PDA

View Full Version : Profootballcentral: Derek Fine interview

The Answer
06-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Interesting - he admits the Bills were the only team that interviewed him at the combine. He also didn't think he was going to be drafted so high...

http://www.profootballcentral.com/2008/06/10/pfc-exclusive-interview-with-rookie-bills-te-derek-fine/

PFC Exclusive Interview With Rookie Bills TE Derek Fine

June 10th, 2008

By PFC Bills Writer Jay Kommuru
Derek Fine, TE. Drafted 4th round in the 2008 NFL draft by the Buffalo Bills.

Interview.

Jay Kommuru: Did you meet with the Bills during the combine or prior to the draft?

Derek Fine: The only time was Combine; they were the only team that interviewed me.

JK: What was your initial reaction when you found out that you got drafted in the 4th round by Buffalo?

DF: To be honest I was a little surprised that I was picked in the 4th round. I knew a lot of things had to work out to be picked that early, so I was happy that it worked out that way. I had a good idea that the Bills were interested since they were the only team who interviewed me at the combine. But after the combine they never contacted me at all.

JK: Why do you think the Bills took you a little earlier than you expected?

DF: I’m 24 so that helped out with my maturity level and that was pretty big with them. I can do a lot of different things – build a block on the move, catch balls, run routes, and play ST which is always a big deal in Buffalo. I fit the mold for the utility guy that they look for in Buffalo and combine that with my maturity level, I think they liked what they saw on tape and took a shot............................

~The Answer
<!-- by Brian -->

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I think the Fine pick will prove the genius of the Bills' FO.

Maybe.

Mitchy moo
06-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I think the Fine pick will prove the genius of the Bills' FO.

Maybe.

So you maybe think it will prove as such, still giving yourself a way out.

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I still dont like the pick, and think it was a bad reach. Id love to be proved wrong but I dont think I will be.

BlackMetalNinja
06-11-2008, 12:23 PM

He could have made a direct statement and then said the complete opposite a few months down the road... more up your alley right?

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Kind of.

raphael120
06-11-2008, 01:39 PM
HA!

So Fine thinks he was drafted too high. I think in the history of the draft, no one has ever said they were drafted too high! WOW!

Ugh...well, McCargo and Whitner were drafted too high too, IMO. This is the year for them to prove they weren't reaches.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2008, 01:41 PM
HA!

So Fine thinks he was drafted too high. I think in the history of the draft, no one has ever said they were drafted too high! WOW!
Just shows how intelligent - and humble - he is. Two great traits.

DraftBoy
06-11-2008, 02:26 PM

No comment...

gr8slayer
06-11-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm still not a fan of the pick but like all rookies he gets three years.

Oaf
06-11-2008, 02:53 PM
All mini camp talk is on Shouman and Royal who likely won't be more than marginal starters. Then we have past rejects in Johnson and Anderson. Then we have Fine. If we were going to address the position at all, why didn't we address it to improve over what we already have plenty of? :cynic:

gr8slayer
06-11-2008, 02:55 PM
One thing I've learned is that you'll always see "this guy or that guy is having a great camp." A lot of times it's just using trade bait via the media; let everyone else out there think he's doing great and you might get a stupid trade offer from another team.

raphael120
06-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Or how dumb and mismanaged the Bills FO is.

gr8slayer
06-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Agreed, there's nothing wrong with millionaire athletes being humble. Frankly I wish more of them were sometimes.

The Spaz
06-11-2008, 04:59 PM
He'll be Fine...:idunno: