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

I liked the pick when we made it, and was surprised Johnson lasted until the 7th round. I think he'll be on the opening day roster, and just might make some contributions during the season.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• madness
        • Apr 2003

I really hope this guy makes the roster. I think we've had enough injuries last season to cover the next 5 but if the injury bug ever hits our WR's, I feel somewhat comfortable about this guy's ability to step up his game.

Comment

• Devin
          The Octagon
          • Apr 2003

Guy could totally develop into a great slot receiver.
          http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Watching his combine videos , he reminded me of Lynch at his combine. Smooth . I think he's gonna be this years biggest steal.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

WR was probably our weakest position coming into this season, so anything this guy can contribute will be a big help.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

Guy needs a lot of time before we can expect any kind of serious contribution from him. He has good hands, but not great size, not great speed, and routes need a lot of work. He is not a good blocker and has big consistency issues. I think he makes the team and like Devin said could really develop into a good slot WR but he'll need 2-3 years before we see that.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

They had him as the biggest steal of the draft in Bills Digest and said that he will most likely make the team.

Comment

• Romes
                    • Jul 2002

Colston V2.0??
                    Originally posted by paladin warrior
                    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                      They had him as the biggest steal of the draft in Bills Digest and said that he will most likely make the team.
                      That wouldn't be a bias publication right? Biggest steal of the draft was by far Dan Connor in Round 3 by Carolina.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        Guy needs a lot of time before we can expect any kind of serious contribution from him. He has good hands, but not great size, not great speed, and routes need a lot of work. He is not a good blocker and has big consistency issues. I think he makes the team and like Devin said could really develop into a good slot WR but he'll need 2-3 years before we see that.
                        You may be right on speed, route running and blocking, but the guy is 6'2" and 202 lbs. I think he has some size, but I'm just an optimistic fan, so I'm probably wrong.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          You may be right on speed, route running and blocking, but the guy is 6'2" and 202 lbs. I think he has some size, but I'm just an optimistic fan, so I'm probably wrong.
                          While that's true, I never said he didnt have size I said he didnt have great size. If I could field of team of dream WR's they would all be 6'4, 225 and run 4.4 40's. That's a WR with great size, not Johnson.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• dasaybz
                            • Apr 2005

Special teams player. That's about it.

Comment

• The Answer
                              The Plagiarist
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by YardRat
                              http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/367424.html

He seems to make a play in every practice, earning the praise of his coaches and teammates alike. When the work is over and the players leave the field, he remains to catch extra passes from the Jugs machine.

When you are a seventh-round draft pick you better make an impression early and often. If it was Steve Johnson’s intention to get the Buffalo Bills’ attention, he is succeeding.

“He’s doing a good job,” Bills wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert said . “He’s like all the other rookies, the head’s spinning a little bit. But he’s a playmaking guy. We were very fortunate to get him where we drafted him because we had a higher grade than where we got him.”

Like the Bills, Johnson was stunned he had to wait so long to get a telephone call from an NFL team during the draft. But the former University of Kentucky star has gotten over the disappointment.

“I’m here now so I don’t really have to worry about what happened in the past,” he said. “All I’ve got to do is go forward and everything will be all good.”

Johnson has been pretty good for most of the Bills’ voluntary practice sessions. He has impressive size at 6-foot-2 and 202 pounds, which was a big reason the Bills drafted him and 6-6 James Hardy.

What stands out about Johnson is his good hands and ability to run after the catch. His route running needs polishing, but he doesn’t seem to have a problem getting open.

“You can see that he has good ability,” Tolbert said. “He still has a lot to learn, but he’s off to a good start.”
                              Johnson will definitely have a chance to make some noise since it's pretty wide open at the WR position. At the very least I expect him to be a special teams stud.

~The Answer

Comment

Working...
                              X