PDA

View Full Version : Late pick making an impression

YardRat
06-11-2008, 06:22 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/367424.html

He seems to make a play in every practice, earning the praise of his coaches and teammates alike. When the work is over and the players leave the field, he remains to catch extra passes from the Jugs machine.

When you are a seventh-round draft pick you better make an impression early and often. If it was Steve Johnson’s intention to get the Buffalo Bills’ attention, he is succeeding.

“He’s doing a good job,” Bills wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert said . “He’s like all the other rookies, the head’s spinning a little bit. But he’s a playmaking guy. We were very fortunate to get him where we drafted him because we had a higher grade than where we got him.”

Like the Bills, Johnson was stunned he had to wait so long to get a telephone call from an NFL team during the draft. But the former University of Kentucky star has gotten over the disappointment.

“I’m here now so I don’t really have to worry about what happened in the past,” he said. “All I’ve got to do is go forward and everything will be all good.”

Johnson has been pretty good for most of the Bills’ voluntary practice sessions. He has impressive size at 6-foot-2 and 202 pounds, which was a big reason the Bills drafted him and 6-6 James Hardy.

What stands out about Johnson is his good hands and ability to run after the catch. His route running needs polishing, but he doesn’t seem to have a problem getting open.

“You can see that he has good ability,” Tolbert said. “He still has a lot to learn, but he’s off to a good start.”

User Manuel
06-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Paul Hamilton said yesterday on WGR that if he had to predict right now he thought Johnson would be the #5 receiver.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 07:39 AM
I liked the pick when we made it, and was surprised Johnson lasted until the 7th round. I think he'll be on the opening day roster, and just might make some contributions during the season.

madness
06-11-2008, 08:04 AM
I really hope this guy makes the roster. I think we've had enough injuries last season to cover the next 5 but if the injury bug ever hits our WR's, I feel somewhat comfortable about this guy's ability to step up his game.

Devin
06-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Guy could totally develop into a great slot receiver.

justasportsfan
06-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Watching his combine videos , he reminded me of Lynch at his combine. Smooth . I think he's gonna be this years biggest steal.

OpIv37
06-11-2008, 08:37 AM
WR was probably our weakest position coming into this season, so anything this guy can contribute will be a big help.

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Guy needs a lot of time before we can expect any kind of serious contribution from him. He has good hands, but not great size, not great speed, and routes need a lot of work. He is not a good blocker and has big consistency issues. I think he makes the team and like Devin said could really develop into a good slot WR but he'll need 2-3 years before we see that.

Michael82
06-11-2008, 09:10 AM
They had him as the biggest steal of the draft in Bills Digest and said that he will most likely make the team.

Romes
06-11-2008, 09:20 AM
Colston V2.0?? :idunno:

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 09:25 AM
They had him as the biggest steal of the draft in Bills Digest and said that he will most likely make the team.

That wouldn't be a bias publication right? Biggest steal of the draft was by far Dan Connor in Round 3 by Carolina.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Guy needs a lot of time before we can expect any kind of serious contribution from him. He has good hands, but not great size, not great speed, and routes need a lot of work. He is not a good blocker and has big consistency issues. I think he makes the team and like Devin said could really develop into a good slot WR but he'll need 2-3 years before we see that.
You may be right on speed, route running and blocking, but the guy is 6'2" and 202 lbs. I think he has some size, but I'm just an optimistic fan, so I'm probably wrong.

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 09:47 AM
You may be right on speed, route running and blocking, but the guy is 6'2" and 202 lbs. I think he has some size, but I'm just an optimistic fan, so I'm probably wrong.

While that's true, I never said he didnt have size I said he didnt have great size. If I could field of team of dream WR's they would all be 6'4, 225 and run 4.4 40's. That's a WR with great size, not Johnson.

dasaybz
06-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Special teams player. That's about it.

The Answer
06-11-2008, 11:40 AM

He seems to make a play in every practice, earning the praise of his coaches and teammates alike. When the work is over and the players leave the field, he remains to catch extra passes from the Jugs machine.

When you are a seventh-round draft pick you better make an impression early and often. If it was Steve Johnson’s intention to get the Buffalo Bills’ attention, he is succeeding.

“He’s doing a good job,” Bills wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert said . “He’s like all the other rookies, the head’s spinning a little bit. But he’s a playmaking guy. We were very fortunate to get him where we drafted him because we had a higher grade than where we got him.”

Like the Bills, Johnson was stunned he had to wait so long to get a telephone call from an NFL team during the draft. But the former University of Kentucky star has gotten over the disappointment.

“I’m here now so I don’t really have to worry about what happened in the past,” he said. “All I’ve got to do is go forward and everything will be all good.”

Johnson has been pretty good for most of the Bills’ voluntary practice sessions. He has impressive size at 6-foot-2 and 202 pounds, which was a big reason the Bills drafted him and 6-6 James Hardy.

What stands out about Johnson is his good hands and ability to run after the catch. His route running needs polishing, but he doesn’t seem to have a problem getting open.

“You can see that he has good ability,” Tolbert said. “He still has a lot to learn, but he’s off to a good start.”

Johnson will definitely have a chance to make some noise since it's pretty wide open at the WR position. At the very least I expect him to be a special teams stud.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
have the pads come on yet? I remember Nance making the best impression at camp until the pads came on

The Spaz
06-11-2008, 12:45 PM
have the pads come on yet? I remember Nance making the best impression at camp until the pads came on

Point taken but the bills feel Johnson was at least worthy of drafting

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Point taken but the bills feel Johnson was at least worthy of drafting

Bills felt Mike Williams was worth of drafting too, I dont understand your point.

The Spaz
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Bills felt Mike Williams was worth of drafting too, I dont understand your point.

Regardless of how Mike Williams panned out he was graded as a first round pick. Larry Nance was a UDFA who had very slim odds on making the team to begin with. I am just saying the Bills obviously have confidence that Johnson can make the team hence drafting him.

Oaf
06-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Guy could totally develop into a great slot receiver.
So could Jonathan Smith, Sam Aiken, Avion Black, and Reggie Germany. :::

Who was that Jeremy guy we had in 02? Daniel something? Wasn't he any good? What happened to him?

mysticsoto
06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
That wouldn't be a bias publication right? Biggest steal of the draft was by far Dan Connor in Round 3 by Carolina.

Connor might be the biggest steal of the draft on paper. It'll remain to be seen which one actually proves to be the biggest steal of the draft based on production...

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Connor might be the biggest steal of the draft on paper. It'll remain to be seen which one actually proves to be the biggest steal of the draft based on production...

Well yes obviously.

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Regardless of how Mike Williams panned out he was graded as a first round pick. Larry Nance was a UDFA who had very slim odds on making the team to begin with. I am just saying the Bills obviously have confidence that Johnson can make the team hence drafting him.

Yea still not seeing what your point is. Just because the Bills have confidence in him doesn't mean anything. Their drafting history is not stellar.

The Spaz
06-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Yea still not seeing what your point is. Just because the Bills have confidence in him doesn't mean anything. Their drafting history is not stellar.

If you don't understand then I don't know what I can tell you.

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 03:13 PM
If you don't understand then I don't know what I can tell you.

Well lets try it this way then; Your point is that since Buffalo drafted him they think he can make the team?

I guess my question is that is there a team you know of that drafts guys it doesnt think can make their team? That's where my confusion is, I dont understand what your trying to say in reference to the discussion. Yes of course they thought he could make the team, why else would you draft a guy?

The Spaz
06-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Well lets try it this way then; Your point is that since Buffalo drafted him they think he can make the team?

I guess my question is that is there a team you know of that drafts guys it doesnt think can make their team? That's where my confusion is, I dont understand what your trying to say in reference to the discussion. Yes of course they thought he could make the team, why else would you draft a guy?

Ok I guess bottom line is I think Steve Johnson has a better shot than Larry Nance had at making the team. This is my opinion obviously. If he doesn't oh well he was a 7th round pick.

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Ok I guess bottom line is I think Steve Johnson has a better shot than Larry Nance had at making the team. This is my opinion obviously. If he doesn't oh well he was a 7th round pick.

My opinion is that I think Johnson makes it and who the hell is Larry Nance? Do you mean Martin Nance from a few years ago?

Also I dont agree with your last line, I dont think that anybody we pick should not make the team. To me that is automatically a bad pick no matter if he's picked in Round 1 or Round 7. I want every guy my team takes to make the team out of TC, no questions and no exceptions.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Not only did the Bills like Johnson in the draft - I believe he had a higher grade than where he was picked - but he has shown really good hands, separation and RAC ability so far in the OTAs.

So I think there is room for at least some cautious optimism.

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Not only did the Bills like Johnson in the draft - I believe he had a higher grade than where he was picked - but he has shown really good hands, separation and RAC ability so far in the OTAs.

So I think there is room for at least some cautious optimism.

5th-6th round grade by my rankings

The Spaz
06-11-2008, 03:44 PM
My opinion is that I think Johnson makes it and who the hell is Larry Nance? Do you mean Martin Nance from a few years ago?

Also I dont agree with your last line, I dont think that anybody we pick should not make the team. To me that is automatically a bad pick no matter if he's picked in Round 1 or Round 7. I want every guy my team takes to make the team out of TC, no questions and no exceptions.

Yeah Martin Nance was watching older NBA playoff series of the Cavs. lol. I want every pick to make it too but it doesn't always happen. Also he was a comp pick wasn't he? If he was it's an upgraded UDFA. I want him to make it because he will help the team and I like his attitude.

The Spaz
06-11-2008, 03:44 PM
At the very least he makes the PS.

Michael82
06-11-2008, 05:01 PM
sorry, I meant the biggest steal of the Bills draft. :doh:

X-Era
06-11-2008, 06:41 PM

Been saying since day one that hes my sleeper from this years draft. He can play and play well.

Al the Bills Fan
06-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Colston V2.0?? :idunno:

We can only hope!!!

FlyingDutchman
06-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Id say if Johnson comes in and contributes whatsoever at WR or on ST considering he was a 7th round pick, it was a steal. I hope he works on tackling and can become another sam aiken with better receiving ability.

mikemac2001
06-11-2008, 10:20 PM
So could Jonathan Smith, Sam Aiken, Avion Black, and Reggie Germany. :::

Who was that Jeremy guy we had in 02? Daniel something? Wasn't he any good? What happened to him?

Jeremy Mcdanial i believe he was 86 or something solid slot guy but we sucked then