PDA

View Full Version : The irrational Jason Peters thread

Stewie
06-11-2008, 10:17 AM
he really should show up...

BuffaloBillsStampede
06-11-2008, 10:25 AM
What an ass. The team that took a chance on him and just gave him a new contract I think last year or the year before and now he wants to pull this ****. Peters is one of my favorite Bills, but wont be for long if he doesn't get his lard ass to camp.

mysticsoto
06-11-2008, 10:29 AM
The season is over b'cse Jason Peters didn't show up... :(

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 10:36 AM
He should be there, but let's not go into Chicken Little mode quite yet.

justasportsfan
06-11-2008, 10:41 AM
If JP can show up, no reason why Peters can't.

patmoran2006
06-11-2008, 10:41 AM
The season is over b'cse Jason Peters didn't show up... :(This offense will suck if he's not playing LT on opening day and Chambers is.

Buckets
06-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Apparently Peters is the one who thinks the sky will fall if he doesn't show. I just lost a lot of respect for a guy we took a chance on.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 10:46 AM
This offense will suck if he's not playing LT on opening day and Chambers is.
I doubt very much that Peters will sit out the season and give up $3.5 Million, or whatever he's making. This is only the first day of mandatory camp. I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Stewie
06-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Gotta take care of Lee first.

I like Peters a lot, love his football story. If this act continues for too long I'll be forced to re-evaluate my opinion.

patmoran2006
I'm not excited. Im wondering why we're sitting on well over $30 million in cap room, while between Evans, Crowell or Peters, NONE of them have been given a new contract.

Philagape
So how long are the two teams going to play chicken while a new offense tries to establish itself without him? If Peters blinks, then it's still wasted time for everyone; and if the Bills blink, it sends the message that holding out works (a message that could have been avoided if this had been resolved by now).

mysticsoto
He should be there, but let's not go into Chicken Little mode quite yet.

Why not? This is the "irrational" thread...

http://www.consoleconspiracy.com/ps2-1.jpg

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm not excited. Im wondering why we're sitting on well over $30 million in cap room, while between Evans, Crowell or Peters, NONE of them have been given a new contract.
Yeah, I agree with you there.

Mitchy moo
06-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Yeah, I agree with you there.

If Peters plays great to start the season, he should get a upgraded contract. Until then this is just wrong.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 11:03 AM
If Peters plays great to start the season, he should get a upgraded contract. Until then this is just wrong.
Evans and Crowell, who are in the last year of their contracts, should get priority over Peters.

bigbub2352
06-11-2008, 11:04 AM
He should have showed up and made it obvious he wants a new contract thru his agent and behind closed doors, like someone with class a true professional, u signed that deal in 06 licidity split and then cause 4mil is chump change u want more money, sad sad sad this league has become

bigbub2352
06-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Evans and Crowell, who are in the last year of their contracts, should get priority over Peters.

couldnt agree more, especially after 32 teams passed up his ass, and he was groomed here to make the money he is cause he was nothing till he went to OT, and that is the Bills brass that saw it and developed him into the player he is,, NO CLASS

Bulldog
06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
couldnt agree more, especially after 32 teams passed up his ass, and he was groomed here to make the money he is cause he was nothing till he went to OT, and that is the Bills brass that saw it and developed him into the player he is,, NO CLASS

Fans can say this until they're blue in the face, but the facts remain that there are two other o-lineman on Buffalo's roster that make more than he does. Which, when one considers his talent and the position he plays, is just wrong. It's not Peters fault the market went nutty. As Pat said, Buffalo still has over $30 mil in unused cap space, and tying up Peters long term would be a wise investment. That being said, Peters has little or no leverage in the situation thanks to the extension he signed back in 06, so he should really be at camp this week.

yordad
06-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I would play hard ball. Tell him to show up or shut up. Because he is trying to hold us ransom, I would make him playout the reminder of his three years, then franchise him twice.

Tell him if he shuts up and plays, he might get a raise next year.

methos4ever
06-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Well, we have the 30 million they're "sitting" on, but if they get the deals done between weeks 1-4 like I think they'll do, we'll also get credits that will help for the next year's crop of free agents.

I don't think they're hoarding it in the sense that they don't want to pay players; but with the new CBA they are going to have to fit things into the Cap a year or two less than usual.

Typ0
06-11-2008, 04:10 PM
This comes up from time to time. I wish someone who really knew would confirm this question I've had for quite a while. I know the contracts are not guaranteed...but I would like to know if the players can purchase insurance against career ending injuries. I kind of expect that is the case and drives a lot of these situations because the size of the insurance policy is going to be determined by the lifetime value of the player in the marketplace...which goes up considerably based on $$ and length of contract signed. We're talking about disability insurance for athletes here and it really makes sense. Assuming this is the case I have to say there is good reason for a player who is drastically below their real value to not play due to the risk and their inability to protect themselves.

raphael120
06-11-2008, 04:34 PM
If i were Peters, i would hold out too.

Youre paid the third most on the O-line and youre the best one on the oline in the most critical position and went to the Pro Bowl...yeah...pay the guy or someother team will.

justasportsfan
06-12-2008, 09:35 AM
This comes up from time to time. I wish someone who really knew would confirm this question I've had for quite a while. I know the contracts are not guaranteed...but I would like to know if the players can purchase insurance against career ending injuries. I kind of expect that is the case and drives a lot of these situations because the size of the insurance policy is going to be determined by the lifetime value of the player in the marketplace...which goes up considerably based on $$ and length of contract signed. We're talking about disability insurance for athletes here and it really makes sense. Assuming this is the case I have to say there is good reason for a player who is drastically below their real value to not play due to the risk and their inability to protect themselves.
I know European soccer players can insure their legs.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2008, 11:28 AM

Yes, such insurance is available. However, due to the rate injuries occur it is expensive to carry and not really worth it. It is kind of like trying to get flood insurance in New Orleans or Earthquake insurance in California.

The other factor is limited liability. Usually, such a policy will cover only a one-time injury that ends a career (like what Kevin Everett suffered). It gets cloudy when the matter isn't clear. Was the injury truly career-ending, or could the player still play just not on as high a level? Was it a one-time event that led to the injury, or was it due to wear-end-tear over a number of years?

Curtis Martin had such a policy and tried to cash in on it when his knee injury led him to retirement. However, the insurer wouldn't pay, because they said it wasn't due to a one-time event but was wear over the course of time. Clouding it further was Martin re-habbing the injury for more than a year before deciding he couldn't play anymore. He ended up suing insurer, and I'm not sure it has been litigated or if a settlement was reached.

At any rate, because of the nature of injuries in the NFL, those types of policies are difficult to write, hard to collect on and expensive to buy. That is why you don't see them often.

yordad
06-12-2008, 11:55 AM
If i were Peters, i would hold out too.

Youre paid the third most on the O-line and youre the best one on the oline in the most critical position and went to the Pro Bowl...yeah...pay the guy or someother team will.And, how exactly is this other team gonna go and do that?

Typ0
06-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Yes, such insurance is available. However, due to the rate injuries occur it is expensive to carry and not really worth it. It is kind of like trying to get flood insurance in New Orleans or Earthquake insurance in California.

The other factor is limited liability. Usually, such a policy will cover only a one-time injury that ends a career (like what Kevin Everett suffered). It gets cloudy when the matter isn't clear. Was the injury truly career-ending, or could the player still play just not on as high a level? Was it a one-time event that led to the injury, or was it due to wear-end-tear over a number of years?

Curtis Martin had such a policy and tried to cash in on it when his knee injury led him to retirement. However, the insurer wouldn't pay, because they said it wasn't due to a one-time event but was wear over the course of time. Clouding it further was Martin re-habbing the injury for more than a year before deciding he couldn't play anymore. He ended up suing insurer, and I'm not sure it has been litigated or if a settlement was reached.

At any rate, because of the nature of injuries in the NFL, those types of policies are difficult to write, hard to collect on and expensive to buy. That is why you don't see them often.

everyone in NO has flood insurance...and everyone in CA has earthquake insurance. I don't mean to argue with you...but Curtis Martin was near the end of his career so the situation is a lot different there. I'm talking about insurance from lost cash flows. It's nice to know that this stuff does exists though because I was just going on an assumption that made sense. I can do the math that would make business sense for an insurance company to offer such in insurance and a player to want it especially early in their career when they are signing their first contracts. That's really when it would benefit both parties the most. Later careers would be different.

Bill Brasky
06-12-2008, 12:22 PM

maybe toronto can sign them? after all, they have all the tall buildings and money.

Ickybaluky
06-12-2008, 12:40 PM
everyone in NO has flood insurance...and everyone in CA has earthquake insurance. I don't mean to argue with you...but Curtis Martin was near the end of his career so the situation is a lot different there. I'm talking about insurance from lost cash flows. It's nice to know that this stuff does exists though because I was just going on an assumption that made sense. I can do the math that would make business sense for an insurance company to offer such in insurance and a player to want it especially early in their career when they are signing their first contracts. That's really when it would benefit both parties the most. Later careers would be different.

There are cases where you can't get insurance on certain things in certain areas because it is too cost-prohibitive. That is all I'm saying. For a player to get salary insurance is expensive and difficult to get paid on. I know Al Toon had it when he retired due to concussions, but he collected about $65K one-time despite his having 2 years left on his contract for about $1.35M. Insurance companies aren't thrilled at the prospect of paying out large sums of money, so they but a lot of contingencies on such policies.

Injuries in the NFL are had to classify, so specifying whether an injury is something you can collect on his hard. Because of that grey area underwriting a contract is hard. For instance, some guys end up in retirement because of concussions. Does that count as career-ending? Insurance companies would argue that the player can play. Though the problem is long-term effects, you can find doctors who disagree on exactly what those are.

It is common for college players to get policies. Top-level Juniors can get policies against injury. However, in those cases it is easy to measure the effect of the injury, since the player is either going to be drafted high or not if he suffers an injury. For instance, Willis McGahee had a $2.5M injury insurance policy at Miami, but he ultimately wasn't able to collect on it because it wasn't career-ending and he was drafted. Andre' Johnson and Boss Bailey also had policies, although Lloyd's of London turned down Dwayne Robertson when he tried to get one.

However, as common as such insurance policies are for college players, they arne't as common in the pros (or are limited as to how much you can collect, as in the case of Toon). The reason is because it is hard to write a policy which satisfies the insurer while making it worthwhile to the player.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Yes! I get to be irrational and just RANT... all right... here goes.

This is BS. First Lynch gets himself in a hit and run and now Peters pulls this garbage. These are the two players that are supposed to be the lynchpin of this otherwise anemic offense (how long have we been griping about the offensive line) and now they pull stunts like this. It's as if they love snubbing Buffalo and guaranteeing yet another missed playoffs AGAIN. Whose payroll are these guys on-- ours or Belichick's?

I propose looking up where these people live and ransacking the place.

(Remember... this is the IRRATIONAL thread. Don't take it seriously. Yet.)